Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #1  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are Copics better?

Ok, I have seen what people do with their Copic markers, but why can't you do that with other markers and blenders? Do Copics have some special qualities?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

In my opinion, the ink that copic uses is really high quality. They go on smooth and are very easy to blend. I have only been using copic markers for about a year now and they are truly great to color with.

There are other alchohol based markers like Bic or Sharpie or even Prismacolor but somehow they do not blend as easy as the copic markers do.

Copics are pricey but for the quality you get for your money, they are a good investment...especially when you consider you can buy re-fill inks, as well as new brush tips and nibs. If you really take care of your markers, Copic should last you a very long time.

Hope that helps.

LT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Copics

They go onto the paper like butter and the color is beautiful- blending is awesome too. I was resistant at first, but am So SOLD on the Copic markers!

Look at tutorials and buy colors you think you will use alot- you do not NEED 100's of the markers, buy smart!

Good Luck!
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

They blend easier with each other and don't streak badly if you are coloring a larger image with the same color. I also love the numbering of the coloring of the markers since I am not an expert for picking colors that match perfectly.

If I want to get colors that match perfectly for shading, I should pick colors that are a few digits off.

For example, if I want to get a couple shades of brown that I would use together, I should pick E (for Earth colors) then first digit 3 (Family color) then each number will go from lightest to darkest 0 (lightest)---9 (darkest); So I would pick something like: E31, E33, E35, E37

When coloring, I would start out with a light color E31 or E33, then go over edges with E33, then go over tiny edges with E35.... Then I can clean it up by go back with a lighter color just a bit to round the colors out.

After using them and playing with them for a while, I have never looked back to other markers.

See some copic samples:
http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot....opic%20Markers

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

The others have already made fantastic points! Copics are a bit pricey, however, you really are buying a lifetime pen when you make your purchase. Ink refills are available, and they even have replaceable nibs. The blending capability is amazing, and the blender pen isn't just a blender. It really helps push the ink around so that you have a TON of control over what your ink is doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

They don't overpower the stamped image lines like watercolor markers do. You can use them to color brads the color you would like to use, color ribbons and even rhinestones. So you can just buy white brads or ribbon or clear rhinestones and color them to be the color you are working with by using your copic. I can color even on domino backs and the color is there to stay! To me they do everything that my SU markers don't do well. Their brush tips stay nice and easy enough to color even the smallest of areas. The only thing I use my SU markers for are to color directly onto the rubber stamps for the huff and puff method. I wouldn't trade my copics for anything!! They are worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the soft, delicate colors that you can get in the Copics. Every other marker I have ever tried has been too dark. The cap would show a very pale color, then when I colored with it the actual color would be at least 5 to 10 shades darker than what I expected. Even the Sharpies are much darker than their caps, even though they are also alcohol markers. It is easy to get a nice skin tone, or a natural hair color, and soft shadows with the Copics.

I still really like my Prismacolor pencils, but if I try to color over and over an area to blend, it gets too waxy, and then the color gets splotchy. Especially on very smooth paper. I also find hair much harder to get looking right with the pencils.

Waterbased markers of any type will cause your paper to peel and pill if you go over the same spot too much. Then you have a big ugly mess. You could color in one spot all day with the Copics, and they will not ever tear up the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Copics for all the reasons already stated. You should check out youtube and watch the videos of all the amazing Copic tips. I especially like Suzanne Dean on you tube videos. She also has a blog that is very informative. Scrapbitz.blogspot.com amazing tutorials and of course lots of ideas. Enjoy.... ~~ Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I bought two sets of copics, and though I use them at times, I really prefer blender and inks because you get the colors that match your paper. I also prefer prismacolor markers to copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

One thing I like about the Copics is that the color is digitally controlled. This means that each marker will always be the exact same color and not vary from lot to lot or batch to batch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copic markers are artist quality so that makes them a notch above most others- but for the price unless you are a true artist or you have loads of money to spend -- they are ridiculous in price. There are so many great coloring mediums in addition to other alcohol markers that I have a hard time understanding why any normal cardmaker will invest in these...

Sorry not trying to offend- just my opinion...

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are not "better", Vee--at least IMHO. They are simply different, and yield different results, work on different surfaces.

From a June 2008 thread on the topic:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I don't prefer Copics over other coloring mediums, and I could produce projects every bit as lovely without them. But, I do like having them as an available option, depending on what I'm working on and the results/effect I'm shooting for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #13  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Thanks all. I have seen some great tutorials, but didn't even know that the copics are alcohol markers. Now it makes sense. I will buy a few at my artist supply and give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeView Post
Thanks all. I have seen some great tutorials, but didn't even know that the copics are alcohol markers. Now it makes sense. I will buy a few at my artist supply and give them a try.
To get the best idea of what colors to buy, I suggest you go to www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com. Mary Ann has great tutorials on Copics.

If you buy several colors that are not close in number (i.e. one red, one blue, one green, etc...), then you will not get to see the true benefit of Copics (blending). However, if you buy colors that are close and match on the Copic color wheel, then you can see first hand the benefit. You'll also need to practice true coloring, meaning applying enough ink to your paper. One swipe does not do this. The way to see if you're coloring correctly is to flip your paper over - if the other side is colored evenly (as Copics bleed through), then you've colored correctly. If you color this way, then it's much easier to not only blend, but to blend well.

Also, if you're at the art store and they have the different types of Copics - Ciao, Sketch, and Original - then try out the barrel to find out which you prefer. The barrel shape differs with the type. Ciaos are smaller (and cheaper), round, and designed for children. They also hold considerably less ink, so if you'll be coloring a lot, you'll need to refill them regularly. Sketch are rectangle (so they don't roll on your desk), larger, and more expensive. Originals are square and larger than the rest. Copics also come in Wides, which are designed for coloring large areas. The tips do differ on some of the barrel shapes, but that's really a non-issue as you can change the tips to a tip you prefer.

All Copics are refillable and recyclable. The ink is non-toxic. Also, the tips can easily be replaced. And, if you have a tip dry out, there's an easy fix - (assuming your marker has ink, otherwise reink it) take both caps off and leave it on its side for a day. The marker is specially designed to restablize itself so the ink will get pulled to the tips again.

The non-toxic issue is a good one if you're working around kids, pregnant, or for any other reason worried about toxicity. Although I like my Prismacolor pencils, gamasol (aka mineral spirits) is not non-toxic and not recommended to be used around kids or if you're pregnant. I like that I don't have to worry about Copics on this issue. I also find that Copic ink is easier for me to move than Prismacolor pigment. It's also much easier for me to cover/fix a mistake with Copics. The 0 (blending solution) pen is the greatest mistake fixer! And, since Copics dissolve other Copics, you can easily move color you've accidentally placed in one area of your image away with another color. It's fun to play around with them and see what happens.

Last edited by kikikaren; 03-08-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Copic markers are artist quality so that makes them a notch above most others- but for the price unless you are a true artist or you have loads of money to spend -- they are ridiculous in price. There are so many great coloring mediums in addition to other alcohol markers that I have a hard time understanding why any normal cardmaker will invest in these...

Sheena
I think it just depends on how much you'll actually use them or anything really. You can easily spend $1000 on stamps, punches, paper, ribbon...but if you don't use it, it's not worth it. Just like the markers...if you use them everyday and will use them years to come, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think they are better, I think they are just different than other coloring mediums. I happen to love them AND I love my Stampin' UP Markers and my Stampin' UP Watercolor crayons. They all give a little different effect, PLUS with the SU markers, you can color directly on your stamps and you can't do that with Copics. I think BOTH are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Like others have pointed out, Copics are simply another medium that can give lovely results. Aside from all the reasons others have given for loving them, I've found that being able to use them to color bottons, ribbons, brads, silk or paper flowers, acrylic embellishments, etc. to match my project simply adds to their usefulness. In fact, I'm buying most accents in white or neutral colors these days and simply color them as needed with my Copis. Saves me money since I don't have to have to buy a pack of embellishments to match something, and then never use that color again.

Copics are an investment, no doubt. But you don't have to buy an entire set at once. And as most have discovered, good tools are a joy to use and really do make a difference in the final project. The real question is whether all the reasons pointed out here are worth it to YOU! Just because some of us love Copics doesn't mean they're the right solution for everyone. So if they don't seem practical for your projects, don't feel you have to jump on the Copics bandwagon. (But if you do, you'll probably be glad you did! LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

wow. this is great info, but for me having no Copics at this stage, it confuses the issue. I thought I should buy colors that best matched SU cardstock, since that is what I use. Now I see that I should buy maybe three shades of each color for blending. Yikes. That is a lot. any suggestions? Is there a good place to buy a number of them at a reduced price because you buy several?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkplug17View Post
I think it just depends on how much you'll actually use them or anything really. You can easily spend $1000 on stamps, punches, paper, ribbon...but if you don't use it, it's not worth it. Just like the markers...if you use them everyday and will use them years to come, it's worth it.

Very good point- I will admit I didn't think of it that way. I spend easy $1000 in stamps, paper and ink and special supplies and never gave any thought because I felt it was ok to spend that kind on money on items I seem to never use or use up. So spending that kind of money on Markers that I might use very alot coloring in my stamps- it might be worth the investment. I still don't see me buying these any time soon but coming across judgemental was wrong also- especially if some of you saw the appox 6+ feet of DP and CS I own and hardly use because I am constently buying more. Since I have a 25 month old Son that gets into everything- buying expensive markers that he might be able to get his hands on and draw on walls - himself or worse ruin or break a $6 marker isn't a smart move right now. Down the road when he is a tad order I might re-consider. I wish someone close to me own these so I could them out before making such an expensive purchase. No Craft Stores in my area sell thes, only Tombow markers and I haven't a whole lot good about them in the Message board.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
wow. this is great info, but for me having no Copics at this stage, it confuses the issue. I thought I should buy colors that best matched SU cardstock, since that is what I use. Now I see that I should buy maybe three shades of each color for blending. Yikes. That is a lot. any suggestions? Is there a good place to buy a number of them at a reduced price because you buy several?
You can always buy just a single marker to color a picture the same color as your paper, but then you're not getting the full potential out of the markers.

The reason people like them is because you can blend light to dark which is trickier with water-based markers, like SU!

So, if you want to blend, pick the marker that matches your SU! paper color, then pick another marker in the same color grouping, either lighter, or darker. That way you can experience blending.

Julie is correct. Copics are just another coloring option, they are not the ultimate coloring tool to replace all others. They will give you professional results, hence the price, and they make coloring a relaxing, rewarding effort as they are easier to get good results with than some other mediums (IMHO) The colors are vibrant and smooth. So, if you find yourself coloring in stamped images all the time you may want to try the markers or take a class if possible. then you'll see why people are raving about them. But just because you get Copic markers you don't need to throw away your other tools
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Where is a good place to buy Copic markers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Another benefit of copics that I didn't see mentioned here is that the paper will never ball up no matter how much you color in one spot. When I have colored with my SU markers this has happened on several occasions. While I like having both of these types of markers for different reasons, I love my copics much more. I really didn't think I would ever get into them but now that I have them I am so happy that I decided to invest in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by micalela1View Post
Where is a good place to buy Copic markers?
I purchase my markers from Oozak.com. They are cheaper there than in the local stores and their customer service is terrific!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I noticed a couple replies stating, "can't use directly on stamp". Check out the tutorial Misting with Alcohol Markers: Misting With Alcohol Markers Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers
Plus "where to buy for less" Carpe Diem Store has Ciao for $2.69 on sale: http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistC...midCategory=61
HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Don't you also need to use special ink and/or cardstock with Copics? I've never tried them either but I love the vibrant results.

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the information. I finally know if I want some and I do! Especially for like faces. I have a hard time with lines showing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
They are not "better", Vee--at least IMHO. They are simply different, and yield different results, work on different surfaces.

From a June 2008 thread on the topic:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I don't prefer Copics over other coloring mediums, and I could produce projects every bit as lovely without them. But, I do like having them as an available option, depending on what I'm working on and the results/effect I'm shooting for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
Don't you also need to use special ink and/or cardstock with Copics? I've never tried them either but I love the vibrant results.
Everybody has a preference when it comes to card stock for Copics--I just use Neenah Classic Crest in Solar White, 80 or 110# weights. But, there is bleed-through when using alcohol-based markers on this card stock so if you're making a single layer card, just so you are aware.

Copic makes a bleed-proof paper, but what that means is that while the ink doesn't actually come through the back side of the paper to stain something beneath it, it still SHOWS. The paper is also very lightweight and wouldn't be suitable for a card base. So, that's also something to consider.

There are other card stocks out there that others like for Copic work, but as I am pleased with what I get using Neenah, I haven't bothered to try them.

As far as ink, some folks like Palette Hybrid Noir, others prefer Memento Tuxedo Black (or any color you like), A Muse Black Dye ink works well with it, and any pigment ink will also work (pigment ink will need to be heat set, however, so don't skip that step ;) I often use Brilliance Graphite Black when doing Copic work because I like the deep contrast and intensity of this particular black ink)

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy colors on the same RING of the Copics Color Wheel (found on their website) for better blending...wish I'd know this from the beginning before I bought my Sketches. I like the Gina K Pure Luxury card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default I just ordered some

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and links to tutorials for these markers. I just ordered some with a Christmas gift card. I can't wait to try them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisadwbView Post
One thing I like about the Copics is that the color is digitally controlled. This means that each marker will always be the exact same color and not vary from lot to lot or batch to batch.
I didn't know this ----a good point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face ,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post

Sheena
Actually, if you buy Copic Ciao markers in a large set, they cost only a wee bit more than Stampin' Up! Markers cost before the price dropped (here in Canada). In fact, I got 72 for $212 I believe. That might even be cheaper than SU! per marker. I agree, Sketch markers are too expensive. I only buy them to fill in colours unavailable in ciao
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

First off, I'm pretty sure Ciao were designed with home crafters in mind, the child safe caps are for children's safety, not for the kids themselves. And having less ink, they are more affordable where a professional artist would go through more ink. You'd have to be crazy to buy such expensive markers for kids!! Secondly, The paper you choose will afffect your results, some allow too much bleeding and others with coatings do not allow blending to occur. But the paper required isn't more expensive so it isn't hard to just start buying a new brand.

I have a very active, disobedient almost 3 year old. I just keep my markers up and away from him and so far so good so please don't let your kid prevent you from getting them. In fact, the tips are polyester so they are hard to ruin and replacements are available. Rubbing alcohol or blender solution will remove the colour from non porous surfaces. Just be careful near carpet or fabric.

I can't say enough good things about ilikemarkers.com. I read her blog for months and read back to the start of it. When I took the certification course, I already had learned all the theory from the blog. Of course, the hands on experience was invaluable and he course was well worth it but it just shows you what an awesome resource it is!!

I buy mine from copicmarkerS.com. Great prices and I got an extra Multiliner or glitter pen with my orders of 72 Ciao.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 03-10-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy some at Hobby Lobby with thier 40% off coupons(1 at a time) or recently they had all artists markers for 30% off so I filled in several colors I wanted - especially since our store FINALLY got a shipment that filled in their display. I don't have tons of Copics but am happy with what I have. I like the softer, lighter colors I cannot seem to get with even SU markers. That is why I started with Copics. Still love my SU though!
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=Rebecca Ednie;16299227]First off, I'm pretty sure Ciao were designed with home crafters in mind, the child safe caps are for children's safety, not for the kids themselves. And having less ink, they are more affordable where a professional artist would go through more ink. You'd have to be crazy to buy such expensive markers for kids!! Secondly, The paper you choose will afffect your results, some allow too much bleeding and others with coatings do not allow blending to occur. But the paper required isn't more expensive so it isn't hard to just start buying a new brand.

I have a very active, disobedient almost 3 year old. I just keep my markers up and away from him and so far so good so please don't let your kid prevent you from getting them. In fact, the tips are polyester so they are hard to ruin and replacements are available. Rubbing alcohol or blender solution will remove the colour from non porous surfaces. Just be careful near carpet or fabric.

QUOTE]

I try to keep all my craft supplies (except paper) out of hands reach from my toddler but every once in awhile- he gets a hold of something (usually when I'm not home and DH is). I am glad to hear that are sturdy markers and waiting till he gets older may not be the right solution either. I tend not to call my DS disobedient - I usually call him "Very Spirited" (I mean the exact same thing,lol), he is also Hyper with severe selective hearing to the point we have had him tested twice for hearing loss (at 81/2M and 20M) but he passed both times. His selective hearing is worse then any other child I know including teenagers. He still never (I mean Never) responds to his name but now responds to the word "Time Out" so we are making progress.

I will re-consider Copics next X-Mas when I usually get a decent amount of money to spend on myself- in the mean time I will watch videos. I do love the look of Copics- I pulled out waterbased markers the other day and tried coloring in images and found the color overwhelming for now I will stick to Prisma colored pencils and watercoloring since I love the look (it isn't overwhelming).

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

[quote=Sheena74;16302473]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
First off, I'm pretty sure Ciao were designed with home crafters in mind, the child safe caps are for children's safety, not for the kids themselves. And having less ink, they are more affordable where a professional artist would go through more ink. You'd have to be crazy to buy such expensive markers for kids!! Secondly, The paper you choose will afffect your results, some allow too much bleeding and others with coatings do not allow blending to occur. But the paper required isn't more expensive so it isn't hard to just start buying a new brand.

QUOTE]

I try to keep all my craft supplies (except paper) out of hands reach from my toddler but every once in awhile- he gets a hold of something (usually when I'm not home and DH is). I am glad to hear that are sturdy markers and waiting till he gets older may not be the right solution either. I tend not to call my DS disobedient - I usually call him "Very Spirited" (I mean the exact same thing,lol), he is also Hyper with severe selective hearing to the point we have had him tested twice for hearing loss (at 81/2M and 20M) but he passed both times. His selective hearing is worse then any other child I know including teenagers. He still never (I mean Never) responds to his name but now responds to the word "Time Out" so we are making progress.

I will re-consider Copics next X-Mas when I usually get a decent amount of money to spend on myself- in the mean time I will watch videos. I do love the look of Copics- I pulled out waterbased markers the other day and tried coloring in images and found the color overwhelming for now I will stick to Prisma colored pencils and watercoloring since I love the look (it isn't overwhelming).

Sheena
Your highly spirited child must take a lot of your energy--good thing there are crafts to indulge in to calm the spirit.----I find the Copics hard to open and close sometimes---but then children have more patience than I do. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

The markers aren't as expensive in Japan where they're made...so it wouldn't be an expensive set of markers for the kids there. I'm not saying you have to buy these for your kids...but I do think they had kids in mind when the Ciaos were made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Is there a simple way to know which of the Copic markers are best for which project.
There are the Sketch's , the Ciaos, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstowersView Post
Is there a simple way to know which of the Copic markers are best for which project.
There are the Sketch's , the Ciaos, etc?

I think it's more a matter of which barrel and tip style you prefer working with, more than the project type.

I prefer a brush nib, so I love the Sketch and the Ciao for that; the barrel on the Sketch is oval shaped so it will not roll off your desk. The Ciao is round, and holds less ink so you will refill it more frequently (all are refillable). According to a Copic Rep I had spoken with a while back, the Ciao were designed as an entry-level or beginner's alcohol marker. Both feel comfortable in my hand, which is on the small side, altho I do have long fingers. LOL!

The Original features a bullet nib (chisel at the other end, like the others). I do not like the way this nib "feels" against the paper surface. This is a personal preference, however.

I do own quite a few Originals, but I plan to swap out the bullet nibs for brush nibs (nibs on all Copics are replaceable). The Original's barrel is square.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I choice Sketches because they feel nice in my hand and because they don't roll. They may have more color choices, too, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I think it's more a matter of which barrel and tip style you prefer working with, more than the project type.

I prefer a brush nib, so I love the Sketch and the Ciao for that; the barrel on the Sketch is oval shaped so it will not roll off your desk. The Ciao is round, and holds less ink so you will refill it more frequently (all are refillable). According to a Copic Rep I had spoken with a while back, the Ciao were designed as an entry-level or beginner's alcohol marker. Both feel comfortable in my hand, which is on the small side, altho I do have long fingers. LOL!

The Original features a bullet nib (chisel at the other end, like the others). I do not like the way this nib "feels" against the paper surface. This is a personal preference, however.

I do own quite a few Originals, but I plan to swap out the bullet nibs for brush nibs (nibs on all Copics are replaceable). The Original's barrel is square.

HTH!
Thanks! I prefer the Brush nibs also and I didn't know that the nibs were replaceable!!
Reply With Quote Likes