Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercolor questions

Several people in the thread for Black ink opinions said they only use water colors.

What type of water colors are you using? And what paper are you using for the water coloring ?
Thanks
barbara
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Barbara,

I use at least 140 lb watercolor paper, you can get them in packs, sometimes they are on sale too. You can buy 90lb paper (which I also have), however it is harder to get a "blend" on the lighter paper.

I am really into using the distress ink to water color right now, but I also have used water based ink of any type. For instance you can put your water based ink pad onto something that is non porous, ie, a cd case, acetate and so on, then pick up the color with your brush.

In addition I have also used water color paints, the cake type (just my own preference), Yarka brand (great watercolor paints, got them at Dick Blicks.)

Also, I find that stamping in black and then quickly embossing my image with clear embossing powder helps keep the color where I want it to stay.

One last thing: the 140 lb paper has two sides, one is rougher then the other, I usually use the smoother side as the images stamp better.

The best advice is to practice, practice and practice some more...and read up on watercolor techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the information!!
I don't have any Distress ink. What is the difference between Distress ink and other dye based ink? Does it look patchy?

I have a couple of SU reinkers.
Thank you
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I just learned that the distress inks keep their color when applied - their colors don't separate into base colors when water is added (for example, I have a blue dye ink that separates into some varying shades of blue and purple when I watercolor with it).

As far as watercoloring mediums...I usually reach for reinkers because I keep a few drops of all my favorite colors there in my palette right in reach. I also use Derwent watercolor pencils, and have an assortment of Twinkling H2Os and Shimmerz, some Yasutomo pearlescent watercolors.... I also have watercolor markers (Marvy LePlume) and crayons but use them more rarely.

Here's a link to my watercolored 'stuff'...................
http://mamadinis.blogspot.com/search.../watercoloring
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #5  

on paper...I have a variety - but it's true that you get what you pay for, generally. Strathmore 140# paper is a pretty good value. Paper lighter than that may warp with too much water. Cheap stuff (ie. from the W*lm*rt art section) may not allow for good color blending.

Here is another thread with more answers to your questions: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree about using at least 140 lb. watercolor paper. I find the blending to be a lot smoother on thicker paper. For cold-pressed watercolor paper, I use Canson Montval from Michael's. If you prefer a smoother watercolor paper, try the hot-pressed variety. Dick Blick online has a few options. It's a little pricier than cold-pressed paper, but the smooth surface makes the stamped image come out a lot clearer.

For watercolors, I normally use my SU reinkers because I think they're the easiest to use and great for the smooth, even look. I also use Twinkling H2O's for my sparkly projects (sometimes in conjunction with another watercolor medium). And I have Caran D'Ache watercolor pencils (for detailed blending) and crayons (for opaque watercoloring), and Tombow markers. I like them all for different reasons. I think the only thing I'm missing is traditional watercolors. =)

Hope this helps!

My Gallery

Last edited by Cal Bear Stamper; 03-16-2010 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too agree with the 140 lb watercolor paper. You may want to buy some 90lb paper of the same brand to use as a cardbase - so that it will match the texture and color of the w/c paper you use for your stamped and colored image.
For watercolors, I've used water based markters and reinkers (su, marvy, etc.), as well as Lyra watercolor crayons. I also picked up one of those watercolor sets at Michaels with a coupon and they work well too.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep, another vote for 140lb here and I usually go for hot press as it gives you a cleaner impression, especially if you are using detailed stamps.

Distress Inks, as Dini said, keep their true colour when you mix with water. Inks breaking down to constituent colours can be fun but it's not always what you want! Here's an example in my gallery where I did want it. I used Distress Inks on the lions but I used Adirondack Stonewashed for the "sky" - you can see how there are tinges of purple and a couple of different blues going on there, that's all one ink, no colour blending at all. It's hit and miss as to exactly what shade you get where but it can be fun for backgrounds!

I did a tutorial on using Distress Inks for watercolouring here if you're interested in seeing more of how they work out.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #9  

Here's a card I did with regular reinkers where the colors separated too - this is with Adirondack Denim.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

All of this information is very helpful!! Thanks

What is the difference between "Hot Press " and "Cold Press" water color paper?
Also I saw some sets of Ink at Hobby Lobby. Would those work for water coloring
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-17-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Here's a card I did with regular reinkers where the colors separated too - this is with Adirondack Denim.
Interesting - I wonder if blues are less stable than some other colours? Mind you, browns are notoriously unstable (purple is not necessarily what you wanted when you started off with brown!). Great card, Dini!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
What is the difference between "Hot Press " and "Cold Press" water color paper?
Basically the texture of the surface. Hot press has a much smoother finish whereas cold press has what most people would think of as the "classic" watercolour paper finish, slightly orange peel textured, I guess. If you're using very detailed stamps, the texture of cold press can mean that little bits get missed from your stamped impression. The manufacturing process is slightly different and it takes a bit more effort to produce hot press which is why it's a little more expensive that cold press.

What kind of inks were the HL set? If you're going to spend money rather than trying out with something you already have on hand, you might be better to spend it on something that specifically intended for watercolouring (cakes of paint or watercolour pencils or crayons for example) as you'll be sure of getting colour stability if that's going to be important to you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a selection of reinkers because I am fairly new to this. I only bought a reinker for Razzleberry and Bermuda Bay because those colors will be discontinued this year.
I can see it is more economical to use reinkers as they would be dual purpose.
I am going shopping tomorrow and I will buy some watercolor paper

I do Parchment craft and have all of the Pergamano inks. They work well on vellum, however I never tried them on water color paper. The colors do not separate when diluted, because I must dilute them to apply them to vellum.

I am also want to try Distressed ink . I never bought it because I thought it produced a stressed look, which doesn't appeal to me.
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread!!
Another technique to try
Thanks!!
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I think it would be fun to experiment with your Pergamano inks Barbara, I can't see any reason they wouldn't work on watercolour paper and if they're designed to be diluted then you're off to a good start.

Have fun playing!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also use 140 lb paper (Strathmore). I use Winsor & Newton Cotman (student grade) tube watercolours, but that's just 'cause I bought a starter set of these at Michael's for 40% off. As I use up each tube of colour though, I'll replace it with the professional grade. I used to use re-inker inks, calligraphy inks, inkpads, and also watercolour pencils (Derwent I think) to watercolour with, but I am most familiar and comfortable with the tube watercolours. I can mix and match the pigments to produce close-enough matches to the cardstock that I'm using for that particular card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I only use 140lb Strathmore Cold Press Water Colour paper and I use primarily Tombow Markers and re-inkers for water colouring. I have both SU and more recently the Distress re-inkers and they last forever. Well worth the investment as are Tombow Dual Tip Brush Markers (water based marker).

The flower image has been water coloured with my Tombows and the flower pot with the bird has been done with re-inkers. I love water colouring with inks because of the intensity of colour that you can achieve with them :mrgreen:
Attached Thumbnails
Watercolor questions-dtgd_-_kim_1_by_blondie090277.jpg   Watercolor questions-bird_7_copy_by_blondie090277.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I use Stampin Up's water color paper, Black Stazon to stamp with and reinkers and aqua painter to color in the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

here's an explanation for why some colours seem to separate more than others:
primary colours like red, yellow etc are usually made from one dye colour and so likely will not separate. Browns, blacks and many compound colours tend to separate because they are made from several dyes. I am referring to the reinkers that are used to reink dye inkpads. Typical watercolours meant for watercolouring will likely not have this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Kim your water-coloring is fantastic!
I went to Hobby Lobby today to find "Hot Press" water color paper. They only had it in very large single sheets at $9.99 EACH Even with a coupon that is pricey .
I did touch it and it is very smooth.

I am going to Michael's next week I will check there.
Dick Blick has it in pads of 25 sheets for under $11, but with the shipping cost it is also quite expensive.
There is an art supply store about 35 miles from me I will call them and see if they have it in pads at a reasonable price.
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-19-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Kim your water-coloring is fantastic!
I went to Hobby Lobby today to find "Hot Press" water color paper. They only had it in very large single sheets at $9.99 EACH Even with a coupon that is pricey .
I did touch it and it is very smooth.

I am going to Michael's next week I will check there.
Dick Blick has it in pads of 25 sheets for under $11, but with the shipping cost it is also quite expensive.
There is an art supply store about 35 miles from me I will call them and see if they have it in pads at a reasonable price.
Barbara
Thank you Barbara I don't buy hot press WC paper because it's impossible to find wear I live so I use the cold press. It works great, it's affordable and it's easy to find
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I am probably going to get paper wads thrown at me for this one but I use ANY white/cream cardstock to water color. I primarily use Koh I Noor watercolor pencils. Sometimes I use a water pen or my Dove Blender pen. If I want a shimmery look I use my Smooch Spritz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the Ranger Distress Inks along with Tombows like Kim, after I saw her Wonderful cards. And finaly summed up the courage to email her and ask her what Tombows were and what paper she uses, and received some great helpful tips - Thank You Kim!!! For me it was all in the inks you use AND the papers used. I used to use the cheapest watercolor paper out there, but thanks to her suggestions my watercoloring has definitely improved a bit ( I still want to take her Tombow class, hopefully soon). I just purchased some Neenah Solar White and Cream cardstock, after someone said you could certainly watercolor with it. Well, not exactly. You can a bit, but then the paper pills, if you blend too much :(

But I digress, I tried traditional watercolors and Parisma Watercolor Pencils and find them both Extremely difficult to get the hang of, despit practicing for hours with both. For some odd reason, I think the Distress Inks and the Tombows are MUCH easier to use. The Tombows are even better, because I can "swipe" the tip of the brush with my Zig Aqua brush and make the colors less intense if I want to. I am currently deciding if I even want to get Rangers new Distress colors out, I love the Tombows so much. For me, there was a bit of a learning curve using the Tombows. I am not good blending strong or intense colors, like Kim can, but after practicing after about a couple stamped images, I picked it up a bit and get better from there. But that's what I like, it's really what you feel the most comfortable with

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
I am probably going to get paper wads thrown at me for this one but I use ANY white/cream cardstock to water color. I primarily use Koh I Noor watercolor pencils. Sometimes I use a water pen or my Dove Blender pen. If I want a shimmery look I use my Smooch Spritz.
You're fine...thanks for sharing what you do, too! If you are using a Dove blender or only blending with a small amount of water as opposed to doing watercolor washes or a lot of blending, regular cardstock will do you fine. The more water you add, the more chance of warping, with cardstock or even lighter weight watercolor paper.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought a pad of cold press water color paper and a set of 12 colors of water colors. They are cakes of color in a plastic box.

My first attempts at water coloring are re-e-e-eally bad :( :(

I realize practice improves things, but I think one needs to start with something that looks like it may be salvageable . LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #24  

It does take a lot of practice! hang in there.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes