Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prisma pencils or Copics for a newbie?

For someone who is new to coloring, which do think would be easiest for someone to learn...prismas+gamsol or Copics? I don't know much about shading and highlighting or blending. I love the results I see with Copics but I'm afraid to pay that kind of money for something that's not easy to learn how to do. Pencils seem like they'd be easier, but again with the shading etc.., pencils+gamsol may not be much different than learning how to use a copic. Any advice would be great!! Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO Prisma and gamsol. I am far from an expert color-er and I feel I have soooooo much more control with the pencils. I have some copics, took a class, and still I fight with them. I love the work that people do with them, but I struggle. Look to ebay for a great price on a big set of prismas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I love the copic markers. They are easy to use and look beautiful. I am still not a pro, but I much prefer them to my pencils which have been in a draw since I got my copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both. I also tend to pick up techniques quickly. I can understand how people CAN fight with copics -

Personally - if you like softer coloring then Prismacolor pencils are beautiful and will always be a useful tool.

If you aren't certain about copics then truthfully how do you like coloring with Crayola's/Bic's/or Sharpie's - if you like coloring with them but need more versatility then take the Copics plunge. My favorite thing about Copics is the "nib" it absolutely spoils me for laying down color - I went to do some watercoloring last week (one of my favorite mediums to work with) and started fighting with it because I was so used to the nibs on the Copics.

I got a pack of 36 Bics for under $20 and love them too! They are an alcohol marker (different ink color manufacturing) too and a lot of the copic techniques can be carried over without the "huge" investment. And a great way to learn shading, highlighting and blending.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both and love both. I agree with the first poster, prismas and gamsol (or baby oil) are easier to learn plus you wouldn't need different shades of one color to get great results.

Here's the you tube video that taught me how to color with prismacolor pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

When I started out I purchased the Prisma pencils and used the Gamsol/Oderless mineral spirits. I found that the pencils are a little more forgiving when you make a mistake and I could use them on an inexpensive cardstock so if I made mistakes I wasn't wasting money or good cardstock. I still reach for my Prisma's every now and then depending on what I am coloring and the size of the image, I even use both the Copic's and the Pencils on the same image (you do need to color with the Copic's first and fill in with the Prisma's as the pencils can damage the copic's) My advice to someone starting out and unsure of there coloring/shading ability is to start with the 132 set of Prisma's and work your way up from there once you are comfortable with your abilities. I purchased my132 Pencils from eBay for $80 including shipping and Canadian exchange. Good luck and relax and have fun with whatever you decided to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by newlystampingView Post
For someone who is new to coloring, which do think would be easiest for someone to learn...prismas+gamsol or Copics? I don't know much about shading and highlighting or blending. I love the results I see with Copics but I'm afraid to pay that kind of money for something that's not easy to learn how to do. Pencils seem like they'd be easier, but again with the shading etc.., pencils+gamsol may not be much different than learning how to use a copic. Any advice would be great!! Thanks
I'd go with pencils over alcohol markers simply because there's less of a learning curve with pencils. Also, you don't necessarily "need" gamsol to achieve lovely coloring effects.

With Copics, you need to be mindful of which type inks work best, which paper types work best, bleed-through, what to do with color that seeps beyond the image lines.

If it helps any, I've been teaching art-stamping for 14 years, and work with both colored pencils and Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I think it really comes down to what you think you will prefer. I'd go on youtube and watch some videos of techniques using both primsa pencils and copics and see which appeals to you most. That's exactly what I did and am so glad with my choice.
I started with bics and moved onto copics and love them. I recently rec'd a 12ct prisma pencil set and I honestly cant get the hang of the gamsol magic. Maybe I dont have enough colors? but I think shading with copic is easiest for me. Either way I still use the pencils with my copics and it works out nicely. As far as the paper I use with copics. It's really inexpensive it's called Georgia Pacific 110lb. and I get it at walmart, so if I goof it's no big loss. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I definitely think that the pencils are easier, although I know I couldn't get great results with a set of 12. I was really excited to try the gamsol technique. I couldn't afford a ton of expensive prismas without knowing how I would like the technique, so I bought a 36 pack of crayolas. They work great! If you are having a hard time deciding, I would suggest picking up one of these sets (with a coupon!) and trying it out. If you like it, you can always go for the prismas. I have decided to stick with the crayolas because I am satisfied. I also purchased a 36 set of copics, but I don't find using them to come easily to me. I am working hard to learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

If you want to get copics to try only buy 3 ciao's, that way it's no big loss if you dont like them. Stay withing 2-3 numbers apart of eachother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like Copics better. The pencils (when I started) seemed harder.

For me the Copics gave instant satisfaction as they were easier for me.

Now I am going back and learning.... it's all personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I have both and love both. I agree with the first poster, prismas and gamsol (or baby oil) are easier to learn plus you wouldn't need different shades of one color to get great results.

I love my pencils and agree that they're easier to start with. That's a great video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for the advice. Since they are cheaper and more forgiving, I'll start with the pencils. If I enjoy coloring and get the hang of shading, then maybe I'll dive into the Copic world. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I don't have an answer, but I have a question--just when I think I have seen everything, something new comes along. What exactly is Gamsol. One of you mentioned baby oil, and all I can visualize is oil on my pictures. Can someone enlighten this old lady on this. I love the video as I do a lot of coloring for bulletin boards (I am a librarian) and really learned some neat things. Oh, and one other question, where can you buy Gamsol (I hope I spelled that right). Thanks in advance. Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Gamsol is a brand of odorless mineral spirits, but I think any artist-grade OMS will work. Most crafts stores sell some brand of it. You use a paper stump dipped in OMS to blend the prismas. Since they are wax-based, the OMS kinda melts the color and lets you blend. There are some great tutorials on youtube, which is how I learned about it. Just search prisma pencils and gamsol, then some videos should pop up. It's really cool!! It gives a similar effect as Copics, but not quite as vivid, from what I have seen. I was just wondering how hard it is for someone who hasn't really colored before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Forget the gamsol, use baby oil instead. Here is a tutorial on my blog with instructions on how to color with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil:

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

I have taught about 5 classes at my LSS using this method with great success!

Happy coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I would go for Copics because i don't like the look *I* get from pencils and found Copics EXTREMELY easy to get the hang of.. i don't understand when some people say there is a steep learning curve with Copics. I say, "Isn't there a learning curve with EVERYTHING?"

What do you like the LOOK of better?? Go for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #18  

So if I understand you, this is an EITHER/OR question? :mrgreen:

I started with Prismacolor pencils. They work great, and you can get some effects with them (soft shading, etc) that I cannot get with the Copics. That being said, I haven't had my copics that long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I haven't bought the copics yet (not in the budget, hopefully soon!) but I just wanted to say that I taught my 14 year old son to use the prismas and gamsol and he mastered it very quickly and easily (never thought he would even be interested in trying but he always complained that he did not like to "color" his art work - he loves to now!).

I love using my prismas and it is really pretty easy to pick up the technique and create beautiful work with.

I still intend to purchase copics as well, and learn to use them too!

Good luck with your decision
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I prefer my Copics. My prismacolor pencils and gamsol sit in the closet all alone.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go with prismas/colored pencils first 1) ease of use 2) cost. If you buy a few prismas or a low cost set of crayola wax pencils you do not have a large expenditure of cash.

Buying a couple of copics isn't going to work as you are going to need a variety of colors and shades of those colors to get the results you will see posted on pictures. I tried the buy a couple and see if I like them and quickly found that my 4 copics were not enough.

I really like my copics and now have about 50 and don't think I will need anymore. also, it's not just the initial cost of the copics, eventually, if you use them often, you have to buy the refill.

I love my prismas, but for a beginner, you can get excellent results with a pack of 24 crayolas that will cost you under $10. Don't get suckered into buying the expensive sets of prismas until you know if you like it. I bought all mine over time by starting with a few basic colors. With prismas you will have to buy new pencils but at under $2 a piece the maintenance cost is less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Great thread. Pencils for me. I like Copics but I don't have a good eye for color and Prismas are more forgiving when it comes to correcting color imo.

What I like about Copics is their intensity. I'm making up for that now by using Derwent Inktense Pencils first then using Prismas over them. It gives the pencils the kick they need. They are water soluble ink based pencils. Don't need a lot of water either which is what I like especially working on card stock.

Good luck and Happy Coloring!!

Tim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

If you don't want to kick out the cost for Prismas, but want something a bit better quality than Crayola, try Koh-i-noor. I bought a 24 count at Michael's with a 40% coupon for about $12 and they are great! They're in the art supplies section with charcoals, canvasses, etc (and prisma's are back there, too).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
Great thread. Pencils for me. I like Copics but I don't have a good eye for color and Prismas are more forgiving when it comes to correcting color imo.

What I like about Copics is their intensity. I'm making up for that now by using Derwent Inktense Pencils first then using Prismas over them. It gives the pencils the kick they need. They are water soluble ink based pencils. Don't need a lot of water either which is what I like especially working on card stock.

Good luck and Happy Coloring!!

Tim
I am intrigued, Mr. Hambo! ;)

I love my Derwent Watercolor Pencils, and I also enjoy my Koh-I-Noors.

Hmmmm, which set to get. I'm fluctuating between the 36 and whether or not I'd get a lot of use out of the full 72.

What do you have/recommend for someone who only has a 24 set of Koh-I-Noors at this time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

Hmmmm, which set to get. I'm fluctuating between the 36 and whether or not I'd get a lot of use out of the full 72.

What do you have/recommend for someone who only has a 24 set of Koh-I-Noors at this time?
I've got the 72 color set, and I can't think of a color in there that I would want to be without. I've used them under Prismas as Mr. Hambo suggests and they are fantastic for that. (Copics can be used the same way, btw.) I'm also loving them all by themselves on watercolor paper. The colors are absolutely scrumptious.

Oh, and so at not to hijack this thread completely, I think I would recommend the Prismacolors for a beginner. They are less costly (think 40% coupon at Michaels') and very versatile. I use mine most often without Gamsol, and they are perfect for coloring small images. Another nice thing about Prismacolor pencils is that you can color on colored cardstock and printed paper, and if you're not using Gamsol, the ink you use doesn't matter much. Don't get me wrong, I love my Copics, and they would be great to add later, but I would recommend the pencils to start.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies

Last edited by Donnarie; 02-19-2010 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Still can't type real good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnarieView Post
I've got the 72 color set, and I can't think of a color in there that I would want to be without. I've used them under Prismas as Mr. Hambo suggests and they are fantastic for that. (Copics can be used the same way, btw.) I'm also loving them all by themselves on watercolor paper. The colors are absolutely scrumptious.
Oh, lolly. I had a feeling you'd enable me . . . ;)

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I love my Prismas. I started out yrs ago w/ the 72 set. This Christmas, DH filled in the difference between that and the 132 plus some new colors. I'm in heaven! Usually, I don't use gamsol or baby oil. I have a couple of Prisma colorless blender pencils which make it easy and more precise. You can get a pack of 2 at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both Copics and pencils, and I must say that although I'm getting used to the Copics, I still gravitate towards my pencils. It is (to me) a lot easier to get the color exactly where I want it to go
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by justwritedesignsView Post
I love my Prismas. I started out yrs ago w/ the 72 set. This Christmas, DH filled in the difference between that and the 132 plus some new colors. I'm in heaven! Usually, I don't use gamsol or baby oil. I have a couple of Prisma colorless blender pencils which make it easy and more precise. You can get a pack of 2 at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars.
I too have tried the colorless blending pencil but I found that the colors do not brighten up like they do when I use baby oil. I do like to use it for smaller more precise areas though. It is cheaper than buying blending stumps, sandpaper blocks and OMS or baby oil.

I have copics (82 of them) also but for a beginner, I think that pencils are easier to learn (and cheaper!!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I have the 24 Inktense set... they are pricey. Since I do mostly under coloring with them it's fine but the colors are kind of weird and find myself wanting colors I don't have. HTH or did it just confuse?

Tim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh, lolly. I had a feeling you'd enable me . . . ;)

*chuckle*
I'm here to serve. :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like to use Copics and then use Prismas for extra shading......I have a tutorial on my blog.

But, of course, now I am being enabled to buy another coloring medium!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm posting this just so you all can see that bright, fully saturated color is possible with Prismacolors with or without the use of a solvent like Gamsol, OMS or baby oil. I started this piece in the upper left hand corner using OMS to blend the colors. I soon realized that if I put enough layers of color down first, I could achieve the same blending with just the pencils and finished the piece with no solvent at all. The real trick is to get enough of the pigment on the paper so that you can move it around, and to do that you need to work in layers. I was working on colored paper here, so the first layer I put down was white, then I worked the rest of the colors from light to dark.

Just thought I'd share.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm posting this just so you all can see that bright, fully saturated color is possible with Prismacolors with or without the use of a solvent like Gamsol, OMS or baby oil. I started this piece in the upper left hand corner using OMS to blend the colors. I soon realized that if I put enough layers of color down first, I could achieve the same blending with just the pencils and finished the piece with no solvent at all. The real trick is to get enough of the pigment on the paper so that you can move it around, and to do that you need to work in layers. I was working on colored paper here, so the first layer I put down was white, then I worked the rest of the colors from light to dark.

Just thought I'd share.

Ooooh, LOLLY!!! I see what you mean! Altho, you had me pre-pic. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
I have the 24 Inktense set... they are pricey. Since I do mostly under coloring with them it's fine but the colors are kind of weird and find myself wanting colors I don't have. HTH or did it just confuse?

Tim

No--makes sense! It is maddening to want more colors and not have them at your disposal, so given the comparative costs to other more expensive coloring tools, I'm inclined to go for a larger set, based on your thoughts, and Donnarie's smooth persuasion and enablement skillz . . . ;)

*chuckle*

Or, mebbe I'm just easy.

BAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Just thought I'd share.
Wonderful drawing Donna!! Quite impressive!! I usually don't use OMS but I have lately just because the water that I do use with the Inktense roughs up the paper a little and the prismas go down rough. So in areas with few layers I use it now.

Tim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #37  

I'm w/ you, Donna. I find just adding layers of color gives very intense shades, if that's what you're going for. The blender pencil I use mainly to smooth things out. When I'm shading, I usually use a lighter color of the same family to blend with.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post

Thanks so much for the video ... so very helpful ... I always struggle with shading and this explained everything perfectly.
Now I need to find gamsol .... does Michaels carry it ?? I cannot find it in Canada...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I vowed that I would never be a Copics user. Well, between you and me, I now own 17 of them. I have only had them for about a week, but have enjoyed playing around with them. I am not satisfied enough to use them as my best quality work, but I am going to keep trying.

With that said, my Gamsol and Prismas are my good ole stand by. Kind of like an old friend.

Have fun trying to decide and maybe the post above about getting the BIC markers might be a fun place to begin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #40  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy_38View Post
Thanks so much for the video ... so very helpful ... I always struggle with shading and this explained everything perfectly.
Now I need to find gamsol .... does Michaels carry it ?? I cannot find it in Canada...
Terrie,
Gamsol is merely odorless mineral spirits (OMS). The only difference between the two is the name. Micheal's carries OMS (not sure of the brand, maybe Mona Lisa?) you can also get it at any home improvement store or just about anywhere you can buy paint.

Reply With Quote Likes