Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glossy accents keeps getting clogged

any tips? i always recap, store it upright, i use it pretty regularly but i am forever sticking a pin into the nozzle. i am sure that will do harm eventually.

with my glitter art glue i can remove the cap and wash it out when it gets stuck.....i now have a hole in that top as the glue sticks up in the cap and i have removed it so often the top has a hole....which i gooped hot glue on to seal .

cant remove and clean the nozzle with either crystal laquer or glossy accents though.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I unplug mine with a bent jumbo paper clip - works like a charm, keeps the hole small and does not cause that "rust" effect of needles/pins left in the cap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I use a piercer to unclog mine but it eventually didn't work anymore so I trimmed the tip. Then after trimming several times, the hole was too big. I got a new bottle. Ugh! Then the new bottle, the opening split wide open! I guess I am going to be on my 3rd bottle shortly. I wish there was a way to keep it from clogging for sure, and I use mine almost daily!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a stick pin in mine all the time (the kind with the little ball at the end). I do that for all my adhesives with those tiny nozzles and it seems to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctychickView Post
I keep a stick pin in mine all the time (the kind with the little ball at the end). I do that for all my adhesives with those tiny nozzles and it seems to work.
A couple of people have posted that eventually the pin would rust if left in the cap for a long time -- even if it was supposedly a stainless steel pin! Storing the bottle upside-down seems to prevent the product hardening inside the nozzle due to air exposure.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
any tips? i always recap, store it upright, i use it pretty regularly but i am forever sticking a pin into the nozzle. i am sure that will do harm eventually.

with my glitter art glue i can remove the cap and wash it out when it gets stuck.....i now have a hole in that top as the glue sticks up in the cap and i have removed it so often the top has a hole....which i gooped hot glue on to seal .

cant remove and clean the nozzle with either crystal laquer or glossy accents though.
What usually works best for supplies of this type is to store them tip down...the clog is dried stuff in the hole, and storing it tip down keeps the stuff from drying out. A good shake (or two) will distribute and blend the contents in the bottle when you're ready to use it.

I store just almost all supplies in an applicator tip bottle (including glues and fabric paints) tip down. A dab of the paint on the bottom of the container lets me see the color of each container. An inexpensive storing 'rack' is a long bar of styrofoam...I just push the tightly closed top into the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks for the suggestions. i will store upside down....at least i wasnt the only one who had problems with clogging.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I also store upside down and it works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am able to pop off the top of the Glossy Accents and run the cap under hot water, stick a toothpick down the tip of it and run it though hot water again. Bam... It's cleared out and easy to use again. Have you thought about sticking in a needle to keep the bottle tip cleared? Never had a problem, just rinse under hot water and it unclogs itself.
arubberstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default What about Stickles

Do you think storing Stickles upside down will work, too? I have had major problems with them getting clogged.
Thanks,
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do it a little differently. ;)
After I've used it, I hold the bottle upright & squeeze the last little bit that was in the tip out onto a rag, paper towel, etc. Once the tip has cleared (I make sure air can easily pass through) I recap & store upright. Rarely do I have difficulty anymore - but when I do I pry off the tip & wash it out. DH says I should stick a pin in the top before using pliers to get the tip off so that I don't deform it. I guess he should know... he's got more glue than I do! (and *that's* saying something!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
What usually works best for supplies of this type is to store them tip down...the clog is dried stuff in the hole, and storing it tip down keeps the stuff from drying out. A good shake (or two) will distribute and blend the contents in the bottle when you're ready to use it.

I store just almost all supplies in an applicator tip bottle (including glues and fabric paints) tip down. A dab of the paint on the bottom of the container lets me see the color of each container. An inexpensive storing 'rack' is a long bar of styrofoam...I just push the tightly closed top into the foam.
This sounds like an excellent idea! I've tried the pin in the top and it is only moderately successful. The styro block would assure that the bottle would stay perfectly upright because of the customize hole for the tip/lid -- brilliant solution on your part! :cool: TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I've found that tapping (relatively sharply) on a table when done using clears the tip. Then make sure that air flows out of the tip. I do put a corsage pin in glues but am careful because some formulas will cause the pin to rust. Never put a pin in Flower Soft glue - you'll ruin the whole bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by byingstView Post
I've found that tapping (relatively sharply) on a table when done using clears the tip. Then make sure that air flows out of the tip. I do put a corsage pin in glues but am careful because some formulas will cause the pin to rust. Never put a pin in Flower Soft glue - you'll ruin the whole bottle.
There are stainless steel pins...quilters use them. The higher the water content in the supply (I'm guessing Flower Soft Glue has a high water content), the more likely the rust...BUT staniless steel pins will not rust. Although I've never tested them in excess of 12 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a note for Glossy Accents users: don't shake the bottle because it causes bubbles to form.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Loved the styrofoam idea. Can't believe I never thought of this. I also store my Stickles and glossy accent, and flower soft upside down, but couldn't come up with a clever way to keep them like this without them falling over as soon as I took one out! Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought piece of styrofoam and squished my bottle lids into it. I couldn't push or turn them hard enough to go deep enough to hold the bottle without tipping. So I made a small indentation then took the lid off the bottle, placed it in the small indent, set a piece of wood on top of it and hit it several times with a hammer. It drove the lid down almost all the way. Then I inserted the stickles, glossy accents or whatever, screwed it into the lid and it comes right out. Looks pretty cool too. Now I can't wait to see if it really keeps my tips from clogging. Thanks for the great tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for the tips! I just opened a new bottle, this info will
come in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I do the same thing as posted in comment #11. After I've used it I tap the base strongly on my desk to get the glue back into the base. I then squeeze the bottle for the last bit of air bubbles until only air is coming through the tip. I clean the nozzle with a wet wipe and have no problems with the nozzle for its next use.

I originally tried using a pin with the ball at the top, but when I pulled the cap off the ball got stuck in the cap, while the sharp pin was left inside the bottle nozzle--not fun to remove. I've also tried using a safety pin left in the nozzle and sealed with a cap, but the pin got rusty.

AND I've kept it upside down...and that seemed to work well most of the time. But I found that it's always best to wipe the nozzle when finished.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest mistake was buying one of those empty pico embellisher bottles with the needle cap that goes down into the nozzle. Although the glue I use works well with a narrow steel tip if I keep a stainless pin in it and wipe it off each time, these with the pin attached to the cap did not work well with glossy accents. Although I capped it immediately and ran the pin up and down sever times first it immediately seized up. Have not had luck with those although I have had luck with other steel nozzles that are a hair bigger. Right now I am soaking this one in very hot water but it doesn't seem to be softening. I'm hesitant to put my Ranger Multi medium matte in one of these because of that although I have seen that recommended on one site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by HevnLee2View Post
I do the same thing as posted in comment #11. After I've used it I tap the base strongly on my desk to get the glue back into the base. I then squeeze the bottle for the last bit of air bubbles until only air is coming through the tip. I clean the nozzle with a wet wipe and have no problems with the nozzle for its next use.
I started a recent thread about this because I became so frustrated with this product and the bottle! I contacted Ranger, and the directions above are exactly what they recommend. I had already decanted some GA into a needle-nose bottle which was a disaster, so I bought a new small bottle of GA and have used that advice to pretty good effect, though I still need to use a small paperclip or pin to unplug the nozzle even after performing that procedure!

I'm now using Judikin's Diamond Glaze � it's not as good but I have no problems getting that product out of any bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that didn't fare well with the needle nosed bottle. I'm not ruining any more needle nosed applicators. I guess my frustration is that I like to adhere small things or go into small areas with Glossy Accents. The tip is kind of big for that. I'll also use the advice about the baby wipes on the big tip. FYI I just finished boiling my needle nose tip in hopes of unclogging it. No luck with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I switched my GA to a fine gauge bottle with the needle in the lid and it works really well for me. I have to make sure I do the following:

Wipe the tip to remove any left over GA
Plunge the needle in 2-3 times before I screw it closed
Close it immediately after every use

I've been using it for a few months now and so long as I do the 3 steps above it never clogs but if I don't do these steps it clogs.

Also, I wouldn't think that boiling the tip would work since GA is water proof - maybe try holding the tip with tweezers and using your heat gun to melt it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Thanks stamp happy. You know what, I'm going to try it again since you have had success. I thought I had gone through all the steps but maybe I didn't. I know I do the needle plunging with the regular glue I use and it works great . I really like the tiny drops with the small nozzle. Yeah, that clogged nozzle is fried I just have to let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Would anyone mind posting a link to the needle nose bottle they bought. I see several on eBay but I want one that people have had good luck with. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I found the Imagine Crafts nozzles I bought at a local LSS to be too small for Glossy Accents. The product in those (irresistible embellisher) is quite a bit thinner than GA and I messed up my applicator using it for the much thicker GA. Maybe others are having better luck. I like the metal needle tops that come with my go to glue Roxanne's Baste It. I use Roxanne’s for all of my craft gluing except photos and it is the same consistency as GA. It is sold at quilting shops and some LSS as well as online. Amazon has it. The glue comes with two needles in two lengths and will fit the 2oz. GA bottles. I followed happy stampers advice for keeping the nozzles clear (especially the pin jigging up and down) and it’s working. If you want to purchase a specific gauge of needle nosed bottle you can go here 1/2 Ounce Products - Translucent Bottle - Travel Size. They make the Roxanne nozzles and give recommendations for which to use for which product. Jennifer McGuire featured some nozzles on her website that she has had success with also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I've just got a great little tool - a quilling needle tool. It is essentially a very long,thin pointed thing with a handle. I can now unblock nozzles to my heart's content.
Reply With Quote Likes