Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm ready to take the plunge-what do I dive into first?

Okay! I'm done looking and longing for some Spellbinders/Nestabilities . But what do I buy first? What do you use the most...and okay...what IS the difference between spellbinders and nestabilities?? I only want to spend about 30 bucks to start. I owe a cuttlebug and have read I can use them with that. Any suggestions...any comments....any help????? Give me your feedback. I am sort of looking at the ovals..or circles??????.....help out a confused stamper!:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I got the circles first and then the squares, scalloped. Nesties are made by Spelbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

okay Spellbinders is the brand name of the company. They make the Nestabilities and Shapeabilities etc

It really depends on which ones you like--you can go to the Spellbinders website and see what you like. The ovals and scalloped ovals are used a lot for cutting images and sentiments and would be a good place to start. Some say they don't like the squares and rectangles because they can use their paper cutter--but I like the way you can layer them and the scalloped versions.

you do need the tan pad for embossing or a rubber gasket or similar to do the emboss look. I don't own a ton of them but what I own so far I am really happy with and should use them more. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spellbinders is the company name that makes Nestabilities- so there is no difference there. I use my circles and petite ovals the most but own 4pks of both shapes so I really can't say which pack to buy first because one of the great things about Nesties is the layering aspect- someone else might be able to suggest which pack to purchase first. At both Cutathome.com (using the 40% off coupon) and scrapbookingalley.com you can get a 4pk for about 55.00, that is if you can spend a little more then the 30.00.
Now if you decided to look at the labels, I use 1, 4,& 8 the most but probably the most used shape of label is 8. I am sure you will get more suggestions, that might help you out more. It is such a personal decision depending on the stamps you use the most to what shape nesties to start off with- I have read alot that Classic Oval are a real favorite but I prefer Petite ovals due to being less white space around my stamped image and sediments work out great in them.

Good luck with starting your collection, you will fall in love and want all of them (I don't own them all by a long shot but if I had unlimited money resource I would).

Yes they work great in a cuttlebug that is the machine I own and use but keep in mind to get great embossing you should purchase the embossing mat- I tried the cheap version of a plumbers gasket but never liked the result so I purchased a double pack of the 4X6 embossing mat made by spellbinders for appox 6.00 and the results are great.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KjppView Post
Okay! I'm done looking and longing for some Spellbinders/Nestabilities . But what do I buy first? What do you use the most...and okay...what IS the difference between spellbinders and nestabilities?? I only want to spend about 30 bucks to start. I owe a cuttlebug and have read I can use them with that. Any suggestions...any comments....any help????? Give me your feedback. I am sort of looking at the ovals..or circles??????.....help out a confused stamper!:confused:
It really differs depending on taste. I started out with the large classic scallop ovals and the large classic scallop circles because it was a shape I didn't have in punches, or be able to easily do with a paper cutter. I loved them so much that I then bough the large classic scallop squares, and the large classic scallop rectangles.

Afterwards I wished I had started with one complete shape set, which is made of four packages of dies. At several places you can get the whole set of, for example, classic plain/scallop ovals for a little more than $50. This gives you 25-30 dies for the shape - the large and small scallop and the large and small plain edge. By the way, "small scallop" does not mean the scallop on the shape is smaller, it just means the size range of the actual shape is a little smaller.

Because it was cheaper for me to purchase the complete shape set rather than the remaining three I didn't have, I went ahead and did that. Now I have doubles of my large scallop sets, but it is still the size I reach for the most so it hasn't bothered me at all. If you can handle the extra $20 I would purchase one complete set to start with. Pick something you don't already have in punches. Then slowly add in more complete sets.

Some people prefer the flowers, and while I love them, they aren't, in my opinion, as versatile as the labels or scallop/plain sets.

My recommendation would be go with a package of the labels, or a package of the scallop. Then add in more as you go along. And get the set if you can. If you can't you will still be pleased with one package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would suggest a basic shape to start out with. I agree with another poster that if you can spend the extra money you are better off to get a complete set. You can layer the different sets of (lets say circles) circles. This really gives you a lot of versatility. I personaly use the ovals the most. I am a spellbinders junkie. I would not want to say how much money I have invested in them. Nesties and my Cuttlebug are the most used tools I own. Have fun. Be careful of getting bit by the Nesties bug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I can spend the fifty. I think I might want to try the ovals..or circles. Now, one more question. Where to buy them? I don't have a hobby lobby around here - only Michael's and ACMoore. Any suggestions? There is a beautiful card store near me that I LOVE...but I'm sure they will not be on sale. Is 50 the going price, or is that with a coupon? Thanks for all your help! I'm really excited about this! I would be using it probably for sentiments also. I like clean and simple cards. I also am making 200 thank you cards for my friend's daughter for her wedding. I'm really thinking the ovals will be the best for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

The ovals are such a beautiful, classic and functional choice! Can't go wrong there.

If I remember correctly, when I bought my large sets they retailed around $79 or $80 but could be purchased on sale/with coupons etc. for around $50.

As to where, I know there are online stores that offer really great Nesties prices but have not ordered from any myself. I get mine at either Hobby Lobby or my local scrapbook store. Sorry I can't help you with that but I am sure someone on here can.

You will really be happy with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my...I will not be of any assistance. I am glad I started getting them when they first came out...I own probably every single set...I even found a set that was never released at a stamp expo last weekend. It is a cool set. I cant even describe the shape. It is like wonky squares. I cant wait to use it.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I still only have 2 sets of Nestabilities. I bought the small classic circles and the small scallop circles. I like to layer the circles so that the scallop is behind. My next set with be the classic ovals and scallop ovals.

It really is what you use the most, or would like to use. I've bought mine from Scrapbookingalley.com. They seem to always have them for about $16-17 a set and their shipping is fast. (Hint: I have never paid for express shipping, but my orders have always been sent 2 day air via Fedex).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I can spend the fifty. I think I might want to try the ovals..or circles. Now, one more question. Where to buy them? I don't have a hobby lobby around here - only Michael's and ACMoore. Any suggestions? There is a beautiful card store near me that I LOVE...but I'm sure they will not be on sale. Is 50 the going price, or is that with a coupon? Thanks for all your help! I'm really excited about this! I would be using it probably for sentiments also. I like clean and simple cards. I also am making 200 thank you cards for my friend's daughter for her wedding. I'm really thinking the ovals will be the best for that.
If you go to Cut@Home you can get the sets for 40% off MSRP. Just sign up for the email newsletter and they will send you the code, then you enter the code and you get 40% off once a month on a product.

For the cut@home circles click HERE

For the cut@home petite circles click HERE

For the cut@home petite ovals click HERE

For the cut@home classic ovals click HERE

For all cut@home Nesties click HERE

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Wow!! thank you sooo much for the link! I'm going to order asap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Wow!! thank you sooo much for the link! I'm going to order asap!
You're welcome. Just make sure to sign up for the newsletter first so you get your 40% code. I have ordered from her often and she always has great customer service, ships quickly, and will answer any questions you might have - or you can come ask here

I remember how excited I was to get my first Nesties! I was just sure I'd need only one or two sets.

What happened?!? I'm overflowing with Nesties! LOL! And I love them, use them often, and to me they are worth their weight in gold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Woohhooo! Okay, I ordered the ovals WITH a 40% off coupon.....I can NOT wait to get them! . Thank you!~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Oh My Gosh! And I just got an email that it's already shipped!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to Eriberry

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
If you go to Cut@Home you can get the sets for 40% off MSRP. Just sign up for the email newsletter and they will send you the code, then you enter the code and you get 40% off once a month on a product.

For the cut@home circles click HERE

For the cut@home petite circles click HERE

For the cut@home petite ovals click HERE

For the cut@home classic ovals click HERE

For all cut@home Nesties click HERE

Oh. My. Word.
THANK YOU!!!!!!
I've been looking for some place like that to get my hands on some nesties. I think I'm going to skip and sing for pure joy! Thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh My Gosh! And I just got an email that it's already shipped!!!!!!
YAY! I'm so excited for you. You will LOVE them! They have great customer service, and so happy yours are already on the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EriberryView Post
Oh. My. Word.
THANK YOU!!!!!!
I've been looking for some place like that to get my hands on some nesties. I think I'm going to skip and sing for pure joy! Thanks!!!!!!
You're welcome. Have fun picking out which ones you want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Default This is AMAZING!

Good lord! I ordered them FOUR days ago...I came home from work tonight..AND HERE THEY ARE! WOW! I think I was in labor with my first child longer than it took Cut@home to ship my order...LOL! I am sooo excited! I have Thursday off...I will be SOOOOO happy to play! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND [email protected] could not have been any better! on service and speed of receiving mine at with a coupon!!! I will shop them again for sure!!!! Thank you Eriberry!
PS...for anyone reading this post..I do not work for Cut@home, nor have I ever used them before...but I have to pass along a GREAT company when I use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Good lord! I ordered them FOUR days ago...I came home from work tonight..AND HERE THEY ARE! WOW! I think I was in labor with my first child longer than it took Cut@home to ship my order...LOL! I am sooo excited! I have Thursday off...I will be SOOOOO happy to play! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND [email protected] could not have been any better! on service and speed of receiving mine at with a coupon!!! I will shop them again for sure!!!! Thank you Eriberry!
PS...for anyone reading this post..I do not work for Cut@home, nor have I ever used them before...but I have to pass along a GREAT company when I use it.
I'm so glad you got them so fast! I've always been very pleased with the service from Cut@Home. Enjoy your new toys, and let us know how you like them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Did you ladies see the thread where there are two sets Abstract Squares and triangles that you can get for $12.50 each by calling customer serivce at Spellbinders? These are probably dies you have never seen before but both sets are great...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes