Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with people not commenting on cards in the gallery?

Are the blogs the rage these days? I just posted my first card on here in a LONG time... as in since 2008. No comment on it yet. So I wonder if my cardmaking skill has taken a turn for the worst LOL. I just need some love... as well many others who haven't gotten comments. :-)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #2  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jess, i hadn't checked your card, so can't comment specifically (yet). but, i've posted more comments in the last few weeks than i have in months. i've been checking the gallery quite a bit lately.

i've posted a few cards in the last month that didn't get many comments either. i'd assume it's because so many uploads occur in a day, that lots of people just don't have time to search the gallery to see what's been loaded in the last week ;)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

One thing I've noticed is that the cards that get comments are the ones in the challenge galleries, and then usually only on the day of the challenge. Not strictly true, but more true than it used to be. I think one thing is that there are sooooo many people that have joined this great site, and sooooo many cards uploaded, that people have to pick and choose where to spend their time. I know that I'm often guilty of having just a snippet of time to upload a card, but ZERO time to look at (let alone comment on) anyone else's...

If/when I do find a few minutes to peruse the galleries, I try to comment as much as possible and ALWAYS if I put the card in my favorites! Don't get discouraged - keep uploading and you're sure to get some notice/love eventually... I'll go take a quick peek right now, as a matter of fact, before I go to bed!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I left you a comment, I love your card!

Don't feel bad if you don't always get any/many comments...I see lots of galleries with beautiful cards and not a lot of comments. A lot of times it's a visibility issue IMO...cards posted to challenges get more comments than just a random, since there are more people viewing and posting there all day long.

Also, some people consider the views more important than comments...people took the time to take a second look, even if they didn't leave a message. And of course you may also get your card favorited without comments...some people just don't leave them.

Anyway, you should try out a challenge soon, it's a lot of fun and keeps you thinking. GL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestermannView Post
Are the blogs the rage these days? I just posted my first card on here in a LONG time... as in since 2008. No comment on it yet. So I wonder if my cardmaking skill has taken a turn for the worst LOL. I just need some love... as well many others who haven't gotten comments. :-)
I don't get that either...you will see a card that many people have looked at but didn't bother to leave a comment. (I think you have to have your own circle of friends??)
Anywho your card is great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I'm guilty of not leaving comments everytime I visit the gallery, but I don't always have alot of time. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate everyone's effort in sharing their work here though! I must also admit that I personally love to surf around blog land! There is so much more room for folks to share their work, tutorials, etc...
I wish I had 180 hours in a day then I'd be ALL OVER that gallery but I have to choose what I do with the time I have on the computer and that's how I personally choose to spend it.
Another thing I notice about commenting in the gallery, sometimes if you say "Hey, great card!" or "Thanks for sharing your work!" you still get people upset because that's all you said and you didn't give feedback on every little detail. I just don't have that kind of time, lol! I DO comment for sure if I favorite a card though!
Now I'm off to look at your gallery;)
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

just wondering....have you (the OP) left comments on other people's cards???
I am the queen of the 2 word comment...i have about 15 min. each morning to look at the gallery so I try to see as much as i can. If i click on a card, i leave a short and sweet comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Guilty. I look and look, but someone said: I don't seem to have the time either. I do go in and try to leave comments whenever I have time though. I would love more comments on my cards, the encouragement does help. But it's okay. I also post mine on Facebook and get lots of positive feedback from family and friends.
Terry, that's what I do! If I look, I comment, even two words, or one: "WOW!" that's my favorite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Awww you guys are too sweet! I wasn't being negative. I was just wondering, I've been away from the boards for so long so I wonder what's in/out - dos/don'ts. :-)

I do comment on some people's cards when I have a chance. I know people are busy but I was wondering if I should start a blog or something like that. Thanks for letting me know as well leaving some loving words on my card.

:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

All of what y'all say is true! The challenges do attract more comments; there are hundreds or thousands of uploads every day; and the quickest way to receive comments is to leave comments.

I don't have a lot of gallery viewing time, but I try to at least comment on most of the ones if I'm doing a challenge. And I try my best to leave a comment for everyone who takes the time to comment on mine. About the only time I miss is if the comment is way after the upload and I just don't see it.

So, it's not that your work is unappreciated, it's just that it hasn't had the exposure. Leave a few comments and I bet you'll have some in return!
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Julie! Good to know. I have decided to do more challenges, so I will keep this in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Years ago when I first joined SCS it was much easier to see and comment on all the newly uploaded cards as there were not nearly as many members then. Now the number of daily uploads in staggering. The community has grown so much that it is nearly impossible to keep up. I personally look at the challenge galleries when I get to play so I can at the very least support the people who have played along in that challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #13  

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I also agree with what has been said above. The shear numbers have increased so much and there are so many cards it is hard to get people to take time in their busy lives to comment. I think lots of people look and that's it.
I really try hard to go to the home page once a week and look at all the cards from the past week that are sitting with zero comments. After all, I think that many of the cards sitting with no comments are fantastic and need someone to give them some love but have just been buried in all the cards uploaded to the general gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Your gallery is GREAT! I also don't get to see all the cards in the gallery.....there are way too many each day for me to keep up! Lately, I find myself searching for cards for a specific holiday or occasion, and often comment on a card that was posted a few years ago. My gallery doesn't get that many comments either.....don't get discouraged!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I know whatcha mean Jess, it does make one go hmmmmm maybe I shouldn't bother.. , and then other hand I undersand and know what everyone else has said too. Just like everyone else I have limited time in the galleries but if I see a card I want to favorite I say something. It is always nice to get that pat on the back even if it is two words..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I cannot comment. I try but when I do I only see the "submit" button when I click this after I comment I do not see my comment posted. At first I believed that they were just verifying me so to speak. When I go back to check my comment it is still not there. I use yo be able to comment when I first sign on to SCS. Anyone know what is happening? Oddly enough I can always comment in the General talk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
I cannot comment. I try but when I do I only see the "submit" button when I click this after I comment I do not see my comment posted. At first I believed that they were just verifying me so to speak. When I go back to check my comment it is still not there. I use yo be able to comment when I first sign on to SCS. Anyone know what is happening? Oddly enough I can always comment in the General talk.
Make sure you are signed in. Up at top right hand side there is an envolope. To the left of that it says Welcome, Gracey'sgirl. If you can't see this, than you are not signed in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

For me, it's a time issue. I barely have time to come to SCS at all anymore (forums or gallery). When I do, it's a quick check a couple of things then I'm off again. I can't remember the last time I was even able to look at an entire day's gallery uploads. I barely even get time to check out my favorite blogs anymore, so it's not like I'm blog hopping and not commenting here - I barely have time for internet at all anymore with holidays coming up, kids back in school and all their activities to keep track of. I barely comment at all, although I still try to get some in here and there. I'm one that if I really want to spend more time looking at the project upload, I'll throw it in My Favorites so I don't lose track of it, since there are sooooo many uploads now, it's really easy to lose track of something you just saw. In a perfect world, there would be time to play in the forums, check out in detail all the gallery uploads, actually have time to create my own projects as much as I want and still get all the regular chores/errands done. Until that happens, there won't be many comments from me or even gallery views.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
It's possible that might be something to do with the apostrophe in your user name. I've read of other people with an apostrophe having that problem. Their workaround is to hit the Post a Comment link at the bottom of the write-up, box, (under Techniques field, along with Add to Favourites, etc rather than using the Quick Reply box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestermannView Post
With respect to blogs, I may get 150 page views and only 4 comments. I find the same is true here in the gallery. 100 views 2 comments. I think it just boils down to people being busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if one of the admin people can answer this one: I like to go into the gallery and do the slide show option. When this is activated does each card that comes up get its view count incrmented by 1? If so, I am a BIG abuser of looking and not commenting!

What I don't like is when someone tags my card as a favorite and does not comment. I figured if I like a card enough to want to look at it again, then it is only common courtesy to say something to the artist. This is when I will ALWAYS place a comment on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally I always comment on any card that I save to my favs. I try to make a comment on 10 cards a day. I mean that is a personal goal. I have a small gallery and don't upload the majority of the cards I make. It takes so much extra time to upload your cards. Now if I pull up a card and it says check my blog for deets I just go onto another card. If I like your card I am going to check your blog anyway. There is so much awesome talent on this site it blows my mind. I know for myself if the site itself would allow us to go back to the gallery once we leave a comment I would leave more. It takes a lot of time to start over after every comment. Yes the challenges get more comments but that is because so many of the designers do the challenges and they want to thank people for their participation. I think that's great. So don't take it personally if you don't get comments. You have a lot of competition out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
I wonder if one of the admin people can answer this one: I like to go into the gallery and do the slide show option. When this is activated does each card that comes up get its view count incrmented by 1? If so, I am a BIG abuser of looking and not commenting!

What I don't like is when someone tags my card as a favorite and does not comment. I figured if I like a card enough to want to look at it again, then it is only common courtesy to say something to the artist. This is when I will ALWAYS place a comment on a card.
I try never to do that. Good point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyfillyView Post
Personally I always comment on any card that I save to my favs. I try to make a comment on 10 cards a day. I mean that is a personal goal. I have a small gallery and don't upload the majority of the cards I make. It takes so much extra time to upload your cards. Now if I pull up a card and it says check my blog for deets I just go onto another card. If I like your card I am going to check your blog anyway. There is so much awesome talent on this site it blows my mind. I know for myself if the site itself would allow us to go back to the gallery once we leave a comment I would leave more. It takes a lot of time to start over after every comment. Yes the challenges get more comments but that is because so many of the designers do the challenges and they want to thank people for their participation. I think that's great. So don't take it personally if you don't get comments. You have a lot of competition out there.
I agree. So much talent and so many people uploading pics, it's hard to keep up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyfillyView Post
All you have to do is right click on the card to open a new window to leave a comment. You can have 20 open windows, leave comments and the gallery will be in the same spot:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
All you have to do is right click on the card to open a new window to leave a comment. You can have 20 open windows, leave comments and the gallery will be in the same spot:p
I never KNEW that! Thanks much! Posting comments just got easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I'm "guilty" of not posting a message. This is my 1st EVER posting (anywhere online). It took forever for me just to join SCS. I'm just "shy" and never know what to say. I don't even have a gallery. Everyone's work is so beautiful & inspiring. I will try to get up the "gumption" and post! Glad I found this thread...everyone seems really nice & it's nice to know a "1-word" post is OK too. Thank YOU for bringing this up. Break over...back to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do leave comments IF there are details filled out by the op about the cards. Basic supplies are fine with me.
If there is no info I do not comment. I will NEVER click on another blog from SCS or anywhere. Several of clicked on blog links from the Gallery here on SCS last year and we all got very nasty viruses on our computers. 2 SCSers had complete crashes from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

When I save cards as a favorite, I am usually just breezing through the what's new. I comment when I go back and look at it again. The only problem with that is it may be a long time later. Like one I commented on recently had been in the gallery for a good two years. Would someone even know that I commented? For example, do they get a notice saying someone just commented on your card?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 AM   #30  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
Like one I commented on recently had been in the gallery for a good two years. Would someone even know that I commented? For example, do they get a notice saying someone just commented on your card?
If they were subscribed to get email updates for that card, they will get one, yes - unless they unsubscribed at some stage, which is pretty unlikely. I love it when I get comments on older cards .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
When I save cards as a favorite, I am usually just breezing through the what's new. I comment when I go back and look at it again. The only problem with that is it may be a long time later. Like one I commented on recently had been in the gallery for a good two years. Would someone even know that I commented? For example, do they get a notice saying someone just commented on your card?
YES, I DO!! lol, cause I want to see comments. I ALWAYS check, notice or not. In fact, I don't need a notice. And I reply to comments! So keep the comments coming, cause I sure appreciate them. Look, I figure, if I want to see my own self improvement and know how I am really doing (just a little insecure) feedback helps. I want to know how others feel about my work. And comments provide that feedback. So no feedback is kind of a downer. But that's okay, cause I know people, like me, are simply busy, and would do it more if it were easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Someone tagging my card as a favorite is a compliment in itself and just about as valuable as a comment sometimes. If it is favorited or viewed by several, I feel the value of other's admiration. People are too busy sometimes to leave a comment. After all, there's stamping to do!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
YES, I DO!! lol, cause I want to see comments. I ALWAYS check, notice or not. In fact, I don't need a notice. And I reply to comments! So keep the comments coming, cause I sure appreciate them. Look, I figure, if I want to see my own self improvement and know how I am really doing (just a little insecure) feedback helps. I want to know how others feel about my work. And comments provide that feedback. So no feedback is kind of a downer. But that's okay, cause I know people, like me, are simply busy, and would do it more if it were easier.
I too have the notice set for comments. I am always tickled to see a comment. The really nice ones are on an element or technique that I was not thrilled with on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
Someone tagging my card as a favorite is a compliment in itself and just about as valuable as a comment sometimes. If it is favorited or viewed by several, I feel the value of other's admiration. People are too busy sometimes to leave a comment. After all, there's stamping to do!!!
A BIG COMPLIMENT! The person looking has the power! To click, to look, to comment, to favorite. If they pick mine, I take that as a compliment and am grateful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #35  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I love making the comments but it tosses me back to page one after comment. I start all over....I have a new computer and just dont get it.....but I haven't been around as much as my husband had open heart surgery. It is so different than it use to be. He stayed in hospital 7 days I drove us 5 hours home. His only PT is walking. Major problem with going to poo. I have meds to give but scarey to say the least. I am gonna get a dyanmite stick next and take care of it for a while................and my worrying...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
A BIG COMPLIMENT! The person looking has the power! To click, to look, to comment, to favorite. If they pick mine, I take that as a compliment and am grateful!
I feel the same way. If they chose MY card to Favorite...........It makes me happy!!!

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I try to comment on as many as time will allow. Sometimes it goes on and on and sometimes it is on a one or two word comment. I also consider a view and a favour just as good as a comment. At least someone use their valuable time to even look at one of my cards...even for a second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

I've noticed this too...

It is such a thrill when people favorite one of your cards... but like today... I uploaded four cards. One of them 3 people have favorited, yet not a single comment. Another had 2 people favorite it right off the bat, no comments then either. That's why I try to keep reminding myself that I don't do this for the comments... as long as I keep learning and trying, that's enough for me I admit that I look back at my old cards to see how many people have favorited it :o Bad me! Always seeking external approval!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I used to worry about not getting comments, but it no longer bothers me. I get my validation when I sell my cards and people tell me how much the recipients loved them. I'm especially pleased when I hear that they have been framed or displayed in a special place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I never expect comments when I post a card to my gallery - so when I get a comment on one of my cards, it puts a smile on my face. But I don't get discouraged by the lack of comments on my cards though - I still have so much to learn that I can't assume my cards deserve praise. (Note to the OP - all your cards are very nice... you are very talented!)

Thanks to those who take the time to give words of encouragement to novices like me.
Reply With Quote Likes