Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I give up!! My Christmas cards are not going out.

My supplies for Christmas cards have been laying out on my table for two weeks now, and I still haven't touched them. I've just had other things I'd rather be doing. And I looked at my mantle, and we have received exactly 4 Christmas cards. I'll probably get 2 or 3 more before Christmas actually gets here. I usually send out between 20 and 30, and I get less than 10 in return.
I know that's not what it's all about, but I'm not NOT sending them out of spite. I just don't feel like doing it, and I'm letting go of the guilt. I'm going to put it all away, and maybe I can eventually work on them for next year. This year I missed my opportunity, and it's ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Erin, I completely understand! You are right! IT IS OK! Move on to other things for the Christmas season, and enjoy your time with your friends and family! THAT is what it's all about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that feeling a couple of years ago, and made the same decision. When Christmas was over, I was in the mood to send them out after all. Since they were all blank on the inside, I grabbed a Happy New Year stamp for the inside and mailed them out a week late!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

Erin...good decision...may i suggest you work on a few a month...join the monthly Christmas Card Challenge ...if you don't make cards for one or two of the months no big deal...but it takes the pressure off...the holidays are to be enjoyed...not a chore or hassle...have a wonderful season!

Last edited by pigtail1; 12-18-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Your mind is telling you something - if you can't make yourself do it, then it's not meant to be! Put 'em away and enjoy Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #6  
ckm
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I agree. I had all my fall, Halloween, and Christmas laying out for two months. I made a few cards and put everything away. I'm going to try to work on all the holidays and birthdays throughout the year and see how that goes. I put mine away and sent store bought cards. Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I was just talking to a friend about this. It seems people really do not send them out like they used to, crafters or not. I don't get it. I think it's really nice and love having them to look at. I have 8 right now. One is from a friend of my husband's from college that I've never met, and one is from our paper carrier! So not really a lot going on for us in the card department. I have heard a lot of people say the same thing. In the past I'd easily get like 20-30. Some just don't send them out, some seem to do "e-greetings" which are ANNOYING!

I'd only do them if you ENJOY doing them. If it's a hassle or a frustration, you're under NO obligation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

There's always January 6 which is the Orthodox Christmas, twelfth day of Christmas and day of the Epiphany.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I would suggest you buy a box of cards. Send them to the important people and let it go. You don't need to feel guilty for not making them. If anyone mentions that you didn't make them just say this year you had too much on your plate to make them. No appology needed.

I had to learn years ago I didn't live in a covered wagon and have to make everything myself. LOL I make what I enjoy and buy the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Are all 30 cards you send handmade? I usually make only for the ones who enjoy receiving a handmade card and the rest get something from a box. Cuts down the stress this time of year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
My supplies for Christmas cards have been laying out on my table for two weeks now, and I still haven't touched them. I've just had other things I'd rather be doing. And I looked at my mantle, and we have received exactly 4 Christmas cards. I'll probably get 2 or 3 more before Christmas actually gets here. I usually send out between 20 and 30, and I get less than 10 in return.
I know that's not what it's all about, but I'm not NOT sending them out of spite. I just don't feel like doing it, and I'm letting go of the guilt. I'm going to put it all away, and maybe I can eventually work on them for next year. This year I missed my opportunity, and it's ok.
This has happened to me more than once over the years. Once I sent New Year's cards in January. Once I sent Valentine cards because that how long it took me to get it together.

You are right to take the pressure off yourself. It is more important for you to enjoy your holidays. Happy Stampin' !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

i just got two :( and send out about 20, but I tell myself maybe one day they will want to send some after they receive myne ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

My husband and I were just talking about Christmas card sending the other day.

It really does seem as if people are not sending out the cards this year. We have noticed other years that people send less and less, but for some reason it seems worse this year. I have a little basket that I keep them in and there are only about five in there so far.

I noticed too, that the ones we get are mostly from older people without kids around, (like us). Maybe it has become a generational thing?

As for making cards, I used to get that same stressy feel when making them all in November and December. What I tend to do now is make them after Christmas for next year. I usually find it more fun, and I usually have new stamps to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Right there beside you!! I usually send out 70(+) cards. And most of them are family and friends since the beginning of time. I have decided that I don't have the time for that added stress this year. Didn't send out last year either. I will either send one of those annoying emails (just to let family know that we are still alive, as I don't do the Facebook thing) or I will send out Happy New Year.....Warm Winter Wishes....or maybe Easter cards!
Just not worth forcing it. It is what it is.
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Even in year's past, I'd receive the bulk of our cards just a few days before Christmas. You'd have the occassional over-achiever who had them out early and we'd get December 1st, but that's a rare event. This year, even the people who's cards we get early just came the other day. The number of cards received has dramatically gone down over the years. We still get them from certain of the older relatives, but most friends with young or older kids don't send them out anymore or send them really late (more like New Year's cards). I have over 100 ready to be filled out, but since that job always falls on me and I have way too much on my plate already, only a few will actually make it out this year (again, more like New Year's cards). There's just so much going on that there never seems to be enough time - and we say no to a lot of activities and invitations this time of year, but there's still very little time. Only very special people will get cards from us (like the great-grandparents, grandparents type of people). I've gotten over the whole "I should have" thing about getting things done. I'd have major ulcers if I worried about every little thing. I look at it this way, at least I have a jump on next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm right there with you. I am waiting for Stickles to dry on mine right now. The guilt would get me if I didn't send any out. There are a few store bought cards going to the people who I'm sure won't know the difference. I'm planning on doing next year's in January so it will seem fun and not a chore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I'm still working on mine and they will all be in the mail by Wednesday night for delivery by Christmas Eve (only 2 going out of state).

I could never cheat and send a store/box card. I'd send none instead. I only send out 45 but a lot of thought and care goes into them. I don't do gifts, so my cards are my Christmas gift to these friends and family. I've only gotten 2 so far and one of them was from my late dog's best friend.

If you don't feel like sending out cards, then don't, but don't send a store one just to send a card.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Don't feel bad, it has happened to me this year too. I made about 10, then got really sick about a week ago and haven't touched them since. I didn't even sign and address the box of store bought cards I have for the people that I don't send hand made to. I've just got zero energy from being sick all last week. I think I am going to concentrate on the baking and other Christmas things I still need to do. Joining the monthly Christmas card challenge sounds like a great idea to be prepared for next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=Barbara Jay;17704978]I would suggest you buy a box of cards. Send them to the important people and let it go. You don't need to feel guilty for not making them. QUOTE]

This is sort of what I do. I bought a box and then I embellished them a little with Stickles and buttons; it made me feel a little better about not making/sending anything. Of course, I still do feel guilty about all the money I have spent on supplies! Oh well, I have a very nice collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Default It's okay, Erin!!!

I have gotten to that point myself. First, everyone got a home card. Then a couple of years later only immediate family.

This year it was store bought cards with a family photo thrown in and I am only doing homemade thank you cards.

Glad you don't feel the guilt. When your hobby starts taking over your private life, then you need to adjust your priorities.

What does anyone else think? Have a great Christmas.

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Mine have been sitting out in various stages for the past few weeks...it is okay to not send them! I didn't last year and i swore that i would this year, but we shall see....not stressing about it, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #22  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I would much rather spend family time than guilt time over what isn't done.

I bought our tree last friday, put lights on it on saturday and monday ended up in the hospital for the week. Our tree sits with lights on and no ornaments, I looked at it and decided it looked just fine for sticking presents - bought on line while in the hospital - under it. The kids will get what I have so far and no more, we will have a small meal, because I can't make a big traditional dinner and it will be great.
it did take a little time to convince myself that it will still be a great holiday.

oh and no cards were mailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Mine aren't going out either.

I've had handmade cards from two years ago that I finally pulled out, lined the inside with light paper, stamped a sentiment, and signed them all, only to have them still sitting on my desk. Our Christmas budget is really tight this year and I just can't bring myself to spend the $25 on postage to mail out the cards when that money could be used towards a gift for someone. I am feeling a little guilty, but at this point I can't worry about it. Maybe they'll go out next year.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I used to stress out about making my cards in time for Christmas. Then I had established a "rule" that I had to have my cards done before Rubberama in October. (Back when this convention was still held in the Twin Cities.) THEN... I discovered that if I made them a year in advance, there was no stress involved. I plan out what I am going to make and then take those supplies with me to my in-laws when we are there for a week for Christmas. This gives me something to do when we are there AND I don't have to stress about this for the current holiday.

That being said... it is OKAY to not send out cards. Totally OKAY. When it comes to these kind of things, I have to step back and ask myself... "Is this life-or-death? No? Then don't sweat it."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

I see Dec 25 as a, um, flexible deadline. Mine are made but haven't gone out yet. As long as they are postmarked by Dec 24, I consider myself good.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Make or buy, send or don't send. It's not worth stressing over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I was going to make mine this year too. I just couldn't get inspired and didn't have the time. I looked through my box of stash cards from parties and make and takes. I found 15 Christmas cards all different. I used those for immediate family and the rest got store bought cards. I actually felt good about it. Everyone got something unique and I cleared out some clutter. What do I save those for anyways?

Happy Holidays everyone.

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

When a hobby becomes a burden and produces guilt then it is time to set it aside.

I am new to making cards so I don't have this problem with cards, but I learned from my sewing days not to take on more than I can accomplish and enjoy doing.
When I worked 50+ hours a week not counting travel time I had a gazillion wonderful ideas I wanted to sew for my family and friends. I felt guilty because I really didn't have the time or strength to fulfill all my lofty goals . Soon I had more fabric , trim and thread then I could use in 3 life times and I felt obligated to use it. I would be up sewing until the wee of the morning trying to get it all done. I felt I "should" sew when I really wanted to read a book

One year I said enough! I sorted all of my sewing stuff and only kept special fabric and supplies. I donated boxes of it to a Senior center for the ladies to make quilts. When I left all the boxes of stuff with them I felt as if a ton had been lifted from my shoulders.

Now I pace myself and realize I don't want to be a manufacturing plant. I can't do it all. No more guilt or pressure.
This year I made 13 Christmas cards for special people and enjoyed making each one. .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Erin I understand!!!

I told myself I was not going to send cards out this year. I happened to have a few left over from last year. I allso joined a few winter swaps, So I made extra cards while making these swaps. I just got my cards out yesterday afternoon. I only sent out 35 cards. As of today we have only received 3 cards. My hubbys mom, a close freind and only of my hubby's friend, that we have not received a christmas card from in like 15 years! Go Figure!!

Next year I am planning on sending cards to just family.

I tell you this postage just sucks. On 10 cards price of postage raned from $1.22 to $1.39. Rest was just a regular stamp. At this rate of postage no cards will be mailed next year!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

I completely understand! I've decided to make my
"were to be" Christmas cards into Season's Greetings and Winter Wishes cards and take the pressure off on meeting a deadline. Heck here in Western NY, that could be construed as a 6 month grace period!

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the recession is having anything to do with this? I too have noticed that the received cards number is way down this year- usually I have hangers to put them on because I run out of space on shelves etc-I think we have only just made it into double figures this year. I know I have sent way more than we are getting, and I have stressed myself by leaving it to the last minute (which every year I swear I am not going to do).
I so understand Barbara Jays post- I organised all my stamps back in November, and I swear that if I used a different stamp for every Christmas card I send out for the rest of my life,and never bought another Christmas stamp (and lets be brutally honest here, that's just not going to happen:rolleyes I'd not duplicate one card! The main concession I have made is to keeping my cards simpler if I am posting them, especially abroad.
But I think I'd feel too guilty not to send any, and I'm sure I'd be worrying that people felt snubbed if I sent bought cards instead of handmade ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've received two cards so far this year and now I am stressing to get cards sent out to those two who sent me a card. <lame grin> My excuse is that I'm busy wrapping other people's (from them to someone else; not presents from me to them) presents!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I made my usual 80 cards (about 10 are going to coworkers and the rest get mailed). I've noticed a lot less have come in so far this year, compared to previous years, but there's still time.

I don't make them so I can get some in return, so I'm not worried about it. I make them because I enjoy making them.

If it becomes a burden, then let it go. There are so many things going on this time of year. I gave up baking cookies several years ago because it takes too much time, I eat too many myself, and everyone seems to get tired of cookies at some point in December.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I see Dec 25 as a, um, flexible deadline. Mine are made but haven't gone out yet. As long as they are postmarked by Dec 24, I consider myself good.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Make or buy, send or don't send. It's not worth stressing over.
I'm with you on this.

We have been ice'd in for a few days. I managed to get out and get postage for my cards before the ice came but I still need to address them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I receive fewer cards every year so this year I made 30 cards (6 different designs) most of them for family. Well I still haven't addressed them and last night was our family Christmas dinner at my house. Late in the night I rememered the cards so I grabbed them and passed them around and let them pick the card they wanted, I signed it and stuffed it in an envelope. Now I only have about 10 cards to send out. May have been a tacky way to handle it but at least I got them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I was feeling very stressed out about not having my cards done. I took a trip to my local craft store and found that they had some Christmas CARD KITS on sale for half price. So I purchased one, it was one of the best decisions for me....Saved me time...and even though, my cards aren't completely home made from scratch...they are still sort of home made, I rubber stamped the sayings inside added a few personal touches, and I think the cards are pretty, and what was really nice...since I didn't use a lot of layers like I usually do on my cards....they were all the price of one stamp....and I felt so much less stress with getting my cards out.
QFTD165
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My card list gets smaller every year (yes I keep track of who sends one). After two years of not receiving, than I remove their names from my card list, no quilt at all.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I try different approaches each year, but I've only been stamping for a few years, so the challenge of sending hand-made cards is something new to me. I have a large family but I live across the country from everyone. I also live far from most of my long-term friends, so corresponding at Christmas is something special that keeps me connected. I get a photo Christmas card done of my DD and send that out early. Some of these get hand-written letters. This year I have a box of hand-made cards that will be given to my family in their Christmas gift. They all look forward to getting a hand-made card from me, so I'll use this approach this year. I have gotten a birthday card out for everyone this year, too. I did send simple hand-made cards to business associates instead of the DD photo card. They were made all identical at a workshop, while the family gets all unique cards designed by me over the last month or so. I have no idea what I'll do next year. The message is enjoy the process and don't be afraid to try new ways to keep in touch and enjoy our wonderful stamping hobby. Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

So glad I saw this thread. I have been stressing over not finishing my cards and sending them. I got most of them done, but still need about 10 more. Oh then sign them, address them and make some attempt at a picture of the kids to include. I just don't have the desire to finish it this year. DH does not help and it just frustrates me. So, I am letting go of the guilt and putting them away. I will have them for next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Wow...glad I stumbled upon this thread...my problem is this...I've made probably 20+ cards, but as yet, have NOT sent any of them out as I just have the "outsides" done. I used dark CS, so almost all of my cards need a light liner and a sentiment of something stamped inside. It probably won't be that much work, but I got into baking the last 2 weekends, and ran out of time to complete the cards. So now what? Do I try to slap something together in a hurry? If I don't line them, I can't really even write in them and have my words visible. Also, to this date, we've only received 2 or three cards.
I have thought about working on them on 12/23 as that's when my vacation starts and then sending out what I get done on that day...yikes though...that's pretty late, right?

Maybe I should just forget it and I'll have a head start on next year's!

OH...well we have gotten 3 of "those letters"...you know the "We did this, we went there, yada..yada..yada...I'm sorry folks, but IMO, those are NOT Christmas cards!!!!

Last edited by Bellegirl; 12-19-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I'm still working on mine and they will all be in the mail by Wednesday night for delivery by Christmas Eve (only 2 going out of state).

I could never cheat and send a store/box card. I'd send none instead. I only send out 45 but a lot of thought and care goes into them. I don't do gifts, so my cards are my Christmas gift to these friends and family. I've only gotten 2 so far and one of them was from my late dog's best friend.

If you don't feel like sending out cards, then don't, but don't send a store one just to send a card.

Patti
Well, I guess that makes me a cheater. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes