Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Copic markers on Overstock

I went to overstock.com and found the copic markers. I want to start purchasing them, as I own none now. I had a few questions, and I am sure they have been asked before.
But which style would be the best for a newbie to them?, but I catch on real fast.
They also have kits of differnt styles and amounts too.
Is the price fair there for kits, and buying them single?
If you could take a peek there and compare for me ( I have no clue how much they go for anywhere), it would help out alot. Was thinnking about asking for a kit or two for Christmas.
The website is overstock.com and it says at the top what can we help you shop for today, just write in either markers or copic and they show up.
Thanks Ladies
Jenny
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Hi Jenny,
OK. I have read tons on Copic--have purchased several hundred $ of them and I will try to help you not make the same mistakes I have. First do not buy sets-everyone advises that--one mistake I did not make as I listened. The best thing to do is go to the Queen of Copics blog and read ---read ---read. You pretty much need to buy three pens for every color you want to do blending and shading. I just read 5 common mistakes newbies make. I will try to find that and add it here--I totally agree with that list.

1. Buying one of each color. Copics are meant for blending, that’s what makes them different than colored pencils and Sharpies. If you buy one red marker, it will appear flat on the paper. Copics are meant to blend in sets of three, it will give your image a three dimensional look. Instead of just buying R35, buy R 32 and R 37 as well and blend them.

2. Not Understanding the Copic “Code”. Those letters and numbers mean something! In the interest of brevity, I won’t go into the detailed explanation. However, if you don’t understand how the letters and numbers work, it’s probable that you won’t get the result you’re looking for. A full resource to cracking the code can be found on my site, HERE.

3. Thinking the Cap Color is how it will look on paper. The makers of Copics, .Too, try to make the caps as close as possible to the ink color. Let’s face it, there’s a difference between how color will appear on paper and how it will appear on plastic. If you’re buying in a store, they should have some scratch paper for you to test on. If you’re buying online, buy in a blend of three to ensure you’ll have beautiful results.

4. Not understanding the difference between marker models. Not every Copic Marker is interchangeable. You cannot use Ciaos and Copic Wides with the Airbrush system. Not all of the nibs on Original Copic Markers will fit on Sketch and Ciaos. Ciaos don’t hold as much ink as Sketch. If you have a hodge podge of markers, you may not have the best results.

5. Not asking about the correct supporting materials. If you’re new to Copics, chances are you haven’t gone through the trial and error of what works well with them. Store owners and certified class teachers have, ask their advice! They’ll tell you right from the start that Stazon ink is NOT compatible with Copic Markers. If you go home with your Copics and color on some copy paper or water color paper, you’re going to have one heck of a mess. Ask for paper suggestions as well! (found this on a blog called "Making our Mark")

Go to this blog and read everything she says!!! A wealth of imformation!!!
I Like Markers.

My last suggestion would be: do not be in a hurry to purchase--learn as much about them as you can before you buy---you will save yourself a ton of money--My fav place to buy is:Oozak.com

I LOVE COPICS!!! Hope this helps and have fun!

Laurie

Last edited by StampinGrams; 09-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: forgot to give credit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for your advice.
But if I found a kit of copic that comes with 3 of one colour as you were suggersting wouldnt that be a good buy?
This is the link to one of those Copic Ciao Markers (Set of 36) | Overstock.com

Is this a good price for 36 copic's?

Or are their indivadual marker prices better?
(I am trying to get a gage on how much I should be spending per marker).
As for trying them, I most likely be buying online, so was wondering what type I should purchase which gives the nicest results in your colouring/shading/highlighting.
I understand some can be used with other items such as airbrush.

So which set would you recomend a beginnger to start out with( keeping in mind I am a quick learner and have a good artistic flair)?

These are some questions I am wondering about.
Thank you I will read the site recomended, just wondering as these markers might move, expesically now that I told you all lol.
Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

from the advice I got on here from anita ( have to look up the rest of name) that is a good buy and I think that they do cover the 3 blending rule...hth I am just starting out as well with them they are costly but fun...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy the sets either; there are a few sights on the internet that have
suggested starter colors, for skin, hair etc to start, and you defintiely need good paper.
I love Gina K for great results.
I would do a study "google search" for starter colors.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Michelle posted on another copic question on this site.
Go down to Michelles' comment and check out her blog,
she has suggestions and nice coverage on her blog.
Pink Copic Marker Combos by fief14 at Splitcoaststampers

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I have two of the 36 count sets. (I forget which "letters" (A, B, C and D) I have.) Since I am just basically starting with them I can blend two colors from the two sets. I got mine from Joanns dot com ($150.00 each), but at the time I bought them Jo's had a 50% off on-line coupon and free shipping on orders over $50.00 so I basically got two sets for $150.00 plus tax. That seems a better price than overstock, but you would just have to bide you time and wait for the Jo's offer again. The overstock price isn't bad tho and I would pay that for one set of 36 if I were ready to purchase more at this time, but I am not. That's my 2 cents!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I would not buy the sets. There are three places that I know of (there may be more) that set copics in small groups (3 or 4 markers) in the same color blend family.

They are Justrite, Papertrey and Flourishes. If I was just starting out I would by just a handful of these groups and see if you like them first.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Hi Jenny, Go to Marianne's blog that I suggest in my first post--She explains everything you need to know--how I wish I had done that. Take a few weeks to learn about the numbering system, the different pen styles, the paper to use--why you need 3 pens to blend, she explains everything except where to buy--I pay $4.15 per for mine--free shipping with an order of $50. I am telling you girl, she will tell you everything you need to know to be a sucessful Copic user. She is the Copic rep for the whole United States. I am only ranting and raving about this as I have wasted so much money buying wrong before I learned/understood how all this works.
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Hi there,

I have to agree with everyone else..I hummed and hawed about the cost of the markers and the sets for two years...I finally jumped in and decided that with all the information that was given to me and of course a great site to shop from that I was going to listen to the experts. I kept looking at the sets..but even some of the sets have dups so really and truly there is no point to getting the sets. Also there will be colors you will not use, so there is money wasted.

I see your from Canada...me too. I did shop around and finally ended up at Oozak.com (4.15 a sketch marker) and ordered from there. I'm on a fixed income so cost for me is a big deal. I now have a copic collection that I like and when I go back and look at the sets with the colors I have, I truly would've ended up spending more and what I'm not going to use rather than using...KWIM..?

Trust me you won't regret it...I have some friends that go to the states once in awhile and I'll place an order for colors that I like but won't use or need right away and get them to bring it back to save on the shipping...or split the shipping cost if we were to place an order together to have it shipped here...

Oozak.com is your best bet

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennypooView Post
Thank you for your advice.
But if I found a kit of copic that comes with 3 of one colour as you were suggersting wouldnt that be a good buy?
This is the link to one of those Copic Ciao Markers (Set of 36) | Overstock.com

Is this a good price for 36 copic's?

Or are their indivadual marker prices better?
(I am trying to get a gage on how much I should be spending per marker).
As for trying them, I most likely be buying online, so was wondering what type I should purchase which gives the nicest results in your colouring/shading/highlighting.
I understand some can be used with other items such as airbrush.

So which set would you recomend a beginnger to start out with( keeping in mind I am a quick learner and have a good artistic flair)?

These are some questions I am wondering about.
Thank you I will read the site recomended, just wondering as these markers might move, expesically now that I told you all lol.
Jenny

Last edited by 2busyscrappin; 09-18-2010 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a good starter set, and these markers are nice even if you won't be able to blend yet.
But I do agree with the others, and get color groups if you want to do shading.

This is what I would do:
Get one of each of the basic colors: red,pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, brown, gray, purple
Choose your favorite shade of these, then get two additional ones in the same color group (2 shades lighter than the one you chose first) . That means you would start out with 18 markers, add a couple markers for skin and you're at 20 markers. You will spend about 100 Dollars but you would be getting a set that you can already do blending with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this thread finally did it for me...I am not going to that much trouble because I am not an artist and no one is keeping my cards around for a lifetime, kwim? I so admire those who can but it just seems to suck the fun out of it when you have to learn so much. I will keep reading what you ladies do and your galleries are great. I can copy but i can't create. I just now have the gamsol thing down!! LOL

I will be checking back to see JennyPoo's creations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Take advantage of all the advice available out here and don't buy a kit. As a person who has artistic flair and catches on real quick, a kit will just frustrate you and you will not get the results that everyone goes crazy over with the Copics.

I didn't buy a kit when I first invested but I did something almost as bad. I bought the Copics that were matches to certain Stampin' Up colors. These were the colors I used the most and thought it would work for me to buy those markers. I attempted to copy a technique where you buy the very, very lightest marker in a color group....one with three or four zeros, and then whatever other marker you like in that group. Using a piece of plastic or acrylic block as a palette you color a swatch of the darker marker, then use that very lightest marker as a "brush" to pick up the color and shade your image that way.

It was MUCH too time consuming for me. I don't have that kind of patience. So I ended up needing to place another order of markers to "fill in" so I could have a group of three to blend with. So much easier!!!

I highly recommend the Flourishes site for getting great ideas on small groups of markers that will blend nicely. Even if you don't buy from them and want to shop around for a cheaper per marker price the information from their site is priceless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Ladies! I agree - do not buy one of the sets... make your own custom set at copicmarkers.com...they will still come with a case and shipping is free. $175.23 for a custom 36 marker set with case is a fair price. I wasted tons of money when I first started out by buying colors I didn't need and don't use when I bought sets. When buying individual markers I also like to buy from oozak.com like some of the previous posters.

Don't forget you must invest in the right ink and paper!!!! without those you will not get good results (ie- Memento Tuxedo Black Ink and Xpress It Cardstock or Paper Trey Ink Cardstock or Gina K Luxury Cardstock or Neenah Classic Crest Solar White)

Thanks Carolyn for mentioning my blog. I have a Copic Faq page on my blog here that gives helpful information that I learned when I was starting out. If you click here you will see a bunch of posts I did with color choice suggestions. Also visit Color Me Copic blog. The ladies over there are some of my favorite stampers and copic users and they have lots of tutorials and their favorite color combos posted on there.
Reply With Quote Likes