Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut question for those that have/had o-bug and expression

I have the original Cricut machine. Loved it until this week when I have been trying to cut the Disney princesses. It is chewing up some of the smaller layers even when I cut them in the larger size. I am actually considering upgrading to the expression. does the expression actually cut better? I would hate to upgrade and not be extremely happy with the cuts. Any thoughts from those that have both or have upgraded to the larger machine. I am hearing rumors about a newer machine. Anyone know anything, should I wait. With the design studio or the gypsy I should be able to just rotate the princess images to cut them larger, right?

thanks so much,
Sandy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Sandy, when did you change your cutting blade last? That may be the problem. When replacing it check to see that your blade housing is "green". If so, when you purchase the new pack of (2) blades be sure they have the "red" tip. The deep cutting blade only fits the "deep cutting" housing. Good luck. I use both machines but still kind of a novice and learning as I go.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=138562

Last edited by razldazl; 01-17-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Personally, I find that my Expression is more powerful than my original Cricut. I don't know if that's the case for all of them. Images like the princesses and other Disney characters usually cut much better at larger sizes, but the paper/cardstock that you use can make a big difference. For instance, I have a certain type of red cardstock that came with one of my scrapbooks that cuts horribly in my E. Last night, I cut the same image out of 4 different sheets of cardstock, and the red was the only one that got mangled. Lightweight papers don't work well for me in either machine. I have never regretted upgrading to the E. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sandy.....It is not that the Expression cuts better, it cuts larger sizes. As previous poster said, check to make sure you have a sharp blade.

If you're trying to cut very detailed/intricate pieces, the larger size works best. If you are cutting the main image in 5.5, the Layers pieces may be too small with that size to cut properly. In that case you would be best with the Expression and cutting at a larger size for the main image so the Layers would be larger.

I tried doing Mickey Mouse in 3 inches and the Layers pieces were really tiny. I had to use tweezers to assemble him. Even at 5.5 inches the Layers were really small, but he did look cute when done and certainly worth the effort. Then I went to an 11.5 inch size. That was really cool.

I love both my Expression and Cricut, but do feel the adverrtisement that the images can be cut on either machine is a bit deceiving. Now some of the booklets (the newer ones) do state that not all detailed images can be cut in smaller sizes.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am one of the power Cricut users.

The license cartridge cut better on the Expressions. It even states on the cartridges that they work better on the Expressions. The reasoning behind this is because the Expressions cuts at smaller increments.

I don't know if the Cricut Create would be any better. I am thinking of getting a Cricut Create.

If you have Gypsy or Design Studio there should be no limitations now with any of these character cartridges.

Did you take your blade housing out and blow on it? A lot of times that helps with the chewing problem.

Make sure your blade is not too far down. You just want to feel the tip. Change your blade settings too.

The new Cricut machine you are hearing about is probably going to cut fondant for cakes. That is not an official word just speculation.

We are all pretty sure over at the Cricut board it's going to be wireless and have a digital screen.

ProvoCraft loves releasing litle hints right before CHA.

I am actually downgrading Cricuts. I have had my Expressions for several years now and never once cut out anything bigger than 6x6. It's a space hog for my needs. I have the Baby Bug too and I use her more. I also have Gypsy and Design Studio.

I have several licensed cartridges. Yes, the small details are a booger on either machines.

I highly recommend the Expressions but it's not for me any more. I usually tell people to go for the Expressions if they have the space. I am scaling down a lot of my crafting items.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I am going to change the blade and see if that helps. I also have a design studio that I could never get to load but I tried again on the weekend on our new computer and it loaded no problem at all. Just have to figure out how to work it now. Still thinking about upgrading. I have the space for the expression but they are very expensive in Canada.
thanks again,
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem with detail cuttings and when I called CS, they told me to put the speed to its lowest setting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default re Canadian e expensive in Canada

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyStampin1View Post
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I am going to change the blade and see if that helps. I also have a design studio that I could never get to load but I tried again on the weekend on our new computer and it loaded no problem at all. Just have to figure out how to work it now. Still thinking about upgrading. I have the space for the expression but they are very expensive in Canada.
thanks again,
Sandy
Sandy: Have you tried buying online-I got mine from Hallmarkscrapbook-with $30. for ship and I think I paid about that in custom duty fees- it came to $214. CDN and change (for the E plus 4 cartridges, marker set and 2 sets of mats a while back)-*it may have been Thanksgiving w/e a few years back when our money was not worth as much as today...I have the baby bug that I tend to cut alpha/font carts while using my Gypsy linked tio all my carts to the E.I also order a lot of stuff from scrappersmusthave-my Gypsy was 179. plus 23.00 to ship and they did not charge anything extra at custom (dues)!Mind you-I have to pick my items at the poste office as I get mail delivered to superboxes where the mailperson does not bother to leave any parcels in the mailbox

Last edited by denbob; 02-20-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the info on buying from Canada. I just made a trade recently on here and am waiting for a Cricut create to come in the mail. I think it will suit my needs.
thanks,
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes