Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot me down in flames...

.....for saying this but do you find that once someone gets on a design team their blog becomes a bit samey and boring. I've followed lots of blogs but gave up when they stopped just doing their own thing. And if they become a stampin up demonstrator , well, forget it. Ok, aim and fire,lol.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't follow a lot of blogs, and have only started with the ones I'm following now this year, so I can't say that I have noticed this. However, I just got on a DT and I really hope that my blog doesn't go this way. Even more, I hope it wasn't this way to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had that with a few. I'm not sure if THEY have changed or if I have changed. I mean when I first read them maybe it all seemed fresh and new to me because that was their style, then over time my style changed and they stayed true to their own style and so it wasn't as interesting to me? Or maybe they did get a little repetitive when they started using one or two stamp companies all the time.

I never have that issue with SU blogs because there is such a variety in the style of SU stamps.

I know there are a few stamp companies that I have little interst in so if a blogger uses them exclusively I tend not to keep following that blog.

I read several hundred blogs though, so mostly I just glaze past them waiting for the gems that will get my butt off the computer and into the craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I've had that with a few. I'm not sure if THEY have changed or if I have changed. I mean when I first read them maybe it all seemed fresh and new to me because that was their style, then over time my style changed and they stayed true to their own style and so it wasn't as interesting to me? Or maybe they did get a little repetitive when they started using one or two stamp companies all the time.
This is KEY for me as a subscriber.. I will start off by LOVING someone's style or their use of certain techniques, then I will get tired of it or realize that it's not my style after all..

As a person who has been on a few DT's I will admit to using a lot of the product that has been gifted to me, but I always try to stay with my style, (that is after all what attracted them to me in the beginning). But you know, when I see a subscriber or two UN-subscribe to my blog I re-evaluate what's going on at the ol' blog, and re-focus if necessary.. Thanx for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane speedView Post
.....for saying this but do you find that once someone gets on a design team their blog becomes a bit samey and boring. I've followed lots of blogs but gave up when they stopped just doing their own thing. And if they become a stampin up demonstrator , well, forget it. Ok, aim and fire,lol.

Yip, I know exactly what you mean. Not complaining, because I so appreciate the time and effort that goes into maintaining a blog and all the info that I get free, just agreeing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not saying that anyones style has changed, though sometimes it does, it's just that some people once they start designing for a company seem to ditch all their old stamps and stick to the one company and it becomes like a promo blog which doesn't belong to the blogger any more. Because of this, if i was ever considered to be good enough to be invited on a team i would have to say no as i wouldn't want to lose my individuality, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #7  
ch
Mad Swapper

I do get tired of blog hops and non-stop advertising. But we live in a tough economy, got to pay for your play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I totally know what you mean! I try to mix it up when I post cards, CAS, lots of layers, and somewhere in between. I use ALL kinds of stamps, and supplies and like you I to get tired of seeing the same type of stamp "or company" used over, and over again. I just deleted a few blogs off of my blog list for that very reason!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I can't say too much about blogs except this -- I don't usually look at them and rarely click on links here. They take WAY TOO LONG to load!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in some cases. And, you're entitled to your opinion, of course!

I guess I look at it differently . . . I figure since I'm not paying to see the design ideas/content nor am I forced to read it, why should it matter to me what they are sharing, and whether or not it is samey or boring (to me)?

After all, if I don't like it, there are PLENTY of other smashing blogs I do like, so I'll just go read those! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't knock someone from changing thier style, Because I sure have changed mine in the past 5 years.

To each their own.......

Blogs are someone' "own" Happy Place. There are sooooo many Awesome blogs out there. The delete button in googlereader is very handy. Many blogs have come and gone in my googlereader. Sure I get upset when a blog changes but there are 100 more to take that place. To tell you the truth, I have had more problems with people dropping off the face of the earth and stop posting than people changing their style.

Sorry this bothers you so much. Have you tried contacting the blog owner and asking them why they have changed????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Like i said it's not about people changing their style, it's about becoming a slave to one company and forgetting their own style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Leslie, i've just noticed you signature, the same can be said of husbands. Try and hold a conversation and they don't want to know, until you get the laptop out,lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #14  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Like i said it's not about people changing their style, it's about becoming a slave to one company and forgetting their own style.
Just my two cents -- but, if someone tries and succeeds in getting on a DT, wouldn't it be because those stamps ARE their style. I mean, why would one try to get onto a DT for a stamp company that makes stamps that are not their style?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

I don't think they would do that if they were not having fun. Might allso be a companys "fine print" to join the DT. But then I have NO idea, noone has asked me to be on their design team, YKWIM:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Leslie, i've just noticed you signature, the same can be said of husbands. Try and hold a conversation and they don't want to know, until you get the laptop out,lol.
:p
I get the ignore-"oh, hon did you say something"?

OR

I spend 48 minutes watching one of my favorite shows and the muderer is just ready to get caught, then..........He has something "Very Important" to tell me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Julie is right no-one is forcing anyone to read any particular blogs, so create what makes you happy!

Last edited by Ronie; 10-13-2010 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: be happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I'll chime in... I do design work, but I'm certainly not a slave to any company. There are very few out there that require people to be exclusive to their images on blogs. Most companies ask you to post 3-5 samples a month. The rest of the posts for the month would be whatever the blogger opts to post on their own.

That tells me that the designer is opting to use those images because that is what they like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so agree with this! There are some that i dont follow anymore as they are just the same as the last one. What get to me more is the ones who post heap for a while then there is like a couple months of nothing. I mean mine is just as bad atm but im only new lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I've recently been asked to be on a DT for the month of October. I was so stoked to be asked - just absolutely STOKED!lol

I don't have to push any products, simple come up with a nice design each week with the colours I've been asked to use - very easy and I love it!

I try to always be true to my own style - I'm a very clean and simple stamper. I like to make cards that people can easily replicate if they like it enough.
I agree with Julie HRR's comments - if someone's blog is not my style, I cruise onto others that are! I do appreciate everyones cards though - we all have a unique way we use products ect no matter what the style and I believe there is always something we can learn from each other.

My biggest problem of late is being able to update my blog more than twice a week! I just have so much stuff going on right now with kids and extra curricular activities, that finding time for 'me' is just about impossible! I just hope my loyal followers will stick around till I can get over this time hurdle thing! lol

Karen
x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm a demo so I'm pretty much SU only BUT I was SU only LOOOONG before I became a demo...and that's WHY I joined (for the discount). I just wanted to say that one doesn't need to use more than one companies stuff to be creative or have a style or become a "slave" to that co. I use SU because I like it, not because I have to. I don't have to if I don't want to. I just can't advertise overtly for other companies which makes total sense...if I worked at the mall I wouldn't go advertising for another store in the mall...take the Limited for instance. You have to wear their clothes to work there. I look at it in much the same way. (And I do love the Limited...can you tell I LOVE to shop, hehe)

For me, I just happened upon SU first, I'm sure I'd be all CTMH or PTI if I found them first. I like that everything matches and coordinates, just makes more sense to my brain. And I've said it before, if I allowed myself to buy from everywhere I'd be homeless! No lie, I wouldn't be able to stop buying stuff!!!! I'm way more creative and USE more of my stuff after cutting everything but one supplier out! My brain was too chaotic with all that stuff that I didn't know what went with what!!!

Sorry that you're bummed about your favorite blogs. I get sad when someone I really like (their work that is) just drops off and doesn't blog anymore:-(

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have fun with your new team Karen!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Jeanne! Your so sweet! lol

Luv Karen
x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Just a thought-- I don't post all that much on my blog because I have a day job. If I were ever asked, I think I would have time to join a single design team. But I don't have a whole heck of a lot of spare time, so I think if I were on a DT, I'd only have the time to really make and post my assignments. Challenges and stuff from other companies would have to wait.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Just a thought-- I don't post all that much on my blog because I have a day job. If I were ever asked, I think I would have time to join a single design team. But I don't have a whole heck of a lot of spare time, so I think if I were on a DT, I'd only have the time to really make and post my assignments. Challenges and stuff from other companies would have to wait.
I'm not working right now and I still only have time to do the stuff I agreed to for the DT I'm on. I suppose if I was more organized and got my housework done in a timely manner I'd have more time to play, but I like going at a snail's pace right now. I do try to post about other things on my blog tho besides just crafting stuff. Not very often, but once in a while just to mix it up a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Diane, I totally get what you are saying. I think it more pronounced when they design for a company that is not really my style though! LOL (Not that I have found any companies like that...which is why I have a REAL problem!! It is like hours of enabling a week!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, I have noticed that with DT blogs. Not all but a great majority of them. I do understand why the blogger does this. I miss the personal feel of the blogs. I enjoy blogs where I feel like it's somebody who I can craft with. I don't really read blogs where I feel like they are trying to sale you something.

If my favorite blog goes in this direction I will unsub. I do understand why the blog changes direction. I look at it as they are growing as a blogger I am growing as the blog reader. It's ok to leave. The blogger will get new fans with her new found style.

I love a lot of SU blogs. I find so much creativity and thinking outside the box content. I can devour the posts.

I hope I didn't sound grumpy. Pulled a muscle in my back so typing in pain.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm, food for thought and it's always interesting to hear what people think. And I certainly understand exactly what you mean.

I joined a DT back in about April (just after I started my Blog which is not limited to cards, but I also dabble in embroidery and painting) for a store and the products they give me aren't limited to any particular brand - so I can be using a particular stamp, Vintage image, embossing folder or border punch etc - perhaps I am fortunate in that regard that I am not limited in my expression - however, I really hope that my "designs" or my promoting this store's products, don't make my Followers disappear. Being on a DT has helped me learn new styles of cardmaking and "stretched" me - but if I felt I was losing myself or self-expression in the process, I would step down. I hope that my Blog isn't a total yawn :( I do explain everything in detail for anyone who is just starting the hobby (I found that really helpful when I was just beginning) - I think it's the teacher in me - but I guess, if you can see what I did by "looking", your eyes might glaze over!:!:

So it is a timely reminder for me to not lose myself in the process and to think about what I do from a Reader's perspective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I am on a couple of design teams that have images that suit my style but I use old reitred images that still are fun for me and many new ones from other companies as well. But...my blog is my blog and I create projects that make me happy, gives me stress relief and a creative outlet. I have a fairly limited style of stamping and limited time to play. If it doens't make me happy then it doesn't get done. Many people have joined and dropped my blog and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I figure they are on to blogs that fit their need at the time. Also, it is absolutely true that as we have growth in the craft of stamping we start finding our own unique style that feels just right for us. It may take time but it does happen. I think people that have little growth in own their stamping styles are ones that are ever changing trying to keep up with the latest new "trick" out there. For me....just give me a paint brush, reinkers, watercolor paper and an open line image to paint and to create a scene around and I am a happy girl. Boring for many but gives me joy. That's just about all anyone will ever find in my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I believe that creativity is a journey. Styles change. People change. It's important to stay true to yourself and enjoy what you are creating. My advice to bloggers is to create what you love and to design for companies that you love and would want to create with regardless. Blogging does not have to be a popularity contest. Your personal blog is just that. Personal. Create for yourself otherwise you'll soon burn out.

That being said, most design teams require some many samples each month. They are sending out free product for a reason. Any design teams that I'm familiar with are not looking for a cookie cutter style and end result. It's the designer's job to put their own spin on it and to think creatively.

If you're no longer interested in a specific blog, that's fine. It's all personal choice. The designer may be going in a different direction than they originally did because that is where their creativity is taking them. Perhaps the reader is the one changing styles and interests. It's all good. Another thing to remember is that this is a tough economic climate. There is just no longer excess funds to be purchasing new goodies for every post.

Lastly, reading blogs is free. The inspiration found there is a gift from the blogger to you. If you're not interested, that's fine. Read what you want. I certainly wouldn't want to force anyone to read what I write and create. If you are interested, take time to enjoy, to give back and leave a little love.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Well said, Julia. Good thoughts, everyone!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, I've noticed this. It's just a bummer when you really liked someone's blog before they got on a DT and then you don't like that line of stamps or product and that's all they craft with. I think it's SO cool when you find a blog where out of the blue they will pull out old stamps and make a card.... love that "blast from the past" thing some do. Very neat!!

This thread kind of reminds me of a post going on recently about PaperCrafts Magazine... quite a few were saying they don't like it as much anymore because so many of the samples are done with PTI stamps.

Of course we all have the right to quit reading a blog, and of course, we all appreciate the time. I think what the original poster was saying is that it's just a bummer when it happens..... kinda like when your favorite restaurant changes its menu and takes off your favorite item!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Yeah, I've noticed this. It's just a bummer when you really liked someone's blog before they got on a DT and then you don't like that line of stamps or product and that's all they craft with. I think it's SO cool when you find a blog where out of the blue they will pull out old stamps and make a card.... love that "blast from the past" thing some do. Very neat!!

This thread kind of reminds me of a post going on recently about PaperCrafts Magazine... quite a few were saying they don't like it as much anymore because so many of the samples are done with PTI stamps.

Of course we all have the right to quit reading a blog, and of course, we all appreciate the time. I think what the original poster was saying is that it's just a bummer when it happens..... kinda like when your favorite restaurant changes its menu and takes off your favorite item!
Good analogy...and Chilis recently did this to me...grrrrrr:mad:

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Me too! What was your item? Mine was the chicken tacos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

OMW We just got back from 4 years in Japan and I was sooo disappointed about that AND the Mushroom Jack Fajitas....but the chips and queso were just as I rembered them...**yummy**

Now back to stamping, which goes very well with food, specifically chocolate in my house, so this was not totally off topic, right??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
LOL. Friday's did it too me a few years back (took away their Firebite appetizer and mushroom/onion/swiss burger), and I'm still not happy with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #37  

Quote:

We must be soulmates:-)

And to the comment about TGIF's they took away the most yummy black bean soup years ago:(

And now back to stamping talk...now that I've gotta go find something to eat, haha!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

You guys are making me hungry!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Yeah...me too! I am not taking lunch til 1 and I didnt eat breakfast! What was I thinking! And I also hate it when restaurants take my fav off the menu.

I just recently started blogging but I know what the OP is saying because I have definitely stopped checking certain blogs as much as I used to. I dont think their style changed as much as mine did or it did feel like too much advertising or (and this is just me) the actual blog itself was too busy with stuff. I like checking a more simple blog that doesnt have too many links to stuff, too many banners and ads, too many blinking things, no music, etc etc etc. (Wow, I sure sound picky!) My blog set up is probably very boring because I dont have much "stuff" on it, but then I am not beholden to anyone to advertise their wares, either.

I will just continue to make things I love, use companies I love and post when I have the chance. Like others, I am good if I get to it twice a week. I work full time, am divorced with 1 14y.o. son who is involved in everything, have elderly parents I help out, so it rarely feels like I am home much. But I hate it when someone doesnt post in forever and thats when I tend to stop following a blog even more than what the content is. I love getting different ideas even if I dont own that set, I can imagine using one I have to create something similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the OP, and that's why my blog list changes frequently. Recently, Roni Johnson of Ink Stains (a great blog) addressed this issue, explaining what she does to avoid her blog's becoming only a promotional tool for the companies whose design teams she's on. To me she does a great balancing act, which is an even greater joy to her readers!
Reply With Quote Likes