Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will Stazon Ink ruin rubber stamps?

I've had a couple of emails today regarding Stazon Ink and rubber stamps. (Weird, huh?) I am a big fan of Stazon ink, especially for non-porous items and anytime I use watercolors.

So, Will Stazon Ink ruin your rubber stamps?

The answer is no.

In fact, It's pretty darn hard to find anything that will ruin a rubber stamp. Rubber is SO unbelievably durable and it's why rubber is the choice for Gina K. Designs stamp sets. Being a lover of stamping techniques, I've swished my rubber stamps through bleach, hot melted embossing powder, and all kind of solvent based inks and stamp cleaners.

Here is a visual for you.

In photo one, I was digging through a box of stamps and found this one that had Stazon ink CAKED on for over 6 months. It was dried to a crisp and hard as a rock.

All I did was grab a little Ultra Clean Stamp Cleaner and spray it on my cleaning pad. Then, I place the stamp on top, rubber side down and let it sit for a few minutes for the Ultra Clean to break down the ink.

Then, scrubbed and dried the stamp and here are the results.

If you are at all worried about stamp cleaner, just wash it with warm soapy water. (I NEVER do that and have NEVER had a problem.)

That is the magic of delicious red rubber! You can't kill it. LOL!

So, I am not sure why I got several emails all at once today about this but I wanted to clear up ANY misconception regarding Stazon, Ultra Clean and Rubber.

Go ahead and beat them up! You can't kill a rubber stamp. ;)

Hugs,
Gina K.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I think I heard angels singing the first time I used it!!!

Truly a stamping miracle. I love these photos. It's like an infomercial except it's real

Tfs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I know! LOL! And it is real!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that cleaner! Glad I am not the only one with caked on stamps, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I know why you have suddenly been hearing this question, Gina. Another well-known stamp store owner/manufacturer posted on another thread in General Stamping Talk that Staz-On ink and Staz-On cleaner will eventually dissolve your photopolymer AND rubber stamps so they don't recommend it.

I was surprised to hear this. IF this is true then it surely must take some time for this to happen because I have old PSX stamps that I haven't touched since the 90's that still have Staz-On caked on them. I cleaned up a couple after reading that post and they stamp just like new. Weird. I've never, ever heard of Staz-On being a problem with red rubber until that post.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #6  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

I have sensitivity to some smells - does this stamp cleaner have any fragrance? Stazon & alcohol inks need to be used with caution in my case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are only 2 things I've ever heard of that will break down rubber:

• Sunlight (as in, storing them in direct sunlight)
  • Oil (as in petroleum based oil, vaseline, etc.)

As for clear photopolymer stamps, I've never heard of Staz-On Ink deteriorating them, but I recall hearing that Staz-On CLEANER will break down the clear stamp.

After I read that somewhere, I decided I wasn't gonna experiment on any of my clear stamps to see if it was true. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiquestamperView Post
I think I know why you have suddenly been hearing this question, Gina. Another well-known stamp store owner/manufacturer posted on another thread in General Stamping Talk that Staz-On ink and Staz-On cleaner will eventually dissolve your photopolymer AND rubber stamps so they don't recommend it.

I was surprised to hear this. IF this is true then it surely must take some time for this to happen because I have old PSX stamps that I haven't touched since the 90's that still have Staz-On caked on them. I cleaned up a couple after reading that post and they stamp just like new. Weird. I've never, ever heard of Staz-On being a problem with red rubber until that post.

Christine
Oh! That explains it! LOL!

I would think if Stazon dissolved rubber stamps, Tsukineko would have pulled it off the market by now. They are a very reputable company with top notch products. I don't know anything about clear stamps so maybe that's what they meant. But no ink pads on the market will hurt rubber stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
I have sensitivity to some smells - does this stamp cleaner have any fragrance? Stazon & alcohol inks need to be used with caution in my case.
If you're referring to Ultra Clean, it does have a mild odor. People often remark that it has an "industrial" type scent (?). But, it does not have "fumes".

I love Ultra Clean--it is the best stamp cleaner I've ever found. But, I use it to remove stubborn or caked on inks. Otherwise, I often use baby wipes or a simply a wet wash cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Yes, it does have a smell. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
If you're referring to Ultra Clean, it does have a mild odor. People often remark that it has an "industrial" type scent (?). But, it does not have "fumes".

I love Ultra Clean--it is the best stamp cleaner I've ever found. But, I use it to remove stubborn or caked on inks. Otherwise, I often use baby wipes or a simply a wet wash cloth.
Oops! Your explanation was much nicer!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Oops! Your explanation was much nicer!
LOL!

So funny! "Smells" are such a subjective thing--I love the smell of Staz-On ink (smells like almond extract to me!) and other peeps look at me in horror.

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

<----(trots off to sniff her her Staz On) You are right, it does smell like almonds! I never could place it... mystery solved, lol!

Quote:

LOL!

So funny! "Smells" are such a subjective thing--I love the smell of Staz-On ink (smells like almond extract to me!) and other peeps look at me in horror.

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Hey, I have never had problem with Stazon cleaner, or Stazon inks, either. I have been using it for all the five years I have been stamping, just as much as the regular Stamp Cleaner and all of my stamps are clean, except once I changed to SU! stamp cleaner, and some of my acrylic stamps are still stained as it did not clean off properly. I no longer use that cleaner. I use a scrub pad and I am really happy with my stamp cleaning routine now.

I am pretty fastidious about cleaning my stamps right after I use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I know! LOL! And it is real!
I can testify to that! I found one of my sets that sat for probably a year...used ultra clean and it looks brand new! Best stuff on the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #16  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Do the ingredients (not sure if it's oil or what that's in them) bother the inking ability after having been cleaned with them? I was thinking that maybe the inks wouldn't "grab" as well. Probably not making any sense to anyone but myself but hope someone can decipher what I'm trying to ask - lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #17  

Quote:

LOL!

*chuckle*

This cracks me up - I LOVE that almond smell too!! I don't use permanent ink very often, but I do like a good whiff of Stazon every now and then
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

As for clear photopolymer stamps, I've never heard of Staz-On Ink deteriorating them, but I recall hearing that Staz-On CLEANER will break down the clear stamp.
It actually will kill your clear stamps if you leave it on there for a period of time. Such as when I left Stazon Black on some CTMH stamps for about a year. I think theirs are photopolymer. I'd used the stamps to stamp a return address on my wedding invites and put them away (still on the block) without cleaning. I know, bad stamper! A year later, they were brittle and fell apart when I tried to remove them from the block. However, I've used Stazon many times with other photopolymer stamps with no issues. I've even used Stazon cleaner on them, without issue, though I always rinse them with water after just in case.

Thanks Gina for the tutorial on cleaning. I love that you included pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

so, are baby wipes harmful to rubber stamps?

i know some people who have been stamping for 20 years and still use some of their old stamps all the time. what did they use before someone came up with special cleaner just for stamps? probably soap and water.

i use cheap baby wipes because i dont like that ugly stamp cleaning pad. will i ruin my stamps (clear and rubber) over time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Do the ingredients (not sure if it's oil or what that's in them) bother the inking ability after having been cleaned with them? I was thinking that maybe the inks wouldn't "grab" as well. Probably not making any sense to anyone but myself but hope someone can decipher what I'm trying to ask - lol.
I haven't had a problem, but I also tend to clean it with a baby wipe or my SU spray after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the photos using ultra clean. I've been using the Staz-On cleaner but it doesn't get everything off, I'm going to switch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Ultra Clean can leave a bit of an oily-looking residue if you don't really rub it off on the dry side of your cleaning pad or wipe it with a baby wipe, old wash cloth or old towel after you've cleaned the stamp. That being said, I don't always do that and the Ultra Clean hasn't broken down the rubber at all.

Interesting info about clear stamps and the Stazon ruining them. But you can rest assured that that wouldn't happen to rubber stamps. I found an old box of rubber stamps that my grandfather left after he passed away. They must have had ink on them for 50 years! They were so hard and crusty. Ultra Clean cleaned them up like new. (So now I have some nice old business stamps that I probably will never use but it's fun have that piece of the past.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #23  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry, I was referring to the baby wipes when asking if they leave an oily residue. Not knowing what the ingredients are, I just figured the baby wipes must have some softener to make the baby's bottom not chaffe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, I was referring to the baby wipes when asking if they leave an oily residue. Not knowing what the ingredients are, I just figured the baby wipes must have some softener to make the baby's bottom not chaffe.
Baby wipes don't leave an oily residue. Sometimes when they are fresher they have more moisture, and in that case I usually wipe the stamp over a dry scrubbing pad. But from everything I've read it's important to use alcohol-free wipes.
Love the smell of StazOn, and yes it is almond for sure. DH hates it and always comments if I use it when he's around.
Hate the smell of Ultra-Clean - and the oily feel, yuck - but it's certainly the biz for any stamps needing a bit of extra TLC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I was at a stamp show a few years ago, and while watching a demo, someone asked if baby wipes were okay to clean stamps. The person doing the demo stated that baby wipes leave a residue on rubber stamps that will eventually impact the ability of the stamp to hold ink well. I promptly stopped using baby wipes to clean my stamps, but never did any further research to the credibility of this claim. The person making that claim was the owner of a well known stamp company....just wish I could remember the person's name and which company.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Ultra Clean can leave a bit of an oily-looking residue if you don't really rub it off on the dry side of your cleaning pad or wipe it with a baby wipe, old wash cloth or old towel after you've cleaned the stamp. That being said, I don't always do that and the Ultra Clean hasn't broken down the rubber at all.

Interesting info about clear stamps and the Stazon ruining them. But you can rest assured that that wouldn't happen to rubber stamps. I found an old box of rubber stamps that my grandfather left after he passed away. They must have had ink on them for 50 years! They were so hard and crusty. Ultra Clean cleaned them up like new. (So now I have some nice old business stamps that I probably will never use but it's fun have that piece of the past.)
I asked the folks at Stewart Superior if there was any oil content in the cleaner, and they told me no.

I think the residue is actually glycerin. This is just an educated guess on my part. ;) I could be totally wrong, of course! They weren't going to reveal, naturally, precisely what is in their top secret formula, but glycerin is a lubricant and does help keep the rubber stamp conditioned and supple.

The Versamark (clear) pad (as do other embossing, "resist" and pigment ink pads) has glycerin as part of its formula. It's the ingredient that keeps the ink sticky long enough to add embossing powder for thermal embossing purposes. And, many have found that if they ink up their stamp with Versamark and let it sit for a while, then clean off the stamp, a lot of staining will be lifted from the stamp and the rubber can become more supple and like new again.

So, that's why I am guessing that what seems like an oily residue is actually glycerin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygalView Post
I was at a stamp show a few years ago, and while watching a demo, someone asked if baby wipes were okay to clean stamps. The person doing the demo stated that baby wipes leave a residue on rubber stamps that will eventually impact the ability of the stamp to hold ink well. I promptly stopped using baby wipes to clean my stamps, but never did any further research to the credibility of this claim. The person making that claim was the owner of a well known stamp company....just wish I could remember the person's name and which company.
I wonder if they were referring to the lanolin content that is in some baby wipes . . . it does have an oily residue but does not break down rubber. However, it can "weather proof" it, which would cause the stamp to repel ink.

Interesting . . . !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #28  

Professor HRR ROCKS the hizzouse.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have yet to find anything that will ruin a rubber tstamp! (Although I guess there are lots of things I haven't tried!) thanks for all the info!
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post

*chuckle* Don't say that! :shock: I don't know squat about science stuff! Where's Sci-girl? She knows the science stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

LOL!

*chuckle*
So weird thing about Stazon's smell. It does smell like almonds. A few years ago I went though a wierd period where I was having siezures. (Somehow pregnancy related, super weird, went away all is well now) With the siezures I'd have the sensation of "smelling" almonds before I'd seize. So to this day the smell of stazon is unsettling to me. I still use it because it's AWESOME for so many projects, but the smell used to be neutral to me and now it's definately not neutral.

On topic: I love Ultra Clean, I also mostly use a baby wipe (heaven knows i have plenty of them around here) but when somethig is really gunky I bust out the Ultra Clean and it always works. I use it on both my clear and my rubber. No issues here. I don't use the stazon cleaner at all anymore.

I have bought stamps used that were really stained. I didn't mind, got a great deal. But then I just scrubbed them with my ultraclean and they are totally like new. (not the wood, but the rubber at least)

One thing is that my ultra clean has changed colors a few times. I can't remember what color it started as but it has been pink, blue and purple. The same bottle. I did get the largest bottle Gina sells, so I've had it for ages. My point is that although the color has changed it still works exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Very helpful information JulieHRR and Gina K.

Does the Ultra Clean work with Ranger Archival inks? I'm having trouble getting it off of red rubber, but surprisingly the archival ink comes right off of the clear stamps.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I wonder if they were referring to the lanolin content that is in some baby wipes . . . it does have an oily residue but does not break down rubber. However, it can "weather proof" it, which would cause the stamp to repel ink.

Interesting . . . !

Sounds like a very good educated guess to me! The repelling of ink is precisely what she was referring to when she said the residue build up would cause the rubber to not hold ink well.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post

LOL!! OMG...you needed a "spew alert" with that one, Lydia!

Very informative thread tho. I never think about these things, I just clean my stamps after I am done with them and before putting away so I dont have to worry. Good to know that Ultra Clean works so well. I bought some on my last GinaK order and I like it so far! Now if I can just get around to using all those beautiful new stamps I bought! Why oh why do I have to own all the new stamps but dont have time to use them for months. Sheesh....can someone explain that "phenomenon" to me?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post
Very helpful information JulieHRR and Gina K.

Does the Ultra Clean work with Ranger Archival inks? I'm having trouble getting it off of red rubber, but surprisingly the archival ink comes right off of the clear stamps.

Thanks!
I bet it would work. It's pretty amazing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

There are only 2 things I've ever heard of that will break down rubber:
  • Sunlight (as in, storing them in direct sunlight)
  • Oil (as in petroleum based oil, vaseline, etc.)
:p
I'd like to add a third...a toddler's teeth! Tuffy grabbed and took a chomp out of my Snow Gent stamp before he ever even saw ink! Now I have to fill in the lines with a fine tip pen. That kid....It's almost as if he requires a minimum amount of supervision or something. :rolleyes:

I agree that Staz-on smells deelish and ultraclean is the best cleaner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #37  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

LOL!

*chuckle*
I like the almond smell of StazOn also! And have also gotten some strange looks!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #38  

I just opened my new Sharpie pen and guess what?? Same yummy almond smell!!

*enabler*

It is this pen

Sharpie� | Sharpie Pen Grip - Fine Point
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

OK living in Canada and where do I get this ultra clean. I just brought some stamp cleaner call Grandma's secret rubber stamp cleaner. Try it and though so-so,so I need to google the site, has anyone else use it, and with what results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

When I saw this thread I was concerned so I contacted Tsukineko. I figured the actual manufacturer of Stazon would know whether there is a problem with Stazon ruining clear stamps, right. In addition, we have a long standing relationship with Tsukineko. Our stamps have been used by Tsukineko in their tradeshow booth. We have used Tsukineko ink in our classes and sold it in our booth. We specifically talk about Stazon in every class we teach. Given all that, I figured it was important that we know whether there are any issues with Stazon and photopolymer clear stamps. Here is what Luis Rodriguez from Tsukineko had to say:
  1. Tsukineko has tested Stazon on both rubber and clear stamps. During the tests, they did not see any evidence that Stazon ruins clear stamps made from high-quality photopolymer.
  2. Stazon is a solvent-based ink that is specifically designed to work well on non-porous surfaces. Tsukineko and a number of other companies make ink (including waterproof ink that works well for coloring) that is more appropriate for use on paper and other porous surfaces.
  3. Because of the solvent in Stazon, it is best for both rubber and clear stamps to be thoroughly cleaned after they have been used with Stazon. Tsukineko would not recommend leaving Stazon on either rubber or clear stamps for extended periods of time.
  4. Because the solvent is a chemical, Tsukineko does not recommend deliberately sniffing Stazon. The almond scent is added to mask the smell of the solvent.
I�d also like to add some information based on my personal experience. Over 9 years ago, when we made the very first Technique Tuesday stamp sets, we made them in both rubber and photopolymer clear stamps. I still have those stamp sets and have used them with Stazon and many other types of ink, bleach, embossing powder, super hot UTEE, melted shrink plastic, hot fun foam, paper clay, and other weird substances. After 9 years, I don't see any signs of either the rubber or photopolymer-based clear stamps deteriorating. However, I have seen clear stamps that were made in Taiwan and China from silicon or molded vinyl have problems. I know that both clear stamps and rubber stamps made in Taiwan and China are less expensive but tend to not be as well made.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion about Stazon. My best advice is to buy rubber and clear stamps that are made in the USA and that are made by companies who back the stamps with good customer service. And if you have rubber stamps or photopolymer clear stamps and use them with Stazon, both Tsukineko and I recommend that you clean them thoroughly with a good cleaner like UltraClean or Technique Tuesday Stamp Cleaner! You can buy Ultra Clean on the Gina K website and Technique Tuesday Stamp Cleaner on our website.

Bev
Reply With Quote Likes