Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Clear Stamps

When the new catalog comes out will all the sets be available in clear mount? Does anyone know if they will have a clear mount demo kit?

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't seen an official announcement about whether "all" stamp sets will be available in the CM, but I imagine most would be. Also, not aware of plans for a CM demo kit option, but stamp sets in the starter kit can be custom-picked, so you could always substitute CM sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing we have heard so far is that the current sets in the starter kit will not be retired, so they are "safe" to choose for new demos that sign up before July. But I imagine the kits will be revamped to accomodate new options/colors/products in July.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

SU gave us demos some FAQ about the clear stamps when they first came out. This is their answer about future catalog stamps.

Most of the new stamps in future catalogs will be available in both wood-mount and clear-mount options. However, the � la carte stamps and Build-A-Bear Workshop stamps will only be available in wood-mount.

Basically it seems that the new sets in the catalog will be available in both clear mount and wood mount but probably the sets carried over not available now in clear mount, won't be. At least that's what I get out of what they say on it.

Not sure about the starter kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stamp sets in the Starter Kit are safe, but double-check (phone call to SU) the paper & ink colors. With so many colors retiring, it would be a bummer to end up with a bunch of paper & ink that will disappear in a couple weeks (if they're not gone already). Perhaps SU will swap out the old colors since the switch/retirement is so close.

Or wait until July to sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

have people been using the clear sets? what's your opinion of them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have more than 12 of the new clear mount sets...and I love them. Love the space savings and the fact I can still use red rubber...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolleyTXView Post
have people been using the clear sets? what's your opinion of them?
I have one set....Tiny Tags and I love it. The pieces are so small, and I read on another thread to keep them in the rubber frame...oh, that just works so great ;) I didn't put the sticker on becuase I've read too many stampers had trouble with them. Mine have been sticking fine w/out the sticker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have not bought any of the SU clear-mount stamps. My demo is very opposed to them, because she thinks it would take too long to mount and unmount, etc. I have another friend who used to demo for another company and quit when they went to clear mount. Considering all this negative input, I have been afraid of them. Can anyone share the pros and cons? I do want to be aware of the cons. Or is there another thread that I could not find that discusses this.

I don't understand how they are stored either. So, any help is appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't used any of the SU clear-mount stamps yet. I have unmounted most of my sets by removing the wood block and "painting" Aileen's Tack-It-Over-and-Over on the foam. The biggest reason I did this was for the storage space. For storage I keep them on pages from magnetic photo albums (over the plastic). I also stamped the sets onto a piece of cardstock. I keep them in bags I found at a comic book store and then in photo storage boxes. I have 3 boxes for about 100 sets.

As far as time to mount and unmount, it takes about 5 seconds. All it takes is pulling the stamp off the block and putting it back on the sheet. I find I can look through my sets and find the stamps I want quicker and easier like this than when I had the cases all stacked.

Hope that helps.

As
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I just started another thread about my trouble with the clear mount sets. I guess I should have done a search on the topic first. My Clear Mount sets wouldn't stick to the case to put them away with the sticker on. They would cling to the clear block fine but not the case. The next set I got I left the sticker off and they worked great. I really did want the sticker on them though. I just like to the see the image while I'm stamping.
I love the SU clear blocks though. They are so easy to hang on to. I will use them with all my other Clear mount stamps from CTMH but I don't think that I will buy any more Clear mount from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I enjoy using the SU! clear mounted rubber stamps. With the sticker on the back of the stamp, I can see exactly what and where I'm stamping, and the sticker has clung well to the acrylic block for me. The only time the sticker may not hold onto the acrylic block is when I'm scrubbing it clean, so I just do it carefully. ... The SU clear mount stamps come in and are stored in DVD cases, so they take up less space on a shelf than the wood-mount stamps.

For me, the hardest part of clear mount stamps is finding the acrylic blocks. I swear they move when I'm not looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my clear mount SU! stamps. I've not had any trouble at all - but I do agree with the above poster -save the rubber the "punch out of" and put that in the case and it makes storing them so easy so they don't slip around in the case. I find it so much easier to line up my images now (I never did use the stamp a ma jig) and the extra space is wonderful. I had stopped buying SU! stamps and gone to other companies that were either clear or unmounted rubber - I'm delighted to be buying SU! stamps again as I love their art.
andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I have not bought any of the SU clear-mount stamps. My demo is very opposed to them, because she thinks it would take too long to mount and unmount, etc. I have another friend who used to demo for another company and quit when they went to clear mount. Considering all this negative input, I have been afraid of them. Can anyone share the pros and cons? I do want to be aware of the cons. Or is there another thread that I could not find that discusses this.

thanks
I didn't think I was going to like them. In fact, I was pretty positive that I was going to frustrated by mounting and remounting them, and that I'd lose a stamp (because it was so small and I'm incredibly messy).

Turns out - I really like them!
Haven't lost one yet, even using them in workshops!
the mounting part is actually really easy - and with the sticker on, it's not so critical to get them aligned exactly straight on the block - I just 'slap' mine on and then use it!
I'm really surprised by how well they work.

The drawback - once the sticker is on the back, they don't stick to the inside of the DVD case as well. Not as big a problem with the big stamps - but with little ones (like Tiny Tags), I just kept the 'slab' they came in. But I like having the sticker to orient the stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I love the clear mount stamps. I am blind in one eye and have trouble with judging distance, etc. The clear mount make it easier for me to see exactly where I am stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
For me, the hardest part of clear mount stamps is finding the acrylic blocks. I swear they move when I'm not looking!
All but the two largest blocks fit together into one of the extra-long clamshell cases (had an extra from consolidating one of my big sentiment sets into a smaller case), so until I get my spare room where I can organize everything the way I want, that's how I'm storing mine!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
All but the two largest blocks fit together into one of the extra-long clamshell cases (had an extra from consolidating one of my big sentiment sets into a smaller case), so until I get my spare room where I can organize everything the way I want, that's how I'm storing mine!
Good idea. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 847 Likes on 280 Posts

I have the stickers on all of my clear mount stamps adn i don't have any problem with them sticking to either the block or the case. i just huff on the block (like i'm fogging my glasses to clean them) and put the stamp on. I press firmly for a few seconds and i'm good to go. i do the same thing when i'm putting them back in the case...haven't had any come loose yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I have the stickers on all of my clear mount stamps adn i don't have any problem with them sticking to either the block or the case. i just huff on the block (like i'm fogging my glasses to clean them) and put the stamp on. I press firmly for a few seconds and i'm good to go. i do the same thing when i'm putting them back in the case...haven't had any come loose yet.
I haven't had any problems with mine sticking to the block or the case, either. It does take a few seconds of holding it there (I think that's in the instructions, because I wouldn't have come up with that on my own). I love them! I had pretty much stopped buying SU stamps because I like the clear ones so much better. But I'm really happy with the CM SU stamps I've gotten!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I love 'em! The storage savings is amazing. I store them like others have said with the rubber sheet that they came in, stuck to the case. Then I can see where the stamps go and they stay right where they are placed. I love being able to see where I am stamping. The only stamps I would be concerned about getting in clear mount are very tiny stamps, because they are a little more difficult to keep on the block when cleaning in the stampin' scrub. I love being able to create a scene on a big block and stamp multiple copies of it. When 2-step stamping, you can see exactly where the second stamp should go. I will be getting most of my stamps in clear mount from here on out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have purchased a few clear mount sets from SU and love them so far! A
friend of mine first put the stickers on hers the way the directions say and
they curled. So - we started leaving the white paper on the back of the stamp
and just putting the sticker on that. They do not curl for us anymore. Anyone
else have trouble with them curling with the sticker on them?? I do leave the
stamps in the rubber holder in the case and that works really great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought I would never, ever,....EVER like clear stamp sets better than wood, but I LOVE them! I haven't had any trouble with the stickers on the back of mine. I did use the tip about mounting the surrounding rubber on the inside of the box. That way the individual stamps don't fly around everywhere. I also like that you can see at a glance if all of your stamps are in the box.

I also LOVE the clear blocks. SU's clear blocks are by far the best I have ever tried. (I'm not a demo,...so I'm not selling anything. This is just my opinion.) My mom and I bought a cute desk organizer box on sale at JoAnn's to keep the clear blocks front and center on our craft tables. The one I bought will also hold my scissors, glue, and bone folder. It's no biggie to mount the stamp on the clear block to me, and the added storage room more than makes up for it. Also, I am thrilled with how you can see exactly where you are placing the stamp.

Sooo, as for me,....I'll be buying the clear mount option from now on. I give it two thumbs WAY WAY UP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

OK. Maybe I should get the clear stamps. I would only like to buy two of the acrylic blocks. So, what are the two most common sizes that you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Do the sets come in a case? Why do they have "bulk clear mount cases" to buy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Do the sets come in a case? Why do they have "bulk clear mount cases" to buy?
A lot of people are converting their existing wood-mount stamps to unmounted, so the option of buying additional cases is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

thanks
Oh my gosh! Here's the thing, it takes a split second to pull the stamp from its' case and put it on the block. All that time you spend eyeballing where you're going to stamp or using a Stamp-a-ma-jig? Saved! There are minor issues that resolve themselves with time, practice and use. SU has honestly combined the best features of clear stamps with their own red rubber. I love clear stamps because I can never tell what I'm doing when I use the wooden stamps and I end up having to give it at least two tries. I love my SU stamps but they are taking up A LOT of room. I can fit several cling mounts in the space of a few wooden mounts. Plus, the best feature of all, SU's stamps have an awesome quality when it comes to that red rubber and the clear stamps out there don't always have that same result. When I first started using clear stamps a few years back, no one told me that I needed a mat underneath of my cardstock. When I learned that, I also learned that you had to be careful that your foam mat wasn't damaged in any way or it would ruin your stamped image. That's not a worry at all with SU's clings. You stamp just like you would with your wooden blocks, you just get to see what you're doing! Tell your demo that you'd like to see the stamps in action, it's not really fair that her preference is going to prevent you from making a decision for yourself. I really think you'll be surprised and happy with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

If the new catalog has Teeny Tiny Wishes as clear stamps, would you buy them; or are they in the category of too small for cleaning, as was talked about, and therefore undesirable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another one who has NO PROBLEMS with the clear mount stamps (stickers are on every single one) sticking to the cases or the blocks...not sure why some have problems. I love love love the clear mount option.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I too, totally love everything the clear mount stamps have to offer. Love the space saving, ease of lining up stamped images, and the clear blocks are awesome.

In God We Trust!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Default Storing Ums

I just buy the jewel cases from Staples in a huge pkg pop out the cd disk piece and whala a place to store my ums. I unmounted all my SU stamps this year and the rest of my stamps in 2008...I have been stamping since 1992 and have over 1000 stamps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

I unmounted all of my wood stamps about 4 years ago and love it. I have some of the cheap acrylic blocks, some from CTMH that I really liked but I think Stampin Up went above and beyond with their blocks. I have all of my stamps in cd jewel cases that take up about 3/4 of a shelf in my cd/dvd rack....spools of ribbon the rest of the way. LOL

"It is easier to be critical than correct"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I wonder about unmounting. The stamps on wood were not designed to take on and off an acrylic block, so how does that even work without them losing their stick or being torn apart by continually taking them off and on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Unmounted all the way baby!!! No more wood mount for me. Cling mount, clear mount, whatever you call it, it's the best!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I wonder about unmounting. The stamps on wood were not designed to take on and off an acrylic block, so how does that even work without them losing their stick or being torn apart by continually taking them off and on?
I use the aleene's tack it over and over. Once it is dry you can peel it off and stick it on your blocks. I did have to reapply it on a few of them recently bit it wasn't too bad

"It is easier to be critical than correct"
Reply With Quote Likes