Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Stampin ups New colour palettes

well Stampin up have announced new changes on their color families and i guess it will bring some excitement . I have noticed looking at some of the new colours the new idea may not please all.
when you come to stamp out your christmas projects what green will you be using especially the famous Christmas tree and all those pine trees of seasonal splendour.
Ah well never mind thank goodness i have moved on and away and i can use whatever pine green i like, i guess its what you call a Stampin Up clanger.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I used Garden Green for the pine trees on my Christmas cards this year. Turned out great! Handsome Hunter and Glorious Green are just not my thing. Not sad to see them go. There are a few I will miss, but I'll be stocking up on one or two packs of paper before they're gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone have the list of what colors they are doing away with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

You can see the list on this blog: http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...e-colors-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It figures they'd wait until after SAB for the information to go public to the masses - now if anybody needs those colors to finish projects or for furture ones, they don't get the extra SAB bennies. I haven't been thrilled with much in the way of SU's business tactics for awhile, but I know a bunch of demos who were barely staying afloat. Now, they'll be losing a bunch of demonstratable colors and products. I feel sorry for the lower level business demos who have purchased In Colors to promote and sell. After those colors were "retired", they sold those colors - now only to have to re-purchase them because they're going to be current again.

A lot of the colors that are being retired are typical school colors, especially a lot of the current Bold Brights. Some of those colors are easy to get in cardstock from other companies but some of them are harder to find, especially in 12x12. They are retiring all the colors that I use for my kids' schools as well as my neices' and nephews' schools. I make a lot of projects for the teachers each year as well as for the PTA for teacher appreciation times. All that money will now be going elsewhere because none of the new color "families" will work - they're retiring those that I use. I'm all for having currently trendy colors, but some of the colors they're retiring aren't trendy but are standard colors for a lot of schools and do get used a lot. My future purchases for other companies instead of SU will be increasing drastically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

While I am glad to hear some of the retired 'In Color' shades are returning (Kiwi Kiss?), I am really disappointed that so many of the tried and true colors are retiring. Blush Blossom, Apricot Appeal and Barely Banana???!! What are they THINKING?? Where can we see the list of new colors and returning In Colors?? I guess I'd better stock up on my reinkers and paper. Like I can afford that kind of expense right now. Or maybe I'll just take my business to Papertrey Ink after all.
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Old Olive is a fab holiday color - and dont forget there are going to be new In Colors coming in too so there might be a green in there too - PLUS I am DELIGHTED that Baha Breeze is back - that is just THE perfect color for holiday blues for snow themed cards...and Riding Hood Red? GORGEOUS for the holidays!!! And Pink Pirouette is back? FAB for those baby girl cards and pages - we needed a subtle pink for ages...

I dont see this change as a bad thing at all...I know change is hard to get your head around at first but think of the positives - we now will have stock colors of past favorites that people have been desperate enough to pay tens of dollars for on ebay - I have seen a pack of Wild Wasabi cardstock go for $29 - good grief - it will now be available all year around for $5.95! And there will be new colors to play with too - I am delighted to see that some of the current In Colors are in there...and we will also have ALL colors available in crayons, pastels & markers which I am delighted about...

If you use My Digital Studio you will have the colors in your palette - they are going nowhere - you have those for life :-)

As demos, we have been advised a couple of times NOT to sell our retired In Color items because the potential was there for them to return...

Stampin Up are retiring alot of colors that basically were not great sellers - in terms of business, this makes sense - I know that on an individual basis we all have the colors we love and are sorry to see some of them go, but as with everything else in life we adapt and we will all develop new favorites - you only have to see my paper stash to see that - I go to a scrapbook store and buy papers I LOVE and am convinced I will use - I go back a week later to get more since I dont want to run out - and I repeat when I see more papers on another visit I love...and after a couple of years - oh my - lets just say I am a bit of a hoarder

So don't be sad and down - let it sink in a while and try to embrace the change and enjoy the new colors coming out soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I am very excited about the change. I think we might find that not all the facts have been listed on all the threads? Who knows, I'm all for it no matter what. And, it is possible to stock up on any supplies you might need in the near future, right?

For me, a lot of the colors, while great, were hard to use. They were great in their time but change is good. I'm so looking forward to new colors. And my daughter will be very excited to get all the retiring paper. I'll miss a few but I've already placed an order for those. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

wow a lot of colors are retiring. That means a lot of new ink pads to buy. I love Stampin Up but for me I am not happy that that they are getting rid of so many at once. I can not afford to stock up on all the colors and I really do use all of them. I guess I will really have to be choosy. If they are getting rid of barely banana,(a color I love) will they replace with another pale yellow and just call it something else? I am so loyal to Stampin Up and I will hate to have to buy from somewhere else to get the colors I want.I was drawn to Stampin Up for their color selections. That all being said I am excited to see what colors will come out,just a little disappointed in so many at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default SU New Color Palettes

I will miss Really Rust, Sage Shadow and Ruby Red and a few others. Wish they wouldn't have done this so fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

This kinda sucks! I love using alot of those colors :(. Unfortunately the budget will not allow me to stock up on all those colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Mary Fish has a great post about the color change in her blog found here. While this was a HUGE surprise to me and I will miss many of the old colors, I can understand SU's motives to be current. I am very excited about the return of some of my favorite in colors (river rock and baja breeze to name a few!), excited to see the new "core" colors (that new Daffodil one sounds promising!), and although so many are retiring, I still will have most of the colors in the new groups. I think it'll be easier for new stampers too as the color choices were so overwhelming to many.

Looking through the catalog, I find that the colors they featured were mostly ones that will continue. I also find that my favorites have changed with the years as well. While I loved Mellow Moss for years, lately I reach for Old Olive and Certainly Celery more often. For one, I'm looking forward to the new colors but I'll certainly stock up on a couple of must haves before they're gone!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

AND...some of those "old" in colors are now on sale in the clearance rack section of of Su online (Baja Breeze and Pacific Point). Just an FYI...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I am just happy that Rich Razzleberry is staying. I think I use that color on every single card I make right now!

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I seriously do not like alot of the new colors and most of my favorite standbys are being retired. I was speechless when I read this. It seems that Stampin Up is making alot of changes and I don't think it's all for the best. They changed the basic style of their stamps and now I look on Ebay for alot of them because I like their older stamp sets much more than the newer ones although I do get one of them now and then. It will be impossible for me to stock up enough of the retired colors to keep on hand. I usually make 10 cards of each design for a show, 1 for my sample and 5-6 for my card class. That's a pack of paper right there. I'll be in the poor house :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by hquinzelleView Post
I am just happy that Rich Razzleberry is staying. I think I use that color on every single card I make right now!
I know - I do too - I just stocked up on that during SAB so I am one happy gal :-)

I also LOVE Baha Breeze...ahhhh...I am so happy I stocked on that before it retired as I already have a bunch of cardstock in my stash to use
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

LOL! I definitely sold all of my retired In Color ink pads (and most of my paper) to make room....

I am interested to see what pinks (real pinks) will replace the pinks they are dismissing... I love pink!

I think the changes could be fun. It'll be interesting to see what color schemes, etc. will be showing up on cards. We can think of it as a color challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Change happens in all areas of our life all the time...why not SU? I am going to miss some of the colors that are retiring but I will stock up on the favorites. I am anxious to buy the new stuff too! There is room at my house for all the beautiful papers/cardstocks I love. Not all are SU...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Change happens in all areas of our life all the time...why not SU? I am going to miss some of the colors that are retiring but I will stock up on the favorites. I am anxious to buy the new stuff too! There is room at my house for all the beautiful papers/cardstocks I love. Not all are SU...
blessings.
I agree!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I am really excited for the changes. I have thought for a long time they needed to do a major overhaul on their colors. I am really excited to see the new colors in disigner paper.
Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

How come in the new colors there is a crumb cake listed... That would make 6 new colors. My question is .. will there also be new in colors wow this will kill the pocket book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamelodgeView Post
How come in the new colors there is a crumb cake listed... That would make 6 new colors. My question is .. will there also be new in colors wow this will kill the pocket book.
It's being said that Crumb Cake is Kraft renamed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #23  

Yes, Kraft will be known as Crumb Cake in the new collection - the good thing about that is we will finally have an ink pad and marker for that color too which makes me one happy girl

Yes there will be new In Colors - they are going to introduce 5 new In Colors each year that will run for 2 years - so they will introduce 5 brand new In Colors in July making a total of 45 colors for this new catalog. Those colors will be 'current' for 2 years. We have no idea of what these colors might be yet

Then the following July they will introduce another set of 5 new In Colors - so in that catalog there will be 50 colors - then as far as I am aware, from that point on there will always be 50 colors to play with - the following year the first 5 will retire making room for the next new 5 so that from that point on there will be 10 In colors and each set will run for 2 years - it is a rolling system...I hope that makes sense...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsygirlView Post
Old Olive is a fab holiday color - and dont forget there are going to be new In Colors coming in too so there might be a green in there too - PLUS I am DELIGHTED that Baha Breeze is back - that is just THE perfect color for holiday blues for snow themed cards...and Riding Hood Red? GORGEOUS for the holidays!!! And Pink Pirouette is back? FAB for those baby girl cards and pages - we needed a subtle pink for ages.

That's Awesome!!!! I really LOVE Pink Pirouette It's my favorite Pink.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally am excited to get some new colors. I LOVE most of the retiring colors and am not sure I will get rid of them. My kids are still young and I use a lot of the primary colors for kids cards/ scrapbooking, etc....BUT, I am excited about the new colors. I never bought the In Colors before because they were only good for 1 year....now I'll be more interested in them since they will be good for 2 years. And, some of the old In Colors that I never really used (paper only..I never sunk in and got any ink pads or markers) will be 'core colors' now and I'm excited to 'have' to get them...it's a good excuse, ya know? LOL! I have been a demo for about a year and just got the entire soft subtles ink pads..took them ouot of the plastic this past weekend...drats!!! But, I'm sure I can sell them to my group of girls or just keep them and use them. Not a total waste. I'm excited to see the Neutrals in a family too...I think that was a good idea. I never bought any of those either...just black and white but now to have an entire family color of neutrals I think is wonderful. Those will go with anything! Overall, I'm excited about this move...not thrilled with the $ output it will take, but hopefully with a few good workshops I can get that paid off asap.

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Has anyone heard when this will all take place? I guess I didn't listen well enough. Will this start during the new catalog or can we purchase in advance. I want to let my ladies know so they can stock up on some they know they can't live without, but i don't want to kill my sales too far in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #27  

Demos can preorder on June 1st - customers can order from July 1st
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsygirlView Post
Yes, Kraft will be known as Crumb Cake in the new collection - the good thing about that is we will finally have an ink pad and marker for that color too which makes me one happy girl

Yes there will be new In Colors - they are going to introduce 5 new In Colors each year that will run for 2 years - so they will introduce 5 brand new In Colors in July making a total of 45 colors for this new catalog. Those colors will be 'current' for 2 years. We have no idea of what these colors might be yet

Then the following July they will introduce another set of 5 new In Colors - so in that catalog there will be 50 colors - then as far as I am aware, from that point on there will always be 50 colors to play with - the following year the first 5 will retire making room for the next new 5 so that from that point on there will be 10 In colors and each set will run for 2 years - it is a rolling system...I hope that makes sense...
Thank you for answering my Questions. Mostly good changes a few colors are a bummer but..... Change is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone noticed that most, if not all, of the positive reactions to the SU renovation are posted by SU demonstrators? I feel bad for them, because SU is doing too much at once and may alienate customers who relied on the continuity of the SU line. I for one, am not at all happy with the retiring-unretiring-retiring cycle. Time for me to shop elewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I think the fact that they have not changed their color line very much in 20+ years says a lot about their continuity. But there is a time to change and this will be a good change. Look at some of the other stamp and ink company colors and you won't see that they are behind the times. SU just works more slowly and positively to make their changes. I haven't always liked all their changes and still wish they had come out with completely clear stamps, but we got what we got. There is so much to running a business as large as SU and we don't know all the ins and outs of their business. I'm excited about getting the River Rock, Riding Hood Red, and Pacific Point back! Those were great sellers and I made good money on them-well, got to order more stuff since I put all my income back into my little hobby. I can't wait for June 1 so I can order mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

having just purchased the entire set of ink pads in the last 4 months and the entire set of markers....this just ticks me off...I'm beginning to think it must be me....everytime I finally make a decision and spend a chunk on something - things change drastically...
I held out for months on buying a die cutting machine and when I finally made my decision, within a month of receiving it....something new comes out that I wish I had waited for.....
I also agree with others that timing this after the celebration sale was on the sneaky side of business...maybe they need to be reminded that it's their customers that make them successful....PERIOD; and I also notice that the majority of people pumping this up are the demos....and I feel sorry for them...they got "blindsided" too.
I have found myself buying more and more stamps from on line sites and as I look through my 100 + sets of stampin up - I realize that a lot of them are "the same", but the stamps I have purchased from different companies are a wide variety and I have thoroughly enjoyed using them..so we shall see what happens at my demo's open house this weekend....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have already posted about this on another thread but I think it bears repeating. Can *anyone* explain to me how it makes sense to bring back Pink Pirouette while keeping Pretty in Pink? They're virtually the same color!!! Meanwhile, *both* Pink Passion and Pixie Pink are retiring? Why couldn't SU have kept one? IMO, it seems like there will be giant holes in the rainbow (esp. No light purple options). I am a hobby demo, so I can't honestly say that this will affect my business, but for those of us who are demos primarily for the discount, this transition could potentially break the bank. I have read in several threads that it is no big deal, just stock up now. Ok- as soon as my money tree blooms, I'll do that! I love most of the new colors, I just wish that SU would have phased them in instead of dramatically hacking away at half the existing colors. I am sure getting all the new colors and stocking up on all faves is a great idea as long as you are independently wealthy. I, however, am not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Default SU New color pallettes

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinAimeeCTView Post
I have already posted about this on another thread but I think it bears repeating. Can *anyone* explain to me how it makes sense to bring back Pink Pirouette while keeping Pretty in Pink? They're virtually the same color!!! Meanwhile, *both* Pink Passion and Pixie Pink are retiring? Why couldn't SU have kept one? IMO, it seems like there will be giant holes in the rainbow (esp. No light purple options). I am a hobby demo, so I can't honestly say that this will affect my business, but for those of us who are demos primarily for the discount, this transition could potentially break the bank. I have read in several threads that it is no big deal, just stock up now. Ok- as soon as my money tree blooms, I'll do that! I love most of the new colors, I just wish that SU would have phased them in instead of dramatically hacking away at half the existing colors. I am sure getting all the new colors and stocking up on all faves is a great idea as long as you are independently wealthy. I, however, am not.
I love using Pink Pirouette and Pretty in Pink together. There is quite a difference in shades (to me anyway).
I wish they had done this more slowly. Gees, I just got most of the colors over the past year or so and now they are gone. Waste of money on several of them.
I do really like the new colors, especially River Rock and Pink Pirouette but wish we had some purples and a few more browns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

I dont think anyone seems is going to miss handsome hunter,thats what i was talking about initially, but who cares anyway i shall be getting rid of all my stampin up stuff im tired with them and so are some others from the posts on various threads .
i cannot understand Stampin up as a companys logic, i do believe they must be getting like Avon the company for women, with all the pink and more pink definately not a company for men.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut14View Post
I love using Pink Pirouette and Pretty in Pink together. There is quite a difference in shades (to me anyway).
I wish they had done this more slowly. Gees, I just got most of the colors over the past year or so and now they are gone. Waste of money on several of them.
I do really like the new colors, especially River Rock and Pink Pirouette but wish we had some purples and a few more browns.
I thought they were the same, too, until I made my own color chart with all the previous in-colors and core colors. They are very different. Andrew, I believe I have heard you say that about SU before, but here you are, starting another SU thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I am entilteld to my personal opinions like it or not ok yah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew overtonView Post
I am entilteld to my personal opinions like it or not ok yah.
Where in my post did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion? Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconView Post
I thought they were the same, too, until I made my own color chart with all the previous in-colors and core colors. They are very different. Andrew, I believe I have heard you say that about SU before, but here you are, starting another SU thread!
I must need new glasses. I have often accidentally used one or the other with the wrong dp, ribbon, etc.and couldn't discern the difference. I know that, technically, they're two different colors, but it is *extremely* subtle and IMHO, ludicrous that they'd keep two so similar and leave so many other shades unrepresented.I guess I feel like I am missing something that SU and the other posters on this thread are getting. Ok I am starting to sound like a whiney paper brat now- tagging out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinAimeeCTView Post
I must need new glasses. I have often accidentally used one or the other with the wrong dp, ribbon, etc.and couldn't discern the difference. I know that, technically, they're two different colors, but it is *extremely* subtle and IMHO, ludicrous that they'd keep two so similar and leave so many other shades unrepresented.I guess I feel like I am missing something that SU and the other posters on this thread are getting. Ok I am starting to sound like a whiney paper brat now- tagging out!
I wish I could post the color chart but don't think my camera would do it justice. I worked on it last night because I do need knew glasses and the computer monitor didn't get for me. You aren't sounding like a whiney brat! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I'm not a demo, and I'm fine with the change. For those who want barely banana, I have it and have never used it Let me know, and I'll send it out. I think all of us love a certain color, love a certain stamp, and love a certain embelishment. You can't please everyone ALL of the time. I have stamps from a dozen stamp companies. I use Stampin up paper and ink and I have WAY more than I'll ever use. Some of the colors coming back I went GA GA over so I'm pretty happy they are coming back!
Reply With Quote Likes