Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiskars Premium Trimmer

Do any of you use the Fiskar's premium trimmer? I would like to upgrade my personal paper trimmer to something a little better than what I have (Zision trimmer from HL). I have the larger rotary trimmer from Fiskars, but I'm looking for something smaller that I can take to crops or for quick cuts. This appears to be a good trimmer, but I'd like some user feedback before purchasing. Thank you for your help!!!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this several weeks ago, to replace a MM precision trimmer that my DGD tried to cut wood with and bent the blade. Since you can't replace the blade, I picked this up with a coupon. Love, love, love all the measurement markings. It makes it so easy to know what you are really cutting. It's got a great locking system. Love the "extra" markings past the cut line, handy if you want to just trim 1 inch off the paper.The only thing I don't like and it's probably me, the surface seems so slick. Several times I've accidently shifted my paper. I'm learning to use the guide to hold and secure the paper.
So long story short. Very pleased for what I paid.
HTH
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

That is exactly the trimmer I have been searching for, to replace my MM folding trimmer, too. Most portable-ish trimmers are too narrow and I like to have 5 1/2" on the trimmer, not just on the fold-out arm. Thanks for starting this thread!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default Is it Fiskars Titanium?

Is this called the Fiskars Titanium or something like that? I saw the Fiskars Titanium in Sam's Club last night, but just in passing - no time to stop and look as I had to get in/get out and get to class. But what I did see just in passing was that it looks larger than your normal paper tirmmer. Maybe close to size of a Carl trimmer one of our group's demos has been bringing lately when she does a demo for our group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Mary Beth, do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? I know they sell them. They don't keep too many in stock though, at least not at my HL. I haven't looked, but I bet Michaels sells them too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
Mary Beth, do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? I know they sell them. They don't keep too many in stock though, at least not at my HL. I haven't looked, but I bet Michaels sells them too...
No Hobby Lobby in San Diego area but I'm hoping! I shopped at one in North Dakota in December and it was like the mothership calling me home.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

OMG Mary Beth, I dont' know what I would do without a Hobby Lobby! You need to campaign for one in your area. LOL. Although their selection can be limited, it's convenient to be able to pop in and get some essentials when you've unexpectedly run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I just bought this yesterday. HL had 30% off. I think I will love all the markings too. I even cut a layer with 1/16" edge and it was great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

So....... how much was it.... ??? I might need one!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I love this trimmer, it has a wire in the middle of the cutting arm. It shows you exactly where it will cut. Also with its wide base you don't have to extend the ruler to make cards. It's a great trimmer. Remember its a fiskars product it guarentee for life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Hobby Lobby lists the price at $29.99. And I got it at 30% off. If you don't get it this week, you could always use their 40% coupon when it's not on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Wow, thank you for the feedback ladies! I think this trimmer's going to have to go on my wish list (and shopping list ;) ) I really like the idea of not having to extend the ruler to make a card. The trimmer I have cuts off right at the 4 1/4 mark, it drives me nuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

The only trimmer I would ever buy is the marth stewart one . Ive tryed most of them its by far my favorite. The blade dulls fast in the fiskars leaving you a raggaded edge. I am tried of buying blade the minute you just uses them a couple of time. Marths stewart blade fits cutter and circle cutter. Love them both and the blades last forever. I have lots of different trimmers, fiskars several differnt ones and others . This is by far the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I have this trimmer and I LOVE it!!! But there is a problem I have with it...I had the blade "scrape" the wire and caused the wire to "fray." Has anyone else had this problem. I contacted Fiskars and I had to take a picture and send it to them and they replaced it. I used it a couple of time and the same thing happened...Contacted Fiskars again and this time I had to send back the damaged one and they sent out a new one. This one was a little different. It has a "leaf" pattern on it and I was told that there was a design flaw in the firs generation one and it has been redesigned and "SHOULD" not be a problem anymore. (I really hate the word should)
In the mean time I went back to my VERY OLD (original gray) fiskars and also purchased the pink and green Provo Craft (el cheapo) from HL. I am scared to use my new Fiskars one. I really don't want to ruin the wire again.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Valerie

BTW...after the first problem I was EXTREMELY careful every time I used the trimmer. I was very slow and I paid particular attention to the amount of pressure and the direction of the pressure and still encountered the problem the second time.

It always seem that I have the ability to pick the "dud" of whatever it is I buying. It does not matter what it is I'm buying...I ALWAYS get the dud...Either it is broken, missing parts or something else. I spend so much time with manufactures and sending things back for exchange or retuning them...very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I think this is the same trimmer that Jennifer McGuire recommends as one of her favorite tools. (Bah, i'm a newbie so I can't post the link yet >.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this trimmer and love it. The only thing is, the blade gets dull almost right on the first cut. I have a piece of paper (just cheap printer paper) that I keep with it, to place under anything that I cut. I think it is just the blade's tip that is dull; the rest of it is sharp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I have several Fiskars and have found that the ones using blade type "F" last much longer than the others. I don't know the terminology, but the type "F" are the cirular blades that revolve while you're cutting vs. the type (as in the pic) that just slice like an Xacto blade. Am I making sense?

Anyway, being one who doesn't like to change blades lots, that's my preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I just bought this one last week, so far it is working great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I have this one and really like it. My only complaint (and it's not the "it doesn't cut straight" one) is that it doesn't fit into my crop bag. I have a tower and the trimmer is too wide. However, I NEVER have to take out the arm to make a basic A2 card and that makes me a very, very happy girl! I used my friend's trimmer (same trimmer, but with a different pattern on front - her's is floral) before buying mine. She loves it and I do too. I also love the locking function. I was so sick of flinging the dang blade whenever I'd move the trimmer! It's also a bit longer (on the cutting surface) than 12", which is so nice as 12x12 paper is often not truly 12x12.

Also, it doesn't work well for ghetto scoring. I'm not taking about the scoring where you use an actual scoring blade. I'm talking about scoring when you shove something such as a bone folder into the middle of the track (while your blade is still in there) to score. There's a metal wire in the track so you can see where you're cutting and ghetto scoring interferes with the wire, or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just received mine earlier this week from 2peas and I'm lovin' it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

It looks like a great trimmer. I only have one concern. I had the other Fiskars that has a plastic rail like this and I had problems getting a straight cut because the plastic rail gives a bit as you cut. So if you (like me!) should lean a bit to one side or the other your cut is not straight. I solved this issue buy getting the Fiskars trimmer (retails for $39.99) at Mikes with a coupon for 50% off that has the METAL rail. This helped me a lot. Others might not be cutting challenged like me. I get a straight cut every time because the metal rail does not "give" when I cut...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes