Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Question

I know this may sound stupid, but have any of you all became a Demo just to get the starter kit of stuff? My SU Demo lady and I were talking about me becoming a Demo. And she said I can get the starter kit for $99.00 and not really demo anything. I just wonder if anyone else has done it. What do you all think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I think that it's fairly common during specials. I've heard people call those who do this "kit-nappers" LOL~ said in a very affectionate way. Your demo gets credit for you signing up, and you have no obligation to ever purchase a single thing. It's a win-win situation for you both.

HOWEVER, you get 30% off your first demo order over $150 within 90 days (I think that's the amount) instead of the normal 20%.

If you want to do it, do it.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Lots of people do it! It's a great deal, and they are OK with that, IMO. There are (or were, i'm rather out of the loop lately) many perks to being a demo, whether you actually 'demo' or not!
Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Lots of people do it. Why pay retail? Many folks have different motives for signing up. Mine was to get the discount. Of course, I fell in love everything SU and went into this as a business.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it. Twice! Took advantage of a sale kit, got my first order of $150 30% off and left. Twice. It is an excellent way to stock up on stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Thank you girls so much! I may just do it then. When I get the extra 99.00 that is. I was just worried about the company not letting us do that. Thanks so much again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Unlike other direct sales companies, SU has no requirement that you have any workshop scheduled or held within a certain period of time after you get your kit. Instead, there is absolutely nothing to prevent you from buying the kit and then NEVER doing anything further.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Just so you know the 99 dollar kit is a mini starter kit, and not their normal starter kit on sale. It is still an awesome deal, but I didn't want you to think you would be getting something you won't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Wow, so cool! I have been around the block with a few other companies and they frown on that big time. That was why I was so nervous about doing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmoore3View Post
Thank you girls so much! I may just do it then. When I get the extra 99.00 that is. I was just worried about the company not letting us do that. Thanks so much again!
Yeah, they don't care if you sell or not...I mean they want you to but nothing happens other than you go into pending if you don't meet the minimums and then they just drop you as a demo after that. Pretty painless...

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been speaking to a REALLY helpful Demo in Australia about all this, I originally wanted to sign up just for discounts mainly. But after speaking to her and realising how little you have to sell in a quarter to keep up as a demo im going to do it more seriously plus my stamping buddies & I will prob make up that amount in a quarter anyway lol. (ok who much did that make me sound like a promoter for SU lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Minor thread hi-jack (please forgive me, but I did not want to start another thread)

So, ok - I am thinking about joining again too and I'm looking for another upline. Here's my question - to comply with the IDA requirements, will I need to remove anything in my SCS gallery that is not SU only?

Second, it looks like you can substitute items - does that include any other "new" ink color as I already have the tempting turquoise?

To the original OP - many thanks for letting me post...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

No Problem! Hi-Jack away! We are learning together! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by patintnView Post
Minor thread hi-jack (please forgive me, but I did not want to start another thread)

So, ok - I am thinking about joining again too and I'm looking for another upline. Here's my question - to comply with the IDA requirements, will I need to remove anything in my SCS gallery that is not SU only?

Second, it looks like you can substitute items - does that include any other "new" ink color as I already have the tempting turquoise?

No, you don't have to remove stuff in your gallery. If you have a blog you can't direct people to places where they can purchase non-SU stuff. And yes, most things in the starter kit can be substitute (one ink pad color for a different color, etc.)

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

You absolutely DO NOT have to remove anything made with non-SU stuff in your gallery!! I use nesties and other stuff on my cards. With the new IDA from a while back you are basically promising to not promote any other companies or tell people where to buy non-SU items. You wont put links to your blog saying "XYZ stamps are so great!! I love love love them way better than SU and they are so much cheaper and here is the link to their web store!!" I think thats pretty easy to follow. (And makes perfect sense if you are selling SU and trying to make some money at it, right?)

I signed up exclusively for the discount over 2 years ago. I am embarrassed to say that I have never sold 1 SU thing to anyone but myself and have maintained my demo-ship easily and never even gone into pending. Its not hard for me to spend $300 a quarter, especially with a new catty, then a new mini, then another new mini....LOL

I love basically getting free shipping and paying no sales tax (plus a little more discount) on a product that I love! I still go to Hobby Lobby and Michaels to pick up things that I cant get thru SU or even things (like adhesives) with a 40% off coupon. I dont feel guilty at all! there are enough stamps and accessories and cardstock and paper that SU makes that I want that I can do some bargain shopping for some things and buy SU for other things.

Plus, when you are a demo, you can come chit chat with us on the demo side of SCS and now SU has a Stampin' Connections site and you also get to pre-order things. Right now is an exciting time because in the month of June, you get to pre-order some hostess sets and other things that will be in the new catalog that goes live July 1st.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I know the other gals have answered but I applaud your thinking about doing it now. The $99 kit is a GREAT way to go as it makes coming back in affordable. Just a note.... has it been more than 6 months since you were a demo last? If not, you must wait in order to sign up with another upline. If it's been more than 6 months then you're free and clear to find anyone you want

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Do it! I got my starter kit when it was on sale about a year ago. I didn't sell anything I just wanted to get the kit. My demo bought all of my catalogs and form from me too which was even sweeter! So excited for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Very nice. I think I'm going to do it then. Sounds like a good deal to me! Thanks so much girls for your wonderful input! As well as the advice! I just love this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmoore3View Post
Very nice. I think I'm going to do it then. Sounds like a good deal to me! Thanks so much girls for your wonderful input! As well as the advice! I just love this site!
Welcome back... almost ;-)

And be sure to sign up for Stampin' Connection when you return. It's a new forum created by SU for SU that has taken off like wildfire.

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

What all is included in the $99 Starter Kit?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star StamperView Post
I know the other gals have answered but I applaud your thinking about doing it now. The $99 kit is a GREAT way to go as it makes coming back in affordable. Just a note.... has it been more than 6 months since you were a demo last? If not, you must wait in order to sign up with another upline. If it's been more than 6 months then you're free and clear to find anyone you want
Yes, I resigned when the current IDA changes (Sept 2009) went into effect so I can sign up under a new demo.

Good to know about not having to delete my SCS uploads - that was my point of contention when the changes were originally made. Sounds like there have been clarifications since the initial turmoil.

I still have people calling me to order so it should not be too hard to pick up my former business. Sooo happy to get some of the wonderful colors back and as I hear through the grapevine the new "Pear" color will help me stop pining for Kiwi :-)

Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Yes, I resigned when the current IDA changes (Sept 2009) went into effect so I can sign up under a new demo.

Good to know about not having to delete my SCS uploads - that was my point of contention when the changes were originally made. Sounds like there have been clarifications since the initial turmoil.

I still have people calling me to order so it should not be too hard to pick up my former business. Sooo happy to get some of the wonderful colors back and as I hear through the grapevine the new "Pear" color will help me stop pining for Kiwi :-)
Thanks for all your input!

Not sure I will ever stop pining for Kiwi Kiss but I am getting my pre-order with Pear in it so I will see. I think there can never be enough greens, so for me they could have left all the greens, brought back Kiwi AND brought in Pear! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
Not sure I will ever stop pining for Kiwi Kiss but I am getting my pre-order with Pear in it so I will see. I think there can never be enough greens, so for me they could have left all the greens, brought back Kiwi AND brought in Pear! LOL
We are "green" kindred spirits. Whenever I am out with friends and they spot something that is predominantly green (paper, ribbon, buttons, stickers, yeah pretty much anything), they shout out I must see it "'cause Pat loves everything green" :-) Getting Wasabi back - oh happy day! You all are getting me excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
You absolutely DO NOT have to remove anything made with non-SU stuff in your gallery!! I use nesties and other stuff on my cards. With the new IDA from a while back you are basically promising to not promote any other companies or tell people where to buy non-SU items. You wont put links to your blog saying "XYZ stamps are so great!! I love love love them way better than SU and they are so much cheaper and here is the link to their web store!!" I think thats pretty easy to follow. (And makes perfect sense if you are selling SU and trying to make some money at it, right?)

I signed up exclusively for the discount over 2 years ago. I am embarrassed to say that I have never sold 1 SU thing to anyone but myself and have maintained my demo-ship easily and never even gone into pending. Its not hard for me to spend $300 a quarter, especially with a new catty, then a new mini, then another new mini....LOL

I love basically getting free shipping and paying no sales tax (plus a little more discount) on a product that I love! I still go to Hobby Lobby and Michaels to pick up things that I cant get thru SU or even things (like adhesives) with a 40% off coupon. I dont feel guilty at all! there are enough stamps and accessories and cardstock and paper that SU makes that I want that I can do some bargain shopping for some things and buy SU for other things.

Plus, when you are a demo, you can come chit chat with us on the demo side of SCS and now SU has a Stampin' Connections site and you also get to pre-order things. Right now is an exciting time because in the month of June, you get to pre-order some hostess sets and other things that will be in the new catalog that goes live July 1st.
Sounds tempting, especially since I spend so much on SU anyway. Question - are there any tax implications to being a demo without selling anything to anyone but yourself? Also, what is in the $99 starter kit?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathryn RaeView Post
What all is included in the $99 Starter Kit?
I can only speak to the US Kit.
Here's the list:

Item Description Price 117050
Watercolor Trio stamp set (wood-mount)
$22.95 118571
I {Heart} Hearts stamp set (clear-mount
$18.95 118486
Clear-Mount Block C
$695 116978
Homemade single stamp*
$8.95 100730
Whisper White card stock (8-1/2" x 11")
$8.50 119706
Brights Collection assorted card stock (8-1/2" x 11")*
$6.95 115656
Melon Mambo Classic Stampin' Pad
$5.95 119667
Daffodil Delight Classic Stampin' Pad*
$5.95 115658
Rich Razzleberry Classic Stampin' Pad
$5.95 100814
Tempting Turquoise Classic Stampin' Pad
$5.95 119261
Basic Black 1/8" taffeta ribbon*
$6.95 121620
Color Coach*
$14.95 104332
SNAIL Adhesive
$6.95
Retail value of products in kit
$124.90
*Sneak peek items!

Note that the kit IS customizable so you can swap apples for apples (stamp for stamp or ink for ink).

www.StellarStamps.com

Last edited by craftdoc; 06-05-2010 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: removed link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in IndyView Post
Sounds tempting, especially since I spend so much on SU anyway. Question - are there any tax implications to being a demo without selling anything to anyone but yourself? Also, what is in the $99 starter kit?
We are advised to not try to be tax advisors but the gist of it is that you get a 1099 from SU if your commission for a tax year hits $600. Not the 20% you get as a discount but the volume rebate based on what you sell per month. You need to sell $400 per month to generate any rebate which is 5% so if you sold $400 you earn $20 rebate. That is what we get a 1099 for ONLY if the value hits $600 total for one calendar year. If you get things like cruises and such, the value of those goes on the 1099 too.

Otherwise, if you're a hobbyist, you're not likely to generate a 1099.

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

Wow! You girls/guys are so knowledgeable! I am just so impressed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a question about becoming a demonstrator, I have been toying with the idea for a while and this $99 kit might be my turning point. I only plan on being a hobby demonstrator, but I make and sell cards at a local craft fair once a year, would I still be able to do that if I was a demonstrator?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissHoxView Post
I have a question about becoming a demonstrator, I have been toying with the idea for a while and this $99 kit might be my turning point. I only plan on being a hobby demonstrator, but I make and sell cards at a local craft fair once a year, would I still be able to do that if I was a demonstrator?
Yes. As long as you stamp the backs with an angel policy SU copyright stamp.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissHoxView Post
As Kim said, yes, and what a great way to earn back the cost of the kit!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

What is the current rule about selling handmade cards and stamps on ebay for demos?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

This thread should carry an "enabler" warning - LOL! I had never seriously considered this before, but I am becoming more a d more convinced that is a great idea with no down side. It may also be my only chance to get a sneak peak at the new catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyt99View Post
What is the current rule about selling handmade cards and stamps on ebay for demos?
This is a lengthier discussion that I can offer here right now but for cards, you can sell them on eBay as long as you comply with the Angel Policy.

Stamps can be sold as long as they're retired and "retired" has different meaning depending on two things: is it in the main catalog that is retiring or a mini catalog? When the main catalog ends June 30, all retired are game for resale by a demo. But a mini catalog is different. We cannot resell until one year after the first date the mini became effective. SU sometimes puts mini items into the next catalog so this stands to reason. Let's say a mini begins September 2009 then those items are officially retired Sept 2010.

We can never ever ever sell anything current on eBay. All orders come from SU to the buyer. We cannot buy a stamp set then turn it around and sell it. That'd be "cash and carry". The only thing we can do that with is a catalog. Not allowing inventory is a huge plus for a direct sales company as it protects us financially.

www.StellarStamps.com

Last edited by Star Stamper; 06-05-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I have been at this as a truly "hobby demo" (this is a self imposed name and not the way SU views us at all! meaning I buy only for myself and do not sell at all) for over 2 years now and I have yet to find a downside. Well, okay, spending money is always a downside, right?...but I would be spending it anyways! LOL This way, at least I am not paying any shipping or tax (in my eyes, because of our 20% discount. of course we still pay that but I consider my discount as wiping that out).

I have not reported any income or do anything tax wise with SU because I would be actually cheating the govt if I claimed all the stuff I bought, since I dont buy it for "business purposes" at all. Its just for me and my personal use. I dont hold classes, workshops or even sell my cards (altho I am thinking about it also to start paying for the habit!) so I may keep better track of my crafting expenses from here on out. I have never recieved a 1099 from SU either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

As far as selling our handmade stuff, as long as you use one of the preapproved copyright stamps, you are good. SU sells a set of stamps that has actually 3 stamps in the set that have the SU copyright on there, so any 1 of those can be used on your products for sale.

Now, what you CANT DO (and it makes perfect sense!) is that you cant sell pre-stamped images. Well DUH? Who in the world would buy a set of stamps if you can just buy the images prestamped by someone!? So THAT is an SU no-no! Otherwise, you can sell premade kits (either you include a piece of paper that they can stamp their own image on or you give them the # to the stamp set that you have used for that kit and they can purchase it from you). Many demos who have blogs and sell on blogs have "monthly kits" that they offer, and this can be a great way to generate some income and sales for yourself, if you wish.

As long as you follow SU's Angel Policy, you will be fine to sell your handmade goods. Most stamp companies have an Angel Policy, so SU is not alone in this. Its just about giving credit where credit is due.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Just one quick addition to all the helpful comments. I have signed on twice as a demo (and I am a current demo), for my own purchasing only. If you get dropped (if you don't make your quarterly minimum), you can buy another starter kit and sign up again immediately, if you stay with the same "upline". There really is no downside. And since I've become so hooked on SU's wonderful color coordination of products, I spend very little anymore at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. So I think my spending may even be less than before (or am I trying too hard to convince myself. Either way, I'm a lot happier and I get to see everything ahead of time. Love the new color renovation!

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone know, are the catalogs included the new catalogs or the current catalogs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthansMomView Post
Does anyone know, are the catalogs included the new catalogs or the current catalogs?
You will get the current catalogs now and a box of the new catalogs in July once they go live. GREAT DEAL!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
You will get the current catalogs now and a box of the new catalogs in July once they go live. GREAT DEAL!
And this is the only time annually that this happens (getting double the catalogs). If someone gets a $99 kit with a case of 8 catalogs and can sell them at cost they can recoup about $32. If you then get another case in July free (only to those who sign up in June) you have yet another chance to recoup your kit expense. Some people give catalogs away. Some charge full price. I look at that box of catalogs as a 33% rebate to a kit and I market it as such to my customers ;-)

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by djvdesignsView Post
Just one quick addition to all the helpful comments. I have signed on twice as a demo (and I am a current demo), for my own purchasing only. If you get dropped (if you don't make your quarterly minimum), you can buy another starter kit and sign up again immediately, if you stay with the same "upline". There really is no downside. And since I've become so hooked on SU's wonderful color coordination of products, I spend very little anymore at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. So I think my spending may even be less than before (or am I trying too hard to convince myself. Either way, I'm a lot happier and I get to see everything ahead of time. Love the new color renovation!

Deb
I have downline who have done this too. Not a problem to do it whatsoever. Some simply love being connected and have early opportunities for things and this is one way to make that happen. Good for you, Deb, for sticking with it in this creative way!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes