Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pink ATG Refills Question

I recently bought the Pink ATG and love it. I bought some refills from Tape Depot to try out. I do notice the texture of the tape is slightly thinner than the original 3M tape that came with the gun but it appears acceptable so far. I'm "testing" it to see if it holds up as well as the 3M brand. I believe the refills I bought were 36 yards per spool. I've noticed on another site that the 1/4 rolls also come in 18, 36 and 60 yards. The pricing on the 60 yards was quite decent but I'm not sure if it will fit the Pink ATG. Has anyone tried a 60 yard roll in the Pink ATG?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to know too. I just bought the pink ATG with the last 50% off coupon Michaels offered. I also bought some refills, but I found I've gone through two rolls of tape already. What site did you see the 60yd rolls?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 60 yard roll on my 3M 714. If the pink ATG is EXACTLY the same as the same as the 714, the 60 yd roll should fit. (I know the color of the ATG is different but OP have stated that than that it is a same as the 714. Some say the pink ATG is lighter weight-not for commercial use.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Sounds like it will work then. A couple places I have found it:

987 3M ATG Scotch double sided TAPE 1/4"x 60 yards NEW! on eBay.ca (item 220689239847 end time 27-Nov-10 15:50:45 EST)

and here about 3/4 of the way down the page for $3.15/roll if buying only 1-11 rolls:

3MATGTape
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I got a Pink ATG awhile back and have spent a great deal of time using it and the adhesive which came with it...in addition to another 4 rolls! I gotta say, that tape is crummy...sorry but it's true. I have been working for weeks preparing for a craft show. When I went back to some of the earlier items I put together, they were coming apart! The adhesive won't "lay down" it strings out from the paper/cardstock surface and breaks then gets all "gummy"! That's a techno word I believe! Anyway, I won't be buying anymore of the 3M refills. I will try the Tape Depot tape one time and one time only! If it doesn't work any better than the adhesive made for the gun, I am going back to plain old liquid glue! But geesh, who woulda thought that Scotch couldn't make tape!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
Sounds like it will work then. A couple places I have found it:

987 3M ATG Scotch double sided TAPE 1/4"x 60 yards NEW! on eBay.ca (item 220689239847 end time 27-Nov-10 15:50:45 EST)

and here about 3/4 of the way down the page for $3.15/roll if buying only 1-11 rolls:

3MATGTape
The tape is cheap enough, but the shipping is just as much as the product. Not really a great deal after that, and if you get dinged customs.... Guess I'll keep looking locally. There's a couple art gallery/stores near where I am. I'm going to check to see if they use it and if they would sell me a few rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dflora3168View Post
I got a Pink ATG awhile back and have spent a great deal of time using it and the adhesive which came with it...in addition to another 4 rolls! I gotta say, that tape is crummy...sorry but it's true. I have been working for weeks preparing for a craft show. When I went back to some of the earlier items I put together, they were coming apart! The adhesive won't "lay down" it strings out from the paper/cardstock surface and breaks then gets all "gummy"! That's a techno word I believe! Anyway, I won't be buying anymore of the 3M refills. I will try the Tape Depot tape one time and one time only! If it doesn't work any better than the adhesive made for the gun, I am going back to plain old liquid glue! But geesh, who woulda thought that Scotch couldn't make tape!?
When I ordered my gun, there was a delay in shipment as they had an issue with the tape. Maybe you ended up with a bad batch with yours. You're the first person I've seen on here complaining about the 3M tape. I found the tape too sticky and sometimes it stuck too quickly for me to readjust a accidental crooked placement. I've been giving the Tape Depot brand a try and so far I'm liking the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
The tape is cheap enough, but the shipping is just as much as the product. Not really a great deal after that, and if you get dinged customs.... Guess I'll keep looking locally. There's a couple art gallery/stores near where I am. I'm going to check to see if they use it and if they would sell me a few rolls.
Now that I know it fits, I'll watch for it at a decent price. It would have to be a little $4 to be competitive with what I've been getting from Tape Depot. My daughter is attending school in the US so I have stuff shipped to her and then bring it home when I go down to visit. I hate that so many places won't ship to Canada, or when they do, the high shipping costs make it not worthwhile. I do find a lot of good deals though for shipping to Canada. I am waiting patiently for some Black Friday sales to have shipped to my daughter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Now that I know it fits, I'll watch for it at a decent price. It would have to be a little $4 to be competitive with what I've been getting from Tape Depot. My daughter is attending school in the US so I have stuff shipped to her and then bring it home when I go down to visit. I hate that so many places won't ship to Canada, or when they do, the high shipping costs make it not worthwhile. I do find a lot of good deals though for shipping to Canada. I am waiting patiently for some Black Friday sales to have shipped to my daughter!
I wish I knew someone living in the states. I had checked out the PO box rental, but that was outrageously expensive too. I guess I'll just have to win LottoMax when it hits 50 million and then get a winter home down there somewhere....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I recently bought the Pink ATG and love it. I bought some refills from Tape Depot to try out. I do notice the texture of the tape is slightly thinner than the original 3M tape that came with the gun but it appears acceptable so far. I'm "testing" it to see if it holds up as well as the 3M brand. I believe the refills I bought were 36 yards per spool. I've noticed on another site that the 1/4 rolls also come in 18, 36 and 60 yards. The pricing on the 60 yards was quite decent but I'm not sure if it will fit the Pink ATG. Has anyone tried a 60 yard roll in the Pink ATG?

Thanks!
The Tape Depot is not as strong as the 3M tape. I have noticed that the Tape Depot tape does not hold my boxes together like the 3M tape does. I use the Tape Depot tape all the time on my cards. It is perfect for cards and I love the cheap price. I am thinking about getting another ATG gun for use with 3M tape for my altered projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogwomanView Post
The Tape Depot is not as strong as the 3M tape. I have noticed that the Tape Depot tape does not hold my boxes together like the 3M tape does. I use the Tape Depot tape all the time on my cards. It is perfect for cards and I love the cheap price. I am thinking about getting another ATG gun for use with 3M tape for my altered projects.
Good idea! The idea of a second gun is something I'll consider down the road. I haven't tried the TD tape on boxes but like you say, I think the 3M tape that came with it would be fairly strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I wish I knew someone living in the states. I had checked out the PO box rental, but that was outrageously expensive too. I guess I'll just have to win LottoMax when it hits 50 million and then get a winter home down there somewhere....
I hear you! I'm now addicted to Amazon.com and the great deals I've been finding there. I don't know what I'll do when my daughter comes home in the Spring. I'm hoping she opts for the University of Maine for the fall so I can continue to shop til I drop (or go broke trying). If the border is driveable from where you're at, have you heard of

https://www.kinek.com/

This one seems quite reasonable and I might try it after my daughter comes home. Calais, Maine is only six hours from me so it would be doable in a day if my orders were big enough to justify the trip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The Tape Depot tape has always held up for me. I've never had any problems at all with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I hear you! I'm now addicted to Amazon.com and the great deals I've been finding there. I don't know what I'll do when my daughter comes home in the Spring. I'm hoping she opts for the University of Maine for the fall so I can continue to shop til I drop (or go broke trying). If the border is driveable from where you're at, have you heard of

https://www.kinek.com/

This one seems quite reasonable and I might try it after my daughter comes home. Calais, Maine is only six hours from me so it would be doable in a day if my orders were big enough to justify the trip.
I just checked that out and it looks like the nearest delivery point is about a 10 hour drive from Calgary. Not really a day trip. I'll guess I'll have to work on the lottery option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #15  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know of a supplier for the tape refills closer to Vancouver, BC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just checked that out and it looks like the nearest delivery point is about a 10 hour drive from Calgary. Not really a day trip. I'll guess I'll have to work on the lottery option.
A 10-hour trip is a bit more than a day trip but worth it for a 3-4 day trip if there's good shopping :-)

My daughter is 13 hours from home in Winchendon, MA. We usually make it a day of driving down, a day or two solely with her, and then another day driving back home. We have to stay in 48 hours though if we want to bring back duty free alcohol or cigarettes and that gives us each a $400 exemption from paying the HST on goods we buy in the US. I always bring a cooler and stock up on groceries too. I stock the cooler with turkey at 79 cents a pound (or less) versus $1.99 at home, milk at $3 something for a 4-litre jug versus $5.29-$7.00 at home, cheese, cream cheese, etc (usually double price at home). Poultry and dairy products are regulated in Nova Scotia and we pay some of the highest prices in Canada for these items so I stock up when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #17  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

We live in Canada and want to support our own country and try our best to buy locally whenever we can. We only live 5 mins from the border but never go across - we prefer to stay on this side when purchasing. We're on a fixed retirement income so watch our pennies but still shop at home. We do our vacationing in Canada, too - lots to see right here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
We live in Canada and want to support our own country and try our best to buy locally whenever we can. We only live 5 mins from the border but never go across - we prefer to stay on this side when purchasing. We're on a fixed retirement income so watch our pennies but still shop at home. We do our vacationing in Canada, too - lots to see right here.
I wish I could afford to do the same but my budget is just way too tight so I have to save where I can. I have a fixed working income and with all the increases as of late, I have less dollars available every month to cover things such as groceries. If I could save this kind of money on my side of the border I would. I normally only get to the US once or twice a year but with my daughter in school there, I'll have more frequent trips this year school year and I have to take advantage. We had to make a lot of financial sacrifices for her to attend school in the USA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #19  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

We live on a fixed retirement income that isn't much and a wee bit of CPP, but still support our own merchants on this side of the border and do without lots of things that others buy. We all do what we think is best, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I've always had an issue with the words "fixed income". In reality, most incomes are fixed, not just those of retired people. While I'm not retired, I could go find another job but chances are it won't be with bags of extra money over and above what I make now and my income is essentially "fixed" by the collective agreement I fall under for the next few years. The same is true of retired seniors that are going back in the workforce just to make ends meet. On the other hand, I know several retired persons who bring home nice pensions and clear way more than my husband and I do yet they consider themselves on a fixed income. I'm not saying they don't deserve it or that they didn't earn it, but the term "fixed income" doesn't always equate with "poor"
Reply With Quote Likes