Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Why didn't have anyone tell me???

I luv coloring w/ my new w/color crayons. :pThey are so vivid in pigment. They remind me of the crayons I colored w/ in the 50's. I remember the red was bright & the black was dark. :(Even Crayola's aren't like they were as kids. I didn't like oil pastels since they came off on UR hands & stained them. :mad:Also hard to blend. Had to be careful they didn't get muddy when layering them. I tried w/color wash w/ my w/color pencils but it was a lot of hard work.
I asked a few SU demo's if they had the crayons for a class. None did, no one here now.
I got a 10 pack tin from Dick Bick in Dec, Caron deAche? They lay color down like the old crayons did. They also watercolor very well. I was careful to wipe off extra water on a sheet of paper. I blended them from inside out to the edge of the paper. I started w/ lite color 1st. I took my brush & painted onto a spare sheet of paper on the edge so any extra pigment or water went there & not puddle on my card.
I bought Stratmore media cards on sale @ D. Bick..They are a 140# paper. I put them under my book press to dry out.
I colored a b/ground w/ them to use some ATC's for a notecard set for DD's gift.

Last edited by grandmabear49; 01-13-2011 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I have always loved watercolor crayons, though I need more work on my technique. I think the thing is just that they are not the "in" coloring method right now. It will come back around again, everything in crafting does! Copics are the big deal, but I am a fan of many other methods as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Please post some pictures or load some things into your gallery if you have time. I'd love to see your creations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Money Saver Don't like copic's

Too much of a learning curve,:mad: smell of the marker,bleed thru on the paper & the expense of them.:rolleyes: I feel there are better options for the price.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I think they're great! I got some on FreeCycle because I wasn't sure about them till I'd tried them, so I don't have a very wide range. But I love the vibrant colours. Mine are the Caran D'Ache ones . They're good on fabric too - I was delighted to discover that. And they don't seem to obscure the black stamped image so much when you use them on detailed stamps. That's always been my problem with the Twinkling H2Os - I love them, but if you go over any lines it just mutes them down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmabear49View Post
Too much of a learning curve,:mad: smell of the marker,bleed thru on the paper & the expense of them.:rolleyes: I feel there are better options for the price.:(
I agree with you! Copics are definitely too expensive. I use watercolor pencils, inkpads and SU markers for watercolor work. It seems you can get lovely blended colors using pencils if you take your time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I LOVE watercolor crayons. Use them for all my coloring in needs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE my Caron deAche Water Color Crayons!!! I have the 86 count set but would love the 120 count set...they are just so expensive.
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't know there was such a thing as watercolor crayons! I am waiting for my order of Derwent Inktense pencils which get more vibrant with water, are these simular to your crayons? I agree, coloring is good for the soul and colors make us happy. That's why kids like to color so much, I think.

As for markers, Copics are not the only ones out there. There are several brands which work exactly like Copics and do just as good a job at a fraction of the cost. I use ShinHan Twin Touch and have some Copic, Dick Blick brand and a no-longer-made Design markers which are all alcohol based and work great. I think the biggest differences, when it comes down to it, are the nibs. Everyone has their favorites.

I love my Dick Blick Studio colored pencils and Prismacolor pencils too. I read about people using reinkers to color but don't know how they do it, just a brush dipped in the ink?

Anyway, whatever the medium, coloring is a wonderful thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I came across my Caran D'Ache from years ago and they are top on my list for something to play around with the next time I make some cards!! Glad to see you are enjoying them so much. I also hope you photograph and upload your creations, OP!!

I love that there are so many choices for coloring ~ each one having it's gratifying moments and results :^) !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

What is the difference between watercolour crayon and watercolour pencil in terms of usage and output?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

watercolor pencils look and feel just like regular colored pencils. They need to be sharpened. You can "draw" with them and then use a wet brush to color in and blend. You can also take your wet brush and tough the tip of the pencil and obtain the color that way. They dry a lighter shade of the wet color.
The water color crayons-OMG- look and feel like a reg. crayon. You can also draw with them and then use your wet brush to blend. you can also bring your wet brush to the tip and gain color that way. The dried result is usually more vibrant and bolder than the pencil. I think it is because the pigment is in a higher concentration. They do need to be sharpened like a reg. crayon but not as often. They do have a paper wrapper around them. I do like that the color is through and through...no wood casing.
With both methods, you can also use your blender pens. This is esp. useful for tiny areas and small line are images.
I have recently heard about INKTENSE and as soon as my budget allows...I want to give these a try as well.
Hope this helps,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Are SU watercolor crayons nice? I'm a hobby demo and will be putting in my first order which gives me 30% off...after that it's 20% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I also love my watercolor crayons. I like that I can color onto stamps for a different look, too. I really like that with my Medallion stamp. I think all the mediums have a time & place. I don't have copics (nor any desire to get them) but appreciate all the lovely work folks do with them.

Question - can you use a blending stump with water for crayons? What abotu watercolor pencils?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These watercolor crayons sound great. I may have to find some.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Alli!!!
To answer your question about SU Crayons!!! These were the 1st I EVER heard or seen of them. I saw a YouTube video where they were demo-ed. OMG I know I had to have them. I won a auction of the OLD, OLD set of the crayons when they were still all in one case and before the color renovation.
There were several broken crayons but I had all the colors to match the SU colors. I just loved them. I decided to purchase the new set (also before I knew about the color renovation) I just LOVE them. Such RICH, BOLD, VIBRANT colors. I spend $100.00 plus to get a new set about a month before they announced the color change.
I decided to become a demo only to get a discount to complete the color renovation. The WaterColorWonder crayons for the new colors had not been available until just last month (I think).
But to answer your question...Yes!!! They are nice.
Valerie
P.S. I did research on Water Color Crayons (water soluble crayons) in general to find reviews. I kept reading reviews from REAL ARTIST (as compared to stamper/paper crafters---not that we are not artist in our own right - wink!!!)
AND the Caran D'Ache NEOCOLOR II---(Not NEOCOLOR I---the I's are NOT water soluable they are professional reg. crayons.) were rated EXTREMELY High Consistently. So I invested in an 84 count set from Dick Blick for about $150 about a year ago to not limit myself to just SU colors. I really wish I could afford the 126 count at about $275 that was just not going to happen.
OMG...they are so rich and creamy and BOLD, and VIBRANT...however I find myself hording them b/c they were so expensive...(anyone else every do that?) and I tend to use my old broken SU set since they were already USED...I am such a DORK!!!
So I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #17  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Are SU watercolor crayons nice? I'm a hobby demo and will be putting in my first order which gives me 30% off...after that it's 20% off.
I love my SU crayons. If you are a hobby demo don't buy somewhere else this is a huge part of your minimum they are lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I used to use the SU watercolor crayons until I got addicted to Copics. The crayons are great! We used them a lot in the classes I taught, and they're so easy to use, everyone loved them. To be really successful with them, make sure you're using a nice aqua painter (water brush). You can buy cheapies at the big box stores, but you won't like the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Challenge Host

so... WHY DID I READ THIS???? NOW I'm looking into these... I am a HORRIBLE Water colorer, so will these work for me?? LOL Are they MAGIC??? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #20  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
so... WHY DID I READ THIS???? NOW I'm looking into these... I am a HORRIBLE Water colorer, so will these work for me?? LOL Are they MAGIC??? LOL
oh my gosh, Kellijo, you have not used watercolor crayons????? If I had an extra one I would mail it to you to try. they are awesome (I have way more control with them than copics or any marker).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
oh my gosh, Kellijo, you have not used watercolor crayons????? If I had an extra one I would mail it to you to try. they are awesome (I have way more control with them than copics or any marker).
No I've seen them in the cattie but always thought, Hmmm.... wonder what those do... LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

I love my SU crayons. We did a watercoloring class a couple of years ago to showcase watercoloring with different SU products; crayons, pencils, markers, aqua painter and blender pens.

Here's the link to the class handout. There's not a lot of detail in the handout but you can see the different results

Addicted to Stamping: Watercolouring Class
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #23  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

sure wish i lived close to you Jackie, I would be at every class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Can these be used on SU Whisper White cs or do youneed watercolor paper?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
I love my SU watercolor crayons and yes .... they are super easy to use and get a great look!! I bought another smaller, less expensive set of watercolor crayons from Michael's not long ago just to get some 'primary' colors and they work well, too, for the more vibrant colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thanks Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovian7View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing as watercolor crayons! I am waiting for my order of Derwent Inktense pencils which get more vibrant with water, are these simular to your crayons? I agree, coloring is good for the soul and colors make us happy. That's why kids like to color so much, I think.

I love my Dick Blick Studio colored pencils and Prismacolor pencils too. I read about people using reinkers to color but don't know how they do it, just a brush dipped in the ink?

Anyway, whatever the medium, coloring is a wonderful thing

Hi Michelle (Jovian7)!!!

I took your lead and I too am waiting on my Inktense order from Dick Blick. I also ordered the Dick Blick Colored Pencils...I currently have the Prismacolor 132 set and Prismacolor 36 watercolor pencils and I am excited to try the Inktense's Vibrancy and to compare the DB brand to my Prismacolors.

Stampin' Up has recently made available the Water Color Crayons for the Color Renovation they did back in June so I am sure I will be ordering those pretty soon. But I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Caran D'Ache NeoColor II. I just wish I can justify the 120 ct. set...I would also LOVE the Pable Color Pencils. I understand that they are the "Creme de la Creme" of colored Pencils.

I think I might have a slight "problem"...I LOVE COLOR!!!

Thanks again for enabling me,
Valerie Martin

P.S. What part of Alaska are you in...I am originally from Adak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY! If you don't have the Watercolor Wonder Crayons, don't waste your money on anything else - GO BUY THEM!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
Hi Michelle (Jovian7)!!!

I took your lead and I too am waiting on my Inktense order from Dick Blick. I also ordered the Dick Blick Colored Pencils...I currently have the Prismacolor 132 set and Prismacolor 36 watercolor pencils and I am excited to try the Inktense's Vibrancy and to compare the DB brand to my Prismacolors.

Stampin' Up has recently made available the Water Color Crayons for the Color Renovation they did back in June so I am sure I will be ordering those pretty soon. But I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Caran D'Ache NeoColor II. I just wish I can justify the 120 ct. set...I would also LOVE the Pable Color Pencils. I understand that they are the "Creme de la Creme" of colored Pencils.

I think I might have a slight "problem"...I LOVE COLOR!!!

Thanks again for enabling me,
Valerie Martin

P.S. What part of Alaska are you in...I am originally from Adak.
Hi Valerie!

I love color too I was born and raised in Anchorage and now live in Palmer. I moved down south for awhile but there is just no place like Alaska. I hope you enjoy your Inktense. I haven't gotten to play with mine much yet. It's a new medium for me, I don't really have any experience with watercolors or painting so I will have to learn, I mainly use markers. I would love to have some Derwent SoftColour pencils, I haven't heard of Pable before. I can't justify buying more pencils right now until I start using up the ones I have.
I think you will find DB are comparable to Prisma's. I only have a small pack of Prisma's and use them with my DB pencils.

MH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Michelle!!!
I Love Ancorage...we would visit there often when we lived in Adak.

I took advantage that Dick Blick had the Inktense for 82.00 plus no shipping. I also added the colorless brunisher and blender set and went ahead and added the DB brand pencils b/c there were only 40 and that brought my order total high enough to get an extra 15% off. So it was almost like getting the DB' s for free.

I am a SAHM of 3 daughters...(age 12, 8, 4) and we live in a TINY (lass than 1,000 sq/ft) house...and when "mommy plays" all three girls "want to play" too. I always feel like an Ogre when I tell them, "NOT with mommy's nice ones" here are yours." And I bring out their roseart/crayola ones. The younger 2 don't mind b/c they don't notice the difference so much but with my 12 yr old (who was art student of the year at school) REALLY knows the difference and REALLY wants to USE mine. I do allow her when I with her but once the other 2 start interfering...we are done.

All this to say...maybe with the "comparable quality to Prismacolor" that the DB is supposed to be...I will give these to her...or maybe I they are our for all to use I won't be so ****.

I am just a paper crafter...I love stamping and I am addictive to coloring them!!! I really wish that I was an Artist...I never took classes in school and what I have learned I have learned from youtube...My oldest daughter watches with me and that is how she has learned about shading and highlight, and finding a light source and grounding an image by using the lightest grey around the bottom of images. I wish I knew what she knows when I was her age...

Oh BTW...since I will probably be ordering the Stampin' Up new water color crayons...I will probably give her my older set with the retired colors. Since she gets all my scraps, the retired colors will be available to her for a while.

It is amazing...I was looking at my SU watercolor crayons and with as much as they are used...they still look almost brand new!!! So for all of you who are on the fence about them (SU brand or any other) they are WORTH the investment!!! They will LAST FOREVER!!! Probably longer than pencils and you will get richer more vibrant colors and if you use a fine tip aquapainter (I like the KOI brand and the Zig from Joanns) you can get the control of a pencil for tiny areas. You really can't go wrong.

Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to admit..I don't own a single SU anything and am a bit confused how colors can retire. I guess I'm not into "current styles", I just do what I like.

My husband is a graphic artist (currenlty with a severely broken right hand so he is having a difficult time with no use of his hand) and a wonderful artist, I snag his "extra's" when I can but have found it is better to have my very own supplies (I have snagged 1 Derwent SoftColour pencil which I won't give back). He will use anything, even food coloring, for his projects. But he is not a teacher, he can't verbally explain how to get what is in his brain and what he sees and how to get it to translate to whatever medium he uses. We also have very different styles - he had an art degree, I also have a youTube education, and I like more edgy, conceptual, he is realistic.

I hope you do enjoy your new pencils when you get them. I am still drooling over Derwent's SoftColour and the burnisher/blender looks interesting. I have a blender pencil but don't like it - too waxy.

I made up a art journal last night and am going to play with my Inktense!

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I disovered Caron deAche crayons in a class and LOVE them!! I have some of the SU ones also, but find I get a richer color with these. I have been art journaling recently and love using these to make fun backgrounds.

I do love any color medium though
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #32  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Never heard of them! New to me...will have to check them out. Have you uploaded anything you used them on?
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

As a former demo, I must admit that the crayons have sat in a drawer unused. Now all this talk has me thinking I need to get them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

I bought an inexpensive small set that was on sale at a local craft store (which is no longer there). They were Faber Castell watercolor crayons, and I like how bright the colors are. It only had about ten colors, but that's enough for me to play with. Have'nt had much time to play with them yet; still getting my room back in order. Looking foward to using them later though and seeing if I am any good with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #35  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I just used my birthday discount to order my new color WCC from SU! I too have the old single tin and love that! I can see every color by opening the lid one time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

i use crayola crayons and just blend it down with mineral oil Its cheap and effective
Reply With Quote Likes