Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you're a mom...

when do you stamp or do crafty things? i almost alwasy do it after my son goes to bed, but then that doesn't leave me much time to do anything else since i like to get to bed by around 11, although lately it's been more like 12, then i wake up like a zombie.

do you have other moms come over, and stamp together while your kids play? what do you do? i have one friend (cookielou) here that comes over once in a while to stamp, but every 10 min. it's like i hafta give them snacks, stop a fight, turn the tv on, etc. i don't mind, but why can't they just sit quietly and read or something? :lol:

....only 16 years til i am free to stamp whenever i want :oops:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

If I want to get anything done I usually do most of my stamping when the kids go to bed, I have an 6 and 8 year old. By 9:00 I'm in the basement and usually stay there until 1 or 2 am!

When I make it down there during the day I have a table to up for my children that has their own crafting supplies. They can work on their crafts while I do mine. I have to say though I usually don't get much done, I'm always end up helping them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default we've tried

My neighbor and I used to spend Friday nights together scrapbooking!

Our children were all close in age (mine 6,3 hers 6,2mths) but it got to crazy it's like they all got to comfortable we'd be breaking up fights and arguements constantly!

So we thought now that our husbands are home again maybe on night the guys and children will get together and watch movies while the two of steal the other house to scrap!!!!!

Doubt it'll last long but it's worth the shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

My daughter is 5 and LOVES to stamp with me. I usually let her pick a set and one ink pad and she will stamp for a while. The only thing is she is a perfectionist and hates to mess up, so every now and then I have to help her, but for the most part she is fine with that. It sounds like your little one is smaller and they ARE tougher to handle when you're trying to stamp. Have you tried putting in a movie..or letting him color while you stamp? If he likes to color maybe you could stamp him some pages and let him color them. Just an idea!

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I completely understand!!! I have a 17 month old who has no idea how to stay still. I usually use his nap time to do chores around the house. When he is awake he wants to be outside or playing with mommy. I usually take some time for myself in the evening after dinner and after hubby gets home. When hubby is spending his quality time with our son then I sneak up to my craft room and get things done. I also get together once a month with some friends...none of which have kids...and make cards or scrapbook. So far this system has worked. I am amzed at how much I can get done at one time. If I need to make a lot of cards like for a swap or something one night I might get all the paper cut and then the next night get everything stamped and so on. I have found this works for me. It also helps that hubby KNOWS I need time for me and is more then willing to let me have it. Ihope you can find sometime soon!!!
Smiles,
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #6  
Failed Lurker

First Friday in the month is stamping night for our group of stamping mums (and one grandmother!), usually 7.30pm till we can't see any more! Although we do tend to spend at least the first 30mins gossiping. :oops:

Other than that, it's after the children have gone to bed - eyelets get hammered outside if fine (wonder what the neighbours think - that I'm building something, very, very slowly?) - or if they're playing happily together (rare, but it happens) I can sneak some crafty card-making in while they're down the garden.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

My kids are now at the point that I can stamp when they are awake (ages 7 & 5). We have a computer and a TV downstairs, so sometimes they do that. I also have an extra table set up and they like to do craft projects. I totally understand what you are saying because I have just recently gotten a little more freedom during daylight hours. It used to only be nap time and bed time. Good luck and hang in there, it does get better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Mine are 4 and 2. They are at an age (for me) where I can do most of my house cleaning while they are up. So nap time I can get started on my projects. And, like so many others, I stamp after they go to bed.

I also got a cute kid size folding table with two chairs from Michael's for them. So, if I need to get swaps ready I can set up their table for coloring and we all do our creating together.

We also transformed our Master Bedroom into the Hobby Room. So I am able to leave my works in progress out, which saves time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I am always amazed at the number of cards some ladies can post! Oh, to have children in school! My two are 4 years old and 18 months.

Sometimes I'll leave mine with the hubby and go to a friend's house after dinner. Her kids go to bed well and we stamp till 12. But she just moved, and I don't think I'll be trekking to New York to stamp. sigh

The best arrangement I have is with a group of 5 friends. We all have kids the same age. So every Tuesday while the older ones are in preschool, we get together at alternating houses and stamp while the little ones play. They generally get along well. We do have our bad days, but with so many moms we can split up discipline duty. The worst part of this is trying to pack what you will use and not forget anything. I'm a demo so I have TONS of stuff they don't. Unfortunately I have the smallest house and live in the boonies so we don't ever meet at my house. But its just nice to get together with friends!

Well, don't you know that as soon as I start typing, the natives get restless. How do we get any work done on the computer either?

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Geez, you guys are good! I am so inefficient at getting things done when my kids (3 & 5 years) are up. As soon as I start a project I am breaking up a fight or something. After so many interruptions I give up!! I need to bring their craft stuff down with mine, maybe that would work. Of course, they always want to use my stuff or "help" me Aaahhh, but my 5 year old will be in kindergarten in August full days woohoo! While I'll miss him, it will be good for him and GREAT for me to get some stuff done!! Kudos to all of you that are actually getting stuff done. I'm so grouchy and tired by the end of the day I have nothing creative left in me haha!! I just need to organize my time (and self) better I think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have slightly older children now (10, 8 and 6) and have just started having a friend over with her children and while we stamp they all have a play date. I thought I'd have more time once they were all in school, but I ended up with a job at the school. I tend to have little projects that can go in the car and I can work on while they are at after school activities, so if I'm doing several cards all the same, I cut the paper, stamp the image and then take the markers, pencils or whatever along with me. I've even picked up 2 customers this way. Unfortunately now I am hooked on this site and so stamping has taken a back seat. I think I need 26 hours in the day - just 2 more little hours to stamp in!
Cate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have three boyz, 7 and twins that are 5. This may not be helpful to know, but it is just now that I can stamp when they are awake and around. Some things I have done:

Hire a 10 year old to play with them next door while her mom or dad is home. Especially when my DH is gone this is very worthwhile. Sometimes I clean when she watches them and then I can stamp in the evenings.

I am working on getting them to do small jobs around the house, they actually love it, and some day they will be dh's and hopefully my dil's will thank me and want to stamp with me.

My dh lets me go out or he takes them out when I have opportunities to stamp with friends.

And my favorite I set their pool up right outside the table where I stamp. They can swim and I can stamp. It is quiet and we all are happy!

Hang in there, it gets better, and it is soooooo worth it.

HTH

Lorraine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Iburanas, I started cracking up when you said I have to get up every ten minutees to stop a fight! Oh, I am in the same boat as you. I have two boys, 4 & 7 & all they do is fight w/each other. My husband works a million hours per week so I just have to wait until they're sound asleep to stamp & by then I'm usually wiped out. I know it stinks, but we'll be free one day & I hear that we will miss our old constant interrupted lives then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

That's a great idea, letting them swim! They love it and I can watch them from only a few feet away (the kitchen table). But my main problem is no matter what, even if I give them their own supplies, they want to use and stamp with exactly what I'm using! So I can only stamp after they go to bed and I usually stay up too late and am a zombie the next day.

The thing that's worked out the best is going over to a friend's house to stamp in the evening. Her kids are down for bed by 7:30pm and they don't wake up even when we're hammering eyelets! Of course I always forget something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Who has time to stamp when we're always surfing this site?

Seriously, with an almost 6 and a 3 1/2 yr old, they are pretty good at playing with each other and entertaining themselves. My little daughter often wants to join in, so I give her scraps and older stamps and pads and let her go at it. I usually give her a pair of decorative scissors too. It's good for developmental skills and keeps her involved and interested.

Good luck! Julie Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have 6. 5 at home- from ages 15 to 2 yrs. I usually stamp late at night or here and there during the day. My 2 yr. old is a real Mama's girl but my 10 and 7 yr. old play with her. When they are in school and it's just the 2 year old and I, it's a lot trickier. But they grow up so fast and soon I'll have more time. Also, I get together with my freind who's a demo and a group and we stamp and then buy once a month. This really saves my sanity, I also do a card swap once a month with another group of friends so that's fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #17  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sosn's bedtime is 8, so I usually stamp then. Sometimes I can get things done during the day, but not often. Stamping up late is what maked my husband call me a STAMPIRE"!! :twisted:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #18  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really need to proofread before I submit!!! :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

my son is a little under 2, but has already hit the terrible 2's a while ago. i wish he could stamp w/ me, cuz i know he'd love it, but he's too young. i can't even trust him w/ crayons unless i'm right next to him! i guess when he gets older i will have more time since he'll be in school, it just seems like the only time i have now is at night, and if it's tv season, well i don't even have nights anymore :lol: right now only tues. are taken away from stamping cuz of nip/tuck, but during the regular season i have to watch the 48 law and orders, the 29 csi's, crossing jordan, raymond, well you get the idea! i'm so lame.

i wish i had more mom friends to stamp w/ too, cuz although they do get into trouble and stuff, we usually get stuff done while they're playing together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

My daughter is 11 and we stamp together! I had to buy her her own stamp pads, I cringed everytime she used mine! She has her own little table in the craft room and she has a blast! Though sometimes I wish it could be just my room!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 03:25 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I can't believe you get to go 10 minutes before breaking up a fight! It is usually far less than that around here.

I can't wait until Aug 5th when my twins go to kindergarten. I will dance all the way home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great question! I was always wondering when you can find time to stamp as much as I think you all do. I am a SAHM of 6 (ages 2,3,4,8, 13, 18 ). I home school so I cannot do it while they are in school (or can I ?) Then after school is all of the chores etc. This summer I am running two Bible schools for churches so I am working on decorations and organizing that. At night I like to surf here and plan what I would like to stamp. My husband usually tries to keep the kids on Sunday afternoon so I can make a few cards or things.

Once in awhile, not often enough if she is reading this, (hint hint) My favorite sister-in-law and stamping partner brings her 5 kids over and we stamp all day and let the teenagers fend for the little ones. Our kids get along so well we hardly know they are there most of the time. Plus I have a very big yard for them to get lost in.

Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I do alot of my stamping late at night after everybody's in bed. My boys are 9&10, so they pretty much don't need me for everything. But the 11 month old Yellow Lab (Lou) will steal my stamping stuff off the table the minute I turn my back! I save my scraps for my 9 YO, as he loves to make his own creations, and asks me to show them to my customers for ideas, which I gladly tell him yes - they love to see what he makes. I just find it easier to stamp without the distractions of the everyday stuff, I enjoy my quality ME time.

Lisa Somerville
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default time for moms

lock the kids in the closet with a box of cereal all day! LOL! I'm just kidding! I would never! Only the clown goes in the closet!

Don't worry, ladies, your children are only young once. Enjoy it before you start missing it!

Happy Day! Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

I have 2 DDs, 5 1/2 and 3 next month. They are pretty good at letting me do my thing, but if I take too long, i hear about it. They have their own stamps and I let them create with my scraps. Sometimes I am up late stamping, especially if i have a certain project I am trying to complete! Lately I find I am only getting time to make what I have to (specific occasion cards, prepping for a workshop, RAKs) and less time for just playing.

Next year...kindergarten and pre-school so maybe I'll get a morning or two a week to play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

it's so cute to hear about the kids stamping too! i wonder if my son will think i'm a geek or if he'll want to do it too. will he be too cool for stamping???

i know i will miss these crybaby days (uh huh really i wil!) but sometimes i just wish i could have a WHOLE day where all i did was look at stamping mags and scrap and stamp

oh and lana, don't you know you CANNOT lock kids in a closet w/ cereal!!!
omg! you have to lock them in there w/ chocolate or ice cream or cookies- cereal just doesn't cut it anymore! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I have 2 girls (almost 5 and 3-next week!). My stamping stuff is in the computer/toy room. So they either play or are on the computer. They are pretty good about letting me do my thing. When hubby is home the kids are with him so I sneak away downstairs to craft! But of course with the computer is right next to my table so I often get distracted!!! :oops: I need the inspiration (and a little time to procrastinate!!??? ) K :]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

I stamp at stamp camps or when my kids are asleep during the day or at night.

I am so behind for scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I love to stamp and watch evening TV at the same time, but I do my best stamping during the day. You can't stamp and watch nip/tuck at the same time though. You'd miss too much! While school was in session, 3 of my 4 kids went full day, so I only had my half day kindergartener to deal with. I had two weekly standing stamping dates with friends who have kids his age. We stamp, they play (and we weren't too picky about what they did as long as there was no fighting). We'd get together after the older kids went to school, stamp all morning, order some carry out for lunch, send the kids of to school for the afternoon and glory in our two hours of mom time. I haven't stamped a thing since school got out two weeks ago though. I'm trying to get back on track, but the kids want to go to the pool every day, and I have to say, I'm with them.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

My son, Brandon, is 17. I'm 37. He comes downstairs and tells me, "Mom, do you realize what time it is?", usually around 11:30pm or so. If I haven't said our "good nights" by 10:00pm he waits and watches the clock. He knows iff I'm still awake and functioning, I'm in the stamp room!! It used to be I was asleep by 10:00pm or sooner. Now I try to withhold all stamping until the DH is in bed, which is easy, because he has to be to work by 5:00am, so he usually goes to bed by 8:00pm. However, Deja Blu, our bird, doesn't go to bed until 9:00pm, so I've been having to hold off until 9:01pm and it takes all my effort to hold off!!! Obviously, I've discovered the time frame where your child takes care of you...when your 17 year old is telling you to go to bed, I think the signs are clear!!! ~Pam (hoping Brandon has a good retirement home with STAMPS all picked out for me!!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

I have a customer whose son is the best stamper! He loves it and is so meticulous about cleaning his stamps and keeping his pads clean. he used my stuff and he is almost better than my girls who have been trained nearly since birth! He makes bug robots with Bug Builders and Build A Bot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Deja Blu's Mom,
My husband and I are reading thru today's posts and are trying to figure out why you have to wait until after the bird goes to bed to start stamping? That has to be an interesting story .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I have a 4 1/2 year old son and 2 1/2 year old daughter who play pretty well together. My son actually has played for hours by himself before his sister came along, and my daughter tags along after my son now all the time. During the winter months it's great, but now that summer's here (and I have no fence in my back yard) they want to be outside all day long. So my stamping time is limited to after they go to bed. I also get together with some friends once a month to do scrapbooking and stamping from about 7:00 p.m. to 2 a.m. I have gotten so much done during those times! If I really need to get something done during the day, I can usually get them interested in their own paints and craft stuff. Playdough works wonders (even if it is a mess to clean up later)! I save it for special times when I really need to work uninterrupted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Because we (the hubby and I) work all day, that means Blu is locked up all day in his cage. Birds are a very demanding animal - if you don't treat them correctly, they can become mean, biters and screamers (similar to a dog). Something we both don't want, since that big, black beak can break bones if it wants to (but most bird bites come from the bird being scared)!!! They have to be out of their cage to interact with people and their environment, just like a dog. If raised properly, they can be very interactive and sociable. Blu sits with me in my stamping room and chews on his toys and scrap paper. He loves to be included in ANYTHING!!! Hence, the reason why Blu goes to bed later then the Hubby!!! Blu "works" when he is in is cage, and cries for "momma" the minute I step in the door. He is only a year old, and a cuddle bug right now, but he can out-live me..... the life expectancy of a Macaw is 75 to 90 years old, and he can change from a cuddle bug to an A*****E if his environement changes!!! So, when we die, we already have it plotted out who Blu will go to, and that they will do the same. I know some people will think that it's a little extreme, but, when you think of him as a family member, the perspective changes. A lot of people don't understand that a bird can be very sensitive and have feelings, and be affectionate and a cuddle bug, because a bird is considered an "exotic" animal, like a snake or an iguana. Even my DH didn't understand until I introduced him to Guapo, my cockatiel, and now he "gets" it. Get to know a bird person! Birds ROCK (IMHO!!!!!)

So, to keep this stamping related, do you have any clues about the 'BIG SECRET"??????? i'M DYING HERE ~Pam
Reply With Quote Likes