Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's fair?

I began to attend a monthly SU stamp club - met the same time every month at the demo's house. We paid a small fee, made cards for a couple hours and were required to place a minium $25/month.

Now this lady is unable to have this stamp club at her house. So I offered to let her have it at mine. Once a month and a very small group.

I don't anticipate a lot of out-put on my part (she'll bring all of the SU stuff), but naturally there will be some. The benefit to her is obvious - she gets to continue this part of her business instead of having to lose it. Also, my house is apparently closer to her regulars than her house is.

So my question is, what should I negotiate? I was thinking of asking to skip the req'd monthly min. (I will end up spending more than the $25/month with her, I'm sure, but I tend to place larger orders and space them out) and, when I do order, waive the upcharges (to just pay what the catalog says).

Is that fair? Too much? Too little? Even possible? After all, I don't know the restrictions on demos. What if she wants to grow the group?

TIA for your advice; this is new to me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clubs are usually based on the fact that everyone buys a min amount and then each "hostess" gets at least that amount of benefits on her month. Your idea of larger orders occasionally doesn't really fit that model.

You could ask her for a discount, but I'm not sure how she'd feel about that as she has the pay the tax and shipping and handling if you don't.

If it were my club (and I don't have one, LOL~) I'd offer you a certain dollar amount for the use of your house and refreshments. I think that might be more fair for everyone.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I first started my clubs, my customers would have the monthly meetings at their house when they were hostess. Then it got easier just to have it at my house, but I'm the demonstrator. They just bring the drinks and food.
Perhaps the other ladies could share the housing of the meetings, then you wouldn't have to have it monthly. I'm trying to think of what I would do, if I couldn't have it at my house and no hostess could have it at her house.
As far as what the demo could give you to compensate: think of what you think is fair, then ask her what she thinks she could sustain. If she doesn't require you to place the $25, then she'll have to do it, and she'll become the member of the club. If the workshop orders are $150, she gets $30, so she's doing it for almost no financial benefit. That will get old fast.
I'll be interested to see what others suggest.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Yeh, asking to not have to place the minimum will have the club possibly come up short each month. When you offered up your home as the meeting place, did you mention payment or some type of discount in exchange? Maybe the demo can arrange that whoever is the hostess of the month is the one that brings the snack? Or maybe she is planning to do that? Did she always provide the snack before?

Asking to not place an order for the group and/or to get free shipping and no tax (basically the full income) for your larger orders might be a bit much. But really I guess it depends on the demo you are working with. She might need the location and group sales enough to do that.

This is different in a way (but similar too), but I have a group of demos meet at my house each month and I offered my house (and really hoped that they would be agreeable to it always being at my house) because I like not having to travel to any other house! I thought that was enough benefit to me and was happy when everyone agreed to meet here. BTW, my DH was agreeable too because it at least forces me to clean up the house each month to make it presentable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

You mention that you pay a small fee in addition to the minimum order. I think I would ask for the fee (for the projects?) be waived for the use of your house. It really isn't fair to the demo or the club to fiddle with the minimum club order.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
I began to attend a monthly SU stamp club - met the same time every month at the demo's house. We paid a small fee, made cards for a couple hours and were required to place a minium $25/month.

Now this lady is unable to have this stamp club at her house. So I offered to let her have it at mine. Once a month and a very small group.

I don't anticipate a lot of out-put on my part (she'll bring all of the SU stuff), but naturally there will be some. The benefit to her is obvious - she gets to continue this part of her business instead of having to lose it. Also, my house is apparently closer to her regulars than her house is.

So my question is, what should I negotiate? I was thinking of asking to skip the req'd monthly min. (I will end up spending more than the $25/month with her, I'm sure, but I tend to place larger orders and space them out) and, when I do order, waive the upcharges (to just pay what the catalog says).

Is that fair? Too much? Too little? Even possible? After all, I don't know the restrictions on demos. What if she wants to grow the group?

TIA for your advice; this is new to me.
I think that she should waive this small fee, whatever it is, for you. That's completely fair. As far as the "upcharges", do you mean tax and shipping? As a demo, she probably won't waive those charges. And, as far as ordering every month, she probably has the club set up to depend on everyone ordering at least the minimum amount each month in order for the "hostess" that month to receive the hostess benefits. Instead of doing fewer large orders just order smaller amounts at a time and get the $25.00 that is required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
You mention that you pay a small fee in addition to the minimum order. I think I would ask for the fee (for the projects?) be waived for the use of your house. It really isn't fair to the demo or the club to fiddle with the minimum club order.
I totally agree. I think waiving the supply fee is very fair. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with previous posters. If it is a club she can't really wave the $25 minimum and free tax & shipping will eat up almost all of her income but if I were the demo I would gladly waive the supply fee.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest waiving the fee and everyone takes turns brings a snack/drinks.
Personally I have never ever paid a fees on top of my monthly minimums for clubs. And I never would.

To me that is a few bucks more I can get product with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

No, she doesn't provide drinks or snacks (although I would, that's how I was brought up).

I don't know about club minimums - there are just 2-3 other ladies currently. When I ordered it was the icing on the cake b/c the club commitment had already started, so no one was counting on that order to be included. There was never a hostess of the month, so I don't get the impression that I'd be "messing with" club minium below which she cannot go.

I thought of the catalog price b/c that's what my CTMH rep does; maybe that's different.

In this club, each woman makes a 6-month commitment to place the minimum order I mentioned; her perks are that she gets a level 1 hostess bennie at the end (and a discount - maybe $15-25 on an additional order - so that's 7 orders in 6 months). I have all of the hostess bennies I'm interested in until the new catalog.

Thanks for all the input; sounds like I need to keep it simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

By no upcharges do you mean tax and shipping because you should be charged the catalog price when you place an order, I'm not following this.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about this as I were in your shoes. I would expect to still pay the $25. I would think she could waive the 'small fee'. A big question for me would be the snacks... when I host my annual spring and fall workshops, I love to put on a spread for my guests. I wouldn't do this if my demo were just using my home and if I were not getting the hostess credit.

I would ask her to bring whatever she expects for a snack, or as mentioned have each club member take turns providing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

What we did (I quit due to the higher Canadian prices of SU) is each paid 25.00 and drew names out of a hat to see what month we were hostess of. We also had to bring a snack for our month. If she is using your home for her business she most definitely needs to show you some recognition for this. I would suggest whatever you are comfortable with. For me it would be at least waiving shipping costs....
my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Think of the trouble you will have to go to (UGH cleaning the house LOL!), if she didn't provide snacks and drinks at her own home, then I can guess she will not want to reimburse you for doing so, and probably wont bring them herself, so get what you can in the way of product for doing that. I would say ask for 10.00 off your order and for her to waive "the fee" she charges. That would cover your food and drinks at least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I re-read Post #1 and it states that Binx "offered" here home as the meeting place. Since it was her idea and she offered her home, I feel she should not expect any benefits for having it at her home. After all, she offered, it would be different if the Demonstrator asked if the meeting could be the Binx home each month. In that case, there should be some kind of compensation. I just feel if I offer something, it should be with no strings attached.

Just my opinion.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or you could a new club to join and that may be better in the long run also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Even though you offered your home so she can continue to have this monthly club meeting- you should still get something in return and I feel you should talk with your Demo and see what she can offer you. You have to clean up your home- set up places for everyone to work then clean up any mess left behind. Your Demo is getting all the rewards for your work and expense for snacks and drinks. I think you should ask everyone in this small group of ladies to help with snacks and drinks and at the very min the demo should waive whatever the small fee for the class is and give you percent % off if you spend a certain amount (since you like to place large orders) or just give you a certain dollar amount of free product. I can see why most everyone agrees you should have to buy the 25.00 min at the class (that is with there is any perk to the required min 25.00) but you do deserve compensation for your part. If she isn't willing to give you anything in compensation I would seriously think about resending your offer to host each months class and since she can't do these monthly stamp club and think about becoming a Demo yourself just to hold monthly stamp club meeting with the same requirements and offer it to all the members of the current club is. I am not out to say steal your current Demo's clients but if she can no longer offer this service and everyone in this small group enjoys the monthly club - become a Demo just to meet min's with the monthly club and those same ladies can place all other orders with whichever Demo they choose ( you or the current one). I strongly feel you deserve compensation for offering your home up once a month and should get something in return, I don't think you deserve a huge amount but either waive the small fee each month and give you something a little extra.
Your Demo is still getting to keep her monthly stamp club without having to host it- she is still getting the fee for the class, along with making money on each order even if it is only 25.00. She hasn't offered refreshments (even though I do realize she didn't offer even in her home- a little strange to me - but again I was raised different). Why should your Demo get everything and you have a small hassle every month to get ready for the monthly stamp club and get nothing in return. This is only fair for you to get a small something for everything you have to do to get ready each and every month.

Please do not attack me for the comment about becoming a Demo yourself (hobby Demo is really what I was meaning) so you can hold monthly stamp club meeting with the same group of ladies and then since you are doing all the work - you can then get a little compensation for all the work. If my Demo wasn't willing to compensate me at all- this is truly the route I would think about. The monthly club meetup would make the minimums for you so really you would get decent benefits for holding the monthly stamp club. This is just a last resort if your Demo expects you to hold these monthly stamp club meeting if zero compensation. I am assuming that one of the reasons you offered your home up so you and this small group of ladies can continue to have your Monthly Stamp Club meeting is because all of you really enjoy the chance to papercraft and chit-chat and have some fun together for a few hours. I would have expect a decent person (refering to your Demo) would have offer you compensation within moments of you offering up your home every month to continue these stamp club parties, I am really surprised she didn't (then again I guess I was raised different).

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Binx...the very least she should do for you is drop your minimum order requirement. She should also be doing more than that....you are being a lifesaver for her. How about free shipping on your orders....just a thought.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Hi Binx...the very least she should do for you is drop your minimum order requirement. She should also be doing more than that....you are being a lifesaver for her. How about free shipping on your orders....just a thought.
blessings.
That wouldn't really work for the club to meet the minimum order then. They wouldn't qualify for benefits if the minimum order isn't made. That's kind of the point of a club...so each member gets the free stuff once.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
That wouldn't really work for the club to meet the minimum order then. They wouldn't qualify for benefits if the minimum order isn't made. That's kind of the point of a club...so each member gets the free stuff once.

Not so much for her - actually, her club minimums are not impacted by my participation at all since I came after her 6-month required commitment began, and no one individual gets any direct benefit from specific month's purchases (was that clear at all, LOL). In other words, she retains all hostess bennies herself until the end (6 months) when the participants get what I mentioned above. Guess she structured her club differently. However, if they don't meet here, they don't meet at all; no one gets product, and she doesn't get sales (at least from this group), etc. etc.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of those who suggested waiving the minimums. As far as no benefit to me at all, what a funny business propostion that would make - mutual effort should result in mutual advantage, IMO. How else could businesses exist?

I like the idea of letting her offer and going from there - make it up as we go along, so to speak - especially since there doesn't seem to be protocol on this. On the other hand, I haven't heard from her. I think she has a lot going on with her family, so we'll see what happens, if anything.

Thanks again, all, for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

So if I am understanding all of this basically there are 2-3 women that were participating in a club for a six month timeframe. You were added to the club at a later date. Each women receives the items she orders each month. Once the 6 months of club purchases have been meet each participant will get a hostess set and upon placing order #7 they will get $15 off that order?

Since you know each of the women you probably know if they would be receptive to bring a snack and drink on a rotating basis. If you feel they wouldn't mind doing that then I would allow them to do so. Perhaps the first time the group meets you can decide who will bring the snacks the next time.

But yes, I would expect some type of discount/place an order every other month for opening up my home and preparing space for the stampers. Is there any chance your demo will see your post on here and discuss it with you at her convenience?

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to reach a comfortable solution for each of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #22  

Quote:

Not so much for her - actually, her club minimums are not impacted by my participation at all since I came after her 6-month required commitment began, and no one individual gets any direct benefit from specific month's purchases (was that clear at all, LOL). In other words, she retains all hostess bennies herself until the end (6 months) when the participants get what I mentioned above. Guess she structured her club differently. However, if they don't meet here, they don't meet at all; no one gets product, and she doesn't get sales (at least from this group), etc. etc.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of those who suggested waiving the minimums. As far as no benefit to me at all, what a funny business propostion that would make - mutual effort should result in mutual advantage, IMO. How else could businesses exist?

I like the idea of letting her offer and going from there - make it up as we go along, so to speak - especially since there doesn't seem to be protocol on this. On the other hand, I haven't heard from her. I think she has a lot going on with her family, so we'll see what happens, if anything.

Thanks again, all, for the input.
Oh, well that's a different club set up from what I'm used to for sure!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I would never give a customer my discount (what you are calling upcharges), because it is my income. I would never expect the clerk at my favorite craft store to give me her hourly wage for the time I spend with her because I'm a good customer or because I referred customers to her.

If someone offered up their house, and I had an additional fee I would be more than willing to wave that fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

What I do for one customer that also offered to let us have her house for our club meetings is now and then I just *give* her things......little items I've made, or like I had a couple of extra sab sets so I gave those to her....she has never asked for anything but I enjoy giving her things......I did tell her if we held *classes* there I would not charge her for the class......

I think if she charges a fee for materials and then the $25 in my case I would waive the fee....but I also don't make alot of $$ because I give so much away....lol...my customers actually give me hard time and won't take some stuff...lol...gotta luv em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I would never give a customer my discount (what you are calling upcharges), because it is my income. I would never expect the clerk at my favorite craft store to give me her hourly wage for the time I spend with her because I'm a good customer or because I referred customers to her.

If someone offered up their house, and I had an additional fee I would be more than willing to wave that fee.

Well as a business owner I think this logic is flawed. If I were to set up my wares in someone elses establishment I would full well expect to pay them a percentage of sales. (referring a customer is a different story, no impact on this particular discussion but there are many refer a friend programs in the retail world) When faced with the alternative of making no money because she has no where else to hostess her parties I think she would want to give her a great discount. Like someone else mentioned I would consider becoming a demo myself if the deal was not lucrative for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
Well as a business owner I think this logic is flawed. If I were to set up my wares in someone elses establishment I would full well expect to pay them a percentage of sales. (referring a customer is a different story, no impact on this particular discussion but there are many refer a friend programs in the retail world) When faced with the alternative of making no money because she has no where else to hostess her parties I think she would want to give her a great discount. Like someone else mentioned I would consider becoming a demo myself if the deal was not lucrative for you.
I guess I have a problem with someone offering up her house, and then deciding she wants some pretty big payment for it (20% off her order no matter what amount could end up being more than renting a church hall would be). Like I said, I would have no problem waiving the fee the demo is charging on top of the min. order. Other than that, I think she needs to remember that she isn't asking for a discount. She is asking the demo to give her the demo's income.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I guess I have a problem with someone offering up her house, and then deciding she wants some pretty big payment for it (20% off her order no matter what amount could end up being more than renting a church hall would be). Like I said, I would have no problem waiving the fee the demo is charging on top of the min. order. Other than that, I think she needs to remember that she isn't asking for a discount. She is asking the demo to give her the demo's income.
Where did you come up with that timing? That's quite an assumption and is entirely incorrect. There were expectations set in the beginning - no secrets.

As far as her income; there will be none w/o my home. We could discuss business basics further, but let's leave it at that.

As for everyone else, I'm sorry this became a somewhat-heated issue (gee whiz!). I wanted what was fair, which was why I asked exactly that question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Where did you come up with that timing? That's quite an assumption and is entirely incorrect. There were expectations set in the beginning - no secrets.

As far as her income; there will be none w/o my home. We could discuss business basics further, but let's leave it at that.

As for everyone else, I'm sorry this became a somewhat-heated issue (gee whiz!). I wanted what was fair, which was why I asked exactly that question.

I got the timeline, because you had said you offered up your house, and now you were asking us about what was fair to negotiate. That made it seem like you had already offered your house, but now wanted something from the demo for doing so. I'm sorry if I read it wrong.

And, she could have income even if she didn't have club in your home. She could look around at halls that can be rented (and some libraries and church's let you use them for free or a very small fee), and depending on how much your orders might be the 20% she wouldn't be earning from your sales may be higher than what the rental fee would be. She could also change the way she did business in general, and not be dependant on the club for her income.

You asked whether or not it seemed fair. I gave my opinion that it isn't fair to ask for someone's income. You don't have to take my opinion and change your mind, but it seems silly to get mad over me giving an honest answer to your question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

So I offered to let her have it at mine. Once a month and a very small group.

If I'm reading this correctly, she didn't come to you and ask you to host these workshops in your home, you offered. I don't understand why you are expecting some form of compensation now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is so hard to believe that alot of you SU Demo's don't think it is fair for her to ask for a little something in return for her hosting the club meeting every month in her home. See I don't believe anyone should expect something for nothing. I would never think it was ok for the woman hosting to ask for the 20% discount (the Demo's entire income), and I don't remember reading anyone going that far in compensation. I know I was raised different then alot of people- but I believe waiving the small fee or asking for small discount on 1 item or something small but meaningful... Why do so many people expect... Oh well not worth continueing on...

To the person asking, I hope your Demo is fair and kind. She should be willing to neg something in return for hosting each and every month a party for the Demo to make money. If I had a Demo not willing to do anything in return for the wonderful thing you are doing for her... Seriously .. think about becoming a hobby Demo and continue the workshops/club meeting once a month with the same group of woman- and even ask the Demo if she would like to attend...I am not saying take her customers - just run the Stamp Club meeting and continue with the min 25.00 from each and that will make your minimums each quarter.

Sheena

Don't be upset when conversations seem to get a little heated- this is the internet, you are unable to read body launage or tone of voice. I am fairly sure" most" of us are truly trying to be helpful and not trying to come across rude. It is just obvious some Demo's think you deserve nothing in return for offering a wonderful gesture- I hope your real life Demo is not like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #31  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Binx - I think it's great that you are willing to offer to host the club every month.
Fair/not fair is tough for any of us to 'decide' - it really depends on the situation you and your demo are in. Hopefully you have a good enough relationship that you can discuss options - and she may even have some that you haven't thought of.
- no supply fee
- free shipping always
- just pay the catalogue price for your $25 min order
- just pay the catalogue price no matter how big your order
- $xx in 'stamping bucks' that you can spend on SU! supplies with her - basically a credit that can accumulate
- change the amount of free merchandise that you get at the end of the club (which is kind of like the stamping bucks idea
- skip one minimum order every x months (maybe once in a hostess round?)

I'm sure there are other creative ways that you and your demo can find so that you feel appreciated, and she is able to continue offering the stamp club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

If there are only 2-3 other persons in your stamp club, I can't see where there would be much cost at all. Make sure your table top is clear (which should really be done all the time anyway according to Flylady ;) ) - put out 6 cookies and a cup of coffee (or juice, or whatever you chose to drink). To keep my club going, and if I had offered, I don't think I would want anything for compensation.

If your Demo offered, I would accept not having to pay the small fee for supplies.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
It is so hard to believe that alot of you SU Demo's don't think it is fair for her to ask for a little something in return for her hosting the club meeting every month in her home. See I don't believe anyone should expect something for nothing. I would never think it was ok for the woman hosting to ask for the 20% discount (the Demo's entire income), and I don't remember reading anyone going that far in compensation. I know I was raised different then alot of people- but I believe waiving the small fee or asking for small discount on 1 item or something small but meaningful... Why do so many people expect... Oh well not worth continueing on...
The OP said that she wanted the demo to give her her discount (she called it upcharges). That's what I was commenting on not being fair. I also said that as a demo I would be more than willing to waive her small club for offering up her house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #34  

Hi! I think it's pretty cool that you've offered to have your club meeting at your home!

There shouldn't be any costs associated with hosting the club in your home. The demo should still continue to provide all that she has in the past regardless of the location. The only cost would be to you for time and energy in getting a place ready to stamp and clean it all up. That can take a fair amount of time, ask me how I know !

As for what's fair ... well, honestly, I saw this thread a while ago and hadn't figured out how to respond yet. I like what Gail said, it's pretty diplomatic, it gives your demo plenty of options. Personally as a demo myself, I feel a little odd about your asking for a "fair" discount of some sort. I understand the request for a fair-trade deal, but don't really know how you've sort of set this up.

Like ctab said, and of course without knowing your situation exactly, you've offered your home. Why does that have to be recognized by a permanent monthly "deal"? I'd be curious to know if your demo may do something on his/her own without your prompting? To recognize the generous spirit that you have and return the favour!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo I don't have the space in my home to do my clubs. We do it at the same club members home every month as is the arrangement you have. I bring all of the supplies and the ladies take turns being hostess. She brings the snacks and gets all of the hostess bennies. The wonderful woman who lets us use her home every month gets my discount. I don't charge any extra fee to anyone for supplies except at Christmas when we make 10 cards a month. Then everyone pays the fee. We both think this is fair for the use of her home. HTH!

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

I'd like to clarify:

You belong to a club where there is a fee charged each month, everyone is required to place a $25 order in ADDITION to the fee AND nobody gets hostess benefits? In addition, she doesn't provide food or drink (do you guys rotate that, or is it just every woman for herself?).

Sounds like you need to find a new demo.

I have a six month club with six members. I provide my home, snacks (usually chips and dip and M&Ms, nothing really fancy) and water or lemonade or sodas. I create the project and everyone makes it, plus places a $25 order. The hostess for the month is determined by the order they sign up and each hostess gets to choose her month. So if the first customer to sign up wants January and the second wants April, the third can choose any other month that hasn't already been chosen. Whatever the order total is for her month, the hostess gets to choose whatever she wants for the hostess benefits. I keep nothing but my 20% income from club. The benefit to me (besides the $) is that I know I will have guaranteed sales. They know they will learn new stuff and will get the products they ordered.

There is no "fee" and if, for some reason, I couldn't have it at my house and one of my customers offered to have it at hers, I would continue to supply snacks and projects, etc. Since I don't (and won't) charge a fee, I wouldn't have anything to offer the person who is volunteering her home (something I would NEVER ask a customer to do). Of course, she would get a big gift from me at the end of the club period, hand stamped goodies and things like that, as a thank you. I think I might be taken aback if someone volunteered her house and then asked for something in return.

That being said, in the club model you belong to (one I've NEVER heard of, if my assumption are correct), having the supply fee waived would be fair. I would also ask her to bring snacks and drinks because you shouldn't be providing that, regardless of whose house it is-she should (and in my opinion, should have been all along) unless it's a workshop setting.

It should never cost YOU money to host someone else's business venture, with the exception of the in-home workshop method. Because with a workshop, you provide your home, snacks and YOU gets all the hostess benefits

~W

Last edited by willstampforfood; 04-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Stupid typos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargyrle55View Post
As a demo I don't have the space in my home to do my clubs. We do it at the same club members home every month as is the arrangement you have. I bring all of the supplies and the ladies take turns being hostess. She brings the snacks and gets all of the hostess bennies. The wonderful woman who lets us use her home every month gets my discount. I don't charge any extra fee to anyone for supplies except at Christmas when we make 10 cards a month. Then everyone pays the fee. We both think this is fair for the use of her home. HTH!
This seems to be the fair answer the original poster was looking for. I agree that it is an equitable solution for the use of a customer's home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfoodView Post
I'd like to clarify:

You belong to a club where there is a fee charged each month, everyone is required to place a $25 order in ADDITION to the fee AND nobody gets hostess benefits? In addition, she doesn't provide food or drink (do you guys rotate that, or is it just every woman for herself?).

Sounds like you need to find a new demo.
I think she did say toward the beginning of the thread that the hostess benefits were shared at the end of the club. It wasn't clear to me how that was happening, but that was the impression I got. Also, without knowing the number and types of projects she was offering, it's hard for any of us to say whether a supply fee is justified or not. Finally, we really don't know what her demo's goals are in running the club -- is it just to maintain enough orders to stay active or is it to supplement her income. As a hobby demo, I know I am willing to give away more than if I actually depended on stamping to supplement my living.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I will also say that if I had already offered my home without any strings attached, I would feel uncomfortable about going back and asking to change the terms. On the other hand if the demo did not somehow show her gratitude and it was an imposition for me to host, I would not offer next time around.

If I were the demo, I would waive the supply fee for the person hosting the club every month.

Last edited by KristaTracy; 04-19-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

I am a demo and I do clubs and classes in my home. While clubs are a great way to meet the minimums, they are not a great source of income for a demo. If all the club members stuck to their minimum purchases, the income from a club for me would be $40. By the time you add up cost of all the supplies, coffee I make for each person (a home-made latte, yum!), the time I've invested to design the projects, the time I spend with my ladies (3 hours at the time) and munchies I put out, my income is very minimal, so there is no way I would give all of it away. I do not charge an additional fee, I do give all the benefits to my hostesses, and I do a "little something" for my loyal costumers.

However, if someone does something nice for me, I am nice back. So, I would find a way to reward you for your kindness. I would definitely stop charging you the additional fee (I am still somewhat unclear why is it being charged to begin with). I would also have a gift of a sort for you. All that said, if I were not pre-warned about your expectations in return for hosting the club, I would be somewhat upset by you trying to negotiate something after the fact (I am not sure if that is a case or not, so I am not trying to be rude or upsetting anyone). Honestly, I would wait and see if she does something for you. If you didn't ask for a compensation of a sort when offering your home, and she does nothing, I would swallow it and simply not offer your home again. Just my 2 cents. Either way, I hope that this goes in a direction that both of you will be happy and comfortable with.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes