Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New colors

Is anyone else as upset as I am by SU retiring so many colors and changing the sets? I have always loved the earth elements, and they have taken that away to make way for a neutral set. I have invested a huge amount of time getting all the color sets in the regular inks, craft inks, crayons, markers, paper, etc., and now they are taking a lot of the colors away. In my opinion this is way too drastic a move, and I am not happy at all. What does everyone else think about this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I was shocked like you are, but then I saw the new colors...and I am in love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

At first, I was shocked and sad at all the colors they are taking away. So many greens and purples...GONE. But out of all the colors leaving, there were maybe 5 or 6 that I used with any regularity.

I'm a former demo so I have all the colors in classic ink, markers, and 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I never bothered to get all the craft ink. Ribbons I pretty much just bought what I liked and thought I would use.

Now that I am over the initial shock, I can see that a change was needed to stay "current". And I am taking this change as an opportunity to get over the idea that I need to have it ALL.....get over being more of a hoarder of supplies than a user.

In the end, this represents a chance for me to clean out some stuff I barely use and then pick carefully which new ( or returning IN colors that will be regular colors now) I really like and add those to my supplies.

The new color line-up really is pretty, if a little short on purples and greens. I am hoping some of the upcoming "In-Colors" will fill those gaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

This was the same response I had. I understand the need for color changes but to get rid of 29 (I think that is the right number) at the same time is brutal. The last time they did this I thought it was only about 6 colors. That was a little easier to take, although I had just ordered the marker set and my demo failed to tell me about the coming changes even though she knew about it, but I digress. I guess there is no easy way to make a dramatic change like this, but it is irritating. I know I can still use the paper and inks, but it is a lot of money and time invested in getting all this. The new colors are lovely, but honestly I have ink pads, re-inkers and enough paper for awhile. Once my SU stash is gone, I will probably go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I have always felt that many of the SU colors are just not that attractive. They will be getting rid of lots of colors, but a lot of them I didn't like and didn't buy anyway. The ones I do have, and do like, I'll buy re inkers for the pads. Some of my colors will be "out" but I will still use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I was really upset at first too. Like, really upset! BUT after a night of sleeping on it and then reading more stuff and listening to the webinar that us demos got I've come around. I also cleaned out my stuff and realized that I didn't use much of what they are getting rid of. I need to post pics but I did a sampler of the new colors and I really really like them. SO, I understand your being upset for sure! Maybe give it some time and maybe you'll like it afterall, I hope anyway. I'll miss a few colors but I love the new colors and I always miss the in colors once they are gone but I end up finding a new favorite anyway!

There will also be kits available to "fill in" the gaps, you won't have to buy a new set of markers or ink pads or WWC. You will be able to get just the new colors if you so choose.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

In reality they only took away half of the Earth Elements and moved the others. Really SU took 10 out of 12 of the Brights away and 9 of the Soft Subtles. And bringing back some of the retired IC is awesome. And it's not like you have to stop using it just because it's not in the catty anymore - you already have it don't you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

At first I was really upset. Then I actually sat down with the list and took out all the retiring color ink pads from the holder. When I actually looked at the colors, I realized that I haven't used half of the retiring colors for along time. So I am getting super excited about the new colors!

As a former demo, I have all the ink pads, refills, cardstock, markers, watercolor crayons, etc....So it looks like its time for a sale and to purchase some new stuff. That is always fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

As much as it seems like a big hit as a customer this is the best time to like retiring colors. Even after they're no longer available from SU you'll be able to clean up on auctions sites or the BST forum here. Demos can start selling off their excess on July 1st so there will be a flood of product for a big discount. You could stock up on Close to Cocoa (oh I did really love this one) and Really Rust etc. to use for years and years.

Hopefully once you see the new colors you'll love them as much as I did when I saw them. I rearranged my paper ring into the new color collection and now the brights (Bold Brights were my least favorite) are my fave!

Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I was somewhere between livid and heart broken. But I have gotten over it. It really does help to sit down and take stock of what you have and what you use. I also figured out that if SU! doesn't fill in the gaps for purple (my FAVORITE color) I don't have a problem going else where. I no longer NEED SU! for all my needs.

It was a shocker though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE that they took away most of the Bold Brights, they were WAY too outdated. The new colours look scrumptuous and I hope to get my hands on them soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Well I was so in shock......but I'll get over it.

I sat down and made my list of getting extra papers and refills that will be needed.

Interesting.......I'm not happy about it all ....but ......I'll be ok. LOLOLOL

lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Most of the colours they got rid of were ugly imo, so it wasn't a big loss to me. There are two I like that I will hang on to for a while at least because I did like them - Taken with Teal and Handsome Hunter.

I thought I would be upset about the two pinks in the brights, but in looking at the new colours, Melon Mambo will work for me in the places I need a bright pink. Also was upset about Green Galore and Gable Green - with torquoise for boy cards - but the rumored in colour green that is coming should solve that problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I got a chance to see the new colors live, in person last night when my demo came for a visit (she is also my neighbor ;)). I LOVE THEM!!!! I am no longer sad about any retiring colors and sooooooooo excited about the new ones. I really think it was time for a change and SU picked some great new colors! Also, I guess they told demos there would be some color shake ups about every 4-5 years so that is something to look forward to. I like that they really researched the market and took a look at trends in many areas, not just in stamping. I am super excited for July 1st to come!!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I LOVE the new colors! The new colors really work well with the other colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all the colors and have kept all their past In-Colors so I have a good amount of what they will have and only have to get the new colors as I want them...

They really needed to update their color line for some time...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I wasn't too happy at first but now I'm looking forward to it. I do think they needed to get rid of some of those colors but I do agree that 29 colors is a bit extreme. I'm not happy that so many of the soft subtles are gone, especially since they didn't really replace them with soft colors. They should have kept one of the light purples. But when I sat down and made a list of the colors I'd like to stock up on, it was surprisingly small, and I'm only getting what I need to use up some ribbon and DP. I'm ready to use up my old and move on.

But I am going to be a lot more careful about what I buy in the future. If I don't like a color I'm not getting it just to have everything. I have a lot of ink pads that see very little use.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
Is anyone else as upset as I am by SU retiring so many colors and changing the sets? I have always loved the earth elements, and they have taken that away to make way for a neutral set. ?
Not to worry! Many of the Earth Elements colors made the cut. They're just in different groups now, surrounded by other lovely colors. And while Ruby Red is gone, it's been replaced with Riding Hood Red which is the same hue with a bit more intensity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

That was why I never bought all the cardstock for the BB...I don't use them so I just bought one assorted pack and I have used 1 sheet in 4 years!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

My original response was "oh no oh no oh no" but my sadness over loss has been replaced by waves of excitement - first seeing the new color chart PDF, then getting the new core color sheets in my Stampin' Success (demo magazine), and finally rearranging my existing stuff into the new lineup! As I was taking out ink pads, reinkers and paper I was disturbed to realize that beyond a few of the Earth Elements I had almost entire packages of paper of all the colors leaving - not because I'd bought more after using half the package or whatever, but because I'd never even used it! I was also concerned about the amount of reds, but seeing the new Cherry Cobbler in person made that go away completely!!! I can't wait to get the ink pads, paper, ribbons, etc. in the GORGEOUS new core colors!

I think any change is scary but when you see the new lineup and the new colors in person, I hope you'll be as excited as I am about the fresher looking SU! colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I am extremely disappointed! I have been a SU customer for 10 years and use SU cardstock exclusively for cards and scrapbooking. And I use all their original colors pretty regularly and am crushed to lose Close to Cocoa, Really Rust, Ruby Red, and the Bold Brights, as well as Brocade Blue... The list goes on and on. I just put in an order for 31 packages of cardstock and will probably put in another order in May for more of certain colors I want around and the refills. I don't like the new colors and didn't get into many of the In Colors. This will be a huge change. Guess I will be stocking up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was really disappointed too but I like the new colors and they are current. I'm definitely welcoming Baja Breeze, River Rock, Tangerine Tango and Wild Wasabi. (I wish they added Kiwi Kiss too) I will use my supplies until they are gone. I am purchasing additonal Brillant Blue and Green Galore cardstock - I like them and am sorry to see them go. I was surprised that they kept Bravo Burgundy-kinda ugly IMO, I'm not so sure about Garden Green either. Can't wait to see the colors in-person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

You really need to see them in person - talk to your demo and see if she has her new color samples. When you see the collections spread out in full sheets it is really a WOW. The new brights are really beautiful and they are bright without burning your eyeballs (yo yo yellow!) It will be an adjustment for some people but I think if you give it a chance you will like it.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

So, how do I see the retiring list and the new colors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff's momView Post
So, how do I see the retiring list and the new colors?
You can find it on almost any demo's blog (including mine). As for seeing them "live", you need to find a demo in your area that has received the samples.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for your response. It will take some time to get used to the new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought 29 was way too many. That said, I only use about 10 colors anyway. Besides neutrals, I only own about 25 colors. So many of the colors that are leaving I didn't like anyway. I will miss Sage Shadow and Bordering Blue. I'll order Yo Yo, Bordering Blue and a few others. While I won't miss most of them I really understand the "pain"!

I'd really be upset if I had just gotten the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I found the changes to be a challenge.
A challenge to mix and match.....we don't always have to have everything the same.
A challenge to use new colour combos - surprising what a little ingenuity does.
All this said - this is a test Ladies!! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

In my opinion the good outweighs the bad because:

Pink Pirouette
Red Riding Hood Red
Always Artichoke
Soft Suede

are coming back! Yea!

I am a little bummed about losing Mellow Moss - what were they thinking?

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

They should have put up an SCS Poll and let us decide!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post

They should have put up an SCS Poll and let us decide!
I thought that too, but do you realize how many different opinions they'd get, lol? I always laugh at the threads when we discuss our favorite colors because everyone seems to have a different one.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

I regularly use over half of those that are retiring, so, yeah, I'm pretty po'd. Some of the colors I can get elsewhere but what was nice about getting them from SU was the cardstock was stiffer than what you can find most other places, and you could get them in 12x12, which not everybody else has. Several of the colors that are retiring are primary, school type of colors. They may not be popular with everyday cardmakers, but for those of us who do lots of things for the schools and teachers, being able to get quality, stiffer cardstock in 12x12 in those colors was terrific. While I like many of the new colors, they do not take the place of many of those that SU's getting rid of. SU basically had a corner on the market for some of those in quality 12x12 cardstock. Now it's going to be really difficult to find. I can't possibly stock up for the amount that I'll need in some of the colors (no place to store it and too costly all at once). Hopefully someone else will come out with similar heavyweight stuff in 12x12. You could always count on getting it from SU because they were core colors - now that's a joke and doesn't mean anything. The In Colors were supposed to be short term, trendy colors. They're now bringing a bunch of those back (I didn't like a lot of them when they first came out!) So much for short term "hurry, they'll only be around for a year". I don't mind them bringing back some of the colors but NOT at the expense of what they're getting rid of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post

They really needed to update their color line for some time...
I totally agree! While I was shocked and kind of bummed about losing so many colors at first, I actually took a look at what was leaving and out of 29 colors, I will miss around 7 or 8 alot, since they were ones I reached for quite a bit. But, also looking at the colors coming back or new ones coming, they help fill some of the gaps of what is leaving nicely. I do think that they should have kept one of the light purples, but hopefully we will see something nice in the incolors. I am glad to see some of the old incolors coming back, but wish that a few more of the colors had made the cut. I can't wait to get the new cardstock and play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post
Consider going with a company who doesn't believe in retiring things. Papertrey is one example.
Ok, please don't jump all over me here. I'm just asking a question. Has PT came out and said that they will never retire anything ever? Just wondering as I don't really know much about them. I can't imagine that any company could keep putting new things out without ever retiring anything. I can't imagine the warehouse space among other logistics that would take!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Ok, please don't jump all over me here. I'm just asking a question. Has PT came out and said that they will never retire anything ever? Just wondering as I don't really know much about them. I can't imagine that any company could keep putting new things out without ever retiring anything. I can't imagine the warehouse space among other logistics that would take!!!!
I guarantee they haven't said that. I think that if they are still in business in 15 to 20 years (no reason they shouldn't be) then I believe they will have to retire things wheather it be stamps or colors or both. I mean really trends change and colors that are classics today just look tired tomorrow. There is a big difference between having a product out for 3 years and having one out for 20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I looked at the colors that are retiring and most of them I don't like anyway, like YoYo Yellow...YUCK!!!!! I am sad about some of the greens and the purples. Papertrey Ink has beautiful purples so I will just buy some of my paper from them. I am thrilled about some of the IC coming back. I am working on stocking up on the papers I like and will enjoy the new colors. Change is usually a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

From the owner's mouth:

nichole wrote:
No, we do not have any current plans to retire any of our stamp sets. Hope that helps!

~Nichole

She has said the same thing about colors.
Self-explanatory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #38  

Quote:

Can't see it:-( Needs to have a log in. And as a side note, I don't think SU ever SAID they wouldn't change the colors....they just didn't do it much in 20 some years (once, right?).

I was pretty upset at first as well but I really do like the "new" collections and realized that I didn't use MOST (there are a few I'm still sniffling over) of the retiring colors. I'll find new favorites for sure!

I can't imagine having a ton of colors because nothing is ever retired! I do better with LESS choices, I think I'd lose my mind if I went with PTI if they end up with a bazillion colors:-) I'm actually sort of happy that SU has a few less now, LOL!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Consider going with a company who doesn't believe in retiring things. Papertrey is one example.
I'm not saying anything bad about PTI - I just want to make that clear from the get-go because otherwise someone will say it's because I'm an SU! demo that I'm saying this...

You're comparing apples to oranges. PTI is not a direct sales company, nor are they catalog based. The reality is that SU! only has room for so many stamps, accessories, etc. The stamps aren't related to color but the pages that are taken up by color items are - if they'd have added to instead of replacing colors we'd have to go to more pages (think of the fact that probably items like buttons, brads, ribbons and everything related to color would've taken up more room as well). I understand your frustration but comparing PTI and SU! just doesn't really work as their business models are entirely different except for the product that they sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Can't see it:-( Needs to have a log in. And as a side note, I don't think SU ever SAID they wouldn't change the colors....they just didn't do it much in 20 some years (once, right?).

I was pretty upset at first as well but I really do like the "new" collections and realized that I didn't use MOST (there are a few I'm still sniffling over) of the retiring colors. I'll find new favorites for sure!

I can't imagine having a ton of colors because nothing is ever retired! I do better with LESS choices, I think I'd lose my mind if I went with PTI if they end up with a bazillion colors:-) I'm actually sort of happy that SU has a few less now, LOL!
So that's going to take two bazillion years to have that many because they only release one color every other month!
Reply With Quote Likes