Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
The gift I remember the most is a doll I got when I was 5. She was a "walking" doll. The worst - so glad you're all sitting down - was a pair of lace panties (YES lace panties!) which had a tag on it from Macy's that said 3 for $20.00. My husband's wack job sister gave them to me. We don't exchange gifts. She was invited here for Christmas Eve a few years ago and I guess she looked around her house to see what she could give me. My other sister in law - the normal one - was standing next to me when I took the panties out of the bag and she couldn't help herself, she got hysterical laughing. I tried to act like those were the panties of my dreams, and said thank you.
Oh my GOOdness!! That had me laughing out loud!
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best was when my parents made a "hospital" for my sister and me (seven and my sister ten, so I probably enjoyed it more). Dad built an operating table with a shelf underneath to hold our "medicines"--nowadays we wouldn't let kids pretend that candy is medicine. Mum, a nurse, sewed probationary nurses uniforms for the dolls that we got, with mini bandage shears and little cards marked b.i.d, n.p.o. and other medication cards.

As far as bad, I really can't think of too much. Yes, sometimes my husband has asked if I wanted something, and has gone ahead and got it for me even though I had said no.

Now, the worst Christmas was when my not quite two year old was really sick. She would only let me or my dad hold her, so Mum had to take care of the dinner (it was at my house).

Thankfully, on Boxing Day she was all better.

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

You ladies have me ROFL!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

My best present was a gift for my Mom. I was 3 or 4 and my Aunt took me to a dime store and we got this swan family for my Mom.( I am now 5 When we got home I remember we wrapped it in a kleenex box and I could not wait for my Mom to open it. That was so thoughtful for my Aunt to do that. She was like my second Mother. My worst was the first year I was married. We just had our 34th wedding anniversary. My husband bought me a waffle iron and a toaster oven. Of course I was gracious and thanked him and never let on until a few years later. I told him that kind of stuff is not for me it's for our house. So a few years ago I wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer and he said no way am I buying you a mixer for Christmas! Little did he know how expensive they can be. He got it for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

These have me laughing and crying all at the same time!!

For me best (past) would have been the year I got my Cabbage Patch Kid! LOL! And best current...well they are all pretty great. I love it when my kids want to go shopping at their school fundraisers and they get me anything that they picked out.

Worst? Probably the 2 years in a row that my MIL bought me the worst smelling candle ever. I didn't like it the first year so when I got another one again the next year, I actually did laugh out loud. I gave them away this past summer when we moved. I wasn't moving them again, LOL!

And I had to laugh at the vacuum one. It's on my Christmas list this year, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

I have been thinking about this since I first saw this thread, and I couldn't think of a worst, only a best, which was a little treasure chest type box that DH stained and put a poem in for me before he deployed for the first time. Now, he lets me shop for my own gifts, because for a couple years he bought me beautiful jewelry, but I rarely wear anything besides my ring. I love what he picked out, but it all spends 99.9% of the time in my jewelry box. It is taking him awhile to learn that I am actually really easy to please, a set of nesties, some ink pads, or ribbon and I would be bouncing off the walls. Of course, I have also been known to get excited over a shower curtain for a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the laughs and tears, ladies. I needed something to brighten my morning, as my back has been acting up the past few days. I'm especially loving the childhood stories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

My best gift is when I was 11 and I had been wanting a ten speed bike for months. I was so disappointed when we came back from midnight mass and did not see it. Later that night my dad asked me to go get his cigarettes from his bathroom and there was my new red bike.

I've gotten bad gifts throughout the years. I have never thrown anything away as I try to think that they had good intentions. I usually donate unwanted stuff and I can't really think of the "worst gift". I buy myself my own presents from dh, I just bought a new winter jacket and told him thank you for the early christmas present. He just smiles as I don't ask for much. Life is good and I am truly blessed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Worst present: I was very little and had decided I wanted to be a secretary when I grew up. :confused:

Anyway, so my grandparents kept saying they would buy me a typwriter for Christmas. So, Chriztmas comes and I open this gift from them and see from the box it is indeed a toy typewriter. I was so happy and excited, I couldn't wait to get it out of the box.

However, imagine my disappointment when I started to press the "keys" to type and discover that they were not functional keys at all. It was just a glued on "keyboard"!!

I couldn't take it and started to cry and probably whine about how horrid it was. I'm quite sure I made them feel bad. But they didn't get mad and just took the opportunity to teach me the life lesson about accepting gifts from others with gratitude and good manners, now matter how much you hate it.:rolleyes: A good lesson, which hopefully I have not forgotten.

I still remember the whole "event" like it was just yesterday. But, my grandparents did love to spoil me, and I finally got my "real" functional toy typewriter a few months later on my birthday.

My best gift is a ring my husband bought me the first year we were married. I was not expecting anything like that, since money was tight. It is still my favorite ring and has immense sentimental value to me. It has a diamond in the middle and littel petal shaped saphires all around the center, like a flower.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Wow, these are amazing stores. Don't think I can top the old-lady-used bra. Wowzer . . .

I think one of my best presents was the first present I had with the folks who became my in-laws. I was just dating my husband, and really didn't know them very well, but they all treated me like family. The presents I received that year were as if I'd always been a part of their family. I felt so welcome!

The worst was the year my parents decided to surprise us with waterski's. They thought it was such a great surprise to let us know we would start water ski-ing that summer. But, when you're 9 years old, you really want something to play with on Christmas morning. Our pictures that year had some pretty forlorn looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisView Post
No one deserves the crockpot over Victoria Secrets....Ihave a temper and I would have dropped kicked his butt all the way to the Victoria Secrets store..hope your life is much better now and his isn't..............LOL
Thank you! Everything led me where I am today. ANd it is pretty good!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes