Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About PTI Dies

I'm sure this has been asked before so I appologize if this is a repeat. I did a search but did not find the answer I was looking for.

I'm interested in the PTI dies, in particular the ones that match some of their stamp sets. I have a couple of questions for those that own these.

I understand that Spellbinders has the patent on the open format dies (like nestabilities which I love and have lots of) so all other companies have to make closed dies. If it's just going to cut plain paper that doesn't seem so bad, but if I want to use it with a coordinating stamp I don't see how I could be able to stamp then position the die (like I do with nesties).

Do you have to cut out your die then stamp your image? Is this a big deal getting it lined up right? I realize the stamps are clear but I still imagine myself having trouble trying to stamp exactly on a small piece of paper.

Is it difficult to remove the paper after it's cut? I find that sometimes with nesties, the paper is firmly in the die after cutting but I can pop it right out since the center of the die is open. I was wondering if I would end up damaging the side of my die cut paper if I had to pry it out.

Has anyone found a die cut machine this won't work in? I have the old red Sizzix and I have had no problem using it with nesties, cb folders or most Sizzix dies. Just wanted to make sure these PTI dies would work with it.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Susan,

I have a big shot and use the dies in that. Sometimes, usually when I first go to use a die, the cut image will stick. Either I just lightly drop it onto the table and it pops out or I use that little pen thingy that has the sticky end for small embellishments and it pulls it out.

There really is no way to see the image if you stamp first and then want to cut out.

You have to cut out the shape first and then stamp. I won't lie to you and say it works perfectly all the time because it doesn't. Sometimes I just misjudge the edges around the side and it does not stamp even. I'm hoping that the more I do it, the more proficient I will get at judging the edges.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

With Spellbinders, I used to always stamp first, then cut and emboss. As has been stated, with PTI dies I'm having to cut then stamp. It hasn't been as difficult as I'd expected it to be.

It really, really helps to have a contrasting color of cardstock sitting under the die cut so you can see the edges very clearly when trying to line up the stamp.

In business and marketing, it was brilliant of Spellbinders to corner the market on their Nestabilities by copyrighting the open-in-the-middle design!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I agree with everything already said. I love my PTI dies! I just wanted to add that I have also used the Quickutz foam and 'foamed' the PTI dies. It's inexpensive and an easy solution if you find the paper is sticking more than you'd like.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I understand that Spellbinders has the patent on the open format dies (like nestabilities which I love and have lots of) so all other companies have to make closed dies. If it's just going to cut plain paper that doesn't seem so bad, but if I want to use it with a coordinating stamp I don't see how I could be able to stamp then position the die (like I do with nesties).
If anyone is looking for stamps that will be easy to use with dies you may already have, Spellbinders has partnered with a number of stamp companies and have given them permission to use their dies as a basis for the stamps they create. The companies are:

GinaK Designs
Donna Salazar
Flourishes
Heartfelt Creations
JustRite Stampers
Layers of Color
StampingScrapping
WaltzingMouse

Heartfelt Creations is also doing custom dies to match some of their stamps. These types of collaborations open up all sorts of avenues of creativity!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
With Spellbinders, I used to always stamp first, then cut and emboss. As has been stated, with PTI dies I'm having to cut then stamp. It hasn't been as difficult as I'd expected it to be.

It really, really helps to have a contrasting color of cardstock sitting under the die cut so you can see the edges very clearly when trying to line up the stamp.

Mary
I have to agree, it isn't a hard as you would think. With my black mat it's very easy to see the edges of my shape to stamps. Very seldom do I get it off badly. Actually I think that has only happened once, which is big for me, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my PTI dies.
I would buy one and try it to see if you like it or not.
Most of my dies pop the cardstock right out.

I use a bigshot and have no issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks ladies... lots of good info here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I just used the label dies earlier this week. I also added the Quickutz foam to the dies. I cut them and then stamped the border around the image. I only had 1 out of about 35 that didn't work properly when I stamped it. I think they look great though!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by curiasView Post
I just used the label dies earlier this week. I also added the Quickutz foam to the dies. I cut them and then stamped the border around the image. I only had 1 out of about 35 that didn't work properly when I stamped it. I think they look great though!!
I use a Quik Stik tool to get the paper out of the dies. After I cut them out I put the cut shapes on my Cricut sticky board and then stamp. The Cricut board keeps the paper right where I want it.

Love my PTI dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
I use a Quik Stik tool to get the paper out of the dies. After I cut them out I put the cut shapes on my Cricut sticky board and then stamp. The Cricut board keeps the paper right where I want it.
What a great idea to use your Cricut sticky mat! That was my biggest concern is trying to keep the die cut paper in place while I tried to position the stamp over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Never thought about using the Cricut pad. I just put a small spot of repositionable dot on my workable surface to hold down the die cut. It's really easy to wipe the glue off with your finger when you've finished stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I love my PTI dies. I have rarely had a problem with the paper sticking in the dies, but if it does, it usually comes out if I drop the die on the table. I do have the sticky quickutz tool in case I need it, but I haven't had to use it yet. It has been suprisingly much easier than I thought it would be to stamp after I cut. I was concerned about MY ability to do this, but I've never had to redo one. I use a cuttlebug for my dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I haven't read the other replies, but here's my experience with the PTI dies -

They do match the stamp sets, though they leave a white area around the stamped image. I always cut first and stamp second. It's a total PITA to get thicker paper (such as PTI card stock) out of PTI dies. Not so bad if you're making one card, but a royal pain and time consumer if you're making 12 or more (which I do often). Personally, I think they really did something stupid by not putting a pin hole in the dies (for removing paper easier) like MFT. They use the same manufacturer, so it's completely possible. I too use a BS and it works fine with the dies.

There are certain stamps that are a PITA to line up with PTI dies (such as the hot air balloons). For those, I found that stamping the outline image first helped tremendously. Thus, I cut the balloon, stamp the outlined image, then stamp the interior image. I've also found that throwing your die onto your table can often dislodge paper that you can't easily get out (without damaging the paper) with a pin or sharp scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

While I haven't used a coordinating set, I had an Idea. Cut the die, then use a temp adhesive dot of a different paper, then use your stamp-a-ma-jig or other stamp positioner to line up your stamp, just like you would for two-step stampin. Hope this gives someone good results. But I just might have to get some of these sets!

My avitar is my furry child Fluffy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Did anyone mention trying wax paper in the dies, before the cardstock right on the die...they will come out so easily.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

For the stubborn PTI ones I just use a small edge and one side of preloved piece of double sided tape gently touched on the paper to pull them apart. I generally don't need to though. Nothing damaged. . HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
Personally, I think they really did something stupid by not putting a pin hole in the dies (for removing paper easier) like MFT. They use the same manufacturer, so it's completely possible.
In their forum, they responded to that concern and said the reason they opted not to have that is because they want you to be able to flip the die over and use it to deboss a shape. Can't do that with a hole in it, apparently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a hard time lining them up, big time. I'm fussy and want them perfect, so a lot of time I just hold my breath and go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes