Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Colors

Has anyone heard that SU is revamping their colors and getting rid of quite a few of them (heard that over 25 colors are going)?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh great!! So happy I invested in a bunch of inks and all the stamping spots. Ugh!! That is really frustrating!

Wife of Mike, and mum to Andrew and Gabrielle - the loves of my life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

If that is truly the case, I will be more than happy to complete the switch over to PTI. So many people have so much money invested in their color system and that is one of the big things they push. It should remain somewhat constant. If it won't, I am more than happy to take my money else where.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Default New Colors

This is what I have heard the new colors will be:

There will be 4 color groups: Brights, Neutrals, Regels, and Subtles.

In the Bright Collection: Regal Rose, Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Pacific Point, Tempting Turquoise, Old Olive, Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Tangerine Tango, Real Red

In the Neutrals Collection: River Rock, Chocolate Chip, Soft Suede, Early Expresso, Crumb Cake, Sahara Sand, Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Basic Gray, Basic Black

In the Regels Collection: Elegant Eggplant, Night of Navy, Not Quite Navy, Always Artichoke, Garden Green, More Mustard, Cajun Craze, Riding Hood Red, Cherry Cobbler, Bravo Burgundy

In the Subtles Collection: Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Rose Red, Perfect Plum, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue, Baja Breeze, Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery, So Faffron

Looks like they are keeping 25 colors, bringing back 10 in-colors, and adding 5 new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Michele is correct. There will also be a total of 10 In-Colors added, in groups of 5. Each set of five will be available for TWO years instead of one!

I think the big bonus of this is colors get old and stale after a couple of years. By switching up and then adding rotating In Colors to our "core" colors (like we always have), we can keep up with other scrapbooking and papercraft vendors.

This isn't the first itme SU had switched up their color pallette. Summer of 2005 (I think that's right) we got 10 or 12 new colors. The difference is that time we had 48 colors in 4 color families, 6 In Colors and 6 neutrals for a total of 60 colors. Now we'll have 4 color groups of 10 colors each and 10 In-Colors, for a total of 50 colors. The funny thing is that I remember how people threatend to leave the company over it last time and now I would be hard pressed to name even three of the colors we "lost".

We are just now seeing some things on the SU site that show how well the colors they have chosen go together. Talk to your demonstrator about this change. If you're a demo, go see for yourself what the scoop it.

Once you get over the initial shock, it's pretty amazing!

~W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
If that is truly the case, I will be more than happy to complete the switch over to PTI. So many people have so much money invested in their color system and that is one of the big things they push. It should remain somewhat constant. If it won't, I am more than happy to take my money else where.
When I first read about it, that was my first thought too! I am so happy PTI doesn't retire anything! I quit using my SU stamps a long time ago, but still use some SU paper and inks, when I don't have the right PTI color. I am happy to say I will be a PTI only girl from now on!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is in the "it figgers" catagory for me. At SAB I finished my collection of all color families. Ink, paper, reinkers, markers. grrrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by speanburg4View Post
When I first read about it, that was my first thought too! I am so happy PTI doesn't retire anything! I quit using my SU stamps a long time ago, but still use some SU paper and inks, when I don't have the right PTI color. I am happy to say I will be a PTI only girl from now on!!!
Me To!!!! I still use 4 colors from SU that are now retiring. PTI will get all my cardstock money. from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I guess that my daughter & I must have been the only ones using much purple - they're retiring almost all of their purples! No more Lovely Lilac? Adios Almost Amethyst? GULP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

WOWZER!!! Was shocked when this happened last time and did come to really love the "add ons". Was just about to order a few more pads,...will wait. It is exciting and glad SU is staying competitive. Like the longer life of the "in"colors,...my fave set was the first the "vintage" color group,...still have a bit of paper left. As has been said before,...change is inevitable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

WHat is PTI??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will miss some of the lighter purples, but Rich Razzleberry is being added to the core and the new In Colors has a purple in it too.

All one can say is you can't please all of the people all of the time. I truly understand SUs decision now that it has been explained to me through their online resources. For many people, there will be positives and negatives, like all changes.

I loved when Bazzill brought out their "matching inks" but that was still just a select few compared to the 500+ colors of CS they have.

PTI seems to be the "hot" manufacturer now. It seems easy to think "I'll just switch." And believe me, I see the appeal of their great products judging from the avid following they have built just since August of 2009. But in 5 years what will they carry? How about 20, like SU? Really, if any vendor carries the same stuff in 20 years, how dated would that be?

This change is large, but part of SUs bigger plan to keep their palette fresh (and manageable for consumers) for years to come.

Hope this helps a little for anyone wondering about the new color renovation (still can't say it with a straight face).

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
This is in the "it figgers" catagory for me. At SAB I finished my collection of all color families. Ink, paper, reinkers, markers. grrrrrrr.
The cool part about this is that the retiring colors and the "new" colors will still coordinate with each other the way they did before! You can still use those things together and add the ones you love! It's a bit of a shock right off the bat but the truth is, you can still use the colors, brand and items that you love. You'll actually have MORE option with some of the great new colors we've added!

~W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

shocker but agree, it can be exciting for an update in the colors.
I do have the spots and didn't collect all the papers, but I do have a good amount.
I'm just a paper collector and have from everywhere
so it doesn't affect me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I'm stoked! I love the new colors and I'm super jazzed to have back some of my all-time favorites like Riding Hood Red, Pirouette Pink, and Baja Breeze. And I get to keep Mambo Melon! Woo Hoo!

Change is really hard for me, but this one I think is good and will also be better over the long haul. I do own all of the classic pads, spots and reinkers, craft spots and reinkers, markers, cardstock, pastels and watercolor wonder crayons so I definitely feel some of you pain. There is a lot that I won't be able to get refills for, but I'll just use and enjoy what I have and by then I'll be ready to let go and embrace the new collections.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

I'm glad to see some of my favorite In Colors that I was sorry to see go. For instance, I missed out on stocking up on Pacific Point before it went out and was sorry. Though now I'll have a bunch of Soft Subtles ink that are hard to use with anything except the coordinating paper. So I suppose it's a trade off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post
I will miss some of the lighter purples, but Rich Razzleberry is being added to the core and the new In Colors has a purple in it too.

All one can say is you can't please all of the people all of the time. I truly understand SUs decision now that it has been explained to me through their online resources. For many people, there will be positives and negatives, like all changes.

I loved when Bazzill brought out their "matching inks" but that was still just a select few compared to the 500+ colors of CS they have.

PTI seems to be the "hot" manufacturer now. It seems easy to think "I'll just switch." And believe me, I see the appeal of their great products judging from the avid following they have built just since August of 2009. But in 5 years what will they carry? How about 20, like SU? Really, if any vendor carries the same stuff in 20 years, how dated would that be?

This change is large, but part of SUs bigger plan to keep their palette fresh (and manageable for consumers) for years to come.

Hope this helps a little for anyone wondering about the new color renovation (still can't say it with a straight face).

THE Reason why I will be changing is they have the purple shades that SU is getting rid of. THat is my reason that I will now have to buy from them. Also a few other colors that SU is getting rid of I can still get similar colors from PTI.
THAT is why I will be switching to all PTI now. I just got a bag of SU colors I ordered last week but this will be the last as they are on the retiring list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I am a demo and very happy about this. It is funny, demos always ask for new colors, but we never can agree on what ones we want retired. But all companies change colors. The reality is if we want new colors eventually you have to get rid of some of the old ones. It is not realistic for most companies to keep coming out with new colors and not retire old ones.

If you have the colors that are retiring you have not wasted your money. They still work just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have just now been able to start listening to the webinar and look at SS. Wow- that took a while!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I shouldn't have said anything- it just shut me down after 5 in a half minutes... oy. guess i have the jist of things... and i really should get dressed...maybe that's a sign...:rolleyes:

Yep- posting on the wrong thread--- definitely a sign to get away from the computer!!!

think positive ladies!

Last edited by 3girls1guy; 04-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: i've lost it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

LoL...change is hard sometimes...I will miss several of the outgoing colors too. I will stock up like I have done with the InColors as they retire and perhaps over time with the beautiful new colors coming I will not miss them so much. I love it that SU keeps up with the changing times and colors. Just because they retire doesnt mean we cant still use them especially for my projects like the cards for the troops....blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I am looking forward to it. I am so excited to see some of the old In Colors coming back!!! YAY! They've also added some GREAT colors. I really like the new neutrals, as they are not so heavy on the grays. Didn't like the old Brights at all, but this is a much nicer collection for me.

I will miss many of the colors, but I'm OK with change. I can still use the colors I have even if they are retired.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by Saucy1; 04-06-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethScrapView Post
If you have the colors that are retiring you have not wasted your money. They still work just fine.
That's a great point. Really, I would think if anyone would be upset it would be demos and not regular customers, since demos can't use retired colors in their business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
THE Reason why I will be changing is they have the purple shades that SU is getting rid of. THat is my reason that I will now have to buy from them. Also a few other colors that SU is getting rid of I can still get similar colors from PTI.
THAT is why I will be switching to all PTI now. I just got a bag of SU colors I ordered last week but this will be the last as they are on the retiring list.
That makes sense. I guess your pink and purple sig lines gives you away!
I never used them much until this past Christmas. I broke out the Eggplant (staying) and made some great cards. Then the spring DSP was purple heavy so I used more shades. But since I am fond or greens and blues, it was not so bad for me.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Stampin' Up! has been in business for 20+ years. Do you really want ALL the same colors from 20 years ago? I sure don't!!!! I for one am thrilled with this color renovation.

The papercrafting industry grows by leaps and bounds every year. Stampin' Up! spent two years working with focus groups, interviewing customers and demos, researching color trends, reviewing sales figures, etc. After all this research, the color renovation came to fruition.

I find it very hard to believe that other stamp companies (like PTI and Gina K) won't do their own research as their companies get older and re-evaluate their colors as well when the time comes. It just makes good business sense!!!!!

If you love some SU colors that are going away, stock up on your favorite cardstock and reinkers if you can!!! Otherwise, I am looking forward to a wild ride with some new color combinations and colors to play with!!!

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Try not to be frustrated! Wait until you can see everything, and then decide.

Last time they made a change, I stocked up on the retiring colors I thought I couldn't live without...haven't touched them since.

You will be "wowed" by the new colors. They are truely amazing! And the returing In Colors are beautiful. It's gonna be a wonderful bunch of colors to play with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
I'd be annoyed too but remember you can exchange anything unopened if it's within 90 days. You have to pay to ship it back to SU but they cover shipping the new stuff to you. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I've seen this coming...I predicted two years ago that they were testing the in colors to replace their regular colors!

I'm sad for some to go, but I'm stoked for some favorite in colors to come back!!

Change is hard, but it is inevitable!! We'll get used to it...we always do!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I guess that my daughter & I must have been the only ones using much purple - they're retiring almost all of their purples! No more Lovely Lilac? Adios Almost Amethyst? GULP!

Yes, I will SO miss Almost Amethyst. I'm not even a big lover of purple. Can you say "Stock up"? I'll get a reinker too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am so thrilled to see some favorites back...River Rock, Baja Breeze. I mean, I even "coined" the phrase River Rock worthy to my stampers because I only use my little stash on really special cards, LOL! The new colors look fresh and pretty and we haven't seen the new in-colors yet. I will miss Bordering Blue but I find that when I am forced to move out of a rut, I am so much happier with my stamping. I know so many are still digesting the info but there are definitely some colors I have never used. I'm ready for a fresh new outlook!! Happy stamping, everyone!

My Blog: Stampin' on the Fly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I think it's a change for the better. I am excited that this year instead of 6 new in-colors, we'll be getting 5 (i think) new colors and 5 new in-colors. 10 new colors is cool any way you look at it! There were only a few on the list that are retiring that I used often, sad to see Close to Cocoa go but Soft Suede and the new espresso color will have it covered!
Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I spent the last 3 years collecting SU color groups, including my SAB purchase of all the re-inkers this year. I�m not willing to spend more on adding SU new colors.

I recently purchased PTI white, vintage cream, and their assorted color pack. I loved them all.

I think I was almost exclusively SU cardstock and papers as a crutch for color coordination. Now I won�t feel compelled to stay SU exclusive.

I guess it will depend on whether SU offers things like spots and re-inkers individually. I already have all four sets. As someone already said�we�ll just have to wait and see. :neutral:

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #33  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

You have a very positive attitude! And I like "RR worthy" - that's how I felt about Riding Hood Red and Pacific Point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentimkoView Post
I am so thrilled to see some favorites back...River Rock, Baja Breeze. I mean, I even "coined" the phrase River Rock worthy to my stampers because I only use my little stash on really special cards, LOL! The new colors look fresh and pretty and we haven't seen the new in-colors yet. I will miss Bordering Blue but I find that when I am forced to move out of a rut, I am so much happier with my stamping. I know so many are still digesting the info but there are definitely some colors I have never used. I'm ready for a fresh new outlook!! Happy stamping, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

So, how long do I have to stock up on the colors I love the most before they retire them?
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbiejoView Post
WHat is PTI??

PTI is Papertrey. Check out papertreyink.com , but dont' say I didn't warn you! You'll love it!! ;)

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #36  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

soft sky? cool carribean?
anyone know if they made it back?

the more the merrier I say- and some of those other colors needed to go! Kudos to SU! for trying to keep up with trends!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I am really excited about the new colors and changes. The current palette was feeling really dated to me so any change to the lineup is welcome.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsmumView Post
Oh great!! So happy I invested in a bunch of inks and all the stamping spots. Ugh!! That is really frustrating!
That's exactly what happened to me!! I just received mine TODAY even! I got all the spots and the reinkers! I am very annoyed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
soft sky? cool carribean?
anyone know if they made it back?

the more the merrier I say- and some of those other colors needed to go! Kudos to SU! for trying to keep up with trends!
neither of those, AJ....

there's another thread that has a link to the retired list and the new groups, it's "what's the SU! announcement" thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfoodView Post
The cool part about this is that the retiring colors and the "new" colors will still coordinate with each other the way they did before! You can still use those things together and add the ones you love! It's a bit of a shock right off the bat but the truth is, you can still use the colors, brand and items that you love. You'll actually have MORE option with some of the great new colors we've added!

~W
You can sugar coat it all that you want, but I am not happy. I have had the complete set for about 2 weeks. Not happy. will not be happy. for a long time. I am done buying SU inks.
Reply With Quote Likes