Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vellum/Embossing

Can you emboss on vellum? If so, any tips I should know about? How do you adhere vellum without it showing through? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Suzie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes I have embossed on vellum. One of the most important things to remember is you don't have to have as much pressure when embossing on vellum. I have punched holes through my paper when I have applied too much pressure.

To not have the adhisive show through I place it in a location where I might put another embellisment on top or along the edge next to the fold where it will not be as noticeable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I happened to think, are you doing dry embossing or wet embossing?? For wet embossing just make sure you do not get your paper too hot! I move my heat gun around the embossed image faster on vellum then I would on card stock. If you paper gets too hot it will warp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I happened to think, are you doing dry embossing or wet embossing?? For wet embossing just make sure you do not get your paper too hot! I move my heat gun around the embossed image faster on vellum then I would on card stock. If you paper gets too hot it will warp.
I want to wet emboss and was afraid of warping or vellum melting. I want to emboss a hummingbird and cut it out but can't figure out where to put adhesive so it won't show. Plan on trying this evening. Thank you for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you can do is to use an all-over adhesive like Xyron or an adhesive sheet. It's much less noticeable if the adhesive is spread evenly all over the back of the vellum instead of in dots or lines. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Paper weight vellum heats very quickly and you need to be super careful. Cardstock weight vellum is much easier for embossing, still heats faster than regular cs but it won't melt as quickly. I use spray adhesive for total stick-ness and often use brads or eyelets instead of any adhesive.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can also try covering a clipboard or piece of cardboard with aluminum foil and laying your vellum on it to heat. The foil will heat as well and that heat on both sides of the vellum will help minimize warping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Let me just share that I've heat embossed on vellum with no warping. However, one at least one piece, the melted embossing powder flaked off the vellum once the piece was cool. I used name brand embossing ink and powder, which melted with no difficulty and all looked well..... until I tried to handle the piece. Apparently, all vellums are not created equal.

This might not be a problem for a scrapbook page that is enclosed in a protective sheet, but was instant death to the card I was working on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I heat emboss on vellum all the time. The trick is to move the heat gun around alot and don't overheat. I've never had it flake off, that's strange. As far as adhering, there is a product made to adhere vellum that works well on light colored paper, not so good on dark cardstock. I don't remember what it is called though, sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies....You can also hand emboss. Stamp the image on the vellum. Turn image over and use your stylus to carefully go over the image pressing with some pressure but not enough to go through the vellum. Do this on a somewhat soft mat as a stamping pad or a couple pieces of craft foam. The image will show as white on the front side. You then can color on the back of the image in your choice of medium. Either leave the image as is or cut out just outside of the embossed image.

This method looks very nice. There is a fancy name for this method....Peragamo (sp?).

I've had the same results with heat embossing as mentioned below at times. Sometimes it works fine with no chipping, sometimes it flakes off in spots. Does look very nice if it stays, though!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've used adhesive roll made just for vellum (from Michael's, I think) with good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been heat embossing on Vellum for several yeasr and I have overheated images a few times, but now it is easy. Just move your heat tool quickly and evenly.

I also use Vellum adhesive on a roll, it rarely ever shows any adhesive. I prefer using brads to adhere my vellum though

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Ladies....You can also hand emboss. Stamp the image on the vellum. Turn image over and use your stylus to carefully go over the image pressing with some pressure but not enough to go through the vellum. Do this on a somewhat soft mat as a stamping pad or a couple pieces of craft foam. The image will show as white on the front side. You then can color on the back of the image in your choice of medium. Either leave the image as is or cut out just outside of the embossed image.

This method looks very nice. There is a fancy name for this method....Peragamo (sp?).

I've had the same results with heat embossing as mentioned below at times. Sometimes it works fine with no chipping, sometimes it flakes off in spots. Does look very nice if it stays, though!

Patti
Hi Guys,

I think what you are talking about is "Pergamano" this is actually a brand name, the craft its self is Parchment Craft and originates from the 13th century when nuns made small cards to give to children depicting bible stories and they were made on velum. The craft is also refered to as lace work because of the very intricate lacy borders that can be achieved by dry embossing, perferating and cutting the velum.

Normally to attache elements to a parchment card all you need to do is choose where you want your element attached and put a very small dot of tacky glue on the element and then place on card, I usually choose a spot on the element that has been dry embossed or has glitter or somthing on it.

Yes you guessed it parchment is my passion and I hope to have more of my parchment cards in my gallery soon, I'm just having too much fun doing challenges at the moment.

Cheers
Marg down under
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I've done it both ways - heat and pressure. When I heat emboss, I clip the vellum to a clip board that I vwrap with foil. The reflected heat from the foil seems to help melt the powder from the back while the heat tool melts from the front. This minimizes the warping of the vellum. It even works wiht card stock, which is an added bonus. I just leave the foil on my clip board for all my heat embossing.

When I run the vellum through my Cuttlebug, I do two sheets at once. This helps prevent the tearing when the texture is added to the paper. you wouldn't think it, but those texture folders have sharp edges to the designs. It works like a charm, and I get projects done twice as fast because I can make two sheets in the same time it takes to do one.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

I would run your humming bird through an Xyron glue (sticker) maker machine because it will give the backside of the vellum total coverage and you wont "see it"

when i do large panels i tend to run it through the sewing machine to the panels, but this when you heat emboss if you get too close to the edge you'll chip some off in the needle and have a little dust to clean up after.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Can you emboss on vellum? If so, any tips I should know about? How do you adhere vellum without it showing through? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Suzie
This link (http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...t-easy_13.html) is to a vellum gift tag...the image was from a Dover book and printed on the vellum with my ink jet printer. Only the black lines are embossed, the flowers were colored with photo markers.

When you want to thermal emboss on vellum, it's important that you use an ink suitable for semi-porous surfaces. Crafters inks are one type of ink that's excellent. Thosetypes of inks ink bond to the vellum, and the embossing powder won't pop off. When regular pigment ink is used for thermal embossing, there's a good chance the powder will pop or flake off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

Patti
Patti, what color and type of ink do you use to stamp the vellum? Do you emboss only the outlines, or the inner spaces as well?
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in HIM. Romans 15:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I got vellum tape made by Scotch. It works great.
Reply With Quote Likes