Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Craft room ideas

Hello everyone! Well, my hubby told me last night that he was up for removing the carpet from my craft room floor and putting hard wood in instead. He also said he'd put in new shelves, a table or what ever else that I wanted. I hope he's feeling ok...Does anyone have any GREAT ideas that they used in their space that they just can't live without? I'd love your feed back.

Thanks and God Bless,
Milo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Personally for me I LOVE my table. It is from Ikea and has a 'rack' under the glass. I hold my cutters, powder pals, heat gun on it. If I am casing or trying something with directions I can put them right underneath the glass so they are still handy but not in the way. The glass is also so easy to wipe if you make a mess (glue, ink, etc). It's not a huge table for several people to work on but can easily accomidate 2 or 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Craft room ideas-dsc04296-small-.jpg   Craft room ideas-dsc04297-small-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Craft Room necessities

I think that there are 4 necessities: storage for stamp sets, paper, ink pads, and embellishments. There are many companies out there and I am not sure that one company does it all. Customizable units are more versatile

I am still in the dream stage, but have done a lot of web searching. I have heard wonderful things about the storage units from Organize More Surely there are folks on SCS who have used this company and find it satisfactory. I like that the units can be hung on the wall and don't clutter the desk.

I know identicaltriplets loves the Scrap 'n Cube. Solid wood modular storage units!! Pricey, but wonderful nevertheless.

After looking and looking online I found what I want: BEST This is the gallery. I liked the versatility and the desk comes without drawers and I can pick and choose what size I needed. I have not purchased it yet, but I am closer than I was 2 years ago.

I went to an estate sale and found 4 bookcases and an apothecary unit. Cost about $140. I am not sure if I am going to use these instead of the other organizers or in addition to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love that table idea -- I want one!

/p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnut52View Post
I know identicaltriplets loves the Scrap 'n Cube. Solid wood modular storage units!! Pricey, but wonderful nevertheless.
Thanks for mentioning my unit. And yes, they can be pricey but you can also get them "over time." You don't have to buy it all at once. I LOVE this unit and it still looks brand new after 5 years! I have never regretted my purchase, and if I had to do it all over again, I would buy this SAME unit. It is AMAZING, and very easily customizable! Love, love, love my Scrap 'n Cube. You can see more details here. My other favorite pieces are my Stampin' Things units for ink, Stickles, Copics, etc.

Craft room ideas-deskarea1a.jpg Craft room ideas-img_9112a.jpg Craft room ideas-img_9108a.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, and one more thing about the Scrap 'n Cube, it can be rearranged, moved, etc., VERY easily! That's why hubby and I went with this instead of built in units. I just moved to a new craft room earlier this year after being in another room for 4 years. Super easy, and when we move out of this house, it will be easy to take with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had hardwood installed. I think it will make a huge difference!! I also painted the walls and am ready to start arranging my room. I think one of the best things I have is a file cabinet for my paper. I love that each color is in its own folder and they are lined up alphabetically. I have all my 8 1/2 x 11 (almost 100% SU) divided up into 2 drawers. It is easy to find and stays clean. The drawers are on the bottom of my hutch that is part of my desk set. I have to admit, I like my stuff to look pretty more than functional, but that is just me personally.

I also love my desk. I did have a piece of glass cut to put on top and clean up is a breeze as Shayles pointed out. My desk is huge and has 2 side drawers that hold my glue and tape and single markers. It is also solid wood, and I have to agree with identicaltriplets (love your room by the way) that the money was worth it. But I have also learned that not everything has to be pricey to be good. I have a few jetmax cubes that are really useful.

I know this is long, but I am excited because I am basically redoing my craft room too. My husband shares it with me so we have to really use our space wisely. Before I used to just buy stuff without thinking it through and sort of stuffed it in. Now we are being "smart" and are going to set things up slowly to see what works. I have been scouring SCS for ideas and found some awsome ones!!

I am also considering the Ikea Expedit system. I have seen it used in many spaces and love it. I have a smaller version I bought and Target and that really worked for me, but the spaces are too small to hold 12 x12 paper, which is the only thing I can't find a good home for.

So my advice is measure and plan. Think of what you want to store and where you want to put it depending on how you will use it.

I will post before and after pics when we finish!

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Smile Thanks!

Your ideas were great! That's cool that we're both in the same position. I agree with measuring and all. I think the glass on the desk/work top area is a wonderful idea. I will check out the Ikea systems (store about 1.5 hours away) and the other one mentioned. I am always trying to rework my room and that is the problem! If it was in good shape already, I could be working instead of going through everything again. I am actually attending my first craft/fall festival and I am going through all of my stamps (etc.) so that I can take what I don't want and try to sell them. So, the cleaning and purging ideas I've seen on SC are always an excellent idea.

Thanks for your ideas and good luck with your room too. As soon as I figure out how to get my pictures on here I'll add some too.

God Bless!,
Milo (or Pam)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am hoping to get back into my craft room and finally get it organized. I like the idea of the glass on the desk top, I'll have to look into it. I have an old cupboard type pantry in there I am going to try to create my own "workbox" out of as I already have a desk. I am hoping I can figure out paper storage as my wonderful avatar loves to chew paper of any kind. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I like your pantry/cupboard idea. I've seen that in a magazine or two and you can usually fit a lot in them. Is Avatar the cat on your photo? I have a jack russell/fox terrier and a fox terrier. The Fox terrier steals paper and scraps out of my trash in my craft room all the time. She also digs through my friends scrap/stamping bags when they come over. -Gotta love our pets!

Thanks for the idea,
Milo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by miloView Post
Hello everyone! Well, my hubby told me last night that he was up for removing the carpet from my craft room floor and putting hard wood in instead. He also said he'd put in new shelves, a table or what ever else that I wanted. I hope he's feeling ok...Does anyone have any GREAT ideas that they used in their space that they just can't live without? I'd love your feed back.

Thanks and God Bless,
Milo
Take my advice: use wood laminate. If you have a roll around chair, even one with so called "safe for hardwood floors" rollers, you will take the finish off the floor. I have my space in our formal dining room which we never used. It has Bruce hardwood. There's no damage to the wood, but where I move around the most, the polyurethane finish is worn. Wood laminate looks just as good, is the same price or cheaper, and will not scratch.

Mary
Primitive Seasons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by miloView Post
I like your pantry/cupboard idea. I've seen that in a magazine or two and you can usually fit a lot in them. Is Avatar the cat on your photo? I have a jack russell/fox terrier and a fox terrier. The Fox terrier steals paper and scraps out of my trash in my craft room all the time. She also digs through my friends scrap/stamping bags when they come over. -Gotta love our pets!

Thanks for the idea,
Milo
Avatar is usually the name given to your profile picture;), the cat's name is Freyr and he loves paper, any paper. His sister loves plastic, she doesn't eat it but licks it or and plays with it or in it. Freyr even gets into the recycling. One of these times I am going to try a distress card using Freyr as the distressing tool ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I have a glass top desk from Ikea. I really love it. Clean up is a breeze. I also have hardwood floors (not laminate) and they are not hurt at all by my rolling chair. Mine were installed "raw" and finished in place so maybe that's the difference.

Any way , you can see it all here on my blog. Tinkering with Ink; Engineering Creativity: My creative studio....

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by primitiveseasonsView Post
Take my advice: use wood laminate. If you have a roll around chair, even one with so called "safe for hardwood floors" rollers, you will take the finish off the floor. I have my space in our formal dining room which we never used. It has Bruce hardwood. There's no damage to the wood, but where I move around the most, the polyurethane finish is worn. Wood laminate looks just as good, is the same price or cheaper, and will not scratch.

Mary
Primitive Seasons
I have to weigh in on this.... I have hardwood in my stamp room which is also my class room and in the corner is my hubby's desk. We got the expensive wheels that are safe for hardwood and we also put felt pads on the bottoms of everything that gets dragged across the floor. We had the hardwood installed almost 4 years ago and this is my most used room in the house. I do not have any scratch or wear marks anywhere on the floor. Trust me when I tell you I check it often too!

We made sure we told the company doing the hardwood what the room would be used for and that we would be using lots of rolling chairs on it, so they used a 'harder, thicker, longer lasting' finish on the hardwood. They told us it would last about 8-10 years minimum, but usually lasts about 15. Mine was also site finished, raw wood was installed and finished after.

I personally hate laminate and I can feel the difference since I almost never wear socks. What is basically comes down to is what you prefer, and if you like hardwood make sure you let your hardwood guys know the abuse your floor will get and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnut52View Post
I think that there are 4 necessities: storage for stamp sets, paper, ink pads, and embellishments. There are many companies out there and I am not sure that one company does it all. Customizable units are more versatile

I am still in the dream stage, but have done a lot of web searching. I have heard wonderful things about the storage units from Organize More Surely there are folks on SCS who have used this company and find it satisfactory. I like that the units can be hung on the wall and don't clutter the desk.

After looking and looking online I found what I want: BEST This is the gallery. I liked the versatility and the desk comes without drawers and I can pick and choose what size I needed. I have not purchased it yet, but I am closer than I was 2 years ago.

I went to an estate sale and found 4 bookcases and an apothecary unit. Cost about $140. I am not sure if I am going to use these instead of the other organizers or in addition to.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my BEST CRAFT ORGANIZER DESK!!! It is wonderful. Big and sturdy. I got the 2inch drawers on both sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

As far as a glass top, I use a 12x12 glass cutting mat from EK Success. That way I can work on it and not cover my entire table top in glass. LOVE it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I got an IKEA table that is square, but then each side pulls out (from under the table top) to expand to almost twice the length. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have the sides in, but can pull it out should I have company stampin' with me! Its black so it does not show any spills, etc, and is made of wood so it give crisp stamped images. (heard some bad things about banquet type tables and "bounce"). Have fun arranging and setting up your new place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several things I love about my room and somethings that didn't work as well as I thought.

Love my workstation made from a counter top from a closed LSS. I combined it with JetMax cubes so I have a U-shpaed work area. Everything I need on a regular basis is within arms reach.

Love my Organizemore shelving and if you need a special size Michael will make it for you.

Love adjustable shelving - I love the look of cabinets with doors but it's not functional for me. I have to see it to use it.

JetMax cubes - I have not had any problem with not holding up even thoug they are not wood.

Display dynamics 12x12 paper racks

Ikea rails for punches

Not so much love -

Best drawers. I only have one and use it alot but the drawer guides are plastic and they break afterawhile and the shipping is awful. I had planned to use them for all my drawer storage until I realized I'd be replacing the drawer guildes every year or so.

Jetmax 12x12 hangiing file cube

There are a ton of pics in my stamproom redo gallery and there are explanations in the pics that may be of help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I have several things I love about my room and somethings that didn't work as well as I thought.

Love my Organizemore shelving and if you need a special size Michael will make it for you.
Who is this Michael guy and what's his number? Does he hang stuff on the wall? I need someone with a stud finder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
Who is this Michael guy and what's his number? Does he hang stuff on the wall? I need someone with a stud finder.
Funny - I don't think the owner of organizemore makes house calls and I bet there are several women out there that could use a good stud finder!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Weighing in on the wood/laminate debate...I have laminate through my whole house. It was a good quality domestic grade, fireresistant and all that but it chips as well as scratching.

Scratching happens with grit on anything that slides but I haven't noticed a problem with DD's rolling chair. The chips and cuts really get to me. A dropped knife, a pottery bowl, even a dropped log going to the fireplace. :(

I'd go for hardwood with PU if I had the funds and at least it can be resurfaced if needs be. You can also consider Tung Oil dressing instead of PU.

That said, the laminate is 12 years old and most people don't notice the marks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
Ditto LOL

gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had Bruce Maple Hardwood floors put down. I put coaster slides on the bottom of our rolling chairs. I found them at the Home Depot. So far, so good, but it has only been a week.
I had two types of laminate, and I have to say I love the look and durablitly of hardwood much more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaylesView Post
Personally for me I LOVE my table. It is from Ikea and has a 'rack' under the glass. I hold my cutters, powder pals, heat gun on it. If I am casing or trying something with directions I can put them right underneath the glass so they are still handy but not in the way. The glass is also so easy to wipe if you make a mess (glue, ink, etc). It's not a huge table for several people to work on but can easily accomidate 2 or 3.
Where did you get your ink pad storage system? That is great. I need something better than what I have (Stampin Up).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1958View Post
Where did you get your ink pad storage system? That is great. I need something better than what I have (Stampin Up).
A lady on the forum named Karen Made this

After seeing how good it looks, I'm going to give making my own a try. Perhaps it would work for you? Instructions here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

OMG!!!!!! I love this. Now were did you get the trays that the dauber and refills are in. I'm going to put my husband to work. He'll love that :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

where did she get the plastic drawer thing she has the ink refills in and the sponge dabbers in???? Kindly

Please PM me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

You would need to PM her - Must have taken me 20 minutes to find her :oops:

kstamper - her page is here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

KoffeeKat Thank You so much for the info. I hope Micheals is open today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

It is from Ikea and has a 'rack' under the glass. I hold my cutters, powder pals, heat gun on it. If I am casing or trying something with directions I can put them right underneath the glass so they are still handy but not in the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

My hubby told me last night that he was up for removing the carpet from my craft room floor and putting hard wood in instead. He also said he'd put in new shelves, a table or what ever else that I wanted. I hope he's feeling ok...Does anyone have any GREAT ideas that they used in their space that they just can't live without? I'd love your feed back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I am at a stall in re -re-re-working my studio...
any genius ideas to get me exited again?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just redid some of my storage. I had several cheap bookcases from IKEA and I upgraded to JetMax cubes from Michael's since they were 1/2 off this week. Pics are on my blog if you want to take a peek. I used the 4 drawer cube for my ribbon storage and I love it!!

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes