Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to become SU consultant questions...

I was just thinking about becoming a SU consultant and wanted to know if anyone can answer a few questions? I would like to do this to support my hobby mainly and I was wondering if there are others that do this..I also want to know about the benefits of joining rather than buy from a individual. Do you get alot of free stamp setes and other discounts?

Kristie
Please help me dicide
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default Freebies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by awayoflife
I was just thinking about becoming a SU consultant and wanted to know if anyone can answer a few questions? I would like to do this to support my hobby mainly and I was wondering if there are others that do this..I also want to know about the benefits of joining rather than buy from a individual. Do you get alot of free stamp setes and other discounts?

Kristie
Please help me dicide

The start upkit with scrappers sopplies costs 261.00, you receive a 20 % discount on merchandise ordered. Although on your first order placed you so receive an extra ten percent. K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the quick reply. Are you with SU? and if so would you say it was worth it to join just for my hobby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I joined to support my hobby. I think it is worth it. I've earned lots of free sets from promotions. The discount helps out a lot. I can get a lot more stuff from the income I make off of people's orders than if I were to just buy as a customer. I recommend it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the help. That is what I wanted to really hear. I just think that since I spend so much anyway I should just sign up. I am currently with CTMH and like it alot for the paper kits but the CTMH has so many cute stamps..

Thank you
Kristie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Signing up to be a SU demo to support your habit is something you need to consider carefully. If you don't have a small base to take orders from, it's a quite a financial commitment (after the discount, roughly $80/month + shipping and taxes). I joined SU because I wanted the discount and choose not to sell to anyone.

I, personally, don't think that you get more free sets as a demonstrator than as a customer when you're just purchasing stuff for yourself. True, SU has nice benefits for demos, but those are largely based on great sales or recruitment. All the free sets I've gotten in the past year, I would have gotten regardless of whether I was a demo or a customer. As a demo, I paid slightly less.

I've been with SU as a customer for 4 years and a demo for about 1 year. To me, the trend for SU is to reward the demos who are determined to increase sales and recruit, as is their prerogative. Increasing sales and recruitment was a big part of Convention, and from what I've heard about Leadership, it's definitely where SU wants to put their money.

For me, the primary benefits of SU is the discount and the ability to pre-order. Stampin' Success magazine is pretty nice too. Design-wise, I like most of SU's stuff better, and I really like their colors. So far, it's been worth it to me to stay with them as a demonstrator, but I will admit, since I don't have anyone to sell to, sometimes making the minimums myself is hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have even a couple friends who stamp, or if you have been a hostess before, then chances are you will be able to meet your minimums fairly easily. The quarterly quota is $300, which is roughly one workshop's worth. So if you demo one workshop to your friends each quarter, very little of the quota will have to come out of your pocket. If you've been a hostess in the past, you can still be one and be the demo at the same time. Some women prefer to start a club with their friends (10 people commit to spending $15 per month, or 8 at $20 , or 6 at $25, for as many months as their are members). Each member gets to be the hostess once and you, the demo, gets your quota met without putting any of your own money in.

If you truly only want the discount for yourself and have NO desire to get orders from friends or find even a few customers, then I would say that you should only sign up if you can afford this. $300 per quarter (yes, you get a discount, but once you add in s&h and tax, that puts you right back up there generally).

If you get into it and decide it is not for you or that you can't meet the quota, then you just drop. You don't have to give anything back. All the products in the starter kit are still yours.

Benefits other than the discount:
Monthly Stampin' Success magazine with ideas, techniques and business tips.
Quarterly OnStage magazine, highlights demonstrators and artwork that have won SU-sponsored contests
Ability to attend Regional and National training/conventions.
Access to Demo side of SU site, with templates, samples, etc.
SU mails you a mini catalog at the start of each quarter, and a complimentary IB&C each July.
Sales incentives (currently anyone selling $300 per month for each month of a quarter will receive a free stamp set valued at $24.95 or less after that quarter).
Ability to order when you want and to preorder upcoming mini sets a month in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much for the advice and I guess that what I really need to think about is if I can afford it on my own. I might have a few orders come in every now and then but I would like to go into this with only depending on my purchases in case no one orders. Thank you all and I will think about it long and hard first.

Thank you
Kristie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 09:11 AM   #9  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I am a hobby demo but try to have 1 workshop a quarter so that I don't have to come up with the minimums myself. It has worked for me as I just celebrated my 1 year as a demo with SU
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I joined to support my hobby also and luckily I have a few friends that love SU so they order through me and with them I easily make my quotas and get lots of goodies. I also have co-workers that order through me. All I had to do was start giving out my homeade Birthday cards and once all the ladies saw them they went crazy over them and wanted to learn how to do them and from there it's just blossomed.
Think it over carefully. I was worried too but now I know that I made a great decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

i joined just for my hobby too. you save right from the start because the items you get i the starter kit are $69.85 off if purchased seperatly, not even including the order forms and catalogs, and if you add the stampn memories kit, thats 40% off the catalog price, so even if you were just a demo for a while you already saved alot, but you'll get hooked and be one for a long time! i try to have one stamp camp a quarter to meet my minimuns, that way i never feel like i HAVE to buy anything, but i bet i would come pretty close to my minimums on my own, or with my sisters orders. and you earn points twords free merchandize called "great rewards". i have earned the crafters tool kit and a spectrum pad.
one thing no one ever mentioned to me about being a demo is the monthy magazine that we get. it's called stampin success and it has so many great ideas and color combos and templates. i am always excited to get it each month. and i have a monthy "shoe box" with my upline that is fun. i think you would realy enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty sure that I will do and see how it works out. Sorry if this is a crazy question but what is a "shoe box"?
thanks

Kristie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

sorry, i should have explained "shoe box". my upline has a once a month meeting at her house, and a once a month "shoe box" get together for everyone under her. everyone who attends shoebox brings a project, rules are it has to be demonstratable in 10 min or under, has to use SU current products. we bring enough so that each person gets to make one, packed up in a shoebox. then we sit around the table and trade shoeboxes. as you finish with your project, you get another one, and the boxes go around the table until everyone has made each of the projects. its fun, we get to be see new projects and ideas, and use stamps sets that we might not have, build up our gallerys, see projects from the customers eyes a bit too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #14  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by awayoflife
Thanks for the help. That is what I wanted to really hear. I just think that since I spend so much anyway I should just sign up. I am currently with CTMH and like it alot for the paper kits but the CTMH has so many cute stamps..

Thank you
Kristie
Just a side note-did you mean you bought CTMH or you are a CTMH consultant?
If you are a demo/consultant for CTMH you cannot also demo for SU-it is considered a conflict of interest b/c you are selling competing products.
If you sign up to be an SU demo you can still purchase stamps from any company you would like, but cannot sell for 2 differing companies. ;-)

Reply With Quote Likes