Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #1  
ch
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stamp room purge!

I did it...a major stamp room purge. Goodwill will be happy with my donation. I ripped stamp sets apart. I donated sayings like 'Live With Passion'. I put all the 'thanks' stamps in a drawer. All my birthday sets and sayings are together. I threw away clam shell boxes!! I have a drawer full of darling baby stamps and sayings. I no longer have to remember what stamp set 'think pink' is in--it is in the baby drawer.
I now have fewer stamps but I think I may just stamp more. It feels good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did this in March and I LOVE IT!!! But, I did label the sU sets like this---say you have a set with four stamps.

I placed that in a spreadsheet and label it say for example Pocket Sillouettes (sic I know) would be A 4...then each stamp is A 1/4, A 2/4, A 3/4, A 4/4...the next would be labeled B.

Then I have all the floral together, phrases, sentiments, single words, Christmas...and so on in 12 drawers in the cabinets.

If I had to pull a set together...I could! I love my new craft room and I can't wait to be done bridal sewing for my daughter so I can make the drapes!

I am up to NN...so I think I have all things covered and I am done buying stamps...unless they are really cute and on clearance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I need to do the same for my stamps but before that I need to really sit down and look at how I can put existing space to most efficient use. Might have to remove some stamps from the wooden block. Don't understand why some manufacturers like to use a huge piece of wood for a small sentiment. What a waste.

Does anyone has suggestion as to what I can do with the wooden block after removing the rubber and cushion from it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

You could glue a makeup sponge to one and make an "inspired by Tim Holtz" blending tool
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Good for you. I did this recently. A couple of stamp sets and dies are set aside to sell on ebay. For the remaining things (paper, no-name stamps, markers, embellishments) I donated half my stuff to my local library to use with their teen scrapbooking nights and kids story time projects, and the other half will go to the art department of the local elementary school when they open next month. I realized that I had decided to get rid of a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff - a lot of which I never even used. Although it kind of "stings" to think about that I'm glad it's going to someplace that will actually get some use out of it. And it's not cluttering up my craft room anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Doesnt it feel wonderful!!!

I did this too!!! I finally just had to get rid of some of the stamps I will never use again. I also had to throw away my very first markers and ink pads.

But my room is now organized and a pleasant place to be. When I am done stamping for the day its easy to put things away because everything has a nice place to be!

This is how I store my ribbons, tools, embellisments etc. My stamps are in a cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Stamp room purge!-myroom1.jpg   Stamp room purge!-myroom3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #7  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post

I did this too!!! I finally just had to get rid of some of the stamps I will never use again. I also had to throw away my very first markers and ink pads.

But my room is now organized and a pleasant place to be. When I am done stamping for the day its easy to put things away because everything has a nice place to be!

This is how I store my ribbons, tools, embellisments etc. My stamps are in a cupboard.
Wow, it looks so inviting. Sometimes less really is more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #8  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
Good for you. I did this recently. A couple of stamp sets and dies are set aside to sell on ebay. For the remaining things (paper, no-name stamps, markers, embellishments) I donated half my stuff to my local library to use with their teen scrapbooking nights and kids story time projects, and the other half will go to the art department of the local elementary school when they open next month. I realized that I had decided to get rid of a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff - a lot of which I never even used. Although it kind of "stings" to think about that I'm glad it's going to someplace that will actually get some use out of it. And it's not cluttering up my craft room anymore.
Good for you. I'm sure the art center and library will be very happy with the donation. I felt guilty about getting rid of so much good product. But it is a hobby, and hobbies cost money. I just consider it like a few/many rounds of golf, or a trip to Alaska fishing or a new mountain bike. I enjoyed them, they filled a purpose in my life it is ok to move on. I have an orderly stamp room, stamps I love and a new excitement for this hobby!
Life is good, my stamping space is clean enough to enjoy stamping with my 6 year old granddaughter. We will have fun together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you still have the clamshells - post the in the B/S/T forum for sale as someone is always looking to buy extras. I do and use them for storage of ebellishments, ribbon and many other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I'm getting ready to do this too, wondered if you had 7 desk drawers what you would prioritize to keep in them. Going to clean them out and start fresh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Good for you! I need to follow your excellent example!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #12  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLizzyView Post
I'm getting ready to do this too, wondered if you had 7 desk drawers what you would prioritize to keep in them. Going to clean them out and start fresh!
So far my drawers are:
Birthday images
Birthday words/quotes
Thank You
Baby images and words
Valentine, love, marriage stamps/quotes
Sympathy/thinking of you quotes

I still have piles of nature, flowers, kids--it is a work in progress but I am happy with what I have done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #13  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Wow! Good for you! I need to follow your excellent example!
I am trying to get to a point where I can stamp beautiful CAS cards like you! Love your style and blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Subscribing to this thread. In the fall, I'm going to organize my stamps. Everyone here has posted great tips.

To peebsmama - I understand the guilt issue. But I figure the guilt of giving things away is lighter than the guilt of hanging onto unused stuff and looking at it everyday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

You are sooooo smart. I have a bag of stamps for Good Will. Now I can take the stamps off the blocks and use them for my unmounted. Good thinking. TFS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Default purge

We periodically go through our closets and get rid of things that are no longer our style, size (cough), worn, torn, or just plain OVER, so why do I sometimes have a problem getting rid of stamps I no longer use or like? i guess it's the money thing. I have several storage boxes of stamps and other supplies that are waiting for me to list them on the B/S/T forum. I recently sold 6 PTI sets that I just didn't use, so that's a start, I suppose. It sure felt good!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #17  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
We periodically go through our closets and get rid of things that are no longer our style, size (cough), worn, torn, or just plain OVER, so why do I sometimes have a problem getting rid of stamps I no longer use or like? i guess it's the money thing. I have several storage boxes of stamps and other supplies that are waiting for me to list them on the B/S/T forum. I recently sold 6 PTI sets that I just didn't use, so that's a start, I suppose. It sure felt good!

Jutta
I sold some of my sets on the BST forum, but I'm lazy so it is all going to Goodwill. I just smile and hope that some lucky Goodwill shopper gets a great deal! It is just a small donation on my part. Now, back to my cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good for you!!! Feels good, doesn't it? Now reward yourself with some stamping!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #19  
LYP
Rubber Obsessor

I am in the process of going thru my room. I feel SO fortunate to have a whole room dedicated to stamping/scrapping, but had stuff everywhere (it is a small room) and it made it hard to work. I am an SU demo, so when the color renovation came, it made it easier to "have" to go thru everything. I started with my paper storage, which is on one wall, and have gone thru my stamp set bookcase and part of my drawer "cube" units on another wall. I went thru boxes that were stored on the shelf in the closet and (I can't believe I am admitting this) found some baby clothes from my kids--my youngest is 26! I washed them and sent them to Goodwill! My husband and I have decided that if we go through all our closets and purge everything we don't use, we will have a LOT more room!

The theory I am using is that I have all the storage I can put in the room, so I am keeping what will fit and selling or giving the rest away. I am going to put out all of my "rejects" and mark things cheap so some of my customers who have a hard time financially can get some of it, then start down my list of teachers and librarians to see if they want any of it. I am also being kind to myself and labeling everything, so it is taking a lot of time. When I went through my stamp sets I looked up the price I paid for them, so that if, and when, I sell them, I can take a % off and be done with it. I am also labeling new stamp sets better as I buy them. I label the three sides of the clam box with the name of the stamp set so that I can see what I have without having to turn it to see the tiny label on the front. I also am labeling drawers and bins with small tags. Since my furniture is white, I am using bright colors for the labels and it adds a splash of color that looks good. I also have labeled my paper bins so that if I have the only package of paper out of its bin I can tell where it went. I found some Post-it Note labels and can be easily removed without messing up the furniture and used those to label the paper bins. Since SU's color renovation, it was hard for me to remember what went where, anyway (I have my colors in family groups). I still have a ways to go, but I can find stuff easier and that makes using it more fun!

My system may not work for you, but the important thing is to get a system that does work for you. I know what I use most, and try to put it where I can easily reach it from my desk. By having a specific place (marked) for specific items, it makes putting them away easier as well. I found a bin to hold my paper trimmer and my ATG gun, so that they don't have to stay on my desk all the time. Little things like that have made a big difference in my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Love your scrap room where did you get the storage for your stamps Very interesting
Jussie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Isn't it a satisfying feeling when you FINALLY do something that has been in
your head for ages? I have a very small craft room with limited space, so I finally (after thinking and thinking about for a LOOONG time!) unmounted almost ALL of my mounted stamps! My best friend is the new glue from Aleene's "Tack it over and over". What used to take up an unbelievable amount of space (boxes and boxes and boxes) now is confined to 3 large notebooks - one specifically for sentiments and two for everything else. Believe me, I have tried everything to organize my stamps, and I couldn't be happier with this decision. I also find myself using stamps I haven't used in ages, all because I didn't have the energy to grab "the box on the very bottom". I feel like I have a ton of new stamps! It's the best!:grin:
God Bless,
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

While getting rid of some stamps I never use I realized that I also had to do some renovation of the binder that I keep all my stamp images in. Some of my catagories I felt were too broad so I narrowed them down, and new catagories were added. At the end I was very satisfied with the results as those pesky-not-used stamps were out of my hair and my catagories made more sense to me.

I love the extra space left by the departing stamps and I also love not having to stare at stamps I really didn't care for (which brings up another topic: why in the world did I buy that stamp in the first place???)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

After I became a SU demo I got rid of a lot of things I didn't want anymore. I gave a box of stuff to our local Ronald McDonald House. I contacted the lead demo through SU and she was happy to accept the items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Be careful what you get rid of. I have regretted selling some of the stamp sets I did. If you can I would suggest putting them in a box and in the basement or someplace and if you still don't want them in a couple years then get rid of them, unless you actually hate it. There are times I think OH, I have a (insert stamp here) and dig and realize I sold that set or stamp. Then I end up looking for a replacement that I'm sure cost more than I sold the set for.
Another thing to keep in mind when reorganizing, if you are keeping your stamps in the boxes SU has, think about storing on their sides like books. I had them stacked and some of the boxes crushed and ruined the cushion.
I gave a bunch of craft items to a school. Things I knew I wouldn't use...because I hadn't since I bought them. A bunch was yarn...you know when 'fibers' were big so I bought whole skeins. I saved a few yards of each and got rid of the rest, that opened up 2 drawers. I am really tempted to get rid of a bunch of alphabet stamps. I have a lot and NEVER use them. That would free up a bunch of space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Default reuse of clam shell containers

I save them and use them for embossing powders. One shell for every color I have, always ready to go when I need to emboss something. I can take a card over and dip it in and shake off the extra and snap it shut and it's ready for the next time. I store them on a shelf where I can see every color I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Smile

Quote:

Your room looks well organised. I live in Bali,Indonesia, there are not stampers here, to send my stamps to my friends in australia, cost too much money. I must find out if some schools can use them.
My studio is surrounded by glass, not many walls to hang cupboards. One day I have to re-organise, but to take the step, is difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Tell me about your punch storage? Is that something you made yourself? If so, do you have dimensions? It is just what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

How do you organize your paper??
Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
Another thing to keep in mind when reorganizing, if you are keeping your stamps in the boxes SU has, think about storing on their sides like books. I had them stacked and some of the boxes crushed and ruined the cushion.
Something so very simple and it never occurred to me! Store the stamp boxes standing up on the book shelf so I do not have to dig to the bottom of the bin to find the one I want!
Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

I did a major stamp purge about a year ago, and managed to encourage my friends to do the same. Each of us actually went through all of our supplies, not just stamps, and boxed it all together. Then I contacted the local transition house and donated it to them. They use it for their art classes with adults, teens and kids. They were so very grateful and ended up sending us a beautiful letter of Thanks.

The empty clamshell boxes we had got put to use as project holders. When I design cards that I am going to make, I cut the paper to size, gather the embellishments and put it all in the clamshell. This sits to the side of my desk with the chosen stamp set until the card is made. I was inspired to do this by the scrapbooking project holders you see in different stores and websites.

Congratulations to everyone who has found the courage to purge! It is not an easy task. Keep up the good work ladies, and know that I am cheering you on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I'm painting my stamp room right now, so had to move everything from one side to the other. I'm likely going to invest in a few new bookcases from IKEA and as I move things back and find new homes for them, I'll probably clean out and not put everything back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Default Another donation option

In our area, a local women's shelter is always happy to receive crafty donations. They have alot of kids as well as adults that could use some creative time. Just my 2 cents.

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

great tips.
I usually give extra stuff to my mom she is always happy when I give her, she uses them for the Sunday school ministry at her church.
And also donated to the local woman's shelter, they love to receive new goodies, and always very grateful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Brilliant ! xxx Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #35  
ch
Mad Swapper

Last year my DH had a wonderful week fishing in Alaska--it was recreation, maybe hobby and cost a couple of thousand dollars.
Well, my hobby, recreation has been in my stamp room the last 5 years. I had fun but I'm tired of hanging on to every part of my 'hobby'. My purge is almost complete, I took a carload of stuff to Goodwill. It feels so good, I know exactly what I have and where it is! My little room seems spacious, inviting. I had a great 'trip to Alaska'. Time to move on. Wonder where my next 'adventure' will take me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

Your room looks well organised. I live in Bali,Indonesia, there are not stampers here, to send my stamps to my friends in australia, cost too much money. I must find out if some schools can use them.
My studio is surrounded by glass, not many walls to hang cupboards. One day I have to re-organise, but to take the step, is difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #37  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogrybaliView Post
(Sigh) I wish I understood your pain - I am so envyous of where you live, and how beautiful it must be there! But, on to the matter at hand:
Are there materials that you could use to build low-height shelves? I'm thinking 24-30 inches tall. If so, you could place them on all sides of your room, and not obscure your view out the windows. If you un-mount all your wood mounted stamps, you could use ring binders, with sleeves/page protectors to slip the stamps in, according to topic (or however you'd like to sort them) (maybe you'd do it by stamp set - it's up to you), and then label the binders and line them up along the shelves. Actually, this is beginning to make more and more sense to me. If you have shoe boxes or photo-storage boxes or something like that, you could put your embellishments next to the stamp set/binder they might enhance/go with. Does that make any sense?
Is there a door/s that you could hang those jewelry organizers from? Or would you be able to get a portable clothes rack (I have one in the basement for out-of-season clothes, that I'm thinking might work for you)? If so, you can use those hanging jewelry things for punches, re-inkers, embellishments, etc.
You probably have a desk or table on which to stamp; you could use the space underneath for storage, using small shelves or boxes.
Or, just use the vertical, stand up-way of storing your sets in their clamshell boxes, (on the shelves I've just built in my mind for you), or in cardboard boxes placed on their sides to make shelves, if the boxes are made of a cardboard that is stable enough to carry the weight.
I have no clue what building materials might be available to you; maybe we could come up with more ideas for you if we had more of an idea...
Good Luck!!
SQ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

good for you! I am mostly PFIing the sets I no longer want.

As for the blocks - some friends gave me theirs and I made my grandkids building blocks - I am going to paint some of them - they love these!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a demo too and after the color renovation I pulled out all of my old colors as well as retired accessories and retired stamp sets. I offered everything to my stamp club first, then listed it on the B/S/T forum, then I had a craft garage sale and sold the rest of the ink pads, some stamp sets, all the paper Su & Non-Su, lots of non-su brads, eyelets and ribbon. I had a stack of DSP and some cardstock that I brought to the elementary school for the art teacher. I made probably $150 from the garage sale and I will probably list the remainder of the stamp sets on eBay as a lot so I can get rid of them all at once. It feels so good to have all this unused stuff removed from my stamp room. Now I can see what kind of storage I really need and get going on building it (rather get DH going on it!). It's like a weight has been lifted and I'm not tripping over all this stuff anymore. Good luck to everyone who is trying to get organized!

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

Do people separate SU! stamp sets and organize them according to theme? Or keep them as a set, and label your storage accordingly? I have a stamp cabinet with drawers, and have done a little of both.
I have A LOT of flower stamps, so this is how I have them organized - you can of course adapt for your own use, or ignore this post altogether, but maybe it would help for other themes, that have sub-themes....:
FLOWERS: (a drawer for each, or more than one, depending on how many there are)
Borders, Bouquets, Branches, Brush Strokes, Clusters, Stems, Singles, in Vases, Wreaths, SU! flower sets, Flower sentiments.
This works OK for me so far, as it narrows down the multitude of flower stamps to search through.
Reply With Quote Likes