Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need a good suggestion on a good camera

I am in serious need of camera help!! My camera just takes horrible pictures and it is putting a halt to my scrapping. I need a good camera that takes great action shots. Please someone help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I guess it depends on what type you are looking for. My thoughts are you can never go wrong with a Canon! I own several ranging in price from $200 to $1000 and have never been disapointed. The last one I purchased was a Canon Powershot SD870IS. I loveeee it! Compact yet takes FABulous photos. I wanted something small that I could carry on my pocketbook and not have to lug around all my filters and lens. It has a great continuous feature. Google "dpreview". Its my favorite site for camera reviews. I can't post a link cause I'm new I guess.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

A digital SLR is a fabulous camera!! I have a Nikon D50 and I love it!! Tey have since come out with even more user-friendly SLRs and the price really isn't that bad!

Check this one out:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...nikond3000.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Love my Olympus

I'm a really big fan of the Olympus line. I too wanted the best I could afford for scrapbooking. 2 years ago my husband bought me an Olympus Evolt E-510. Cost about 1000.00 but it is 10mp and "oh my goodness". It takes such good pics that I have friends begging me to do their family portraits with it. I blows us away. I also have a smaller Olympus Stylus 800 All Weather camera that I can just grab if I don't want to carry my bigger one. It is only 8.0 mp but it also takes amazing shots. I got it at Wal-Mart about 5 years ago and I've used the heck out of it. I think I paid about 225.00 for it back then. That's the ones I have recent experience with and can highly recommend both depending on your price range. Hope this helps.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I invested in a digital SLR last summer and got a Canon Rebel Xsi. Even using full auto settings it takes great photos. But I like to use full manual and challenge myself to learn the different settings.

BUT if that doesn't appeal to you there are some fantastic point-and-shoot cameras out there. I would advise you go to a local camera store or electronics store and try several out to see what you like best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Another Olympus fan here. I looked at Nikon and Canon when I was buying, but I'd been using Olympus cameras for 20 years, so when I liked the feel of the E series in my hand, I stuck with it. I was used to their menu system, and had always had positive experiences with customer support.
The only downside is because of the Three Fourths lens mount, you won't get many generic lenses to fit, you're more tied in to the Zuiko ones for Olympus.
I'd certainly agree with Tracy that it's worth going to a shop and getting the feel of a couple in your hand, whether it's DSLR or compact you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I love Pentax! I had a regular SLR of theirs for years before I went digital. Then my family gave me a Canon digital camera. It was okay, but I still kept my Pentax because I loved that camera and it had way more features and options. Then Pentax advertised that their digital SLR camera was able to take all Pentax lenses, and since I already had three lenses, I got a Pentax "body". I've had that camera for five years now and have never been disappointed. There's not a "lag" like I noticed with the Canon, and apparantly, you can get a different memory card to help reduce that lag even further. Good luck in your quest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprestonView Post
I am in serious need of camera help!! My camera just takes horrible pictures and it is putting a halt to my scrapping. I need a good camera that takes great action shots. Please someone help me.
I just bought a Kodak Easyshare Z915 and love it. I spent 179.99 at walmart but they are on sale at kodak.com right now for 129.99. Has 12x zoom and 10.1 mp. I really really love it.

Hugs
Jaunice'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I invested in a digital SLR last summer and got a Canon Rebel Xsi. Even using full auto settings it takes great photos. But I like to use full manual and challenge myself to learn the different settings.

BUT if that doesn't appeal to you there are some fantastic point-and-shoot cameras out there. I would advise you go to a local camera store or electronics store and try several out to see what you like best.
Another vote for the rebel! Love it! Feels a little professional, too. Before that, I had an Olympus stylus that was really easy to use, and took nice pictures. It was great until my son knocked it off the back of my car. Didn't take the drop well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by prismadonnaView Post
I'm a really big fan of the Olympus line. I too wanted the best I could afford for scrapbooking. 2 years ago my husband bought me an Olympus Evolt E-510. Cost about 1000.00 but it is 10mp and "oh my goodness". It takes such good pics that I have friends begging me to do their family portraits with it. I blows us away. I also have a smaller Olympus Stylus 800 All Weather camera that I can just grab if I don't want to carry my bigger one. It is only 8.0 mp but it also takes amazing shots. I got it at Wal-Mart about 5 years ago and I've used the heck out of it. I think I paid about 225.00 for it back then. That's the ones I have recent experience with and can highly recommend both depending on your price range. Hope this helps.:p
Just a warning on Olympus products - I LOVED my Olympus point and shoot and it was really a fantastic camera, until I lost the power cord. Guess what? You cannot buy a replacement at any store. Olympus considers that (and all cords, so even the download one for your computer) a repair item so you have to order it directly from them. Since I couldn't find it two days before my honeymoon and didn't have time to order, I bought a Sony point and shoot and it's fantastic. It takes amazing pictures, and I'm picky. Plus, I can buy extra parts easily at the store. I have to admit, I'm totally impressed with it. Check my blog (in my siggy line) for today's post with a scrapbook page. The pictures on the page were taken with the automatic setting on my Sony.

I'm also about to buy a Cannon Rebel as I want to take more close up pictures. I'll be buying a much better lens than the crappy one they normally come with. I'm also excited to get a camera that I can change the lenses on, though I have to admit that when I'll carry the Sony more often as it's simply smaller and lighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
Another vote for the rebel! Love it! Feels a little professional, too. Before that, I had an Olympus stylus that was really easy to use, and took nice pictures. It was great until my son knocked it off the back of my car. Didn't take the drop well!
They are pissy on that. Pentaxes are also not overly durable, though they take great pictures. However, Cannons and Sonys will take a beating. My husband's old Cannon point and shoot looks like he ran over it with the car and it still takes great shots - 8 years later. Our two year old Sony is pretty beaten up and takes pictures like the day we got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

This really depends on what you are looking for. Do you mind carrying something larger around or do you want something that will fit in your purse. I have both. I have always been a Canon user, and they are the best IMO. I have a Canon 50D, a Canon Rebel XT, and a Canon G10. I LOVE my G10 when I want something for my purse. It takes AMAZING shots plus you can shoot video. But I also love my big 50D. I took my G10 on our last trip to Hawaii because I decided I didn't want to take the big camera. You can see how AMAZING this little camera is by looking at some photos I took here. Scroll down because there are two posts with pics. I also use it to shoot video of our parrots and post on YouTube. You can see how well the G10 handles video by looking here. I definitely love the cameras I have but you will need to determine how big of one you want to carry around. Blessings,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I would suggest that before you invest in a camera whether it's a P&S or dSLR that if someone you know has one that you like, consider borrowing it even if it's for a couple of hours and take pictures of some cards and see how you like the results. You can probably also take a card with you to a camera store (as they are more likely to have one that you can actually play around with) and do the same. I have a P&S that is okay and when I take pictures of cards I have to go in the dining room, turn on the overhead light and find a spot where the sun shines in and take the picture there. Otherwise even with the flash the picture comes out dark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
They are pissy on that. Pentaxes are also not overly durable, though they take great pictures. However, Cannons and Sonys will take a beating. My husband's old Cannon point and shoot looks like he ran over it with the car and it still takes great shots - 8 years later. Our two year old Sony is pretty beaten up and takes pictures like the day we got it.
Lucky you! This thread caught my eye because I dropped my 1 year old Sony Cybershot this weekend and it won't do anything except make ominous whirring sounds...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

My son bought me a Sony DSC-W220 for chiristmas for a "purse" camera and it takes wonderful pictures! I love having a little camera that is always in my purse and ready for the unexpected.

My "good" camera is a Sony a350 dslr which takes wonderful pictures. So far we have had very good luck with Sony.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Cannon SX20is=love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Lucky you! This thread caught my eye because I dropped my 1 year old Sony Cybershot this weekend and it won't do anything except make ominous whirring sounds...
Mine's also a Cybershot. The paint is scraped off of most of the edges (we keep it in our pockets a lot), there are some dings on the bottom, and some scrapes on the top. It still works fine! Sorry yours isn't working.

Try truly rebooting yours. Meaning, take out the battery and let it sit overnight. Then, put the battery back in and start it up. Hey, if it works for laptops, it might work for the camera too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
I love Pentax! I had a regular SLR of theirs for years before I went digital. Then my family gave me a Canon digital camera. It was okay, but I still kept my Pentax because I loved that camera and it had way more features and options. Then Pentax advertised that their digital SLR camera was able to take all Pentax lenses, and since I already had three lenses, I got a Pentax "body". I've had that camera for five years now and have never been disappointed. There's not a "lag" like I noticed with the Canon, and apparantly, you can get a different memory card to help reduce that lag even further. Good luck in your quest.

Ditto on the Pentax! One of the things that sold me on Pentax is that their body is all metal, even the "guts", so if you are unfortunate to drop it, it's more than likely fixable. Whereas Canon and Nikon have plastic guts so if you drop them there's no fixing to it you just have to buy a new camera. And with Pentax, in a pinch you can buy regular AA batteries to use. Canon's require proprietary batteries so if you're battery goes dead on vacation and the only thing around is a convenience store you're SOL. Not so with the Pentax, buy a few regular AA's to get you through - and alot of stores carry the Lithium's that Pentax uses so you're covered.

Pentax is usually less expensive than comparable models of Canon and Nikon. I have a Pentax K100D Super. I think I paid $500 for the body and lens set. The pictures I took on vacation to Estes Park, CO last summer are spectacular. And it's probably more the camera and less the camera operator that made them such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Just bought a Nikon S220 (P&S) for cheap on Amazon. 10mp. Now DH and I each have one, plus the bigger SLR. I set mine on continous shots for soccer games, just gotta to remember to be light fingered on the trigger. Otherwise I get a hundred pics.
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I recently bought the Canon Rebel T1i, and I am in LOVE with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #21  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Canon SD750 and it takes amazing photos in any kind of setting - the macro ones are fantastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Hubby bought me the Nikon D3000 for Valentines Day!! I am in love... I get amazing photos already. (We did a lot of research before buying a DSLR. Hubby's cousin is an award winning professional photographer and she HIGHLY recommended the Nikon. If you have a minute check out Their blog-Justin and Mary Their wedding photos are pure art!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
Mine's also a Cybershot. The paint is scraped off of most of the edges (we keep it in our pockets a lot), there are some dings on the bottom, and some scrapes on the top. It still works fine! Sorry yours isn't working.

Try truly rebooting yours. Meaning, take out the battery and let it sit overnight. Then, put the battery back in and start it up. Hey, if it works for laptops, it might work for the camera too!
Yip, did that (based on exactly the same premise!) I've let it sit for almost a week now and although I finally did get it to switch back on, it was all out of focus and only stayed on for a couple of seconds before I got an error message. I think I have killed it :(
Appreciate the suggestion though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

One of the things I found when I was searching for a camera is that going into a store and actually holding it and playing with some of the features helps a lot. I was looking at either a Canon or a Nikon SLR... I ended up with the Nikon D60. I have small hands and the body is quite a bit smaller than the Canon. It takes beautiful photos and I am very happy with it. My Hubby liked it so much he bought one for himself for when he travels for work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Canon and I love it. I have no trouble taking photos of cards with no flash. It is a P&S-'cause that is what I do best. It takes regular AA batteries. I actually have rechargeable batteries in it and they last quite a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I have a Kodak Easy Share Z1012 IS and I absolutely love it! we paid $350 for it and It is very comparable to the $1000-$1500 cameras. we did a lot of homework before buying it. But I know people like camera's for different reasons.
Hope it helps,
Jacque
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

I have been an amateur photographer for years and have been into digital (after giving up my geriatric Canon AE-1 kicking and screaming) about 8 years ago. I have had a number of digital cameras in a variety of brands and have found the Kodaks to be the most user friendly but I think they are "fragile." I recently treated myself to a DSLR Canon SXI and JUST love it! If you are looking for a simple to use camera that takes great photos, my vote is Kodak (any of them). If you want to take the plunge...the Canon XSI gets my vote hands down!
www.cindyleek.myctmh.com
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Thoreau
Reply With Quote Likes