Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me, or is Paper Crafts not dazzling as it used to be?

Maybe I am just so used to seeing the fabulous work on SCS that anything else is just less or maybe it's just me and feeling like I have "seen it" all - but the past few Paper Crafts mags have not dazzled me much at all.

I always take out the pages that I like and keep them in binders and often I used to have quite a lot of pages. Over the past year it has been less and less. This issue (March/April) I took out only the article on Paper Piecing- 2 pages, one of the Got To springtime card sketches - 2 pages, and the first page on Colors of Spring - just for the color combo only.

Also maybe it is all the stamping and work we put into our cards, but it is really hard to see a card published that instructions consists of "make card, attach sticker, stamp sentiment" and that's it. A sticker? I would have not guessed it was that easy to get something published!

SO maybe it's just me - ??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to buy that magazine at the newsstand all the time. Finally decided to subscribe to it and, like you, wasn't thrilled with it anymore. So I won't be resubscribing once it runs out (which is very soon if it didn't already happen)

I just think that my style has changed and their style doesn't appeal to me anymore.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I very much enjoy receiving it, although the specialty issue Stamp It (I think that's the name) was even better.

I'm not sure dazzling is a word I would use to describe each item, but taken together, I get a lot of ideas and look forward to seeing it.

The one thing I don't like is the numerous cards made with the same stamp set or with sets from a very limited number of companies. I'm not sure why that is.

In any event, I'm a happy subscriber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paper Crafts was an offshoot of the popular Creating Keepsakes scrapbooking magazine, so art-stamping with regards to card-making was not a technique that was particularly centered around. I think it was originally intended to be more like, "make cards with your left over scrapbook supplies", and has evolved over time to encompass a greater variety of card-making strategies.

If you are feeling decreasingly inspired by the magazine, however, I recommend sending the editor an email and expressing your concerns--they welcome reader feedback; after all, they want to produce a magazine that folks want to buy/subscribe to, and recommend to others. ;)

I know many enjoy Card Maker magazine, due to the great(er) variety of stamp companies and art styles represented, and more in depth technique articles, so you might snag a copy off the rack and give it a peek.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingersView Post
Maybe I am just so used to seeing the fabulous work on SCS that anything else is just less or maybe it's just me and feeling like I have "seen it" all - but the past few Paper Crafts mags have not dazzled me much at all.

I always take out the pages that I like and keep them in binders and often I used to have quite a lot of pages. Over the past year it has been less and less. This issue (March/April) I took out only the article on Paper Piecing- 2 pages, one of the Got To springtime card sketches - 2 pages, and the first page on Colors of Spring - just for the color combo only.

Also maybe it is all the stamping and work we put into our cards, but it is really hard to see a card published that instructions consists of "make card, attach sticker, stamp sentiment" and that's it. A sticker? I would have not guessed it was that easy to get something published!

Oh, no, it's definitely not just you. I haven't been impressed by this magazine in quite awhile, and I won't be renewing it. I, like you, get very frustrated with their (lack of) directions. Phrases such as "make card front a little smaller than base," and "attach sticker and ribbon" just don't do it for me. There are no measurements except for a finished size, and I prefer to not use so many pre-made embellishments. I have sent several comments to the editor, but I've never received a reply nor seen a change in their presentation. I guess this magazine just isn't for me anymore. CardMaker is my new favorite card making magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a subscription a couple years ago, but didn't renew. I recently let my CARDS subscription run out because while cards and photographs were stunning, the editorial content was horrendous.

I recently re-subscribed to Papercrafts and I have to say I LOVE IT! Lots of beautiful cards and projects and I think their editorial content is just what it should be.

I think the magazine is way better than it was a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree. I used to by it ALL the time, ESPECIALLY the christmas issues. In the last two years, I've probably only purchased one or two issues. I just haven't really liked the projects like I used.

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still love it. But I think my own card tastes have changed and so it is still a good fit for me. Like quick cards that are really CAS in nature. I don't mind premade materials, I either use something similar or make something similar.

I will agree that your average issue of any magazine is not more inspiring than any day's gallery entries here, add in the 300+ blogs I read and I definately get more inspiration from the net than I do from any magazines. However I can't surf the net while I'm laying in bed, or at the park with my kids or waiting for a Dr appt. So magazines are still valuable for me.

Papercrafts is my favorite. Stamp It Cards, the special issue is my very favorite thing that happens in print all year. Right with the Hero Arts catalog and the Stampin' Up catalog. I don't get any more craft magazine subscriptions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #9  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Well....I don't realllllly think it's that easy! ;)

You could always submit to them- they (mags in general) always say they can't print what they don't have submitted to them!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I have to say, I'm disappointed that you feel that way. To be clear, yeah, I know... I'm biased.

One point to keep in mind regarding the different projects that are featured is that there is a vast... and I mean VAST... variety of crafty folks out there. Some have been around the stamping block for forever and love to create projects that take a bit more time and technique... some, not so much. I know that lots of thought is given to try and represent a wide variety of expertise and style, kwim?

I might be kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from you... I am totally jazzed when I see clean and simple projects that are still striking. (Then again, I have 3 munchkins who limit my time at the work table to, oh, 10 minutes at a time so that may be a factor in my clean and simple approach!) I also try to view each project from the "what can I do to make this project more in line with my own style?" kind of perspective. Just because I don't tend to do super layered, super embellished projects like Betsy Veldman doesn't mean I'm not inspired by them, cause let me tell ya, that girl *totally* inspires me even if our styles are, um, pretty much nothing alike, lol! I love picking out just a detail or two of projects like that and letting in inspire a project more in line with my clean and simple style.

Regarding the instructions... unfortunately, I think some details simply come down to space. In order to bring you the beautiful pictures of all projects... and the sheer number of projects that Paper Crafts includes... it just may not be as realistic to include details of every layer down to the specific size. (Actually, that might work on cards like mine where I tend to avoid layers like the plague and embrace white space as if it's a long lost friend, but maybe not so well on projects from others! Trying not to pick on Betsy again, there, haha!)

I do know that we do an annual reader survey every year that is very well publicized. I can tell you from experience that the results of those surveys are gone over with a fine tooth comb. An extremely fine tooth. There are also 2 very active magazine blogs and a Facebook page and we are available through those all the time! We want to hear from you! Also, I know that the 5 other Go-to-Gals and myself are pretty darned easy to find! Obviously, I saw this thread in just my daily dose of SCS!

Thank you for your comments, guys. We really do want to know what you're thinking!
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the interests of saving a bit of money, I let my subscription go and to be honest, I haven't missed it too much, I am on here so much anyway. I do love Cardmaker though, and get that one.

I told myself I will look at the newstand Papercrafts and if enough appeals to me, I'll buy it there. But I haven't yet because I seem to have enough inspiration. I found so much I didn't like--skulls and stuff at Halloween, etc., it was a waste for some of the issues for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh speaking of Papercrafts (I above stated that I'm still loving them) I will say I noticed in the past few issues that they are Papertrey Ink-a-rifick! If you love Papertrey, like me, it's fun to see so many cards with a favorite company.

It used to be that there would be Stampin' Up on the pages of every magazine I picked up. Now I love Stampin' Up! too but it's fun to see the changing trends. Of course for me I'm more into PTI than SU right now so the change is, again, right with my style.

That's not really a critique or anything, just an observation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been increasingly disappointed in this magazine and am very close to not renewing anymore. I have had a subscription from the very first issue and it is a very different magazine than it once was. Frankly, it should be called CardCrafts now, not PaperCrafts. The projects and themes that used to be in each magazine were wonderful....now all it is is cards. Why should I subscribe when there are already a bunch of other card magazines out there (and the whole of SCS)?

I have often thought of doing a numbers comparison post on my blog. This past issue has 98% cards, or thereabouts, a few tags and a decorated bag. Really?

Remember the days when they would do projects? A whole set of projects would include a card, maybe a bag or tag, a centerpiece, a favor and other super creative and thoughtful items. For example, let's pull out the Aug/Sept 2007 issue. Besides cards, this issue has journals, frames, recipe boxes, a lamp shade, purse, candle holder, shadowbox, lunch box, calendar pages, bookmarks and a desk organizer, to name a few things. Wow ~ I now have the urge to go reread this issue. THAT is the kind of creativity I want to see. THAT is the magazine I adored, the magazine I couldn't wait for to arrive, the magazine that I dogeared for ideas. Now, I read it once and basically feel a been there, done that, let's hop on over to SCS attitude.

Maybe Papercrafts will listen and become a powerhouse of creative projects like it once was. If it does, I will definitely renew my subscription. If not, why bother.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
I have been increasingly disappointed in this magazine and am very close to not renewing anymore. I have had a subscription from the very first issue and it is a very different magazine than it once was. Frankly, it should be called CardCrafts now, not PaperCrafts. The projects and themes that used to be in each magazine were wonderful....now all it is is cards. Why should I subscribe when there are already a bunch of other card magazines out there (and the whole of SCS)?

I have often thought of doing a numbers comparison post on my blog. This past issue has 98% cards, or thereabouts, a few tags and a decorated bag. Really?

Remember the days when they would do projects? A whole set of projects would include a card, maybe a bag or tag, a centerpiece, a favor and other super creative and thoughtful items. For example, let's pull out the Aug/Sept 2007 issue. Besides cards, this issue has journals, frames, recipe boxes, a lamp shade, purse, candle holder, shadowbox, lunch box, calendar pages, bookmarks and a desk organizer, to name a few things. Wow ~ I now have the urge to go reread this issue. THAT is the kind of creativity I want to see. THAT is the magazine I adored, the magazine I couldn't wait for to arrive, the magazine that I dogeared for ideas. Now, I read it once and basically feel a been there, done that, let's hop on over to SCS attitude.

Maybe Papercrafts will listen and become a powerhouse of creative projects like it once was. If it does, I will definitely renew my subscription. If not, why bother.
YES - that is what I remember also. I have a few issues intact there were so many ideas, like you said a variety of ideas.

ALso a few people pointed out my comment on the directions on one card, I was not annoyed by the lack of direction (that was not what I was referring to), but the fact that the card was so simple so as to include 3 very easy directions, less directions than I give my kindergartener and his friends for heaven's sake. I hear of people from SCS and other places sending in a ton of stuff to publish and a sticker and plan stamped sentiment is what gets published, is what I was upset about. I look to these magazines for inspiration and that kind of card is something even my 9 year old was not inspired over.

I like showing a variety but maybe keep the ultra simple things like that in the step it up section so that people just starting out can see the variation.

I recently sent in a survey that Paper Crafts had and I had posted my comments then about the direction they were going in from where they were years ago, and hopefully the next few issues will go back to the way they were.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_wittyView Post
I have to say, I'm disappointed that you feel that way. To be clear, yeah, I know... I'm biased.

One point to keep in mind regarding the different projects that are featured is that there is a vast... and I mean VAST... variety of crafty folks out there. Some have been around the stamping block for forever and love to create projects that take a bit more time and technique... some, not so much. I know that lots of thought is given to try and represent a wide variety of expertise and style, kwim?

I might be kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from you... I am totally jazzed when I see clean and simple projects that are still striking. (Then again, I have 3 munchkins who limit my time at the work table to, oh, 10 minutes at a time so that may be a factor in my clean and simple approach!) I also try to view each project from the "what can I do to make this project more in line with my own style?" kind of perspective. Just because I don't tend to do super layered, super embellished projects like Betsy Veldman doesn't mean I'm not inspired by them, cause let me tell ya, that girl *totally* inspires me even if our styles are, um, pretty much nothing alike, lol! I love picking out just a detail or two of projects like that and letting in inspire a project more in line with my clean and simple style.

Regarding the instructions... unfortunately, I think some details simply come down to space. In order to bring you the beautiful pictures of all projects... and the sheer number of projects that Paper Crafts includes... it just may not be as realistic to include details of every layer down to the specific size. (Actually, that might work on cards like mine where I tend to avoid layers like the plague and embrace white space as if it's a long lost friend, but maybe not so well on projects from others! Trying not to pick on Betsy again, there, haha!)

I do know that we do an annual reader survey every year that is very well publicized. I can tell you from experience that the results of those surveys are gone over with a fine tooth comb. An extremely fine tooth. There are also 2 very active magazine blogs and a Facebook page and we are available through those all the time! We want to hear from you! Also, I know that the 5 other Go-to-Gals and myself are pretty darned easy to find! Obviously, I saw this thread in just my daily dose of SCS!

Thank you for your comments, guys. We really do want to know what you're thinking!
First, thank you for taking the time to read our comments and post this reply. Personally, I don't think that detailed directions should be sacrificed for larger photos. Actually, it takes less space to print, "Make layer 4" x 5" " than it does to print, "Make layer a little smaller than card base." Maybe fewer projects and more details would be the best way to go. I look for quality in a magazine as opposed to quantity, but I know that not everyone thinks the same way as I do. I faithfully fill out the reader surveys in the hopes of seeing some changes, but I haven't seen them. Hopefully, more readers will give feedback so that PC knows what we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After many many years of subbing to Paper Crafts. I just let them go. The magazine, Just wasn't what is was.

And I've turned to other card related magazines and I'm looking into getting something else that fit's my wants and needs.

Like Card Maker, Stamp it! Scrap & stamp.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's some quick numbers on the newest issue.....

120 cards (plus 9 more in the online corner)
1 bag
1 gift box
1 packet
1 frame
Page of decorated easter eggs

96% of the magazine is cards, hardly a representation of all paper craft projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
And I've turned to other card related magazines and I'm looking into getting something else that fit's my wants and needs.

Like Card Maker, Stamp it! Scrap & stamp.
Stamp It! is actually my favorite issue every year... it is special issue put out by Paper Crafts.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to add a comment here in praise of Stamp It! The current issue is wonderful! I look through mine over and over and over and use it for inspiration all the time! LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

To answer some of the comments about what kinds of projects are featured, I can agree with a previous poster above who mentioned that the content in Paper Crafts is driven by the projects that are submitted... there has been a gradual change over the years from sets, centerpieces, etc, being submitted to an overwhelmingly distinct interest in cards. It seems that those who are submitting projects are focusing on cards. (And who can blame them? I think we would find that it is very similar this very place that we all know and love... the vast majority of the projects posted and featured here are cards.) Also, of those who respond to the annual survey (and I can tell you that in general, it is a very high number of respondants) the number one suggestion by far has been more cards, less projects.

I would also like to encourage any and all of you to submit the things that you are interested in seeing in the magazine... and that goes for submitting to the print publication as well as participating in the challenges that are issued on both the Moxie Fab World blog and the Paper Crafts Connection blog. That is a super easy way to get your project loves out there and to know that they are being seen! If we see that there is a growing interest in the kind of project that you like, then you can bet we'll be noticing it!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Laura... did you happen to see the Holiday Cards & More issue that came out last fall? It was an extra big issue that featured TONS of home decor projects, gifts, centerpieces, etc. Yes, it has a holiday focus, but sooo many of the projects shown are really perfect for any occasion or would be perfect to use the same basic thought and create a non-holiday project. That might be exactly what you're looking for.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

ahh I finally bought the stamp it and papercrafts mag on Monday, I havent really seen them both but great cards. Just the feeling of that person getting published is an honor.
Oh yea the holiday mag was amazing, loved it all.
I did buy the magazines for some baby card inspiration was sad that they didnt have many but maybe next magazine ;)
I will still buy no matter what great inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
First, thank you for taking the time to read our comments and post this reply.
Not a problem! One of our main goals is to be accessible... long before I was ever affiliated with Paper Crafts I was a fan of the magazine and read it (and still do!) with as much passion and interest for what it had to offer as everyone else here. I love seeing what everyone has to say.

I'm glad to hear that you personally make sure to fill out the survey... that is super helpful in seeing what you guys want. I don't agree that we're choosing quantity over quality in how we're presenting the projects and instructions, and I'm sure that all of the designers who are featured... many, many of them from right here at SCS... would agree. I think the main issue is that there are only so many pages in the magazine. There is a definite balance that needs to be met as some folks say that they study the magazine only for the pictures (yes, there are lots of those people, too!) and those folks who prefer more detailed instructions. That topic is in constant conversation, I can assure you.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Jess thanks for getting back to us I am kind of embarrassed not realizing someone from the magazine was on here - I guess I have to say I am just really passionate about things - I really loved the magazine and would hate to have to give it up if it is not inspiring me as much as it used to!!

I appreciate also that you took the time to get back to us. I realize and kind of forgot it was driven by what you receive and I guess was not taking that into consideration. I always hear so many people trying to "get published" so I guess I was a little upset to see so many things that I didn't think were that difficult when I know there are so many people that kill themselves trying to put stuff together. I guess there are other things to consider as well, as you pointed out, the varied difference in skill level.

Thanks again, I guess I was in a 'mood' when I posted and I realize I was probably a bit overly judgmental. I guess it is kind of upsetting that all the great publications are struggling and I didn't want this one to fall by the wayside, it has always been a favorite of mine.

Thanks again -

Last edited by pigfingers; 02-18-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #25  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

I have subscribed to Papercrafts for years. I love the heavier emphasis on cards (never cared much for the projects), but I agree that some of the published ones aren't heavy on technique. I have faith in the overall plan though and if I don't find lots to love in an issue or two, I know a great one that suits my style is coming. One fun thing to do is analyze what you don't like about a card and make it into what you would like, this is often more fun than CASEing a card I love (probably calms my creativity twitch a little better . Also, Stamp It is by far my favorite, wish it could be published more often!

Everyone's varied tastes is what keeps life and SCS fun and interesting!

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

I understand what you're saying, Dayna. (I really like the spelling of your name, by the way. The only Dayna's I've ever know have been Dana's.)

I am not on the inside as far as which projects are chosen, but I do know that it's a tough meeting and that the projects are judged "blind", meaning that the editors don't know the names of who submitted the projects. Sometimes projects are picked that aren't my personal style, too, but I try to keep a pretty open mind and focus on the mag as a whole, ;).
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDView Post
Also, Stamp It is by far my favorite, wish it could be published more often!
Agreed. Now if only I could get everyone on my side on this one, then we could have Stamp It! all the time {insert evil laugh here}! Aw, heck, I'll just go ahead and give it a big bwahahahahaha!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Jess thanks for getting back to us I am kind of embarrassed not realizing someone from the magazine was on here - I guess I have to say I am just really passionate about things - I really loved the magazine and would hate to have to give it up if it is not inspiring me as much as it used to!!

I appreciate also that you took the time to get back to us. I realize and kind of forgot it was driven by what you receive and I guess was not taking that into consideration. I always hear so many people trying to "get published" so I guess I was a little upset to see so many things that I didn't think were that difficult when I know there are so many people that kill themselves trying to put stuff together. I guess there are other things to consider as well, as you pointed out, the varied difference in skill level.

Thanks again, I guess I was in a 'mood' when I posted and I realize I was probably a bit overly judgmental. I guess it is kind of upsetting that all the great publications are struggling and I didn't want this one to fall by the wayside, it has always been a favorite of mine.

Thanks again -
Oh, girl, please! No need to be embarrassed for putting your opinion out there. If that were the case, I'd have to be embarrassed 99% of my day, I swear. We're all very happy to speak up and be the "voices" (so to speak) for Paper Crafts... I still pinch myself a little bit that I even get to do that. I can happily reassure you that Paper Crafts isn't going anywhere, my friend :-D.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Well, I guess I am in the minority, then, but that's not surprising to me. I usually dance to the beat of a different drummer. As a previous poster said, it is our diversity that makes life interesting. There's something for everyone out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Well, I guess I am in the minority, then, but that's not surprising to me. I usually dance to the beat of a different drummer. As a previous poster said, it is our diversity that makes life interesting. There's something for everyone out there.
My husband actually is a drummer, so I can attest to that!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, Dayna. (I really like the spelling of your name, by the way. The only Dayna's I've ever know have been Dana's.)

I am not on the inside as far as which projects are chosen, but I do know that it's a tough meeting and that the projects are judged "blind", meaning that the editors don't know the names of who submitted the projects. Sometimes projects are picked that aren't my personal style, too, but I try to keep a pretty open mind and focus on the mag as a whole, ;).
LOL after this post I am really glad it is "blind" because I would hate to send something in and have them say "oh no, not this girl, she didn't like our last issue" - LOL - just kidding! Yes my sister is an artist and is always saying that art is subjective. She went to school for commercial art and she said she had the hardest time with that - I guess since our personalities are so much alike, I totally get that!

Thanks on the compliment on my name. My dad likes to tell everyone it was his idea which I find funny since I have found a few people that are older than me with the same spelling, LOL but I let him think it was his idea!

I will have to check out this special Stamp It everyone is raving about - our area doesn't get a lot of things at the newstands so I will have to hunt around.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I have noticed that at SCS and other STAMPING related forums there is a huge emphasis on colouring with Copics; but that hasn't crossed over to the mag's so much. Every time I get a card published it's a quick and easy card, not one of my Copic creations (that gets the most comments on here and my blog...)

I too have noticed that Papercrafts have a completely different style than a lot of the "big names" here at SCS. Papercrafts is more clean and simple, scrappy cards, etc.. and SCS is ten thousand layers, tonnes of copic colouring, with less use of scrapbook stupplies etc.. (again I am generalizing..but you know what I mean..) I like Papercrafts because I like the scrappy cards, the cards with stickers (well duh I just got on the SRM sticker DT.. haha) but it is obvious that I love my Copic cards too.. The one thing about those clean and simple cards: it LOOKS easy, but it's not. Try slapping a sticker on a card randomly. It doesn't look that great. It takes style to rock a simple card!

So if your tastes are changing, or if it's Papercrafts that's changing, c'est la vie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I most often keep my opinions here to myself but I for one LOVE Paper Crafts. It has been a great source of inspiration for years and I continue to look for my subscription copy. Yes, I often get a designer copy but I continue to support Paper Crafts for the times that I don't.

I love the fresh looks in Paper Crafts. Never do the projects look like they belong in another decade. I love the variety of styles from vintage to clean and I love the humor. There's never an issue where I don't say ... I wish I had thought of that...at least once. As for the simple projects....they are the HARDEST to do well. Kudos to the designers who pull off that style each and every time.

Basically...the crafting world is full of different styles and none is better than the other. A technique laden card is not necessarily better than a crisp design. I may not like a certain style while you may. That's totally fine. Art is subjective and that's the way it should be.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Without violating any kind of TOS or Constitutional Rights, etc, I have to say something.

I am a little annoyed that the OP was not able to make a post regarding her opinion without some sort of corporate representitive jumping into the conversation to Paper Crafts defense.

Now, I don't read any craft magazines (why, when I have SCS - lol) so I don't have an opinion on Paper Crafts but the OP was "called out" and even said herself that she was a little embarassed by the "go to gal's" reading the thread and then responding. I, too, would have been mortified if I were the OP! It's one thing when we state our opinions and "debate" the pros and cons of different issues (this one being the quality of a magazine) as a "public" but I think it's absurd for a corporate rep to confront, comment and then attempt to change the minds of those who agreed with the OP.

Sorry, but perhaps Paper Crafts magazines should actually pay attention to what people are asking for (since clearly several people here have said that they fill out the surveys and sent letters to the editorial staff) instead of harping on the consumer personally and their opinions of their product.

This post is not to personally offend the Paper Craft "go to gal" in any way whatsoever. I didn't think her post was offensive but I don't think that she should have called out the OP in a public way to try to change her or anyone else who posted's mind. It almost reminds me of how ANYONE posts anything remotely negative about SU! (or most recently, PTI, etc), they are almost attacked for having and stating their opinions here about it.

STEPPING OFF SOAPBOX NOW! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
Without violating any kind of TOS or Constitutional Rights, etc, I have to say something.

I am a little annoyed that the OP was not able to make a post regarding her opinion without some sort of corporate representitive jumping into the conversation to Paper Crafts defense.

Now, I don't read any craft magazines (why, when I have SCS - lol) so I don't have an opinion on Paper Crafts but the OP was "called out" and even said herself that she was a little embarassed by the "go to gal's" reading the thread and then responding. I, too, would have been mortified if I were the OP! It's one thing when we state our opinions and "debate" the pros and cons of different issues (this one being the quality of a magazine) as a "public" but I think it's absurd for a corporate rep to confront, comment and then attempt to change the minds of those who agreed with the OP.

Sorry, but perhaps Paper Crafts magazines should actually pay attention to what people are asking for (since clearly several people here have said that they fill out the surveys and sent letters to the editorial staff) instead of harping on the consumer personally and their opinions of their product.

This post is not to personally offend the Paper Craft "go to gal" in any way whatsoever. I didn't think her post was offensive but I don't think that she should have called out the OP in a public way to try to change her or anyone else who posted's mind. It almost reminds me of how ANYONE posts anything remotely negative about SU! (or most recently, PTI, etc), they are almost attacked for having and stating their opinions here about it.

STEPPING OFF SOAPBOX NOW! :-)
Well, I'm certainly not a "corporate" representative; I am a designer who works for the mag and who is also a member here at SCS. If you'll look at my profile, you'll notice I was a member of SCS long, long before I was ever a designer working with Paper Crafts. In fact, I was a member here before there actually was a Paper Crafts Magazine. I'm not sure that my being affiliated with Paper Crafts should take away my ability to contribute here on SCS.

I believe my contributions here have been nothing but above board, gracious, and very inviting of others to chime in. I in no way "harped on" the original poster or any poster for that matter. In fact, I believe the tone of this thread has been quite pleasant... until now.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Well, I'm certainly not a "corporate" representative; I am a designer who works for the mag and who is also a member here at SCS. If you'll look at my profile, you'll notice I was a member of SCS long, long before I was ever a designer working with Paper Crafts. In fact, I was a member here before there actually was a Paper Crafts Magazine. I'm not sure that my being affiliated with Paper Crafts should take away ability to contribute here on SCS.

I believe my contributions here have been nothing but above board, gracious, and very inviting of others to chime in. I in no way "harped on" the original poster or any poster for that matter. In fact, I believe the tone of this thread has been quite pleasant... until now.
I would completely agree that your posts were positive towards Paper Crafts but I disagree with the statement that you are not a corporate rep of Paper Crafts. You admit yourself that you're biased - and that's fine - but in my interpretation of your posts, they've been to "disagree" with the OP's opinion that the magazine isn't as great as it used to be. Due to your affiliation with the magazine, TO ME, your replying to the OP on the forum, instead of say - as a PM - is icky. You called her out, plain and simple. You say yourself that you're proud to be a "voice" for Paper Crafts. That would lead me to believe that you're representing Paper Crafts. I'm not trying to debate you here, nor am I trying to be "unpleasant" but that's how I see it. Also, I don't think your Paper Crafts "status" should take away from your ability to post here on SCS but I do think that it's viewed in a different way when you're commenting on a Paper Crafts "issue". I would feel the same way about a SU! demo or employee "calling out" someone who posted a negative comment about SU! (which happens all the time here).

Issues like this is what makes so many lurkers out there. It's coming to a point where no one is allowed to state a negative opinion of products, companies, magazines, etc without a corporate rep coming on here to disagree. (That last sentence was not directed towards only this thread but so many out there where similar issues like that have come up.)

I'm sorry that you've insinuated that I've taken this thread to a turn for the worst, and my intention was not to offend you but just like you, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Last edited by mama2oliviamae; 02-18-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: duh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Laura... did you happen to see the Holiday Cards & More issue that came out last fall? It was an extra big issue that featured TONS of home decor projects, gifts, centerpieces, etc. Yes, it has a holiday focus, but sooo many of the projects shown are really perfect for any occasion or would be perfect to use the same basic thought and create a non-holiday project. That might be exactly what you're looking for.
Jess, to be honest, I no longer jump on the Paper Craft issues like I once did because of the change of direction the magazine took so I did not see the issue you are talking about. Am I totally off base, but doesn't Paper Crafts also publish Card Creations? And with all their card special issues, I would think they would use this mag as a chance to highlight the things you can do besides cards.

This month's issue had a section on wedding and babies. PERFECT opportunity for great projects.

I have no issue whatsoever with the type of cards they choose to publish ~ it's the lack of any other type of inspiration that disappoints me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I feel like I want to add my two cents worth because I used to love Papercrafts mag very much, subscribed for years, but cancelled 6 months ago because I just wasn't happy with the content anymore. I don't think the projects are above and beyond what I see on a daily basis on the various blogs I visit everyday, or in the SCS gallery. I think they should be though, if I were to resume buying the magazine. Not only above and beyond, but the magazine has to offer something I won't get right here, or on someone's blog. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, one thing that has irked me since the first magazine I ever picked up is the 'supply list'. It is extremely annoying and confusing to me! If there is a particular product that I am curious about, I have the hardest time trying to match up the manufacturer name to the product. The parenthesis, the colons, the semicolons, aarrgh! It would be much, much easier to read/understand if it was a simple bulleted/numbered list. KWIM? Maybe it's just me but it drives me up the wall...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

I'm not sure how I called anyone out on their personal opinion simply by posting my own opinion. It seems that people would start threads and post their personal opinions here... on an open, public forum... because they have a desire to be heard. This is, by far, the best stamping forum out there. It only makes sense that lots of people from the stamping and scrapping industry would hang out here.

I didn't get the feeling from anyone who replied to this thread that they were offended by my responses. In fact, those who replied have seemed appreciative and still continued to express their opinions... positive or negative.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
Jess, to be honest, I no longer jump on the Paper Craft issues like I once did because of the change of direction the magazine took so I did not see the issue you are talking about. Am I totally off base, but doesn't Paper Crafts also publish Card Creations? And with all their card special issues, I would think they would use this mag as a chance to highlight the things you can do besides cards.

This month's issue had a section on wedding and babies. PERFECT opportunity for great projects.

I have no issue whatsoever with the type of cards they choose to publish ~ it's the lack of any other type of inspiration that disappoints me.
Yes... Card Creations is a special issue of Paper Crafts. I hear what you're saying about having that special issue alongside the regular issues. Don't worry... I'll be sure to take your opinion to the top the next time we have a discussion along this topic.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes