Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close To My Heart News Flash

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, I peeked at the CTMH webiste, to see what was new with their catalog, and they are now having acrylic mounted stamps. Clear stamps on clear plastic mounts.

Has anyone used this kind? Are they better?

I got invited to a party tomorrow night so I will report back with what I find.

Do you ever feel like you are being unfaithful if you buy from another company?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

The news I heard is that they're switching entirely to acrylic. They're doing this gradually, so for right now when you place an order you won't know whether wood or acrylic will show up.... until they run out of wood-mounted stamps.

I'm heading to a CTMH consultant's new catalog kickoff tomorrow night on a mission to get the scoop.

I have a PDF file of a flyer they've been handing out...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CTMHtrymeflyer.pdf (504.6 KB, 360 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #3  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Being unfaithful

If you aren't a demo, then you should buy from wherever you like and feel like you're getting the best deal. I've seen their catalog and it has some great ideas in it, but overall even though our stamps are similar I tend to like SU's better. Could be that I saw SU's first and of course now I'm very loyal.

I'm a demo so I wouldn't buy from another company. It's great to have one company like SU or CTMH where everything we have is made to coordinate. It certainly makes creativity easier! I can't compare our products because I've never used the other!

At least going to parties you can always get new ideas!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

In the past I purchased some clear acrylic stamps and did not like them at all. I sold them at a yard sale. I had a really hard time getting it all inked up well. I also had a hard time keeping ink off of the acrylic. I did like being able to see where you were stamping, but it wasn't worth the images that got screwed up. I hope this helps. They may have gotten better since I last used them about 3 years ago, but I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I have the new CTMH catalog, and let me say I'm not to excited about anything I saw. The stamps are all have to be mounted on a acylic block! I heard some people say that when they get old they don't stick as well. My CTMH demo said you can wash the stamp with warm soapy water and it will start to stick just like new. I haven't put in an order yet! I have used the alphabet set that they put out new last year and I didn't care for it much. When I went to stamp one of the letters fell off! Looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Before I got my first exposure to SU, I had purchased stamps from TAC. I thought it was a great idea to have the acrylic blocks, because saving space is very important to me. I probably just had an inexperienced demonstrator, but even their catalog did not have as many great ideas as SU. I can tell you that, now, after a couple of years, there are two stamps out of about 50 that I still use. It was difficult to keep the stamps from sticking to the stamp pads, which got messy.

I don't know if that makes them like the CTMH stamps or not. It sure seems like a good idea, but I will stick with SU...they make my work look better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 03:08 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have no personal experience but I have a customer who purchased CTMH alpabets for scrapbooking and was very disappointed...I have a friend who sells it but haven't talked to her about the new catalog yet. I know it sounds a little snobby but I love SU! and all of their stuff so much that I just can't be bothered to think about the other companies too much! Besides I am a demo and would rather buy something that I can use to help my customers get to know our company better...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Acrylic Stamps

Hello! This is my first post! I'm excited about the acrylics because I can see exactly where the image goes. I have no current loyalties to either company. If ink gets on the acrylic it's easy to wipe off. I imagine the storage might be easier. Time will tell, picking up my new CTMH catalog tomorrow!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 05:23 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, this is my first post. I am not a demonstrator and buy stamps and accessories from both CTMH and SU. After getting the new CTMH catalog and studying it, these are my thoughts and opinions.

The new catalog seems to be geared a great deal toward scrapbooking.

CTMH discontinued 23 of their colors and brought in 18 new colors. In addition, they have regrouped their colors. In my opinion, their new color groupings have a better flow and the colors in each group compliment one another very well.

I was disappointed because I feel like most of their new stamp designs have a very similar feel. They seem very retro or ultra modern (I am not sure how to describe it). Many of the stamps also seem to be solid stamp designs. (I am not sure what you call this) In other words, you are stamping the image with one color and does not require or allow for any coloring.

They now have about 30 great alphabet sets. I personally like using the acrylic alphabet sets because you can position your letters on the block, stamp on a scratch piece of paper and reposition the letters if they are not to your liking.

I have a great CTMH demonstrator and can't wait to see what see comes up with.

But having said that, I am anxiously awaiting the new SU catalog and hope that SU continues to bring a great variety of styles to their catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:39 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I got the catalog on Monday & I really like the card & SB ideas. They can easily be adapted to SU sets, paper & our other products. They have added several products that we already carry. I think they have come a long way with their scrapbooking products and the SB ideas are very good. However, being a demo, I am totally focused on SU sets & products because I love the quality & the style of SU. But, it is fun getting new ideas from the other catalog. It does seem to me that CTMH's scrapbooking section is exploding with products and ideas. I saw the clear stamps Monday too, while they probably work fine, but I'm partial to regular rubber stamps. Time will tell on how that move goes for them. JMHO Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I love SU! Almost all my stamps are SU! I am a demo so I try to support myself in this aspect. That being said...I do have stamps from other companies. Not many but a few. I feel like if I like a stamp well enough I will get it. I do cringe tho when I look at prices. The stamp has to really jump out at me b/c I have become so spoiled by SU sets and prices. I too have a CTMH catty (the last one) and I was not all that impressed with what they had. The stamps were very similar to each other. Not much variety. There is one or two I would like to have but I will wait and see what we get in the new catty.

I do classes on the side and am able to use whatever I want. I only use the Classic stamp pads tho as I have not found an ink pad I like more. I love the papers. I have other papers that I have collected but use them more for scraping and various other projects. It is exciting to see what other companies are doing. We all offer something different. Different can be a good thing.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
I have no personal experience but I have a customer who purchased CTMH alpabets for scrapbooking and was very disappointed...I have a friend who sells it but haven't talked to her about the new catalog yet. I know it sounds a little snobby but I love SU! and all of their stuff so much that I just can't be bothered to think about the other companies too much! Besides I am a demo and would rather buy something that I can use to help my customers get to know our company better...
Gosh, it really surprises me that your customer didn't like the acrylic alphabet set! Since we first started selling these, they have been such a huge hit, that's why CTMH decided to go all acrylic. It's my understanding that they have changed manufacturers and are utilizing a new technology. Just from my albeit brief personal use, I am so THRILLED with the change, mostly because of the price difference, but then again, seeing where I'm stamping is most awesome! They are VERY easy and fun to use! For example, you can take one of the larger blocks and place, say 3 small stamps in a triangle and stamp them in one color. Then, leaving those stamps in place, add 3 MORE stamps in another triangle (like a Star of David) and then remove the initial 3 stamps, choose a different color, and stamp in between the other images. Makes random-stamping a b/t paper SO QUICK!!! I'm sure that illustration was just clear as mud! Sorry! I'm sure it's easy to understand the benefits of how the two-step stamps work now that they are acrylic! No more images that aren't lined up! WooHoo!!!

But I understand also your concern with not buying stamps that aren't SU. As a CTMH Consultant, I have to really LOVE the SU set to buy it since I can't demonstrate with it! I love that Etruscan set, and have yet to stamp with it! I just couldn't resist though!

Lisa Stieg
Norman, OK

PS- Thanks Dawn for recommending this group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I just had to make the decision about CTMH vs. SU

when I made the decision to become a demonstrator. CTMH seems geared mostly toward scrapbookers, while SU is more versatile and their products appeared to go either way. I made the decision to use SU because of their matching cardstock, markers, classic pads and the many products they offer.

I'm curious to see the acryllic stamp set though.

I'm sure SU has some great things in store for us and the countdown is on. I can't wait to see the new catty. The support and customer care SU provides I think is hands down better than CTMH, or at least what is available here on a local level. Just my opinion though from what I've experiened locally by the 2 companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:38 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've noticed some folks gravitate strongly to UMs/acrylics or wood. I happen to be a wood mount fan, myself. I'll admit it: I'm lazy. I hate the time it takes to always mount an image onto the block just to use it and then have to take it off to put it away or to use another image, etc.

I do not have storage issues, but can understand why that would be a very strong factor for some stampers!

I bought a few acrylic stamps years ago; I had quite a bit of trouble with them and since, have stayed away from them, for the most part. I have heard that they have made vast improvements since that time in clear stamps, however!

I have not seen or heard yet if clear stamps can be used for multi-layer/impression/deep thermal embossing without causing damage to the image or not. I am curious about this. I also like to velvet emboss and I know good quality red rubber is the recommended stamp for those techniques . . .

I do have a set of Anna Griffin Clear stamps I bought from QVC just a year because I'm such a fan of her style . . . I notice I do not use them much . . . I think it's because I still haven't figured out an easily accessible way to get them out and use them and get them put away for myself . . . it just seems like that much extra work to get them out, slap them onto the block, then take them off the block . . . etc.

I also love the feel of wood mounts--it's a tactile thing for me as I'm working, I guess? I struggle with acrylic mounts just not feeling comfortable in my hand and I'm really not sure why . . .

I am very surprised CTMH went the clear stamp route, and didn't go the route of offering a choice in UM (still regular rubber) or the option to purchase them with the wood mounts, like TAC used to. I dunno if TAC still offers wood mounts--they may have dropped them and gone totally to EZ mount . . .?

Whether they're clear or regular rubber, I don't seem to like UMs . . . I have several small tubs of them I bought years ago when I first started stamping . . . I was trying to be budget concious, in all honesty. However, my UMs mostly sit never used even once. . . so, I guess for me, I wasted my money?

But, I think it's good that there is a variety being offered by companies because everyone has different tastes! I would not be happy if acrylic or UM were my only options as I'm sure others would be unhappy if only wood mount was available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:44 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Hey, Purplewinkle!

I forgot to add that I'm not a purist; if I adore an image, I don't care who makes it, if it comes wood-mounted, it goes into my collection!

I try to control ALL my rubber related expenditures, whether they are biz related or not . . .

I think it would take a lot of the fun out of stamping for me, if I felt I could only use one company's stamps and no others. So, nope! I never feel disloyal or guilty at all if I buy something non-SU!. There's TOO much fun stuff out there!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:34 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Yes, TAC does still offer the choice of WM or UM (according to their new 2004/5 catalog).

I went to the CTMH demo's open house tonight, as planned. I purchased a catalog. I laid eyes and fingers on the new acrylic stamps. They had four features that I liked better than the TAC stamps. (1) They come pre-trimmed (no scissors or cushion cling to mess with) (2) The handles are WAY nicer (3) The storage mechanism shows the stamps in black so you can see what you're looking for (4) They're clear, for positioning & design purposes. I was worried about tearing the clear part at first, but it was really strong!

A few things I thought/noticed after looking at the CTMH catalog:

- The first half is very scrap-heavy.... albums and kits with pre-layed-out paper, stickers, etc.
- They sell single colors of eyelets separately (packs of 100)
- Two *really cool* new embellishment organizers. (Am I in trouble if I buy this?)
- Stamp prices much lower than when they were all wood
- Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard, Police, and Firefighters EACH had a separate stamp set
- BOYS/gender-neutral stamps: Playstation controller, headphones, skateboarding, surfing, guitar

So that's my report from W.K.I.M. News in the Treasure Valley. Good night.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Ooooooh! Great report!

Did you like the SAMPLES themselves in the catalog???? Is everything still laid out at 50% of true image size????

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Julie, Everything in the catolag is still 50% of size!

One question???? I have the new CTMH book, and how do you determine what size acrylic blook you should purchase. I saw they come in many sizes!

I also notice the blocks and stamps have a cool storage unit! How would you order one of those, I didn't see that anywhere in the catty?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

:shock:

Is it possible that that storage system is available only to CTMH demo'rs?

Or, it could be an omission error that they will correct ASAP . . . ask the demo'r--if she's on top of her game, she'll know what's up with that . . .

I have a CTMH demo'r friend in E. WA; I'll have to order the book from her . . . I usually get one every year so I can be aware of what the competition is offering! Heh, heh, heh!

I must admit, tho, I've always admired the artwork/samples and love adapting their ideas to stamps I do have and their color combos always strike me as refreshing--I love that aspect of having their catalog at hand to help me as I'm wretched with color on my own . . . sigh . . .

That 50% size tho, drives me NUTS--there is no way my eye can gauge what I'll really get, just by looking at that and knowing mentally they are half the size . . . I wish they'd quit doing that . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Hi,

I went to the CTMH party last night. Their stamps are less expensive than the wood ones, so now they are about comparable to SU. I do like that they take up less room, and that you do have some flexibility in how you mount them and can rearrange them or even make a straight line into a curve.

It did seem more time consuming, you have to mount each one on a block and then put it back. You have to remember to stamp on top of a cushion.

I didn't order any stamps. To be honest, I am sometimes reisistant to change. I think I will try their special, just to see. If I don't like it I can always trade it!

I do feel bad for the demos, my demo is selling all her wood stamps and half off and starting over. I guess you could gradually switch, but it would be hard to sell acrylic stamps if you were demoing wood ones.

Yes, their images are 50%. I prefer them to be actual size.

I do like some of their images, but they do tend to a certain style. I heard once that all their designs are by Jeanette, but I don't know if that is true.

I actually like CTMH but I LOVE Stampin Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I got the last catty and noticed that most of the designs were very alike. Someone told me that they only have one designer. Don't take my word for it but that would explain why there is such a similarity. I do like some of the scrap kits but would like to be able to buy most of them on a piece by piece basis. I will be ordering the new catty unless I can find a demo that would do a one on one catty trade with me. I give her one of mine and she gives me one of hers.

I too am lazy. I want to mount my stamps once and be done with it. I don't know if I would deal well with remounting each stamp. As someone with very limited stamp space I do like the idea of less room being taken by stamps but that is the price I am willing to pay for my wood mounts. lol

As far as how many and what sizes of blocks to buy...I would think at least one of each size. See which ones you would use the most and maybe get an extra one or two. My opinion of course.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

[quote="StampingSpud"]Yes, TAC does still offer the choice of WM or UM (according to their new 2004/5 catalog).

- Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard, Police, and Firefighters EACH had a separate stamp set
quote]

What is TAC??

That is so funny!! I was just thinking like 10 min ago that SU! needs to come out with better military stamp sets and one for each service would be even better. Then I come here and see that CTMH did! I just found a CTMH consultant on accident through a moms web site. We already agreed to trade cattys when I get mine. I just might have to order a set also if SU! doesn't have any good military ones! Thanks for the heads up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

As far as knowing what size acrylic block to by. My CTMH demo has a transparency with all of the block sizes outlined on it at 50% their size. That way you can lay the transparency over an image in the catalog (which is also shown at 50%) and know exactly which block size you will need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
I do feel bad for the demos, my demo is selling all her wood stamps and half off and starting over.
Ugh! I feel bad for their demos, too! I hope nothing like that ever happens to us!!! Ugh!!!

I'd love to see their catalog--with all this talk about it...

my blog | the hybrid chick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

First of all, let me just say "thank you" to all of you who have shared your opinions (good and bad), but in the most NICEST WAY POSSIBLE. I am a former CTMH demonstrator, and I have been on some "boards" that were sooooo nasty and critical of other direct sell stamping companies that weren't "THEIR OWN", and it was NOT a pretty site!! That's why I love SCS sooooo much, because of the constant integrity, creativity, warmth, and support!

I, too, feel sorry for the CTMH demonstrators who are having a hard time adjusting to the change to acrylics. I'm hoping, however, that the CTMH demonstrator mentioned here would REALLY reconsider her plans to sell all her wood mounted stamps, just to rebuy them in the acrylic format. What I suggested to my former downline, is just purchase the NEW SETS from the catalogue in the new Acrylix (mainly for demonstrating purposes), but still keep the wood mounted sets for personal and business use, i.e. sending cards to customers, friends, etc. I just received the CTMH catalogue myself, and am surprised myself at the COMPLETE switch over to acrylics. I see lots of positives (along with some negatives), and for scrapbookers especially, CTMH has some AWESOME ideas, along with coordinating papers, inkpads, and assessories.

I think what it boils down to for most, is basically just "personal preference." I ADORE Stampin Up,and can't WAIT for the new catalogue to come out!! Honestly......I hope to be a Stampin Up demonstrator someday - now if could just get my student loans paid down - GRRRRR!!

Have a great stampin day and thanks for letting me share - !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

What is TAC that you all are talking about?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:52 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

To follow-up for Tami, TAC stands for "The Angel Company". This is another direct-selling stamping/scrapping company. They sell unmounted stamps, but also allow the option of adding the wood & stickers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:55 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

TAC = The Angel Company (am I right?)

my blog | the hybrid chick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Kim and Nicole. I have heard of The Angel Company before but did not realize it was direct sales. Thanks for filling me in!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Jovi, They had a block organizer on page 197 on the bottom right-hand corner .... right under the cool organizers for embellishments & embellishment tools.

Oh, and I neglected to mention in my report, they have a charitable project, also. They have a stamp set called "Kid Power" on the inside back cover. A portion of the proceeds goes to Operation Kids Foundation.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks Stampingspud!!!! I am off to page 197!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I am not a fan of unmounted stamps for a few reasons. I am too LAZY (and don't have a lot of time) to switch things around etc. I know it is probably not that big of a deal but that is just another step for me. The biggest reason is that I have 2 dogs that shed a lot and a husband who I feel is a lot closer relation to the early apes than the rest of us if you get my drift. Sorry to be gross but in my experience they pick up that kinda stuff. Maybe it was the kind I had, I don't know. Ok, now that I've grossed everyone out I'll go stamp something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I am cracking up reading all these posts! Hopefully I can answer some of the questions that you all seem to have about CTMH! LOL!

First of all, Jeanette (our founder and CEO) was the only artist that we had for years, which to me is totally amazing. However, I think you are dead on when you say that many of the sets were similar in style, so she decided to branch out to offer more variety. I was very happy about that.

Secondly, I know there are a lot of consultants who are selling off their wood mounts to buy acrylics, but this is not something that I thik is necessary at all. Other than they are excited (like me) about the whole storage issues! Someone figured out that if we sell our wood mounts for 50% off, we could then use that money and our 22% discount and break even! I don't think it's necessary to do that with all my stamps.

Regarding the blocks...someone made a cool transparency (as was mentioned in a previous post) that is in a Word format. I'm going to print this out on cardstock, cut out the widows, and print the product # above each window for my customers to use at my demos. If any of you want the Word document, I can email it to you or attach it to a post. Also, all the organizing systems are available to everyone, not just consultants.

Any other questions? I'd love to answer them for you. Am I the lone CTMH Consultant on this board? LOL!

Lisa Stieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi, Lisa! Glad you joined in, I knew you would love it. :lol: Aren't the folks here great? I love all of their advice and ideas. I visit several times a day. I am sure that you are not the only CTMH demo here, but you are welcome either way. Thank you for your input, I personally (as a SU demo) am very excited to try the acrylic stamps. I can only imagine the money I will save on wasted paper that I would normally have to throw out because I stamped my image wrong, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 05:32 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Say it isn't so, you don't really throw that much paper away do you! I have a scrap box that has all kinds of stuff that just didn't turn out right, I dropped the stamp, etc etc. As I always say, there are 2 sides to a piece of paper. Just turn it over and stamp it. So many people flip if they mess up and "need a new piece of paper", not me, just turn it over haha!!! If I mess that side up, I just punch it and it is a stamped background piece! People would be afraid if the saw the backs of some of my projects haha!!
Reply With Quote Likes