Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Which colors to use between July 1st and September.
Use only the the 20 or so colors left until Sept. 2 1.13%
Continue using all in colors that are planning on staying along with the 20 13 7.34%
Use all in colors that are staying along with past in colors that are returning along with the 20 38 21.47%
Use all of the 48 colors and in colors until Sept. then retire them from CC 63 35.59%
Start using new color names July 1 and eveyone just find the best color match 69 38.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: Color Combo Colors!

Hello everyone! I am trying to get a jumpstart on the color challenges to make sure things run smoothly during the summer. With all of the color redo stuff, I feel we need a poll to make sure we are all on the same page. As you all know, SU color names are used each time a color combo challenge is listed, eventhough, SU cardstock is not required. The SU names gives a color reference.

In the past on July 1st, the current in colors retire and new ones are brought in. At this time, retired colors are not used and we resort to the original 48 colors until first Tuesday in September. This 8 week or so period gives everyone who plans to order new in colors the opportunity to get them before new in colors are used in the challenges. However, this year with the color collection redo, we have a few things to clarify for the time between July 1st and Sept. If we retire everything...all in colors and all the current colors set to retire, we only have 20 or so colors left. Not sure good combos can be done with that limited amount for 8 weeks, hence the need for a poll.

So, here are the options I am looking at.......(I am typing the poll number choices here because the actual poll limits the number of letters used so I want to be clear what your choices are)!

If you know of another option that I have not listed, please let me know. TIA!

1. Retire all the in colors and other family colors and wait until Sept 1 to use the new color collection....just use the 20 or so colors.

2. Continue using all in colors that are planning on staying along with the 20 or so other colors

3. Use all in colors that are staying along with past in colors that are returning along with the 20 or so other colors.

4. Continue using all of the 48 colors and the in colors until Sept. at that time they will be permanently retired from color combo challenges...just editing to clarify that the NEW colors will not be included with this option. This is just to give everyone time to get the NEW colors and still have colors to work with.

5. Start using new color names July 1 and everyone just find the color that best works with the name until they actually own it since the colors are for reference points and not require anyway.

II Tim. 1:7

Last edited by gbedwright; 05-17-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

A HUGE thanks to Joanne(sleepyinseattle) for sending me the list of the returning and new stuff! Thanks a bunch!

Here is a list of the carryover colors:
Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Real Red, Regal Rose, Tempting Turquoise, Basic Black and Gray, Chocolate Chip, Crumb Cake (I think this is a new name for Kraft but will have to see it), Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Always Artichoke, Bravo Burgundy, Elegant Eggplant, Garden Green, More Mustard, Night Of Navy, Not Quite Navy, Bashful Blue, Certainly Celery, Perfect plum, Pretty In Pink, Rose Red, So Saffron.

Returning In Colors: Melon Mambo, Pacific Point, Tangerine Tango, River Rock, Soft Suede, Riding Hood Red, Rich Razzleberry, Wild Wasabi, Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze.

New Colors:
Daffodil Delight
Cajun Craze
Early Espresso
Cherry Cobbler
Marina Mist

NEW IN Colors

They have Concord Crush: a purply grape
Poppy Parade: a more orange shade of Real Red
Pear Pizzazz: a more yellowy wasabi
Peach Parfait: a cross between Pumpkin and Guava
Blushing Bride: a darker shade of Pirouette Pink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I voted for Use all of the 48 colors and in colors until Sept. then retire them from CC but only because we won't get our new colours until October with our new catalogue over here in the UK, but I do have all the in colors and returning ones too - couldn't just let you guys have them all to yourself now could I?! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #4  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Betty

I think with so many people using other lines of cardstock now, you really can go whatever direction and be ok. Most people will just sub a close color if they don't have it anyway. The challenges are a "jumping off" point.... don't you think?

Just my 2 cents

I love all your combos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

IMO, #4 offers the best options for the largest number of readers.
Quote:

4. Continue using all of the 48 colors and the in colors until Sept. at that time they will be permanently retired from color combo challenges.

Some of us will have even fewer SU colors once the catalog change takes effect, which equates to more players substituting similar colors eventually.

Keep up the fabulous challenges, Betty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I voted to start using the new color names on July 1. I will really miss some of the retiring colors (Sage Shadow, Close To Cocoa...sigh). But who can wait till Sept? Not me. As sad as I am to see some of the old colors go, I am just as excited to see and use the new.

It would be nice to continue CCs with the the colors that are going bye-bye till the new catty comes out...just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the poll...polls are fun! But whatever you decide to do, I'll play along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is totally different.
Stop using Stampin Up Color names and start using a more general color names, since people that play in these challenges don't necessary play with or only with SU colors with such wonderful quality paper out there like Gina K and PTI. I know I would participate if all the colors won't just in SU names since I haven't bothered buying SU CS because I love Gina K and PTI paper very much.
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Whatever you decide, I will continue to play along. I voted for option number four. I would never have dreamed of putting some of those colors together. And that is the whole point right? To strech out of your comfort zone and try new things.
Keep up the good work!!
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Stop using Stampin Up Color names and start using a more general color names, since people that play in these challenges don't necessary play with or only with SU colors with such wonderful quality paper out there like Gina K and PTI. I know I would participate if all the colors won't just in SU names since I haven't bothered buying SU CS because I love Gina K and PTI paper very much.
Sheena
Many of us do use SU! though and with more generic color names I personally would have a hard time.

I say do Option 4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Really, the 3 CURRENT In Colors that will be staying (Suede, Razzleberry, Melon) should have been included in the "staying list"!

I voted to change over this year just like the last years. Many people still have old In Colors, particularly since we were advised a year ago to keep them. So the 7 returning In Colors many people will still have in their supplies...I do! That really only gives us 5 new colors plus the 5 new In Colors. I don't think that making any major changes in the way the color changes are handled from previous years is really necessary.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I still have some of the old "in" colors that I think are coming back, Yea!, and I would like to use them again/now. For the most part I find colors that are close in whatever brand I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm a bit unclear on the choices but I chose the last one. Colors can be ordered beginning July 1st so people can have them fairly soon after the old colors will have been erased from our memories on June 30. I say "bring 'em on!"
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Sheena

Sheena, there was a poll/vote taken a year or so ago which asked participants if they wanted to still use Stampin Up colors names. It was voted to continue using the color names as only reference points because there are so many shades of the colors it would be difficult to say what color is melon mambo. I personally substitute PTI raspberry fizz for melon mambo because it is so close to an exact match it is amazing. I have not yet...stressing the YET, got any of the Gina K cardstocks. On my wishlist, though. If you know which of these colors work with the SU shades by all means use them. The use of the SU names really is for narrowing down our color specifics. Of course, with all of the new colors coming out I am going to place a big SU order just for all the new colors! What? I cannot help myself really!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisaJaneView Post
I voted to start using the new color names on July 1. I will really miss some of the retiring colors (Sage Shadow, Close To Cocoa...sigh). But who can wait till Sept? Not me. As sad as I am to see some of the old colors go, I am just as excited to see and use the new.

It would be nice to continue CCs with the the colors that are going bye-bye till the new catty comes out...just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the poll...polls are fun! But whatever you decide to do, I'll play along.

Hee Hee! I know I am a bit impatient to start using the new colors myself! I just want a sample of all of them so I can start playing with colors!

To answer your last comment about continuing to use the colors until new catty comes out. That is what I was planning to do. It is the time between new catty and the time line for people getting the new hues that I was concerned with. I do have the new catty release date correct, right? July 1st? I was just assuming July 1st 'cause this was the normal date I thought for release catty in past years. Please tell me it is NOT later?!?!?!? Geez! I want the new colors NOW! I am not whining..really! :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm good with any. I do substitute a lot with other companies, but I think most people understand color in terms of the SU names. Maybe in aother year or so it will be time to ask again?

Anyhow I love the time and effort but into the color challanges and wanted to say I'll be happy with whatever. Even if I don't always do the challanges I'm ALWAYS inspired by the color challanges and the galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

I notice that many blogs incorporate retired in-colors any way...plus PTI and Bazzill are popular...

I think any SU colors (because their names seem most familiar) would work, current or not. Many people use it as a guide, and know they vary it a bit if they don't have the exact colors

oh my...that was wordy! I should go to bed ;)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

I didn't see this option here - I would vote use everything, no need to retire the retiring colors - so many of us have them already and appreciate the chances to use them, strictly business demos can use them as an opportunity to use up their remaining supply and if new folks coming on board don't have a specific clor they can use the next closest thing.

I still don't really relate to the concept of retiring colors, I love ALL of them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

my vote is #4...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 403 Likes on 351 Posts

Betty, I LOVE your color challenges! I usually use substitute colors since I have very few SU colors. I do use the paper color pages in my SU catalog as a guide....knowing that printed color reproduction might be "off". I voted for #4 since I thought I might as well becomed accustomed to the new names and their colors for me to try and match to as best I can. Thanks for the poll! Looking forward to tomorrow's colors! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really do not have an opinion since I usually have to substitute anyway. In light of that, is there any way that some kind of color swatch could be used - as is seen in some of the blog challenges? I often look at my chalk or Stampin' Spots, or at the cards in the gallery - but that does not work with newer colors, and will definitely not work with all the changes. I have no idea how all this is done, but maybe something like a separate gallery post, as in the sketch challenge? Thanks for all you do for this challenge, and for giving participants this input.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know how to vote, I don't really go for the options. To me, I don't care what colors they retire, if I like the color, I'm going to use it, lol. Just because SU decides a thing is so, doesn't make it so. I always thought the colors were more of a suggestion anyway. IMHO I don't think we should be tied to them, just use their list so people can have an idea of the color.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I will be happy with whatever is decided. I am an addict and I will figure it out even if I don't own the color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #23  

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I voted for #5, new colors only starting immediately. I've already gotten rid of all retired product. I say "bring on the new!" I can't wait to see the new combos! I think the sooner we see them being used, the more we will want them. Thanks for your challenges. I love seeing what everyone comes up with! Blessings, Lela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #24  

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I'm down with WHATEVER! But I chose #5 You do a great job Betty, LOVE your color combos!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have voted for number four. Like a few I believe if you don't have the colour you will be able to substitute.
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the new in colours. I think we are going to get the same ones this time round.
Cheers
Marg down under

Last edited by Margscardcrazy; 05-18-2010 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: spelling oops
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 379 Likes on 210 Posts

Betty I voted for #4, but I really don't care. Your color choices are just a suggestion anyway and you do a wonderful job. You sure get me out of my comfort zone at times. I personally use SU, but I will use whatever is available.
Keep up the good work Betty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Betty, I figure, 'whatevah!' I substitute all the time anyway. I wish I had time to play with your challenges more! I think you are doing an excellent job!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I picked C but it doesn't really matter since my mom (slhawes) is a SU demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink

Hmmm... I say use the old and the new colors. People will be able to find similar colors to substitute. And I don't know a crafty person who doesn't have stock!! (Or will be stocking up on favorites, like me!) I, too, am sad to see some of the gorgeous colors be discontinued. I don't know that I can live without Lovely Lilac, Summer Sun, Ballet Blue... Oh, who am I kidding?! How's that old song go.... "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!":p

There's nothing better than spending time with my Savior, my family & my favorite stamps! }i{ Shari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #30  
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

I voted for #5, but I agree so much with Holly....I use way more Bazzil and Prism than I do SU.
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

I voted for the third option, as it happens many of the returning In Colors are ones I liked and stocked up on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

I like the idea of using the new color names (#5), but maybe throwing in a wild card of an old color every once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

I vote for option #5. These colors are guides anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I vote for #5 as many people substitute colors anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I am happy with however you decide to run it. I love using the challenges as inspiration for my cards.

I would say though, I like the idea someone suggested about adding a colour swatch. That way for people like myself who don't own any SU! colours it is easier to see what we can replace them with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Color Challenge Colors

My choice is number 5. Thanks!
CC789   FS695
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Did you decide what to do? I didn't see this poll until today, and it's been closed for a while. I actually hope you go with 4 instead of 5. Many people will not have the new colours for quite a while. 4 gives ample opportunity for new and old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #38  
Loves lavender roses

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

I would pick #5, too! Thanks, Betty!!

I'm a Twisted Sister!
FS147

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I vote for option 5 as well. I think it is just better to come up with more generic names.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

Default Color Poll

Use new colors starting July 1 and everyone just finds the best match.
Reply With Quote Likes