Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug VS Sizzix Big Shot

I don't know which one to get! Can I use the SU! embossing folders and dies on the cuttlebug? Do I need to buy Standard Cutting Pads and a multipurpose platform with the cuttlebug or does it come with them. The same thing with the Big Shot, if I don't buy it from SU! Do I need to buy the cutting pads and platform seperate?

What are your opinions. I need both sides of the story please.

TIA

Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

No opinons or suggestions, or even anwsers to my questions...please help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only ever owned the CB and I love it! It's probably my favorite tool! I have a very small stamping space so desktop space is scarce. I can set the CB on the floor and easily pick it up to use it (and I use it on nearly every card). I have been able to use all brands of dies and EFs...even the long SU dies (I had to get my demo's husband to shave down the long plate by about 1/4 inch so it would fit the CB). I'd be interested to hear comments from Big Shot users...is there a bigger advantage to the bigger machine?

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both machines come with cutting pads.
I have loved my CB for more than 2 years.....but I've recently bought a Big Shot......LOVE IT!! I can cut and emboss the folders using the same platform in the Big Shot, just adding a thin adapter sheet for cutting the thin dies.
Wish I had gone to the BS first.
Advise to save the cutting pad life.....put several sheets of computer paper between the cutting pad and the cardstock you are cutting. You will go through several sheets of plain ol' paper.....but it's not cutting the cutting pad...works wonders and your cutting pad will last so much longer.
Good luck with which ever one you choose. Both fun and what a difference they make to your projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

The BIGkick or BigShot (same machine, just look different) are much sturdier machines than the Cuttlebug, but yes are a bit larger and heavier in size (reason they are sturdier). Not a big difference in price between BIGkick/BigShot and Cuttlebug if purchased in a store since you can use a coupon and saves shipping costs.

I have both the BIGkick and Cuttlebug and don't use the Cuttlebug anymore. I find the BIGkick much easier to use no matter what die I want to use.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I only have the Cuttlebug and love it. When I'm at my demo's house I always have to have help with the BigShot...I'm not good with machinery, lol. But I do find the Cuttlebug easier to operate and I use a variety of embossing folders, dies, Nestabilities, etc. in mine. I have an extra set of B plates on hand and have only broken 1 in 2 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have both and use both. (I know that probably does not help!) I had the Cuttlebug and purchased my Big Shot after becoming a SU demo because of the rules they set for using competitive products in demos. I think the Big Shot is far sturdier than the Cuttlebug, BUT I really like the Cuttlebug and how easy the sandwiches are to make. I find myself over-thinking the Big Shot sandwiches because of the mutlti-purpose platform. I use all brands of dies in both. I think it really comes down to price if you ask me. (As a SU Demo and if you were my customer, obviously, I'd want you to buy the Big Shot......but as a crafter, I say try both out if you can and see which one feels best to you. You really can't go wrong with with either if you ask me.)

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I bought the Cuttlebug a few years back and use it for everything....love it!! It cuts and embosses all the dies and folders I've needed or wanted. Got it with my Michael's coupon and have saved on all my folders and Nesties I've bought as well. In fact, I've rationalized my savings enough that I bought the Slice to compliment my Cuttlebug!!! I now feel I have the best of both worlds with small, compact, and easy to use machines that I can take with me to classes or crops.

Good luck with your choice now.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

My daughters gave me my Cuttlebug a couple of years ago for Christmas & I love it and use it on almost every card I make. I've used my demo's Big Shot at monthly card club & it seems to operate pretty much the same. I will agree that it is sturdier, but also heavier. That being said, I've used SU's EF & dies in my Cuttlebug without a problem, as well as Nestabilities, Sizzix dies & folders, and see no reason to buy anything else. I'm hoping to pick up some Tim Holtz folders from my LSS with the gift certificates I got for Mother's Day. Everything I've tried to use in my Cuttlebug have worked, except the Fiskars texture plates. My results with those were less than stellar.

I am still on my original "B" plates but do have an extra set since the Nestabilities do scar the plate when cutting. But they are very much still usable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I first bought a CB after Thanksgiving. I had it a couple of years, but I just didn't like the sturdiness of it. I bought a BS with a 30% off coupon at Archivers, and then sold my CB. I like the BS a little better. It is more sturdy, all the instructions are on the multi-purpose platform, and the cutting base is just a little wider than the CB. I found I like using the Sizzix dies better with the BS vs the CB. Don't ask my why. I think it is all about personal choice and storage. I have a friend who just loves her CB, because she has limited space to scrap. Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have both too!!! My fav has to be the Big Shot simply because it is so sturdy and you can cut thru many materials - just this week I cut thru craft foam to embellish flip flops and it made it soooo easy :-)

It is definitely a personal preference kind of a thing - I still have my bug and take it to crops etc as it is compact but if I had to choose only 1, it would be the Big Shot - it has lots more potential and ultimately value for money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Have been following this thread, searched out other threads, but still need directions on the sandwich used for a Sizzix die in a cuttlebug machine. I tried different combinations but the middle of the dies still do not cut out well if a detailed die. Also, don't know he combination for the Wizard either. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

If it is a sizzix bigz die or sizzix original die the sandwich is ;

B plate
Die cutting side up
paper
B plate
If you are having toruble with intricate cuts try running it through, then run it backwards_
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

If you look at the User Manual for the Cuttlebug, it spells it all out in pictures, you don't even have to read to understand the "sandwiches" needed for any kind of die. Just match the die you have with the pictures and it will give you the "sandwich" needed.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I Love my CB and have had it since its release. I have only gone thru 2 B-Plates. I can cut anything and everything with it with any die. I have cut felt, fun foam, fabric, acetate, chipboard and of course paper. I have cut intricate dies like the SB Fleur De Lis without problem you might just need to sometimes shim your sandwich. I would not trade the convenience and light weight CB for something big, bulky and heavy like the BS. If you don't have a place to keep it always set up then CB is the way to go- even-though I have a place where my CB stays set up it isn't necessary nor has it always been that way. DH put in Cabinets and counter top in my craft room this past X-Mas that is the only reason it is always set up now.
Good Luck making a decision

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I had my Cuttlebug about 2 or 3 years, and broke it by using an incorrect sandwich to emboss some Nestabilities. I replaced it with the Big Shot, and really like it.
Reply With Quote Likes