Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you sell your cards for?

I have been posting some of my cards on Facebook, and I have had numerous people ask of they were for sale.

I had not really thought about selling my cards before, but since i have people offering, im concidering it

what is the going rate for hand made cards? I dont know what to charge at all

I said 2 dollars a card and my friend said that i need to charge more.

So I was asked for 20 Thank you cards that are Nicer than what you can buy in the store I quoted her $50 and she freaked out..... so i dont know where to start........

Im not good at taking pictures of my work so i dont haev any of my new stuff on my gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by passionmommyView Post
I have been posting some of my cards on Facebook, and I have had numerous people ask of they were for sale.

I had not really thought about selling my cards before, but since i have people offering, im concidering it

what is the going rate for hand made cards? I dont know what to charge at all

I said 2 dollars a card and my friend said that i need to charge more.

So I was asked for 20 Thank you cards that are Nicer than what you can buy in the store I quoted her $50 and she freaked out..... so i dont know where to start........ Im not good at taking pictures of my work so i dont haev any of my new stuff on my gallery

She did ask for Nicer than store bought did she not?....Only $2.50 a card. Not over priced if you ask me. Show her how much supplies cost and then tell her to add in your time. She might change her mind. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think $50 for 20 nice Thank You cards isn't unreasonable. Thats only $2.50 a card for pete's sake. It will definitely cost you more in materials & time to make that card. If this person wants cheap, they should go to the Dollar Store, and then they will see what they get for cheap. I've been selling my cards at craft shows over the last couple months. I have 3 categories: plain or not much work involved to put together (CAS cards mostly), average (the kind I usually make), and elaborate (more work, more embellishments, more detailed colouring). I charge $4, $5, & $6 respectively for my cards and I haven't heard anyone complain yet. Of course, it all depends on the market in your area. Calgary has the highest number of engineers per capita in Canada and a very high executive salary earning popluation, so there is a lot of disposable income in this city. I think budgets might be a little tighter in areas where the population depends more on, say, farming or manufacturing. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I struggle with this same problem. I was charging $1.75 but that was because the stamping/gift store I had my cards in was selling theirs for that price. But now that store is closed, so I am selling mine for $2.00. Right now I sell mainly online and at craft sales. I get some people tell me, my cards are too cheap and others say that they would never spend more than $1 for "handmade cards" (they say it with distain in their voice).

If I have a really fancy card or one with more expensive embellishments or paper on it (like metal) I will charge more.

I only knew where to start my pricing based on what as selling in my area. Now I'm the only one, so I can kind of do what I want.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tough call, it depends on where you are and how many people are offering them (supply/demand).

Usually wedding thank you cards are $10-$20 for 50 at the store or $2 each for custom printed.

If they are not too complicated and won't take you too long to make I would ask for $25-$35 since $50 was out of her "budget" and see what she says.

I usually sell my cards for $3 each but discount them if people buy more than one.

I sell my holiday cards - a pack of 10 for $20 and then discount closer to Xmas to get rid of extras 10 for $15, then 10 for $10.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sell at work for $1.50 each. Some people pay me more than my asking price, others have walked away when asking, "They're 50 cents, right?" And my answer is, "No, $1.50." I know some charge more, but my experience has been that this is what they will sell for where I am. It helps feed my habit. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Both in the boutique where I consign and in my Etsy shop, I price them from $4 to $4.50 depending on the complexity. I used to sell them for just $2 each when I did a lot of craft fairs, and to be honest eventually I started feeling burnt out from barely covering the cost of materials and making practically nothing for my time. Sure I sold fewer cards at first, but I was pocketing more in the end for the same amount of work. Truthfully, though, after that initial drop some time passed and I started seeing my sales INCREASE! There's something to be said for not undervaluing your work, and often with those who actually appreciate handcrafted items will shy away from things that are too cheap because in their minds it equates to lower quality.

I've actually thought about increasing my prices again, because I'm still well below the price of mass-printed generic cards off the rack at Hallmark!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

i sell to a local boutique.....i get $2.25 per card. i try to make them interesting but not over the top. funny, you look at adhesives and embelllies etc in a different light when selling many at one time

who knows if the boutique will ask for more cards....but i got cash for each, no consignment and i thought that was a good thing

if i sell to people i know, $3 each if it is elaborate.....

a close friend...no charge. i think it is harder to sell to people you know than to strangers.

i made $550 at the boutique and if they never ask for another, i think i did good.

of course, i made several wonderful PTI purchases with this $$

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Our local store sells them for $3 each which includes an envelope. I sell them for $2 with an envelope or $1 without one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell thousands of cards a year. I charge $3.00 per card in all the avenues I sell cards. It balances out for some easier and some more complicated cards. It can be very lucrative to sell cards but it helps me pay for the cards for troops project and support the youth group at my church with cards to sell for their fund raisers.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

The ones in my etsy store are $3.50 - $6.00, depending on size and complexity.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

It's all in how you present it. Instead of saying $50 for 20 cards, just say $2.50 each. Let them do the math. when you state $2.50 each, it sounds very reasonable, which it actually is, but all she heard was the $50!! LOL...just my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I also think store bought "thank you" cards that would be boxed up in a set are cheaper-much cheaper than idividual cards. I'd have to make a set that was fairly simple in design and sell it for $20.00 or even less.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-23-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I sell mine for $3.50-$5.00 each. I have regular customers that purchase a dozen for $50. They are detailed cards with finished insides, envelope, and clear envelope. I charge for supplies AND my time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I sell my cards on Etsy from 4.00 to 6.00 each. Sometimes I will make mini cards and sell a set of 3 for 4.95. It depends on the amount of embellishments that is on each card. Most of my cards are very detailed and intricate so the price reflects that.

My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I sell my cards on Etsy for 5.50 (not so elaborate) and 6.50 to 7.00 for more elaborate (my style) and I've sold many cards. Do not sell yourself short! I hate to see people selling their handmade cards for 2 or 3 dollars a piece! You could never touch a store bought card for that price! Just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

The cards I sell (in my Etsy store) only appeal to a certain segment of society - I have no problem getting between $4 and $5 a piece. I think I have sold around 160 at the price.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

While everyone is on this topic - my question

I made a set of cards with matching gift tags... so 5 cards each of 5 designs = 25 cards with 25 tags.

I am donating this set to a fundraising auction. How much is the retail value i need to list?

I am thinking $2.00 per card, plus 5 tags for $1.00. Total value would be $55.00 (not including the fabulously cute basket I got to package them in!)

And what about a set of 15 all occasion cards?

Most are one layer plus ribbon. Not too bulky to mail.
Thanks!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

$3 or 2/$5
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Interesting post...I have no plans on ever selling my cards...but I often wondered what y'all would be selling them for.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
It's all in how you present it. Instead of saying $50 for 20 cards, just say $2.50 each. Let them do the math. when you state $2.50 each, it sounds very reasonable, which it actually is, but all she heard was the $50!! LOL...just my honest opinion.
I think you're right. It's much easier to plunk down $2.50 for a single card, than $50 for 20 all at one pop. It might be easier to get $50 for a box of assorted cards (birthday, get well, thank you....etc) But for 20 thank you's .....well that alot of thank you cards.

But of course my opinion doesn't count for anything, I've never tried to sell my cards yet. YET. I'm thinking of making up enough inventory to sell at work . I work at a Children's Hospital, and I would donate 50% of the proceeds to our Oncology department. That I think would sweeten the pot. Of course then I would probably only recover my material costs....... but this is a hobby for me - and would be much more practical than giving away free piano or guitar lessons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell my cards to a local chocolate shop and she marks them up slightly which means I can get a descent price without pricing myself out of the local market. General rule of thumb that I have read here is to figure your costs (including adhesive, evelopes and paper and then multiply that by three to figure the sales price) She sells that cards between $3 for very simple A2 cards to $6.95 for a complicated ornate card with embellishments that is usually an A6 card. I find that the A6 cards sell better, so I am making many more of those lately. I still make A2 cards for thank you cards sometimes since not everyone wants to write a lot! HTH

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

flat hallmark cards average 3.00 each, so I do not think 2.50 each is out of line, last year i sold mine anywhere from 4.00-10.00 each card.
(they tend to be larger then a-2 however) this year i have added some simpler designs and lowered the price on those. well see what happens. (next month)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by strappystamperView Post
I sell my cards on Etsy for 5.50 (not so elaborate) and 6.50 to 7.00 for more elaborate (my style) and I've sold many cards. Do not sell yourself short! I hate to see people selling their handmade cards for 2 or 3 dollars a piece! You could never touch a store bought card for that price! Just my opinion!
Jackie I totally agree with you. I hate to see someone underprice themselves and basically give their stuff away. A store bought card that is NOT unique, not handmade sells for 3.00, so anything handmade and one of a kind and dimensional should surely be sold at double that. If people don't want to pay that, then let them buy a generic card at a store. Don't underestimate your work, there are people out there that see the beauty and work that goes into this type of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I know things can depend on the area of the country we are from, but wow. I wish I could get $3.00 or more for my cards.

I had a craft sale earlier this month and only sold 1 card. I was bummed, but got past it and looking forward to the next one this weekend. When I got home from the other craft sale, I started working on cards. My mom was surprised that I was still making cards when the craft sale was so bad. I told her that I love to make cards and I will always make cards, selling them is just a wonderful bonus!!!

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I forgot to add that most of my cards are the square 5 1/2 size - not sure if that makes a difference for price.
I just took a custom order for 9 cards @ $5.50 a piece.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't get too discouraged by low sales at craft shows. That's how I got my start and at first I would only sell a few cards. Shoppers were either crafters who said to their friends or themselves...I can make that so I won't buy it...I'll just use the idea. The other type was looking for a bargin and did not understand the value of a handmade card.

Since then, I've been fortunate enough to be part of an artist's co-op where I sell my cards for $4-5 for A2 and $2 for 3x3 cards. I sell about 800-1000 cards a year there.

A question for those who sell lots of cards. How do you keep from getting burnt out? Sometimes cardmaking becomes a chore because I have to keep the store stocked whether I feel like making cards or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been doing cards for about 6 years now. Supplying two swim teams with 1250 cards each to sell...this has been VERY lucrative for me. I also have a basket in hubbys office for $3.00 per card some more elaborate than others and that basket alone nets between $75.00 and $125.00 most weeks. During the holidays the basket nets much much more. I also supply (donate for $3.00 per card write off) all the cards to the church youth group twice a year for fund raisers so they can go to bible camp and all the cards for the same write off amount to the person who sends out the birthday and anniversary cards to church members. I also have a rack that is around 500 cards in the church bookstore which when sold the cash goes into the building fund. This rack also is supplied and I am compensated at $3.00 per card write off. Last year the cards I donated brought me a $5700.00 tax write off...it isnt cash but it sure helps.

Do I get burned out...I would say no way...there are always so many new toys to play with and papers...yummy. I love to create the cards. I normally come up with the first one and then make 24 or 36 and one time 96 of the same design. I have boxes all lined up and I just divide the cards up into each box for the different things I support. I hope I never ever burn out on cards..too many people rely on me for them. How do I supply so many cards...I work not quite full time 33 hours a week and when I get home I get a quick bite to eat and then it is off to the stamp room til bed time. I have a great room with a nice flat panel tv to keep me company. My kids are all grown and gone..baby (21 next March!) is at Pensacola Christian College and hubby travels around the country Mon-Fri each week for work. So when I am in my stamp room I am happy, family knows where I am...and I stay out of trouble..well for the most part anyway..lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes