Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic paper torture

Hi everyone...

I have been building my copic collection and have really started getting into shading since I now have sets and have always used SU whisper white cause it is what I have on hand. I have tried the georgia pacific (not that much better)

Well, my LSS has recently had a person giving copic classes and she swears by bazzil uncoated white (not sure of the specific paper) and honestly I don't think it blends as well as my SU WW (to be honest that doesn't even blend as well as I see out there) and it bleeds which my SU WW doesn't.

I am tired of getting sucked in to these paper purchases cause I am really starting to believe it is largely personal preferences out of the recomended.

I have heard that gina k, papertrey and neena are among the top recomended...

Here is my question: How do I go about getting a sample so I can label and stamp the same image on each and color to find out which paper I would like to invest in without making a paper purchase for more white paper that I have to find uses for....

Thanks for any and all help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'd want more than one sheet to test with. Everyone has their own favorite paper to use with Copics.

Is the Bazzill you are working with the Simply Smooth? That particular paper was made to work with markers. I haven't tried their different lines but my understanding is that is the only paper they carry that works well with markers.

I'm not sure what the best way of getting a few sheets to try. I always buy a pack when I'm testing a new paper because I can always use extra white cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there is a RAK thread somewhere where you can put in your wish list. Perhaps you could see if someone would RAK you a couple sheets of the different papers you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I do use the Neenah Classic Crest Solar White. I have an XpedX store in my city. If you have one, you can go by, they will like pull out a sample sheet or like mine, they have sample sheets sitting out or will sell you a single sheet to try. It's an actual business store not a craft store but it has tons of wonderful papers all over the place.

Cheers, Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. I DO like the bazzill simply smooth white. (There is a white bazzill smoothie, that I think is coconut swirl, which isn't as thick or as nice.)

Are you concerned that your stamped ink is bleeding, that the copic is bleeding through to the back, that the copic ink sometimes bleeds past your stamped line? If it is your stamped ink, what are you using? If it's that the copics bleed to the back, that's what they do-- Marianne Walker's blog shows that on several examples.

Also, I was under the impression that SU WW is NOT good for copics because it has a bit of a coating that can ruin the markers? Am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I have an XpedX store in my city. If you have one, you can go by, they will like pull out a sample sheet or like mine, they have sample sheets sitting out or will sell you a single sheet to try.
I second this idea. Ours is called "If It's Paper" and they actually let me take a couple of sheets of the ones I wanted to try. I have the Neenah and it is good. If you don't mind a thinner paper, I usually use the Hammermill Color Copy Cover.

Basically I went into the If It's paper store to get some Neenah. When I explained I was looking for REALLY smooth really white paper, they suggested the Hammermill. I took a few sheets with me along with my package of Neenah, and then went back the next week and bought a pack of the 60 lb and the 80 lb. It is REALLY smooth. And a lot cheaper. However, it is a bit thinner. The 80 lb Hammermill seems lighter than the 80 lb Neenah. I use both, it just depends on what I am doing. If it is going to be layered directly on cardstock I typically use the 60 lb H. If it is going to be cut out and popped up with nothing behind it I will use the Neenah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perhaps the Bazzill is what used to be known as Prisma, I think they bought out that line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
Perhaps the Bazzill is what used to be known as Prisma, I think they bought out that line
Yes, the Bazzill Simply Smooth is the old Prism CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I'd trust the Neenah. I have the 80 and 120#. Actually GP works well for me too.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

If you pm me your address, I'd be happy to send you a sample of both the PTI and Gina K cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

I understand your frustration on finding the right paper. I've tried quite a few myself. However, I take Jeanne's view on it - I can always use more white paper for regular stamping!

Are you aware that the coating on paper like SU's WW can damage the tips of your Copic markers? WW is designed to be used with water based inks, not alcohol based ones, like Copics. You need a paper that allows the Copic ink to soak into, so an uncoated paper. Neehah, PTI White, Gina K White, Copic paper, and now the new (to the U.S.) Xpedex paper all fit that bill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!! Anyone have any sugestions or reasons why when I use the non coated bazzil and I color and use my blender pen (0) to move color out and to remove color it pushes the ink outside of my lines and blurs my ink? I use memento TB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmts1981View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!! Anyone have any sugestions or reasons why when I use the non coated bazzil and I color and use my blender pen (0) to move color out and to remove color it pushes the ink outside of my lines and blurs my ink? I use memento TB
You probably have too much Copic ink on the paper. The paper will only absorb so much and then it has to go somewhere. That's my guess as to why it's bleeding outside the lines. Memento will bleed too, but generally doesn't when you use it on compatible paper. Perhaps the Bazzill paper is not the most compatible one for Memento + Copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

It really is a trial and error process. What works for me here in East Tennessee with the humidity (Neenah or Hammermill with Memento) may not work for me if I lived in a different climate like in West Texas or something. For example, people say that they use Georgia Pacific and have no problems. For me it is HORRID... it bleeds everywhere. I think the humidity affects the interaction between paper and ink.

It is a lot better to try a few sheets and just figure out what works for you in your environment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

The September 2010 issue of Scrap & Stamp Arts has an article by Lindsay Weirich of Orrington, Maine comparing twelve cardstocks when colored with alcohol-based markers such as Copics. It was fascinating to see and read how differently the cardstocks reacted when colored and stamped. The author's overall ratings are based on how well the markers blend, crispness of ink and workability. Her favorite was Neenah Classic Crest Solar White Super Smooth, and the tied runners-up were Wausau Royal Silk and Neenah Classic Crest Solar White Smooth. It may be worth your while to find a copy of the magazine to read the author's analysis, as you may not prefer the same cardstock she did. Here is the link to the magazine's site: Scrap & Stamp Arts
Reply With Quote Likes