Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you gain followers?

I've had my blog for a year now and have slowly gained followers finally reaching 80 just last month. I was wondering how you go about gaining more followers? I'm using networkblogs on facebook and offer blog candy every so often. Any other ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

thanks for your input. i have given away some blog candy and gained some that way but i just seem to be at a standstill now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Doing giveaways does help, but I make a point to not REQUIRE that they follow because I don't want people following just for that. I have found that following other blogs and regularly commenting on the blogs of those who leave comments on mine adds to my followers. I also participate in large blog parties which offers a lot of exposure and opportunities for people to find my blog and choose to follow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

i did the requiring thing once for blog candy but not after that. i want people to follow because they want to
maybe i'll have to do more commenting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Thats why I said why I follow...I don't think you want freebie hunters like me I bet more people follow you than you realise they just haven't subscribed the offical way. My best sites are bookmarked I don't want to lose them and I bet you have loads of hidden followers you blog is great I had a look and book marked
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by krewellaView Post
Thats why I said why I follow...I don't think you want freebie hunters like me I bet more people follow you than you realise they just haven't subscribed the offical way. My best sites are bookmarked I don't want to lose them and I bet you have loads of hidden followers you blog is great I had a look and book marked
thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been blogging since March last year and have gained followers by doing the Challenges here on SCS as I get more views for my cards that way. When I post my card here at SCS, I add a link directly to my card on my Blog - get lots of visitors from doing that.

I also enter quite a few competitions outside SCS and this seems to generate followers too. I also post some of my cards on Flickr to several stamp company's galleries with a link to my Blog with the card, and I have gained several Followers that way too (and discovered lots of other blogs in the process too!).

It is also helpful when you do a post, to name the post something that allows Search Engines to find your Blog, for eg: when I post a card with a particular company's stamp, instead of just saying "another birthday card" for the post name, I will include the stamp name or Cuttlebug folder name in that post name - say something like: "Penny Black Where's Dinner boy's birthday card" or "Stampendous Birthday Balloons boy's 7th birthday card". When someone types something like "Penny Black Where's Dinner" in a search engine, your post name (if it is more specific) will be more likely to be found than if you just use a generic post name. Hope that makes sense. I learnt this from a computer geek who writes a column about computers and blogs in our national newspaper. Stop by my Blog and look at my Post Names to give you some more examples of what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I have been blogging since March last year and have gained followers by doing the Challenges here on SCS as I get more views for my cards that way. When I post my card here at SCS, I add a link directly to my card on my Blog - get lots of visitors from doing that.

I also enter quite a few competitions outside SCS and this seems to generate followers too. I also post some of my cards on Flickr to several stamp company's galleries with a link to my Blog with the card, and I have gained several Followers that way too (and discovered lots of other blogs in the process too!).

It is also helpful when you do a post, to name the post something that allows Search Engines to find your Blog, for eg: when I post a card with a particular company's stamp, instead of just saying "another birthday card" for the post name, I will include the stamp name or Cuttlebug folder name in that post name - say something like: "Penny Black Where's Dinner boy's birthday card" or "Stampendous Birthday Balloons boy's 7th birthday card". When someone types something like "Penny Black Where's Dinner" in a search engine, your post name (if it is more specific) will be more likely to be found than if you just use a generic post name. Hope that makes sense. I learnt this from a computer geek who writes a column about computers and blogs in our national newspaper. Stop by my Blog and look at my Post Names to give you some more examples of what I mean.
Thanks Jocelyn for all the great advice. I try to link my blog whenever I post a card here on scs. Stopped by your blog, its great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

You are welcome sweetie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the same problem but I only have 41 followers so your doing better than me. It blows my mind that some people have a 1000 plus followers. Maybe someday good luck.
Jamie
http://craftygirl21.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Just a thought...as I said I am very new to bloging and I only learned resently about following...maybe a little note on your blogs about following and rss feeds...because I know I have ladies at work who refuse to press any buttons unless they know what it does first.

I forgot to say I had a quick peek and I think all your blogs are lovely...makes me wish I was a better crafter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrose21View Post
I have the same problem but I only have 41 followers so your doing better than me. It blows my mind that some people have a 1000 plus followers. Maybe someday good luck.
Jamie
Crafty Girl 21!
i know i can hardly imagine that many. i'm just trying to get to a 100 lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by krewellaView Post
Just a thought...as I said I am very new to bloging and I only learned resently about following...maybe a little note on your blogs about following and rss feeds...because I know I have ladies at work who refuse to press any buttons unless they know what it does first.

I forgot to say I had a quick peek and I think all your blogs are lovely...makes me wish I was a better crafter
thanks i know several don't understand the following thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

You have one more follower, Carrie! ;)

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

well I thought that having 11 followers was doing good until I read this (lol). Does it really matter how many followers we have?? My blog is mostly about my crazy life but I do post my cards, LOs and now my soaps will be there. I can't teach or give away things so to me 11 is more than I expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with you, I have 5 followers. I just started doing the blog challenges and did get some comments which was great. I am still not really technical, so its all a big learning curve for me. (but it is fun)

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisydillyView Post
well I thought that having 11 followers was doing good until I read this (lol). Does it really matter how many followers we have?? My blog is mostly about my crazy life but I do post my cards, LOs and now my soaps will be there. I can't teach or give away things so to me 11 is more than I expected.
I like when people follow my blog, it makes me feel the blogging is all worthwhile that there really is someone out there reading what I post and looking at my creations, and maybe I'm inspiring someone to create something or they feel the same way I do about a product and can share their insight with me in a comment. I like the sharing. Otherwise what's the point of blogging if no one is following?

I was just curious as how to pick the momentum back up again as I've been at a stalemate for months of gaining new followers. I don't want it to seem like I'm looking at this as a competition or anything and hope I didn't come across that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=stamp_cat;17927285]I'm with you, I have 5 followers. I just started doing the blog challenges and did get some comments which was great. I am still not really technical, so its all a big learning curve for me. (but it is fun)[/QUOTE

I think your blog is very nice. I joined as a follower.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I was just curious as how to pick the momentum back up again as I've been at a stalemate for months of gaining new followers. I don't want it to seem like I'm looking at this as a competition or anything and hope I didn't come across that way.[/QUOTE]

No you didn't come across that way . I've followed blogs where they just have to have a zillion followers just for a contest ( or bragging rights). Whats the point in that?? When you have a desire-like you do-to try to inspire than having a zillion is worth it. Good luck at getting those new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

thanks daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

No I didn't take it that way either...I know what you mean about sharing...I know loads of people sell there cutting files and mine are free. My husband thinks I'm mad just giving them away..then I showed him an email from someone who had been very ill and said seeing the files had started her crafting again..to me (after a tear or two lol) that was worth selling 100 templates. Even by sharing this coversation I have gained at least 5 new blogs that inspire me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to KJ0915

I find that the more I comment on other people's blogs (and follow them through google) that i gain people that way. I have held color combo contests on my blog (and have totally slacked on that as of late) but that has brought me followers as well.

www.kjsstamppad.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrie, have you looked at your Subscribers and NOT followers? I subscribe to your blog, but I don't know that I "follow" it. I will show up in your stats in google. It is just about preference in my google reader. ;) I have 8x the amount of subscribers than I do followers...just saying the "following" stat is not an accurate view. See, you might be over 100 and not know it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
Carrie, have you looked at your Subscribers and NOT followers? I subscribe to your blog, but I don't know that I "follow" it. I will show up in your stats in google. It is just about preference in my google reader. ;) I have 8x the amount of subscribers than I do followers...just saying the "following" stat is not an accurate view. See, you might be over 100 and not know it!!
where do you see subscribers at?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Account settings-Webmaster Tools-(you might have to add your blog here, mine is shown but I may have added it a long time ago!)-click on your blog name-then left side in the dashboard, click the + to expand it, click on "subscriber stats"

You can also play in there and see all sorts of stuff...most popular posts, etc. It is pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Again, it is just a preference for many people to subscribe and not follow. I actually really dislike the google Follower application for that reason. I like to organize the blogs in my reader by folder...like with my blog groups, cricut stuff, etc and if you use the "follower" button it organizes them for you. I hate it! (Oh my gosh...my OCD is like totally apparent, isn't it??!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

omgosh i didnt even know about this. its too early for data to show so i'll check tomorrow. thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Really? Is that because you had to add your blog? I was able to see mine when I went to it. (I had to go there because I could not remember the map from memory! LOL)

I think there is also a way you see when someone unsubscribes, but I am not that smart yet! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
Really? Is that because you had to add your blog? I was able to see mine when I went to it. (I had to go there because I could not remember the map from memory! LOL)

I think there is also a way you see when someone unsubscribes, but I am not that smart yet! ;)
i don't know. i had to click the add this blog button maybe thats why
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, then probably. Yay for new discoveries!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Carrie,

I just found your thread. I too often wonder how people get so many followers. I am in three blog groups, offer blog candy every couple of months, and do challenges on SCS when I can and I still haven't reached as many followers as you have.

When you find the secret will you let me know ... lol? I'm off to check out some of your blogs right now. Maybe we can help each other out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Carrie!

I just found your post and will go check out your blog after I send this reply in!

How I found I gained more followers, is to participate in alot of challenges. I then go and comment on the wonderful creations of others who have also done the challenges. I've found some super cool blogs doing this and have made some lovely friends too!

Also, wherever I upload any photo of a card I make, I link it to my blog so that people might come and have a cuppa and check out my stuff!

Hope that helps a bit.

Karen
x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Carrie.. I just came across this post and wow your blog is amazing. I love your creations. I am a new follower
I have been wondering the same about how you get followers and such. I started my blog a while back but have not really advertised or anything. I have not been on SCS for a while but it's in my Siggy. I am hosting a Blog Candy contest for anyone who would like to join. Following is not req but you do have to make a project and share
There are so many amazing Blogs out. I usually follow or sign up for Email notifications when I really want to keep up with 1.
off to check out some of the other Blogs here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

thanks chris, i will have to stop by your blog. i've been linking my projects on here to my blog as well which seems to have brought some new people by. i'm trying to figure out the webmaster tools my3littlemonkies talked about data is just starting to show up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Another thing that I did when I started my Blog last year was when I send emails to friends/family/acquaintances/craft suppliers/stores etc., I put my name at the bottom of my emails, I include a link to my Blog. I would imagine that all email programs have the capacity to include a Hyperlink that people just click on to go to your Blog. So my siggy might look like:

{{hugs}}
Jocelyn

Instead of Ironing Blogspot
or I might put: My Card and Craft Blog

So, for example, if I mail-ordered something from a store, and I am emailing a reply to say my goods have arrived or perhaps a thank you for their great service etc., I will have my siggy as above - it's just a good little way of getting your Blog/yourself "out there". One time, some months after I had corresponded with an online store, they emailed asked me I would consider being on their DT (I couldn't because of my other DT commitments), but it was good to see how you can sow a seed which starts growing somewhere out there on the web!

I also agree with Carrie aka stamper272001 about when I enter Challenges, I look at other people's cards and leave comments and I too have come across some amazing blogs and amazing people and that's how I start to follow other people's blogs - so I figure it works the other way too! I often find that the more comments I leave, the more visitors I get.

Carrie: in the last few days, I have added Feedburner by Google to my Blog so that people can get Email subscriptions and can also subscribe in a different Feeder other than Google, eg: Yahoo. I did have an Email subscription box (one of the gadgets in Google done by a third party), but the Widget "broke" and Google recommended I remove it. Feedburner is free and is a Google-based one so I figured that as my Blog is Google-based, it should work well together. There are others which I looked into like Feedblitz, but it costs money, so I went with the freebie! Not everyone knows what a "Reader" is and it's good to offer an alternative like Email. It took me a few hours to set it all up last weekend, but the tutorial on Feedburner was really good and they add the different elements to my Blog without me needing to know anything about HTML code - I didn't need to go into the "Design" part of my Blog and add it all manually.

I also have set it up so I have "partial" feeds rather than "full feeds" so that if people subscribe in a Reader, they get the first bit of my post but then have to go to my Blog to see the photos/rest of the post. If they got the full post, I figured that they wouldn't visit my Blog! Just my personal preference - others may disagree. Just type Feedburner into your favorite Search Engine and you will find it (didn't know if I was allowed to include a link with this post - my post might get deleted??!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

[QUOTE=daisydilly;17929351]
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_catView Post
I'm with you, I have 5 followers. I just started doing the blog challenges and did get some comments which was great. I am still not really technical, so its all a big learning curve for me. (but it is fun)[/QUOTE

I think your blog is very nice. I joined as a follower.
I just had to chime in here and say that I love her blog too ;) Keep up the good work with your blog, Carrie and don't get discouraged you will gain more followers. It took me a long while too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnangelView Post
thanks chris, i will have to stop by your blog. i've been linking my projects on here to my blog as well which seems to have brought some new people by. i'm trying to figure out the webmaster tools my3littlemonkies talked about data is just starting to show up
I just looked at your blog and you're up to 90, with my add you're at 91 now! More than me! ;)

Nice going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

How do you add the follower thing to your Blog? Mine doesn't show it. I can follow others though. I have a Sign up to get emails when I post new things which I haven't been that good with due to some medical stuff but trying to get back into the swing of things.
Thanks for the Help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

i thought it was automatically added with blogger but if its not then under add a gadget in the design element you can find it there
Reply With Quote Likes