Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp Pads/Ink question from new stamper

I have to admit that I'm a bit mystified, puzzled and confused when I read about the various inks/pigments, etc. used in stamping. I have a stamp pad (office supply variety) that has two separate felt trays - one red and one black. In addition, I have a Martha Stewart archival pigment ink pad (color coal) that I found in a box of old craft items. It's never been opened, still shrink wrapped - but about 2.5 years old. I have a few new clear stamps. Can I use any and all of the above pads with these clear pads? I read the thread about using Simple Green for cleaning stamps and plan to buy a bottle of it today. My goal is to have nice images that last and don't ruin my stamps. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Ziva, welcome to Split Coast Stampers. I am sure you will find advice and information on just about any question you have, maybe more than you need. First off, I would use the MS pigment ink pad, save the others for office use. I am not sure you would get the results you want with them, espeacially once you start to color your stamped images.

If you are using clear stamps (and you say you are) then be aware that they will stain, sometimes on the first use (depending on type of ink used) but it will not effect the quality of the image.
I have not used Simple Green for cleaning stamps so have no advice on that other than the fact it does a good job in the bathroom.

Have fun, but watch out, before long you will find your self buying more stamping supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Sewflake, thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I will follow your advice and leave the office pad for office tasks. BTW, I took a peek into your gallery and fell in love with your work. The one that touched me the most was the embossed cardinal sitting in the branches with the lovely red poinsettia popping with color in the lower right corner. Cardinals were my mom's favorite bird, and now that she's not with me any more, I feel that every time I see a cardinal, she's sending me a little reminder that she's "still here" even though I can't see her right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Happing stamping, ZivaDavid! May I suggest Momento's Tuxedo Black (and all Momento's other colors, too) for most stamping? You can buy the Dew Drop size in sets so you can try the ink out to see if you like it before you buy the big pads. It dries quickly so you can color with Copics and other brands of markers. Pigment inks usually take a little while to dry or you can use a heat tool to set the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the craft!!!

Here is a great little article on ink pads! In Touch: Ink Pad Comparisons - Let's Get Inky and Explore! by Ellen Hutson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too love the Momento inks. I use them if I am going to color with my Copics. I love love Stamping Up's inks. I am in no way affiliated with SU just a fan of their products. Another good ink is Distress Inks. I have also heard from several people like Paper Trey Ink, inks. If you are just getting into stamping I would go to a Local Scrapbook Store and see about taking a couple of card making classes. The things you will learn are invaluable. Or better yet hook up with an Stamping Up demo. I'm sure there are some where you live. Go to their website and you will be able to find one in your area. Good luck with all the new knowledge you will be learning but most important...HAVE FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't feel bad when I first started stamping I was intimidated & confused by inks. Now several years later I am still confused about inks.

Get a nice black ink pad. I love Versafine inks. Of course Memento for Copics or other Alcohol Based Markers.

Dye Inks- I agree with everyone get the Memento Dew Drops. You will have beautiful colors in a nice color spectrum without an empty wallet. You can get them easily at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's. You can use coupons too. Hobby Lobby has a big set for around $23 that's a really great starter kit. JoAnn's has some large sets too.

Start off with a nice black pad and Memento Dye Inks. My other advice don't buy a lot of ink pads until you know your style. Try different techniques and have fun playing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZivaDavid, welcome to the wonderful world of obsess..., uh, I mean stamping! ;)

The link Joan gave is wonderful for learning about inks, and like everyone else is saying, Memento Inks are wonderful, and in the dewdrop size they are very affordable. More and more, they are becoming my go-to inks, especially with clear stamps. And I have A LOT of inks, LOL!

Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a DISTRESS INKS kinda gal!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement. One more question, if I may . . .

I've seen videos on youtube.com of stampers. Often they will stamp an image at the edge of the paper, sort of in a random fashion. What do they use under the paper being stamped to protect the workspace from the ink that is not stamped onto the card?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZivaDavidView Post
Thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement. One more question, if I may . . .

I've seen videos on youtube.com of stampers. Often they will stamp an image at the edge of the paper, sort of in a random fashion. What do they use under the paper being stamped to protect the workspace from the ink that is not stamped onto the card?
Scrap paper. I use the big sheets of paper that come as stuffing in packages, smooth them out, and cover my work surface or wrap my foam cushion with that paper. Sometimes you may even want to use your stamped-on scrap paper as patterned paper because all of the random images make a pretty design. You might like to use something such as a foam cushion or pad of paper to stamp on top of because that can help you get better stamped images. Just search here on SCS and you'll find all kinds of hints that will save you money when you are starting out.

My biggest hint: don't buy it if it isn't on sale or you don't have a coupon AND you don't already have 4 of a similar style...don't buy it JUST because it IS on sale and you MIGHT need it...but if you've searched all over and haven't found "it" anywhere else (i.e. you're on vacation and you've never seen this particular stamp/brand before...then it's a souvenir from your trip ;)). Be careful in your spending because there is SO much out there to buy...I have an overflowing craftroom and not much in my savings account to proven how obssesive this craft can be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

One more question, please. How long does a stamp pad last (approximately) before it has to be reinked? If I only use it a few times a week, will it last for a while?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ink pads that have lasted for 4 years or so. Others dried out more quickly, but a non defective ink pad should last at least a year (depends on your weather also). They are a long term investment. A lot of folks buy a reinker automatically when they buy a pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Welcome!!! I personally like to use Chalk Ink stamp pads. They are great for stamping, distressing and dry quickly. I tend to use the smallest stamp pad possible (Cat's eyes) and I usually buy the re-inker because of that. I like the small ink pads because they take up less space. I have a few stamp pads that are years old. It tends to depend on the type of ink, how juicy the pad is and how much you use them. Clearsnap � Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Queue � Misty Meadow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Simple Green....it's all I use to clean my stamps...I dilute it ALOT. Very powerful stuff. It makes me start coughing if I get too good of a woof so be careful with it. I use it on rubber and clear stamps and have had no problems. I have heard that there can be issues with it eating up the rubber if you use too much....I have not had any issues with that in the past 3 years but again I dilute. I do however, make sure that I give a little extra scrub off when I am using my clear stamps.

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Create NZ Scrapbooking and Cardmaking Supplies Good chart explaining what ink to use.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTruckerView Post
Welcome, fellow NCISer! I'm a Gibblet myself, but Ziva rocks, too. The inks recommended by Arlenevita will be much easier to locate if you look for Memento, rather than Momento. I agree absolutely with her that you should buy the little sets of Dew Drops, and think the Tsukineko (that's who manufactures the Memento line) Chalk Inks are the best for much of my stamping. But I'm an old stamper who has mostly rubber, much of it purchased unmounted over the years.
Soooo funny. We love the Gibblet too, but are "Abbynormal" fans mostly! I use SU ink pads and love them. I have about all the ink pads I need now, so am going to start ordering the reinkers on a few of my favorites.

This seems like a dumb question but how do you reink? Just pour it all over the pad? How much does it take? Just wondering how far an SU reinker will go. Reink once? twice? more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Me too. Also love the way Gibbs smacks Tony on the back of his head - lol. I even watch the repeats (when nothing else is on due to reruns) on a cable channel. Back to ink.......Most craft stores carry Memento and Versafine and with coupons, it's very reasonable.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Soooo funny. We love the Gibblet too, but are "Abbynormal" fans mostly! I use SU ink pads and love them. I have about all the ink pads I need now, so am going to start ordering the reinkers on a few of my favorites.

This seems like a dumb question but how do you reink? Just pour it all over the pad? How much does it take? Just wondering how far an SU reinker will go. Reink once? twice? more?
I drop 8-12 drops on the ink pad then used the tip of the reinker to rub it in. I can get a dozen or so out of a reinker. The only ones I have ever needed to purchase multiples of have been my brown and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
I drop 8-12 drops on the ink pad then used the tip of the reinker to rub it in. I can get a dozen or so out of a reinker. The only ones I have ever needed to purchase multiples of have been my brown and black.
Thanks! That helps a lot. I am not buying reinkers for all my colors. Just those I am using a lot. I did buy some for some retired colors because I had just bought the ink pads and wanted to make sure I could use them a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes