Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATG Adhesive's bonding power VS. Glue Glider Pro Perma-Tac???

I recently converted to a Glue Glider Pro with the Perma-Tac cartridge, which they list as their strongest bonding power adhesive.

However, a bunch of my projects are falling apart! Not heavy embellishments falling off, but paper to paper bonds falling apart. I am crushed after having spent money on the applicator guns and cartridges. So many people love it and I have been so disappointed.

How does the bonding power of the 3M ATG Gold adhesive compare to the Glue Glider Pro Perma-Tac adhesive? If my cards won't fall apart, it might be time to shell out the bucks for the big gun!

But this is a lot of money to spend, and I'd like to hear from the forum on how these adhesives compare! Opinions, please! And thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trick with the Glue Glider is that you need to press the two pieces together firmly. When I do that I have excellent luck with my GGP. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

That's really a bummer, Lynne!
I've been in love with my ATG714 for at least 2.5+ years. I know the original cost of the ATG seems high, but the cost of the refill rolls is very user-friendly ... i.e. cost-efficient. The 3M adhesives for the ATG are very "high tack" ...
Quote:

is ideal for bonding a wide variety of similar and dissimilar materials such as metals, glass, wood, papers, paints, and many plastics. Some application ideas include: Mounting promotional items, posters, etc.
Glu-glider pro refills = 40 feet
ATG 924 refills = 36 yards

The ATG is a larger device (than the GGP), though well-balanced for the hand. I do know that some of my stampy buds adore their GGP .... so I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in your new purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I've had my ATG for nearly 10 years with NO issues. You have to remember that ATG is not a craft products - it was created originally for custom framing shops - if their stuff fell apart they'd have very unhappy customers. An entire industry wouldn't put their trust in a product if it weren't good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I use generic tape from the Tape Depot and I love it. The only thing...once I stick something down, it is difficult to pull it up because it sticks almost too well! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

If you have trouble getting something back up after you have stuck it down, the Cricut spatula works really well. If you don't have one, Walmart carries them for $5. I have stuck things down, pressed them in place, and changed my mind. Slide that spatula under the paper and no tearing or wrinkling, and you can still reuse everything.

I vote for ATG. While I haven't had any trouble with the Glue Glider, ATG will never give up, and comes at a much cheaper price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had my ATG for 3 years & I luv it! I just placed my pre-order for the pink one so that I can have a second one for when friends come over to create with me. You can pre-order from StampingScrapping.com for 24.99...I can't wait to get mine.

http://www.stampingscrapping.com/cat...h-ATG-Guns.htm

From what I've heard you can fit your tape from the 714 gun into this one. It was made for non-commercial use so it's not as heavy duty, whatever that means.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check out this thread for more info on SCS

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also love love love my red 714. I use only the tape from www.tapedepot.com now. The stick is so good that if you stick something down and it is not straight..you will probably ruin your project trying to get them apart. I use many many rolls of this tape for my soldier cards and the swim teams I supply.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
That's really a bummer, Lynne!
I've been in love with my ATG714 for at least 2.5+ years. I know the original cost of the ATG seems high, but the cost of the refill rolls is very user-friendly ... i.e. cost-efficient. The 3M adhesives for the ATG are very "high tack" ...
Glu-glider pro refills = 40 feet
ATG 924 refills = 36 yards

The ATG is a larger device (than the GGP), though well-balanced for the hand. I do know that some of my stampy buds adore their GGP .... so I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in your new purchase.

Just to clarify:
Glue Glider is 65 feet = 22 yards
ATG 924 is 108 feet = 36 yards

I use the Tombow Mono Adhesive Roller which is 82 feet for $4.19 which ends up being $0.05 cents a foot. The GGP is 65 feet at $7.99 (about) which is $0.12 cents a foot. The ATG 924 is about $4.11 for 108 feet and that works out to $0.04 per foot.

So the cheapest is the ATG, followed closely by the Tombow Roller. the GGP is the most expensive.

Discount Office Supplies is the cheapest around for regular adhesive refills.

http://www.discountofficeitems.com/o...ll/p28499

Last edited by Bethshaya; 06-21-2010 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I recently switched from the GGP to the ATG for cost reasons. I love my ATG. I sell my cards at an outdoor market, and found out a few weeks ago that the ATG holds up much better in humid conditions than the GGP. It was a very rainy, misty, damp and miserable day, and even though my cards were protected from the actual weather, the air was so damp that the cardstock was becoming 'soft'. The cards that I had made a while back with my GGP (about 6 months ago maybe) began coming up at the edges. the ATG cards didn't budge. It was quite bizarre to see. (I use the ATG Gold tape btw). I like the fact that with the ATG you don't have to press the layers together to much, it just sticks, no matter what!

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalia DisaView Post
I recently switched from the GGP to the ATG for cost reasons. I love my ATG. I sell my cards at an outdoor market, and found out a few weeks ago that the ATG holds up much better in humid conditions than the GGP. It was a very rainy, misty, damp and miserable day, and even though my cards were protected from the actual weather, the air was so damp that the cardstock was becoming 'soft'. The cards that I had made a while back with my GGP (about 6 months ago maybe) began coming up at the edges. the ATG cards didn't budge. It was quite bizarre to see. (I use the ATG Gold tape btw). I like the fact that with the ATG you don't have to press the layers together to much, it just sticks, no matter what!

HTH!
I think that decides it for me. It must be a humidity issue as the cards and projects seemed fine when they left me, but the stuff I made six months ago is coming back to me in pieces for repair! I live in Georgia for gosh sakes, humidity is ALWAYS going to be an issue!

Still wishing for lime green, but the price is right on the new pink gun! Guess I'll order some ATG gold refills and just use it the old-fashioned way until the new guns come out. Then I'll paint it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post
Just to clarify:
Glue Glider is 65 feet = 22 yards
ATG 924 is 108 feet = 36 yards

So the cheapest is the ATG, followed closely by the Tombow Roller. the GGP is the most expensive.

Discount Office Supplies is the cheapest around for regular adhesive refills.

http://www.discountofficeitems.com/o...ll/p28499.html
Only the repositionable cartridge has 60 (or 65) feet on it. The High Tac and Perma Tac have only 40 feet on them. That makes the ATG tape even more of a bargain. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

It has been years since I have posted anything on SCS, I just have not had the time. But this topic is definitely one that I feel very strongly about. I have had my ATG gun for about 4 years now and each one of my students have their own gun as well. Not only is it the best applicator and tape I have tried, ( I had tried everything on the market to that date), for it's adhesive powers, but also the cheapest, hands down!! We all love our guns and I have several just in case someone new comes to class or someone forgets their gun at home. The last time I purchased the tape,( March 2010), 3M 924 1/4" it was $2.40 a roll, if you buy it 12 at a time, which we all do here and some pitch in together to get a box of a dozen and split it to save money. That means you are paying; $0.02 a foot, you cannot beat that price! So you get the cheapest price per foot of any of the other methods and the best tape for adhesiveness, how can you go wrong spending the money for the gun that will last you years? You cannot.
Well, that is only my opinion, I am sure you will read many more.
I purchase my tape and my guns from framingsupplies.com. Four years ago when I purchased my gun it was priced at about $33.00 plus shipping.
Good luck with whatever you choose. I just had to comment, this is my favorite tool and the best piece of equipment I ever purchased for my card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

ATG is really the bargain of the century when you look at cost for adhesives.
I love my ATG714 and use scotch 3m gold
tried others and was not as happy so stick with 3m gold
Reply With Quote Likes