Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merging Digital Stamps

Hi there, I am trying to figure out how to merge multiple digi's to make a scene on a page. I've downloaded Inkscape and am having trouble figuring it out. Any ideas?? Tutorials??

Thanks, Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Nicole,

I am assuming most of the images you have, have a white background.

I think Inkscape is more of a vector program and you may find it easier with a free photo editing program called GIMP. You can of course get Photoshop Elements.

There are a couple of things you need to learn when creating a scene

1. Layers - this is where the program allows you to have each image or element in the scene on a new layer, so you can freely move it around without disrupting the other 'layers' in the scene.

2. Magic Wand tool - This is fabulous for removing the white background from 'outside' the lines. Simply select the tool, click into the white area and it should select an outline of the white, then hit delete. However, not all images will have perfectly closed lines and so you may find parts or the whole image will become transparent.

3. This is when you create a 'new layer' UNDER the image you made transparent and use the 'paint brush' tool to paint back in the white areas. By doing this on a new layer under the outline you wont make a mistake and go over the lines.

If you get images that already have a transparent background 'around' the opaque image then you can use a program as simple as MSWord to create a scene. There are a few more companies now supplying their images in this format so people can create scenes. I have a video on how to use my images here in MS Word. Just look at the description when you are buying and see if they mention the image comes suitable for layering.

There is also a step by step guide with images going through what I tried to explain above though using Photoshop Elements - GIMP is essentially the same but free.

I am going to see if I can make a video of how to use GIMP. Just a time factor.

Here is a link to GIMP if it helps.

Hope this helps a little and you get hooked on scenes like me!

Zoe xxoo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you sooooo much Zoe. It's really ironic, I was just watching your video just before I checked my emails. I finally figured out (thanks to DH) how to do it in inkscape but I will also check out gimp. I was unsuccessful so far trying it in word. I seem to be missing a step maybe. When I put one image infront of the other ( 2 girls overlapping) there is this white space. But I'll keep watching the video and see if I am missing something. Also, love the digi stamps on your site. Especially the mushroom and boot houses!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Nic,

Hahaa, fancy that! I am only just managing to find my way around this place and had posted the video on another thread so you may have seen it there.

Unfortunately MSWord has no way of 'editing' an image. It can only 'display' the image you place in it (other than resizing, flipping etc). So when you insert an image that is a JPG image it will always have the white background. There is a way to remove the white in MSWord however it removes ALL the white and so you can see the image in the background through the image in the front.

Some digital stamp companies are realising that people are enjoying making a scene and are beginning to offer the images like I do in a PNG format that is not FULLY transparent. Thus they are pre-colouring the image in with a white background and only leaving the outside transparent so that more people can easily create a scene using programs like MSWord.

But of course that is taking a while to take off so that's where the photo editing programs come in where you can remove the white space yourself. I'm happy to hear you found a way to play with it though as it is so much fun creating your own scene.

The only thing I will mention just in case you were unaware, is that some artists like to be informed if you plan to use one of their images with a different artists image. So if in doubt after reading their usage policy best to shoot them an email to let them know you would like to use their image with so and so's image and is that OK.

I have come across this a few times myself so thought I would let you know. And thanks for the feedback on my little houses!

hugs

Zoe xxoo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes