Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping support at home?

Do you have a husband/wife/family that is supportive of your paper-crafting hobby or does your hobby irritate them more than anything else? My husband doesn't understand the point of it and so he doesn't express any support for me with it. I hear all the time about people who have such supportive husbands and I wish so much that mine was too. I hate asking for money to buy things. I'm thinking seriously about just selling all my stuff and giving up on stamping all together. Could really use some advice.

www.stampinGHmom.blogspot.com

My gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry that your DH is not supportive. communication is very important so he might only see this as a "waste of time" but its important that he see that this is a healthy habit that will make you happy, and happy you makes happy wife. That said, he may have his own hobbies, interests or passtimes (including tv) and each of you needs/deserves your you time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

If YOU truly enjoy stamping then do not sell all your stuff. Just because he doesn't understand why you do something doesn't mean you have to stop doing it. Explain to him that you understand that he doesn't get it, but he should respect the fact that you enjoy it. I would also talk to him about setting a budget if what you can spend each month on it or maybe talk about a way for you to earn extra money towards it.

Does he have any hobbies?

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

It is really difficult when you and your husband are not on the same page, especially where money is concerned. Is he in charge of the finances in your home? Are you guys scraping to make "ends meet"? If so, this could be where his push-back is coming from. What we did, early in our marriage when things were tight, was to take a small cash "allowance" that we were able to spend on whatever we wanted - no questions asked. You could spend yours on your craft supplies, he on whatever he enjoys - golf, etc. My parents still do this after 40+ years of marriage. It works beautifully.

Don't give up on your stamping and scrapbooking if you enjoy it. We as women, especially moms, don't often make time for ourselves. It is very important that we do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

My DH just laughs and shakes his head when he sees me working at the dining room table, whether I'm actually stamping or just organizing or unmounting. The only reason he can understand my love of this hobby is because he has his own. I talked to him about *why* I love this so much, which is how he can understand - he's the same way with his r/c model airplanes, strategy games, pinewood derby cars, etc. He can spend hours and hours building tiny little model vehicles and painting them. He even paints the little green Army men to go with them... So once I explained to him the satisfaction I get from stamping images and creating hand-made gifts, he was able to correlate that to his love of all things tiny. Communication is what worked for us. We were able to explain what it was that we both enjoyed so much. I agree with others who say don't sell your stuff. It's already bought, you enjoy it, and you won't get as much as you paid for it. You could make him a card and tell him how much joy you get from giving them to those you love!

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I know that my DH doesn't understand why I feel like I need so much stuff, but he does understand that I need to do this to make myself stay sane. My DH is very much a homebody which means we spend a lot of our weekend time at home. I need something to do besides housework and he realizes this. So he's pretty supportive of this hobby. And he's become even more supportive since he went against my wishes and bought himself a motorcycle this summer. Sorry, I'm off track, that's another topic.

But I would say if doing this makes you happy, don't quit because of him. I believe that everyone should have a hobby that makes them happy, and if you've found yours, then stick to it. And if money is the issue here, then talk things through with DH and see if you can find a solution, whether it's to earn some of your own, or to budget a little bit each month. And remember, keep on the lookout, sometimes you can hit really good sales at your craft store or garage sales.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I just took a peek at your blog and your gallery - DON'T QUIT!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks so much for the kind words of support. I think part of the problem is that he doesn't have a hobby, other than sitting on Facebook all evening! Which drives me nuts because I feel like I'm not doing what I want to do but he is. Somehow I'm taking away from our time together when I'm paper-crafting but he's not when he's doing what he wants.
Don't misunderstand, I love him I really do! This is just the one thing I can't seem to work out with him! Ugh !!!

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sweet hubby likes nothing more than to know I am happy...he is such a special man. He travels Monday-Friday every week for his work. Sometimes when he knows I have been trying to find a specific item at a craft store he will call me from another state where he is at a craft store trying to find what I want. The last thing he got for me was some cute cute cute Christmas stamps I wanted from Walmart. They didnt have the ones I wanted here in Vegas so he found them in Denver and brought them home. I would not trade this sweet loving man for anything. My two sisters here have rooms like mine too. We get together as often as we can to share stamping time...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

My DH doesn't necessarily understand WHY I love stamping and crafting. It's not practical, so it makes little sense to him. But he does understand that it's important to me, and so he's amazingly supportive of my hobby.

I guess it helps that my DH has expensive hobbies of his own. For instance, his 22' boat is currently sitting in front of my house, waiting to go back to the storage lot, after I spent 4 hours detailing it. We spent $22,000 on it brand new, at least a $1000/year on storage and maintenance, and $15 launch fee plus gas for the tow-vehicle AND the boat each time we take it out. Which is about 3 times a year. And the kicker is that I get sea-sick, LOL~ But I support him in this just as he supports me in my hobby. Then there is the loader in the garage, the two rooms full of exercise equipment, the unfinished downstairs area full of compressors, nail gun, concrete mixers, power tools, etc. It will be decades before I outspend him. ;)

Talk to your DH. Can you bring some of your crafting into the room where he is on the computer? That way you can be together, but still doing what you both like. If it's a money issues, why not try to sell some of your creations or become a demo to support your hobby. I work full-time so I feel ZERO guilt buying what I like.

Good luck!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well since my dh has a hobby. actually 2 main ones..that he spends money on. He really doesn't have any room to talk.

He's happy that I found something to do with my spare time. And thinks it neat that I have so many friends who enjoy doing the same.

I watch what I spend. (well most of the time;).

I think if you dh had a hobby of his own. He might understand a little more about what makes this something you enjoy.

Don't give up! I'd keep it.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with everyone else. DON'T GIVE IT UP! Honestly, how useful is Facebook? If your DH wants to spend time on FB and it makes him happy, then fine. If you want to spend time stamping and it makes you happy, then also fine.

My DH doesn't understand in the least why I stamp and blog, but he's living in a glass house and knows better than to throw stones. He's into triathlon (three sports in one!), photography, and cooking. YIKES the money we spend on his hobbies! I sort of get his cooking and photography (and reap the benefits of the both!) but triathlon baffles me. He does Ironman distances (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). WHY!?!?!?!?!?!

Doesn't matter. I support him in his efforts and he supports me. We talk about it, communicate about expenses, and understand the limits.

My mom gave up oil painting when my dad complained about the smell. She didn't paint for years. After they divorced, she took up watercolors and just recently returned to oils. How I despise my dad for cheating mom out of all those years of art. Women give up entirely too much of themselves for men in situations like this. Marriages must be about compromise for two people to live together peacefully, but they shouldn't be about erasure of oneself for another.

And now I'll step down off my feminist soapbox. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I totally agree with everyone else. DON'T GIVE IT UP! Honestly, how useful is Facebook? If your DH wants to spend time on FB and it makes him happy, then fine. If you want to spend time stamping and it makes you happy, then also fine.

My DH doesn't understand in the least why I stamp and blog, but he's living in a glass house and knows better than to throw stones. He's into triathlon (three sports in one!), photography, and cooking. YIKES the money we spend on his hobbies! I sort of get his cooking and photography (and reap the benefits of the both!) but triathlon baffles me. He does Ironman distances (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). WHY!?!?!?!?!?!

Doesn't matter. I support him in his efforts and he supports me. We talk about it, communicate about expenses, and understand the limits.

My mom gave up oil painting when my dad complained about the smell. She didn't paint for years. After they divorced, she took up watercolors and just recently returned to oils. How I despise my dad for cheating mom out of all those years of art. Women give up entirely too much of themselves for men in situations like this. Marriages must be about compromise for two people to live together peacefully, but they shouldn't be about erasure of oneself for another.
I couldn't agree more, Susan. I've been married to a great guy for over 40 years, but our relationship has definitely evolved from how it started out all those years ago.

In the beginning throes of mad love and infatuation, I so desperately wanted to please him in every way possible. He was quite conservative in his dress and manner, but I was younger than he, outspoken and outgoing, and this was the "Swinging Sixties."

When we met and courted, I wore mini-skirts, quite a lot of eye makeup, which was the style then, and "big" hair, which was also the style. After we married, he started dropping gentle hints about my clothes (too bright and flashy), my makeup (too much), and my hair (too big).

I gradually changed all this to "please" him, but I was quietly resentful about it. I had lunch with a good friend that I hadn't seen in a while. She was shocked by my changed appearance and demeanor. She said, "What have you done to yourself? You don't even look or act like you!"

I gave this a lot of thought, and decided to go back to being myself! After all, he fell in love with that person to start with, didn't he? It's worked pretty well - we will celebrate 45 years in November.

Like everyone has said, try to communicate with your husband about your hobby and its importance to you, but don't just give it, and (yourself) up.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Repeating what everyone else says, DON'T give up something you love just because someone else doesn't understand it. My grandmother had a sign: when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. If everyone liked the same things, there would be no art, music, or creativity of any sort. When we respect each others' differences and support them, we're all better off.

Use the wonderful people here as your support team if you don't have anyone at home, and keep telling yourself you have the right to do what you enjoy!

Happy stamping!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I was married before and I compromised what was important to me. For example even though he couldn't care less about dishes he picked out the royal blue wedding china and then forgot that he was the one that wanted it. Same thing when he picked out blue for our bedroom. He had to have it and then forgot about it. But I never forgot!!! I bet if you gave up stamping he wouldn't even notice or care. And then when you complain that you gave it all up for him he would say "why- I didn't tell you to do that." Men.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

clap clap clap! well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappychicaView Post
clap clap clap! well said.
Ditto!!

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

my hubby supports my crafts to a point, but then he asks me why I keep buying stuff.... he thinks I have too much, and doesn't understand my need to keep buying. No, dear, I don't have enough stamps, paper, ink, etc. He is going to kill me when the visa bill comes this month. But, I figure, I don't buy designer clothes, purses, shoes, etc like his friends wives/girlfriends do, so as long as I'm happy, leave me alone, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

DO NOT GIVE IT UP!!! You apparently love to do so, and it makes no sense to walk away. You mentioned he is into facebook - that's a sort of Hobby (well in todays tec world it is lol). You should be stamping when he is doing his Facebook stuff. BUT if it's seperating you too much maybe sit down and come up with a time slot that you both can do your hobbies.

Unfortunatley things like this (exessive computer gaming use) can really turn bad. Trust me - I'm divorced becasue of it. All my ex did was spend 24/7 (over 5-6 hours a day) on his Playstation and after years of neglect I walked away. Now this is just my opinion here. It was the hardest decission I ever made, but when I look at my life now and my wonderful DH now that spends time with me, is supportive of my card making, and takes interest in what I do - I made the right choice. I would not trade my Dh for the world. He is sweet and understanding and he's even made cards with me so he can see what the fascination is about lol.

One of the things that works best for me now is when I craft and my DH wants to be on facebook (the PC in general) or watching TV I have a sitting area and TV set up near my craft table and he comes and sits with me. He's doing his thing, I'm doing mine and it works out really well. Most of the time we end up talking lots and have some really great conversations but we are each doing our own thing. Sometimes we are each in our own little worlds and don't speak but we are together and it's happy time.

Don't give up on your stamping - it's just a little bump in the road for you is all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not a marriage counselor, but have been married for 19 years. We're the "newlyweds" in our families, too. One thing that we've all realized is that you have to be a happy person to be a happy couple. If he's making comments, help him realize how important it is to you.

As for the money thing, sorry - I don't get that. Yes, I work full time and make more money than DH, but no matter the situation, it is OUR money. When DH was doing real estate and the market crashed (thus no income) it never crossed my mind that it was not our money. If he wanted something for his hobby he got it if we could afford it. He never asked me other than to see if we could - and I certainly never felt like he had to earn it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoodleDeeView Post
One of the things that works best for me now is when I craft and my DH wants to be on facebook (the PC in general) or watching TV I have a sitting area and TV set up near my craft table and he comes and sits with me. He's doing his thing, I'm doing mine and it works out really well. Most of the time we end up talking lots and have some really great conversations but we are each doing our own thing. Sometimes we are each in our own little worlds and don't speak but we are together and it's happy time.
Our house is tiny, so we're around each other while we're each hobby-ing... My biggest problem with it is I get to talking too much and start screwing up my cards! LOL I have to concentrate on shutting up so I stop messing up my designs! (And, bless his heart, he's fantastic about 'actively ignoring' me!)

I still get a little jealous when DH goes out to his wood shop, because I'd rather be with him, even if we're not talking... So, I sort of understand that side of it, but I don't think I'd say anything unless it became an obsession that was keeping us apart. A few hours here and there throughout the week, tho, is NOT an obsession.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Amen!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

You all have been so kind with your thoughtful words of encouragement. I intend to write a little more later. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone!!!

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTJmomView Post
Thanks so much for the kind words of support. I think part of the problem is that he doesn't have a hobby, other than sitting on Facebook all evening! Which drives me nuts because I feel like I'm not doing what I want to do but he is. Somehow I'm taking away from our time together when I'm paper-crafting but he's not when he's doing what he wants.
Don't misunderstand, I love him I really do! This is just the one thing I can't seem to work out with him! Ugh !!!
I understand what you're talking about and I'm so sorry to hear that he's not supportive.

What if you fix a time which you designate as time for each of you - where each of you can do what you want? So he can do FB and you can do crafting. Regarding the money, do you send cards to friends/family? If so for every card you "donate" towards such a cause , you should collect $2-3 because that's what would you cost you if you bought one from the market . Other than that as others said, maybe get a monthly allowance depening on what you can afford - big or small doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't think you should have to ask him for money. I think you should each have your own spending money.
And yes, I agree with a lot of the other answers, do your thing while he is on the computer doing his thing. Then spend time together when you are not doing that.
There is time for both.
My husband doesn't "get it" although he sometimes humors me, as I do him when he talks about fishing or golfing. Marriage is give and take, and I hope he learns to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a supportive husband. Our children are grown and gone from home. We have a 4 bedroom home.Way too much room. I came home from work and my husband had put shelving in a closet, bought me two long tables and new carpet and did it in a small bedroom. That was my birthday present. Now sometimes he says you don't need anything else. I always say yep you are right but I want lots more. He just laughs. He does some competition riding. (with his horse) and I am very supportive.Nothing to do with horses is cheap. Stamping or Scrapbooking makes me happier. It helps to relieve stress etc. Explain to your husband it is something for you and even though he does not understand it you could be spending the money on something a lot worse than stamping supplies. If you look through these replies you are going to see things that pertain to you and your situation. This should help you to communicate that you enjoy stamping. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Love Your Blog Blossom/Funny and Great Pictures

Quote:

Why he does Ironman stuff? Maybe because anyone can cook (something) and anyone can take pictures (of something). But how many husbands do you know who can do Ironman distances? Especially once they get to be a certain age. Not saying you or your husband are old by any means. (If that is him on your blog, he is a hunk)! Just saying that the Ironman is really quite an accomplishment. It won't last forever. Age gets to us all. I would encourage and cheer him on all the way. (Do you feel a little intimidated because men seem to have it much easier than we do when it comes to staying in shape?) I know I'm jealous because my husband has strong firm arms and can wear short sleeves and mine are flabby, lol.

I agree with what you said. Compromise is the key to a happy marriage. Even more so, compromise with a smile will take you a long way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Do you have a husband/wife/family that is supportive of your paper-crafting hobby or does your hobby irritate them more than anything else? My husband doesn't understand the point of it and so he doesn't express any support for me with it. I hear all the time about people who have such supportive husbands and I wish so much that mine was too. I hate asking for money to buy things. I'm thinking seriously about just selling all my stuff and giving up on stamping all together. Could really use some advice.
Men just like to be in control. Especially where money is concerned. When he is in a good mood and not when he is on facebook, just have a nice talk with him. (Dinner at a restaurant is a good time). Explain that you have a hobby. It does require you to make purchases from time to time. Ask him what amount of money is he comfortable with you using as your hobby budget? I'm sure you have a grocery budget, gas, cable internet, etc. Men like to see things, they are very visual creatures. Put it in the budget.

It might be good for you also. That way you don't buy stuff just because. Might make you more mindful of your spending.

If that doesn't work, then just sleep on the couch a couple of nights. By the third night on the couch my husband gives me anything I want, lol. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a very supportive, loving, enabling hubby. I am really blessed. He also crafts. He is my biggest fan.

I come from a big family of crafter's. Even though my Mom crafted. It was always what my Dad wanted her to do or somebody else wanted her to do. She would do this until she got to be a resentful hateful old lady. That sounds mean but it is honestly true.

My Mom is very talented, published recipe author, won several prestigious awards for her crafting. She loves to paper craft. She stopped paper crafting when she married my Father. She also writes poetry and my Dad disapproved. She did everything else he asked her too like make floral arrangements, decorate cakes, sew, etc... She didn't do what she loved.

When my Dad died she started doing what she loved but it was too late. She was just mean about it. She is also highly critical of everyone. Nobody wants to craft with her. If you are better than her she tears it down and sometimes will tear it up. I have been through it and her friends have been through it.

Now she is watching my life with a loving husband, I do the crafts I want and she makes snarky comments, tries to out do me and runs me down at every shape or turn. It's ok, I know why she acts the way she does. I might not approve. I definitely hate it, don't trust her and she has destroyed any type of a trusting relationship I would have with her. I understand why she is this way. Yes, I do blame my Dad for his part in it. He was a control freak and society snob.

I know every marriage is different. Never ever give up what you love. Some people are control freaks, some are just jealous, or clingy, lonely or just don't understand what your doing so they feel left out.

If your DH feels left out you can invite him to stamp with you. My DH doesn't understand half of what I do. He enjoys playing with all my crafting tools.

I hope that helps. Please don't give it up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I am also quite blessed to have a very supportive husband. He too has his separate hobbies and interests so he understand my needs for other hobbies and interests. Whenever I create something I love sharing what I have made and he always seems to show just the right amount of interest and praise. Our running joke, however, is that when I am created a card for a swap or just to post on my website I rarely stamp a sentiment inside, therefore whenever I show him a card the first thing he does is open it and make a comment about it being naked inside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

You all are right and I do enjoy it so I'm not going to give it up. One the kids will start school soon and that will give me time during the day. Two, with this particular assignment he will be out of town often. I think I bLance things fairly well in the house: everyone gets fed and bathed and everyone has clean clothes! As for the money part of it, he says he doesn't mind me spending money on my hobby just so long as we talk about it and we budget for it. I told him yesterday what I was feeling and he told me not to feel like that. He said if it's something that I like to do then keep doing it. On a side note, he really likes the whole scrapbooking thing because he sees a purpose in it. Stamping and card-making not so much! I told him that I also enjoy the scrapbooking part as well but that it takes a lot of prepping and planning to accomplish those pages.

Anyhow, thanks so much for all your help and really wonderful suggestions. I'm off to craft now!!

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Hooray! Good for you!! And way to put a silver lining around it, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad to hear you came to some type of understanding. And I'll put another idea in your head - my DH is the same way when it comes to being more supportive of scrapbooking than cardmaking. So I rationalize my stamps by using them in my scrapbooks as well as on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

My DH used to complain quite a bit about how much stuff I have for crafting and the fact that I worked on a kitchen counter didn't help. Now I have a dedicated area, he sometimes finds me stuff to use, and most of my cards are requested by him. I know he didn't get why I enjoy making cards and other stuff so much for quite some time. His perspective started to change when his grandparents saved a Christmas card I had sent, and they aren't people that save cards. He also learned that sometimes something simple like a homemade card can grease some wheels at work, so now he gets to use my hobby to his advantage and I get the fun of more people getting stuff that I have made. He has gone from "why not just buy a card?" to the very idea of me buying a card being a little bit of a threat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DH tries to be very supportive with my Paper crafts. He does have hobbies of his own, and since the birth of our Son he seems to enjoy these hobbies alot more, because it is time alone to relax. My hobby doesn't cost quite as much as his even though he would love to make people that, DH enjoys Guns (fire-arms) hunting and plan out target shooting, and he also fishes but that tends to the cheap part of his hobbies. Open communications is what really helped us out in the beginning and DH makes all financial decisions in our home since I am a SAHM- so he gives me an allowance weekly (it isn't much- average is 25.00/week) and this gives me money I can spend on my hobby without having to ask for anything. 2-3 times a year I get so called bonuses for staying in my allotted amount but it is really because he wants a New Gun which costs several hundred dollars/thousands and he needs to make things equal, LOL.

Ask your DH if he ever had a hobby, even if it something he hasn't done in a few years..this is how my DH got back into Guns and hunting- when we first started dating (10 years ago) he had stopped hunting for the most part and had given up his Fire-Arms Dealing License years earlier...even though he had no interest in selling guns anymore he still have great interest in collecting the best guns on the market and hunting. It gives him time away from Us (DS and Me) and places him back out in nature where his heart is.

communication is essential.. I hope it gets better and don't give up a hobby that brings you happiness. See if setting an allowance weekly or monthly will make him feel better. My allowance is small but I have a huge overstuffed craft room- so even small amounts will get you great things in time.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

My husband is supportive of my actual stamping and compliments what I make and will even drive me two hours to stamp show. What is doesn't like is all the supplies I have all over the house. He doesn't care what I spend because I pay for it all with a part time job. Are your kids old enough to be in school all day? If so, she if the school system employs lunchaides. When my yougest hit first grade, I got a job as a lunchaide. It's only two hours a day and I was off when the kids were. I've been at the job now for 22 years and my kids are 28 and 31. It's a nice little job and gives me enough money to keep me in stamp supplies and a few other things. I can take off whenever I please, I just don't get paid for the days I take off and there are no benefits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

Ok, I have some advice. Give it to God. Secondly, make your husband see the value in stamping cards by making cards for him, his family, his employees, ---ect. Buy some masculine stamps and ask him for his opinion as to whether or not he likes the stamp set or not. If he does not respond with optimism, don't give up. As for the money part, if you make your own money, then set up a special savings account called your "HOBBY" account and set aside some money monthly so you do not have to ask him for the money. Most importantly, pray!!!! Ask God to bless your hobby through your husband's acceptance and enthusiasm for what you do.
CUT THE SCRAP!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I read this this morning, but didn't have time to post. I am glad to see that you have communicated - as everyone says, it's important - and have reached a happy position.
I'm certainly lucky with mine - he knows I don't spend more than we can afford on something that is *just* a hobby, he always wants to see what I've made, he's honest about whether or not he likes it, and he says being creative = being messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

my hobby is cheaper than the psychiatrist.LOL
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

I haven't read all the posts, but I can echo what others are saying about doing hobbies next to each other. My craft room is right next to the living room, and we often "watch" football games/TV shows "together" with me in my room and he in the living room, and we talk back and forth. My room is also at the top of the basement stairs, and when he plays PS3, we talk back and forth while he's playing. I love how centrally located my room is. I am very fortunate that my hubster "gets it." He's seen me come home from work completely wound tight, and watched me relax as I get into a project, and he contributes ideas from time to time. Don't give it up!
Reply With Quote Likes