Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Unmounting stamps - ez-foam or Aleene's Tack It Over & Over?

I have read several threads on SCS and watched countless YouTube videos to learn as much as I can about the various methods of unmounting stamps. So, I am familiar with all the processes. My question is to all those out there that have done so... What works best? Using Ez-Foam? Or Aleene's Tack It Over & Over? If using the Aleene's TIO&O method, do you keep the original foam attached to the rubber, or go down to bare rubber? I would like to get some experienced crafters opinions before I make my decision. Thank you and happy stamping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this is just me, but I really think the TIO&O is a preferable way to go. I personally feel the TacknPeel is better, because you only put that onto the acrylic blocks, not onto every piece of rubber. The idea behind my unmounting was to make storage easier. But of course, you want a clear image when you stamp. The TIO&O doesn't give you the foam buffer you want - but I feel EZ Mount takes up too much room. You could invest in a foam pad for under the work, but that doesn't always work. That is why I like TacknPeel. It has a little bit of sponginess, holds the rubber - but you can still peel it off, and is clear. You don't need nearly so much of it as anything else - making it an economical option. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I use both.
For very small sentiments, I am starting to think that the TIO&O is a lot better, and I'll use it for anything where the rubber is deeply etched; but I still like the foam for some stamps. I've just got a few from starvingartistamps, and I am planning to mount the backgrounder on foam, but just use TIO&O on the image stamps.
Personally I haven't tried the TIO&O on foam, only on bare rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't tried using EZ Mount or Tack n Peel myself, but have unmounted every single stamp and I used the TIO&O just because of the way I wanted to store my stamps and the cost. From what I could find and costs I gathered, EZ Mount was way too expensive for the amount I needed to do all my stamps. I unmounted about 600 stamps and I used only 1 bottle of TIO&O for about $5. It would have cost a couple hundred dollars using EZ Mount to do the many stamps. Tack n Peel would be nice, since its on the block, but I store my stamps on acetate panels in page protectors and those are in binders, so not having the sticky backing on the stamps wouldn't work for me.

As for whether I went to bare rubber or left the foam. I went to bare rubber on most of the stamps. If the foam came of fairly easily, I took it off. If it seemed like it was going to be a problem, then I left it on as long as it wasn't ripped or pieces torn out of it. I personally prefer the bare rubber since they store easier in my storage system and I use a foam sheet under my paper when I stamp.

That's my 2cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I use cling vinyl sheets and keep the original foam, it is cheaper that way. I use the SU 12x12 adhesive sheets to attach the cling to the original label

microwave the stamp and remove from the block
peel the label and attach to the sticky foam backing and trim
lay a sheet of cling on the adhesive sheet and peel off
lay sticky side up and lay the rubber, label side down on the sticky vinyl
peel the backing and trim the vinyl around the stamp

I prefer this method because for me the tacky residue collects dust and pet hair after a while (and i live in on a dirt road and have pets) and it is cheaper and easier than the ez mount and you can have a label this way. Plus if I stock up on the adhesive and boxes during saleabration, I can get lots of freebies

So it really depends on a lot of variables what may be best for you, but this method is best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you should try some with each method. I prefer EZMount. I tried the TIOO & the cling and didn't stick with either. But, others are very passionate about their choice. And, it appears there are some hybrid combo users. Don't sink a lot of money into anything until you try each and play around for awhile. For example, on storing them, I regret sinking money into CD and DVD cases. I ended up pitching a whole bunch as I prefer the Sunday International style binders for storage. Some stores sell EZMount by the sheet with fairly reasonable shipping. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

In agreement with the previous poster - try each method yourself before deciding. I really don't think there is one "best" method. I have some on EZ Mount, some with original foam and TIO&O, some with original foam, index sticker & TIO&O and some with bare rubber and TIO&O - as well as some that I don't intend to ever remove from their wood blocks.

In my opinion, smaller stamps work best with bare rubber and TIO&O - unless the stamp is pressed with some thin rubber. I actually feel I get a better image with the bare rubber than I do with cushion on these stamps. You do have to be a bit more careful not to get ink on your blocks that transfers to your project, though.

Bigger stamps, I prefer some sort of cushion. If I'm unmounting stamps that have their own cushion, and I can get the cushion off the block without damaging it, I use the TIO&O on that cushion because it saves a lot of $$$ over replacing the cushion with EZ Mount. I prefer putting the index sticker on the cushion before the TIO&O if it's a new set or if I can get the sticker off the wood without losing all its stickiness, because I think the TIO&O works better when it's on something it can't soak into. I have better luck with the stickers if I trim them so that there's a small border of foam that's not covered by the sticker - I've had a couple of stickers want to pull off the foam when I didn't leave the border.

If I'm using the TIO&O on bare foam, I usually end up applying one thin coat, letting it dry and then applying a 2nd thin coat. It seems to me that if the TIO&O gets a chance to soak into the foam at all, it makes it hard to remove the stamps from my storage boards later. (If you don't have an index sticker, I have also done an index image by stamping on gift wrap tissue and sticking that on the foam before the TIO&O and it works great.)

EZ Mount I pretty much save for the larger stamps that I purchased as bare rubber and for those where I ruin the foam trying to get it off the wood. I love EZ Mount and it clings really well, but it's pricey and I'd rather have the $$$ for stamps themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thank for your advice and experienced opinions! I have less than 200 wood-mount stamps, and a slew of photopolymer. I have come into possession of over 1,000 cd cases, so I am going to try using them for storage first, to see if I like it. Actually, I have more than could ever use, so I've been selling them on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Anyways, besides unmounting my smallish collection of wood-mount stamps, I have happened across some stamps by Art Impressions that I plan to buy, but am having trouble deciding on getting the bare rubber version, which obviously is very economical, or the version that is already fixed to cling foam. If anyone has experience with these stamps to be able to say if they work well as bare rubber, or if they work better with foam, I love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've nothing to add but a question. Has anyone unmounted wheels and what do you do in that case. I bought the new Stitches jumbo wheel from SU and I think it would be great to unmount so I could cut each stitch pattern into its own stamp, but haven't a clue how to go about it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I've unmounted wheels. When you look at one, it should be obvious where the end of the strip is. Just cut carefully along that line with a knife and carefully peel the rubber off the wheel. It's only fixed on with some sort of double-sided adhesive, it comes off much more easily than from blocks.
On the original topic, I do use EZ Mount for my unmounted wheels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I've nothing to add but a question. Has anyone unmounted wheels and what do you do in that case. I bought the new Stitches jumbo wheel from SU and I think it would be great to unmount so I could cut each stitch pattern into its own stamp, but haven't a clue how to go about it. Thanks
As Cook22 said, the wheels are super easy to unmount. Once you cut at the seam, they come right off, usually with no adhesive residue on the rubber at all. If there is any, just rub it off with your thumb. I mount the wheel stamps on EZ Mount. For storage, I use the lids from SU! stamp boxes. The size that background stamps come in are just right. I cut the lids off and stand them in a basket. I stick three regular or two jumbo unmounted wheel stamps on each one. Then I can just flip through them to find the one that I want.

Some wheel stamps make wonderful stamp sets if you cut them up, too, so you're right on target with your idea of cutting up the Stitches wheel. Here's a post on my blog about one of the wheel stamps that I cut up:

Stamp Surgery

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
You'll love your wheels unmounted. I didn't buy the handle but I had a few wheels. I just unmounted them and they are so easy to use this way. I just put TIO&O on mine. I also cut up one into a stamps set - the Friendly Words wheel and got 13 individual stamps from it. I did buy a second wheel though just so I would also have it as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

EZ Mount. Period.

I've tried all but the Tack n peel method. Enough said.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
EZ Mount. Period.

I've tried all but the Tack n peel method. Enough said.
Same here. ATIO was a horrible mess for me. I never quite got the right amount so some stamps didn't stick. Another problem was I had stamps sitting around all over while I waited for them to dry.

Because I had so many to unmount, stamps that I only use once in awhile I just peeled the whole stamp off with the wood mount foam. It's really sticky and I figured why add EZ mount until the sticky wears off.

I always like cushion on my stamps and EZ mount always works. Less fuss & muss. It may cost a bit more but I'm willing to pay over time for the ease of use and best results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Hmmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbtbbyView Post
I use cling vinyl sheets and keep the original foam, it is cheaper that way. I use the SU 12x12 adhesive sheets to attach the cling to the original label

microwave the stamp and remove from the block
peel the label and attach to the sticky foam backing and trim
lay a sheet of cling on the adhesive sheet and peel off
lay sticky side up and lay the rubber, label side down on the sticky vinyl
peel the backing and trim the vinyl around the stamp

I prefer this method because for me the tacky residue collects dust and pet hair after a while (and i live in on a dirt road and have pets) and it is cheaper and easier than the ez mount and you can have a label this way. Plus if I stock up on the adhesive and boxes during saleabration, I can get lots of freebies

So it really depends on a lot of variables what may be best for you, but this method is best for me.
I want my wood mounted to look like to SU clear mounts with the image of the stamp so I can see what I am stamping, will this technique achieve this?

Thanks!

Runae
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #16  

I actually prefer Tombow Mono Multi instead of TIO&O because it's easier to clean with just water. I don't even know how to clean off Aleene's.

For those of you using Tack n peel, how do you store your UM rubber? There's no adhesive at all on them, is there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Just my 2 cents worth...I'm a 5 year'r with Aileen's Tack it over and over...I do not like or need cushion on any stamp...It takes up room, it wobbles, it makes them harder to see where you are stamping, I can't think of any reason to use cling foam....

I have never had a problem and can't imagine going back to cling or wood...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by runaeView Post
I want my wood mounted to look like to SU clear mounts with the image of the stamp so I can see what I am stamping, will this technique achieve this?

Thanks!

Runae
Yes, but it would be quite a bit less expensive to cover the sticker with TIO&O (or the Mono Multi in the green & white bottle). I've tried the cling vinyl and was not happy with its cling power.

Keep in mind, though - you can't count on the index image to line up your image with precision; you'll still want to use your stampamajig for that. It's nice to have when you've got a couple of different stamps you're working with to make sure you've grabbed the right one, and it's very handy to help with not stamping sentiments upside down. Also very handy when trying to spell out a title with alphabet stamps. But for lining up your stamp, the image is only slightly better than trying to use the image on a wood-mount stamp - and that's more because you can see the outline of the actual rubber die

Quote:

I don't even know how to clean off Aleene's.
Yeah, that is one sticky substance. To get it off my fingers, I try to let it dry all the way and then rubbing my hands together and it kind of rolls off. Or if you start washing while it's still wet, soap & water takes it off. But if you try to clean it off when it's started to get tacky but isn't all the way dry, it's some nasty stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use EZ Mount when the stamps come that way. The rest I use bare rubber and TIO&O. I have been using the TIO&O for years now without any issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

So far, I've used EZ Mount and only TIO&O for unmounted SU wheels, but if TIO&O will work well for smaller stamps, too, then the foam seems like an extra expense. For those of you who use TIO&O exclusively, is it then safe to store them in CD cases? Or, do you have other storage suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #21  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampjourneyView Post
So far, I've used EZ Mount and only TIO&O for unmounted SU wheels, but if TIO&O will work well for smaller stamps, too, then the foam seems like an extra expense. For those of you who use TIO&O exclusively, is it then safe to store them in CD cases? Or, do you have other storage suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Yes I use the Cd cases

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I use EZ Mount when the stamps come that way. The rest I use bare rubber and TIO&O. I have been using the TIO&O for years now without any issues.
Me too ;) I won't "waste" the ezmount, but I'm not buying it if I can get it w/o.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Thank you! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #23  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I use TIOAO WITH the foam and the original stickers. It works so well and you can see the image through the case and on the block. I love it and it's only cost is the $3 bottle of TIOAO (which I still have half of) and have unmounted over 100 sets...true story.

Here's what I do:
  1. heat block for 10 secs
  2. peel off the rubber and foam together
  3. peel off the sticker
  4. attach sticker to foam side (lining the image up to match the stamp)
  5. trim the edges off the sticker
  6. use a very LIGHT coating of TIOAO
  7. let it dry then stick it onto the back of my hand
  8. store in the SU cases
  9. put the label on the outside of the case
Attached Thumbnails
Unmounting stamps - ez-foam or Aleene's Tack It Over & Over?-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Can you buy TacknPeel at Michael's? Where can you find it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymomView Post
Can you buy TacknPeel at Michael's? Where can you find it? Thanks
They don't carry it at my local Michael's, but that doesn't mean that none of them have it; mine tends to be kind of late to the party with most of the new stuff other people find at theirs.

My local Joann's does carry it, though - it's on the pegs by the alcohol inks and sponge daubers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Neither. There are advantages to both, but both lose their "stick" eventually. And both are costly. And TIOAO gets messy and expensive if you have a lot of stamps.

My preference is double sided carpet tape that you can get at Home Depot. It's inexpensive and wide enough to put across your blocks and then attach your unmounted rubber to stamp. It's easy to pull the rubber off when you are done.

I clean off the tape when it loses it's stick and put another line of tape down.

Since rubber stamps need cushion to stamp well, make sure you stamp with foam or a pad of paper underneath.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a TIO question: I bought some for the first time last week to use on my clear stamps that I made with my stamp maker, they now work great with my acrylic blocks but when I went to store them in my CD cases, they left behind sticky residue on the cases? But not on the blocks. I've put them on acetate sheets and slid those into the CD cases but I'm wondering why it's not working on the case itself?

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Heather - your ATIOO left a sticky residue? Did you let the glue dry before you put the stamps in the CD cases?

All mine have ATIOO on the backs and live in CD cases. None have left a residue. Maybe your bottle is a bad mix??

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

They felt like they were dry but maybe they weren't. They didn't leave anything behind on my blocks or the transparency sheet. weird......
Thanks for replying, next time I'll make sure to let them sit a good long time and then try the cases.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Heather - just want to pass along a couple things I've learned from reading oodles of threads on unmounting stamps... when using TIOAO, make sure you put on a very thin coat and let it dry for at least 24 hrs before using. Hopefully it starts working for you better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

From using ATIOO on literally hundreds of individual stamps, a very thin coat of it will dry in less than an hour... I know this from trial and error when I first started. At the beginning, my 'thin' coat was relatively thick. It was thick enough that the glue had a milky hue when it was wet and I had to let it dry for the full 24 hours. A coat that is thin enough to be transparent is plenty for it to stick over and over when it dries. And it will dry in much less time.

And I'm not sure how the poster uses her ATIOO if she's finding it expensive to use? My bottle cost $5 and I have 75% left... Just sayin'.

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks ladies, I think I didn't let it dry long enough. I used a foam brush and got a thin coat and it is clear, which is what I need since these are clear stamps So next time I'll be patient and wait longer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #33  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
Thanks ladies, I think I didn't let it dry long enough. I used a foam brush and got a thin coat and it is clear, which is what I need since these are clear stamps So next time I'll be patient and wait longer

Don't forget the step listed on the bottle to put the dried glue side on your hand to take away some of the permanent stickiness and make it 'over-and-over'able! (is that a word?)

BTW, Im still on the first TIOAO bottle I bought and am at over 100 sets unmounted. So it's a really inexpensive way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Lynn, I did try that, even put it on my clothes but it still left the residue on the case.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Oy! I did 20 more sets today with Tombo Mono Multi taking them down to bare rubber.

My fingers hurt!!! And my entire counter is covered with drying stamps, LOL~ I have about 70 more sets to go and I'm dreading it. But I must say that I really like all my sets lined up on the shelves in the new SU clear mount cases.

The cost of Easy Mount was just too much for all the stamps I have to unmount. I now refuse to buy any more wood-mounted stamps. Cling mount or photopolymer all the way for me now.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Although I chose to use ATIOO to convert my wood-mount stamps, I have to be honest and say that if I had the money to spend on it, I would go with EZ Mount... But since I'm no millionaire, I'm happy with the ATIOO.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I've used ATIOO exclusively because it's really inexpensive. I've got binders full of stamps and my bottle is still really full.

I've finally got a point where I can apply a really thin coat that dries in no time. When I started, I used too much and I had to wait forever for it to turn clear so I could use my stamps.

The drawbacks I've found, after 6+ years of use:

-eventually the stuff stops sticking and I need to recoat my stamps.
-it does sometimes leave residue (little blobs of glue) on my blocks, but that's easy enough to clean up

I use it on my smallest stamps and my background stamps and have no problems getting a clean image.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by afdishView Post
I have read several threads on SCS and watched countless YouTube videos to learn as much as I can about the various methods of unmounting stamps. So, I am familiar with all the processes. My question is to all those out there that have done so... What works best? Using Ez-Foam? Or Aleene's Tack It Over & Over? If using the Aleene's TIO&O method, do you keep the original foam attached to the rubber, or go down to bare rubber? I would like to get some experienced crafters opinions before I make my decision. Thank you and happy stamping!
I have both (Gina K Designs come adhered to cling foam and I leave them that way) but prefer bare rubber with ATIO&O. I prefer it for storage reasons - you can stick bare rubber to both sides of the CD jewel cases (my preferred storage method for my bare rubber unmounted stamps) which allows me to save space and add more sets to my collection! LOL!

And I prefer to mount my unmounted wheels (that sounds funny) onto EZ foam for some added structure to their larger, longer size and shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I thankfully got into the unmounting thing when I didn't have that many stamp sets to unmount, so now it's sort of an ongoing cost as I purchase second-hand sets, or the rare new stamp/set that's already on wood blocks. Buying new sets that aren't mounted to wood yet, I just stick the stamps to cling vinyl instead of wood blocks.

I do prefer EZ-Mount to ATIO&O though, I'm not sure why... I'm just used to stamping with that extra bit of foam from my wood-block days, and I don't love the feel of stamping without it. The idea of doubling my storage space is very, very tempting, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

after reading the thread I scoured you tube for a good video.

how to unmount SU

Hope this helps, I plan on using this on my sets....so excited!!
Reply With Quote Likes