View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
lylacfey
Die Cut Diva

Don't forget Freecycle and then take your machine to a shop for the tune up. Also try your thrift stores and garage sales. Take a piece of scrap fabric so you can test the machine.

DH & I are both sewists. We have five machines that we use. DH has a treadle and his every day machine. He is looking for a heavy duty machine. I have an emboridery machine that does everything under the sun. We share a serger. My go to machine for quick projects is my Janome Sew Mini. I just love her to pieces. I got it as a mending machine but I have used her for everything. The only thing I don't like it doesn't have a light on it.

Sewing machines I would recommend are Bernina, Brother, Janome, Pfaff & Juki. Juki is Japanese but that machine will never fall apart on you. Bernina is the best American machine out.

Machine's to stay away from are the Singers from late 1980's on up. For a beginner it is more headache than it's worth. Singer changed all their parts and went with plastic. This is the best advice I ever gotten from a sewist.

HTH!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!