Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grunge Board vs. Grunge Paper

Does anyone know how the Tim Holtz Grunge Paper compares to the Grunge Board? Also is there something else that is similar to the Grunge paper? THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'll send this to Beate - she's an expert! But grunge paper is very soft and velvety and flexible. It's thicker than cardstock, but much thinner than Grungeboard - it's what she used to make the dimensional flowers in the tutorial (here) this week.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Sweet RN (08-29-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #3  
neglecting the kids and housework

I'm not sure how close you are to an Aaron Brothers but they carry both so you can see touch feel them :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate
Default I love both products!

Grungeboard and Grungepaper are made out of the same material. The only difference is that Grungeboard is about double the thickness as grunge paper.

Both Grungeboard and Grungepaper can be sanded, painted, dry embossed with embossing folder sanded and die cut.

I like to use the paper for the flowers as well as stamping on it directly and cutting images out to use on cards. Grungeboard is great for 3d projects or cards as well.

In my opinion you should have both! ;)

Hugs and smiles

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #5  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing for later.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I used both recently at some workshops with Tim Holtz.

The grungepaper is thinner, and well, more papery (if that's a word). It is easier to die cut and pierce/sew, and I believe sewing machine friendly. You can still mold it, color it, etc. the same way, but it did seem to me to be slightly more pliable. I seem to recall Tim saying something about peeling the layers of the paper apart to do some cool effects.

If you have or are considering his Texture Fades, he noted that they are very deep impressions (way deeper than CB folders) and that they were designed to work with Grunge Paper.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't think there is a similar product on the market yet. Here's a random fact - did you know that water will not hurt Grungeboard and you can't burn it? I remembered those things from a class I took from Tim a while back.

If you'd like Grungeboard sheets and/or letters, Tuesday Morning has had some in stock. Depending on how fast your store gets picked over, they may still have some. I found some last week at mine even though it's a very busy store (it's their HQ store) and it's been out for weeks. If you don't like the texture, you can always change it. Grungeboard holds the last impression, so all you have to do to change the texture is run it through your machine with a different impression plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Sweet RN (08-29-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
I don't think there is a similar product on the market yet. Here's a random fact - did you know that water will not hurt Grungeboard and you can't burn it? I remembered those things from a class I took from Tim a while back.

If you'd like Grungeboard sheets and/or letters, Tuesday Morning has had some in stock. Depending on how fast your store gets picked over, they may still have some. I found some last week at mine even though it's a very busy store (it's their HQ store) and it's been out for weeks. If you don't like the texture, you can always change it. Grungeboard holds the last impression, so all you have to do to change the texture is run it through your machine with a different impression plate.
I was actually about to ask a question about what I highlighted in blue. I got a bunch of the Grungeboard at TM and was thinking about turning some of the letters into bag tags for my DS's outdoor bags but didn't know how they would hold up if they got rained on. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
dollsndogs (11-17-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #9  

Quote:

The urge to go outside and set my Grungeboard on fire is overwhelming

Thanks - I didn't know either of those, but Love the water resistant feature!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK ALL of YOU!!!! This is exactly what I needed! My Tuesday morning does still have some GB packs, I was there yesterday, I will be there today also :rolleyes:... The Flowers Beate mentioned is what prompted the research can't wait to make some! A bit off topic but MY TM also had everything that was in the last couple ads plus some great Heidi Swapp packs with yummy yummy products in them, not many of the HS left so I am gonna go back and get some more items especially the Grunge Board. Does anyone know if the Tim Holtz embossing Powder tins will hold the Distress Ink pads? They still had about 10 of those left. FYI the tins and jars with the flowers and butterflies (can't remember brand) that were in the add seemed a bit cheesy, definately not the same quality as Prima even at $1.99, so I passed. Thanks again to my all knowing SCS family!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post

LOL. I actually asked Tim about that after class as I wondered if it would char. He said he'd tried it and it wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I was actually about to ask a question about what I highlighted in blue. I got a bunch of the Grungeboard at TM and was thinking about turning some of the letters into bag tags for my DS's outdoor bags but didn't know how they would hold up if they got rained on. Thanks for the info.
If I remember correctly, it'll get wet, but when it dries it won't change shape. So, it doesn't absorb water and expand like chipboard. What's really weird is it's completely made of paper. I have no idea how they made it of paper and changed so many properties of paper! (and made it smell like leather)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK ALL of YOU!!!! This is exactly what I needed! My Tuesday morning does still have some GB packs, I was there yesterday, I will be there today also :rolleyes:... The Flowers Beate mentioned is what prompted the research can't wait to make some! A bit off topic but MY TM also had everything that was in the last couple ads plus some great Heidi Swapp packs with yummy yummy products in them, not many of the HS left so I am gonna go back and get some more items especially the Grunge Board. Does anyone know if the Tim Holtz embossing Powder tins will hold the Distress Ink pads? They still had about 10 of those left. FYI the tins and jars with the flowers and butterflies (can't remember brand) that were in the add seemed a bit cheesy, definately not the same quality as Prima even at $1.99, so I passed. Thanks again to my all knowing SCS family!!
Aw man! We didn't have tins at my TM! I don't know if the pads will fit, but there may be one that's open that you can use to check the measurements. If you forget a ruler/measuring tape, they usually have a sewing ruler for sale around that section (at least at mine they do) so you can borrow it to double check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I think they'd be okay, especially if you paint them. Tim told us they were resistant, but not waterproof. I don't think they tested them over time either, so I'm guessing that they'll hold up. I bet they'd be fine though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I just bought some Grungeboard from Aaron bros yesterday & found out that my Nesties will not cut through it (using Cuttlebug). My cuttlebug dies & Sizzix Original dies will cut through Grungeboard. I need to try his thinner Grunge Paper.

Aaron brothers has a 40% coupon good til 5/9:
http://www.aaronbrothers.com/coupons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I called a couple Aaron Bros here in AZ and they all said they do not carry GB. So frustrating when one store sells something then another location doesn't. Or maybe the folks I talked to were not familiar with GB and didn't bother to check. They are all VERY far from me so I don't want to take the time and gas to check myself. I will check out the website, I appreciate the link.

Also if any of you want me to pick up some of the items at Tues. Morn and ship them to you I am more than happy to as long as you cover cost and shipping...Just PM me with which items you are looking for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vina82View Post
I just bought some Grungeboard from Aaron bros yesterday & found out that my Nesties will not cut through it (using Cuttlebug). My cuttlebug dies & Sizzix Original dies will cut through Grungeboard. I need to try his thinner Grunge Paper.

Aaron brothers has a 40% coupon good til 5/9:
http://www.aaronbrothers.com/coupons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Good idea! I would have never thought of that... :rolleyes:

Quote:

Aw man! We didn't have tins at my TM! I don't know if the pads will fit, but there may be one that's open that you can use to check the measurements. If you forget a ruler/measuring tape, they usually have a sewing ruler for sale around that section (at least at mine they do) so you can borrow it to double check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #18  
SCS RAK Coordinator

My Joann's has a grungepaper... I just bought some today and was able to use a coupon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Grunge Paper

I'm not new to stamping, but have not heard the reference to grunge paper. What is this? I'm guessing maybe reusing newspaper, book pages, recycled paper?

Thnx.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Its a product manufactured under the Tim Holtz line, its thicker than cardstock but not as thick as chipboard - and it has an almost rubbery texture to it. Let me also add that I LOVE this stuff, it takes ink really well and you can shape it a bit (like the flower tutorials).

It has a light gray color to it, and you can also buy grunge chipboard - which is thicker. And the distress inks really blend and come to life on this stuff!

Here's a project I did using grunge paper ...
http://bellacarta.typepad.com/rebecc...last-hhh-.html

If you google Tim Holtz, or Wendy Vecchi, you'll see all kinds of samples

Last edited by rgrohall; 05-06-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #21  

There was a great thread about this today. It's here and I will merge this thread

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default Grunge

OK I get it. It's textured from looking at Becca's work. I'm overwhelmed now with supplies and materials I had to have, so I will to use, purge, or otherwise reduce what I currently have. It's so easy to go to the dark side with this hobby . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BWAHAHA....just like a crafter...don't tell me I can't do something, I'll go and make it so!

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasherView Post
OK I get it. It's textured from looking at Becca's work. I'm overwhelmed now with supplies and materials I had to have, so I will to use, purge, or otherwise reduce what I currently have. It's so easy to go to the dark side with this hobby . . .
HA! The "dark side" sure is fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Good morning! Ok I went out last night to Tues Morn and hit the Grunge Board Jackpot. They only had different textured board but they were full sheets not punch outs(clear as mud huh) anyway they were $7.99 for two packs these would be $9.99 for ONE pack in the LSS, YAY ME! I also went over to J's nad much to my surprise (because they don't usually get anything until it has been out 9 months to a year) they had Grunge paper in approx 6x12 sheets 6 in a pack for $4.99. They also had a couple stes of Nesties and you could use a coupon. All that said I came home all excited to make some of the dimensional flowers and realized I didn't have a 6 petal flower :( I do have several of the nestie flowers and just tried with those. They work ok but i see why a 6 petal would be much easier. A couple questions for you BRILLIANT ladies...

1.I covered my Grunge paper with pages from an old book then ran the dies through my Wizard and it did not cut all the way through, any suggestions?

2. Can I run a Sizzix BigZ dies through my Wizard? If so what is the sandwhich?

3. Where can I get the BigZ dies Tattered Flowers for of course the best deal?

Thanks for ready my Friday morning ramblings!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Good morning! Ok I went out last night to Tues Morn and hit the Grunge Board Jackpot. They only had different textured board but they were full sheets not punch outs(clear as mud huh) anyway they were $7.99 for two packs these would be $9.99 for ONE pack in the LSS, YAY ME! I also went over to J's nad much to my surprise (because they don't usually get anything until it has been out 9 months to a year) they had Grunge paper in approx 6x12 sheets 6 in a pack for $4.99. They also had a couple stes of Nesties and you could use a coupon. All that said I came home all excited to make some of the dimensional flowers and realized I didn't have a 6 petal flower :( I do have several of the nestie flowers and just tried with those. They work ok but i see why a 6 petal would be much easier. A couple questions for you BRILLIANT ladies...

1.I covered my Grunge paper with pages from an old book then ran the dies through my Wizard and it did not cut all the way through, any suggestions?

Suggestions :-) for # 1

Maybe cut the old book pages separate from the grunge and then adhere the two pieces together.

Or try running it through your machine a couple of times ..... rather than once.

And you can try to see if you have different results using the die cutting side face up or face down (sometimes that makes a difference).

You can also try adding a piece of cardstock within the sandwich (plate, die, the grungeboard, old book pages,*scrap cardstock*, top plate). I find with some of the dies that also emboss, or if I don't get a clean cut, that a scrap piece of cardstock within the stack helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasherView Post

If you send me a PM (private message) I'll send you a piece of the grunge paper so that you can try it ... just as a RAK (random act of kindness). There are an overwhelming amount of supplies out there :-) aren't there ?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

What is the best die machine to cut grunge board? I have several machines and would like to know which one works the best on the board. I assume the grunge paper is easier to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #29  

I've only used my Big Shot for both and it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

According to TH's book (new one-composium something something) he said it's better to attach the paper TO the Grunge first.... use a paste (cant remember the name) but it's sold by the same gal he frequents and makes the sticky canvas paper. THEN run it through the machine. I use the Big Shot Express and it cuts like likety split!!!!

Tattered Flowers (Stigmom) I got from StampersAnonymous... I compared it with the costs of my LSS and it was a wash!!!! between shipping and my taxes it's all the same! StampersAnonymous is also THE place to get TH products!!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
According to TH's book (new one-composium something something) he said it's better to attach the paper TO the Grunge first.... use a paste (cant remember the name) but it's sold by the same gal he frequents and makes the sticky canvas paper. THEN run it through the machine. I use the Big Shot Express and it cuts like likety split!!!!

Tattered Flowers (Stigmom) I got from StampersAnonymous... I compared it with the costs of my LSS and it was a wash!!!! between shipping and my taxes it's all the same! StampersAnonymous is also THE place to get TH products!!!!! ;)
I love my Big Shot - it cuts EVERYTHING!

(And I think you're referring to Claudine Helmuth. I've used her sticky canvas but didn't know she makes a paste, too!).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post

My bet on the "paste" is Gel Medium. That's what he tends to use. It's thicker than Mod Podge and works essentially the same, though it doesn't get the paper as wet so the paper won't bubble like it will with Mod Podge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

I recently went to a workshop and we stamped the words onto it first using a background stamp and stazon. That way you don't have an extra layer.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (08-30-2021)
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

You can really easily make your own 6 petal flower. That's what I did. I checked out the sizzix.com site & looked at the same die tim showed on his 12 Days of Christmas grunge flower. I think it's called flowers #5.
I got my Tattered Flowers die from Your Paper Pantry at http;//www.yourpaperpanty.blogspot.com They have the Tm Holtz bigz dies for $14 each. I got great service. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Could watercolor paper be used as a substitute? If not, where is the best place to purchase the Grunge Paper and Distress Inks?

TIA!!
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Ok, hubby took this as a direct challenge to his fire starting abilities! :rolleyes:
He managed to get it on fire - but he had to use a hand-held torch! And the *smell*! Oy!

I have found both grunges in HL and Archivers. Doable with a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (08-30-2021)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No need to attach paper, just paint or ink it. It is the coolest stuff! If you don't have a Tues Morning, you can get Grungeboard at Michaels or AC Moore with a coupon. You can cut grungepaper in your Cricut too, you just need a new mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
subbing for later.....
is there a place i can go to see grunge paper? Is there some in the gallery? if it stinks, why would you want it?? What does it do that other cardstocik does not do?

Why is the font so tiny when writing here, but when it is posted it is much bigger. Do others write better when they can't see what they are writing?What is the point of a tiny font for writing here? Aren't there enough wrinkles in life without throwing tiny fonts into the mix?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeateView Post
Grungeboard and Grungepaper are made out of the same material. The only difference is that Grungeboard is about double the thickness as grunge paper.

Both Grungeboard and Grungepaper can be sanded, painted, dry embossed with embossing folder sanded and die cut.

I like to use the paper for the flowers as well as stamping on it directly and cutting images out to use on cards. Grungeboard is great for 3d projects or cards as well.

In my opinion you should have both! ;)

Hugs and smiles
Beate, didn't you leave us for a few years? Are you back to stay?
WELCOME HOME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Too bad Tim Holtz doesn't have any grunge board or paper. My Tuesday Morning doesn't have any. Gotta have it because I am so sad that my big 3D folders project I put off for a month to read up on them and get a feel for how they should look, but couldn't find any finished projects in the gallery here. I thought they would be on every card, but I must be late to the party or maybe they aren't the be all an end all I thought they would be. Maybe grunge paper would make the impressions deeper?
Reply With Quote Likes