View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #29
UnderstandBlue
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

A few quick things:

The link formatting appears to be part of this upgrade and of course you can still modify that in advanced mode, so that is pretty cool. I'm traveling, so I haven't looked at the settings for this, but that was a nice surprise.

I think what people aren't understanding is that the addition of icons for bookmarking public content does not change anything at all about privacy or the site.

If you log out of our site, and look at what content is visible to non-registered users, that is the information that can be shared via bookmarking/social media sites. Bookmarking sites make your internet browsing easier because, as someone said - no matter where you are logged on, your bookmarks are available to you via these services.

You would be able to share that exact same information by simply copying and pasting a link anywhere, so privacy is absolutely no different. It's the addition of a convenience for users who use those sites, not an intrusion on anyone who doesn't.

For example, go to forums that aren't visible to unregistered users, like the Demo Forums, or the Fan Club, etc. You will not see the icons there because they're not public forums.

So again, nothing changes about what is visible to the public and what is not. There's just some cute little icons that help social media users and bookmark users do what they're already enjoying doing right now - organizing their internet content to make life easier, and sharing things that they enjoy (that are already public) on the internet.

And Deborah - no one can share anything on *your* facebook page, btw. The facebook sharing option allows users to post things they enjoy on *their* facebook pages. Again, things that are already public, and that they could share anyway via a link.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!