Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #1  
Swapper of the Month December 2011

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Default SU! My Digital Studio

Hi y'all
Im looking for critiques and opinions about Stampin Up's 'My Digital Studio'. So far Ive heard very mixed reviews. Im trying to decide if i should spend the $80. I do not scrapbook but I do make a lot of greeting cards. Im hoping to hear that this program works great for card making.
Please, anyone, let me know what you think of this product.
Thank you.
Lori, mybugandi45
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a chance to see it in action at my upline's home the other day and also have seen some of the cutest cards made with it. I should be getting mine in this week and plan to use it mostly for cards. From what I seen I think it's well worth the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybugandi45View Post
Hi y'all
Im looking for critiques and opinions about Stampin Up's 'My Digital Studio'. So far Ive heard very mixed reviews. Im trying to decide if i should spend the $80. I do not scrapbook but I do make a lot of greeting cards. Im hoping to hear that this program works great for card making.
Please, anyone, let me know what you think of this product.
Thank you.
Lori, mybugandi45
I got MDS last fall with great fear and trembling. I am not a techo-wiz kid by any stretch of the imagination - anything I do on the computer is HARD!:-D

That being said - I really had a ball with it. I made 3 calendars as Christmas/birthday presents and had so much fun doing it - and I am primarily a card-maker rather than a scrapper kind of gal! I want to do more card-making with it, though. I love how I am able to make hybrid projects - both scrapping and cards. And everything is true-to-size and color.

And I like the option of adding personal photos to cards.

I cannot compare it to any other program, as MDS is the only one I have used. It was easy enough for even ME to use, but it offers enough options for those who may be more advanced IMO.

Could you possibly "play" with someone's MDS to see first-hand what it does and if you would like it?

I have had a blast with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #4  
Swapper of the Month December 2011

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts

Ladies
I value your opinions. Thank you. I am glad to see that there are positive comments coming in. I havent heard a lot of them yet.
Like I mentioned, I am strictly a card maker (for now, anyway) so Im happy that the program does great stuff with cards.
Lori/mybugandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Same here, trying to decide if I should buy one.

Thanks,
Marlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not purchased it. I have definately thought about it but I make so many cards that I dont think it would be a good move for me. I mass produce a lot and it would be pricey I think digitally. I could be wrong...but so far I have not made the move.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am planning on buying it. I am primarily a card maker, but have been trying to do more scrapbooking. My kids are 25 & 23 and I really wished I scrapbooked when they were born, but I didn't. I am hoping to digital scrapbook some of our memories. I am a very slow scrapbooker. I am still working on my daughter's wedding and she's been married almost 2 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Can designs on the design studio be printed at home or does everything have to be ordered and printed by SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
Can designs on the design studio be printed at home or does everything have to be ordered and printed by SU?
No, you are not obligated to get any MDS creations printed by SU! However, SU's printer is set to match the SU! colors, so if having a specific shade (to match wedding colors for example) is important to you, then print through them.

But I have printed through other printing stores (in my city), for both time/cost effective reasons.

But if you want to print cards yourself, it'll be difficult, because MDS does not have a "double-sided" template for printing the outside/inside of a card, and so you'd have to do the math and figure out how to account for the score in the card, etc. before designing your layout and before you printed it. Plus, cards and scrapbook pages take A LOT of ink, so I will not be printing anything at home, cause it's just a waste of ink ($$$).

I love MDS for scrapbooking, because then I don't have to haul out all my stuff, or cut up real pictures to make a layout. I mostly use it for this.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I have been thinking about getting it too. My SU rep has a special on right now too. I was just wondering how easy it was to use and how much space it was going to take up on my computer. Right now I use Paint Shop Pro X and a few other free programs to do my digi pages.
Also If you get them printed through SU can you get 12 by 12 pages done? Right now I only do digi pages for my kids albums in 8.5 x 11. I love traditional scrapbooking for my albums which are all 12x12 but there are times when I would like to combine digi and traditional on my 12x12 pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuxView Post
I have been thinking about getting it too. My SU rep has a special on right now too. I was just wondering how easy it was to use and how much space it was going to take up on my computer. Right now I use Paint Shop Pro X and a few other free programs to do my digi pages.
Also If you get them printed through SU can you get 12 by 12 pages done? Right now I only do digi pages for my kids albums in 8.5 x 11. I love traditional scrapbooking for my albums which are all 12x12 but there are times when I would like to combine digi and traditional on my 12x12 pages.

I just ordered the program (it should be delivered tomorrow!), but as far as I understand, SU does print 12x12 individual pages. Here's the link for the prices and products.

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/15871.asp

Also, I think Costco prints 12x12. It costs a little more from Costco, but no shipping. I did see that SU recommends printing through them if you want to be sure the colors are right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodilynne516View Post
I just ordered the program (it should be delivered tomorrow!), but as far as I understand, SU does print 12x12 individual pages. Here's the link for the prices and products.

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/15871.asp

Also, I think Costco prints 12x12. It costs a little more from Costco, but no shipping. I did see that SU recommends printing through them if you want to be sure the colors are right.
Thanks for the link. Why didn't I think to look on the SU website? :rolleyes:
Now I have one other question. If I wait will MDS have the new colours on it in the new catty? Or will it be exactly the same as it is now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Another thing that is awesome about MDS -

If you have a colour printer, you can print all of the designer papers that are in MDS in colour. So you don't have to BUY the paper packages any more which is sweet because I'd buy a whole package and only use 2 sheets. Now I can just print what I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I really like it after being kind of resistant at first! I was like, why would I need this, I'm a paper crafter?? The main thing I really like is that it's portable, I can take with with me. LOVE being able to use it while say waiting at the airport. I don't scrap a lot but I've done a lot of layouts super quick with it.

AND unlike "real" scrapbooking if I mess something up or don't like something in my design...poof...hit the undo button or delete...no damage done:-)

NOW, maybe I should print some of those pages I've made, LOL!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Why didn't I think to look on the SU website? :rolleyes:
Now I have one other question. If I wait will MDS have the new colours on it in the new catty? Or will it be exactly the same as it is now?
I'm not sure about what colors will be included if you purchase MDS from the new catty. However, I do know that if you have MDS now, the new core colors will be available as a free download!

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

They have said that NO colors or anything will ever retire in MDS SOOOO....no matter when you buy it ALL the colors from here on out should come with it...or you should at least be able to download them. I'm not certain how exactly they will do it but everything will remain current within MDS. Could be a way for those who are upset about the color change to be able to have the colors they want...they could always print a sheet of the color they are missing!!!!

And thumbs up SU for the new color downloads!

Now, I need to go download some stamp sets and stuff...I haven't done that in a long time!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I thought that I read on someone's blog that if you already have a photo program, the MDS uploads will work on it. Let me see if I can find that information just to make sure...be right back.

Ok, here is the post, you need to scroll down and she will explain it for you, hope this helps, she also has tuts on her blog and how to use MDS too:http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...downloads.html

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com

Last edited by craftymomto2; 05-21-2010 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not very digital -- my 7yo DD is much better than I am! But when I saw the sets that are included (Define Your Life, for example) and really looked at the sentiments & ornamental sets, I had to have it! It's definitely worth the money. My uses of it have been definitely hybrid -- I print out the parts I want & then stamp & embellish as usual.

I do adjust colors when printing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I have it and love it. I made my photo Christmas cards with it last Christmas and they were so fast to do and turned out great. I love that I can put any words I want with the picture instead of just the generic few designs and words that are offered through the stores.

Scrapbook layouts are so quick and easy, too!

As others have mentioned, you can also use it to make calendars, flyers, videos with sound, labels, business cards, you name it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jane...can you make dvd's with pictures on it?? My friend does this with Microsoft Movie Maker and was just wondering.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

Yes, Mary, you can make dvd's with pictures on it. Here is a link to the manual for MDS. The information about videos and interactive projects starts on page 65. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

It is SO easy to use and I have seen some really cute cards made with it. I use mine mostly to make flyers/invitations and such for my blog- but I'm hoping to sit down and make a bunch of cards this summer with it. The printing place does a really lovely job, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

is anyone with a MAC using this product? I saw the guide and it said that if you have a MAC and it doesn't install call customer service. this isn't inspiring confidence!!
Just want to make sure that it really functions on a mac!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
is anyone with a MAC using this product? I saw the guide and it said that if you have a MAC and it doesn't install call customer service. this isn't inspiring confidence!!
Just want to make sure that it really functions on a mac!

I use a macbook pro and it installed just fine. It did crash after installing all the components though, some sort of Java error. I restarted my laptop and it worked just fine. I read somewhere that it wasn't quite compatible, but I haven't seen any issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

FYI - there is an update for MDS that fixes a problem caused by the latest Java update (stamps not coloring). I didn't find it off the MDS website, instead I found it through the "Check for Updates" option under the Help menu within the program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you very much for the tip. I am purchasing the program and hope I work through any issues. I know that SU will be good at taking it back if I can't, but I expect to be successful! I'll remember to check for updates when it comes and I install it.
Reply With Quote Likes