View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Angelnorth
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Not sure I'll be much use to you as I'm in the UK but mine is a SimAir AC100. I got it for about 25% of its retail price by being patient and hanging out on eBay! I paid 40 including the shipping (converting would make it about $60 I guess but most things tend to work for $ here so something that costs $10 in the US would cost 10 here). If you're willing to go down that route, it's worth checking out cosmetics/beauty as well as crafts since a lot of people buy them to do spray tanning and acrylic nail work.

For the Copic system, you ideally want something you can set to 40-60psi although I think the ones people have been getting from Harbor Freight may be slightly lower pressure than that and they're getting decent results. My SimAir and the Sparmax that I think Copic actually recommend are both "on demand" compressors. That basically means that the motor is not running all the time, it will fire up when you first start to use the compressor and then it will switch out and only cut back in when the pressure starts to drop below where you need it.

There are several threads on the forum already with information about air compressors - a quick search will probably turn you up more opinion and experience from people on your side of the Pond in terms of what they bought, how much they paid and what the performance is like.

HTH!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!