Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from a PTI newbie - what's your favorite..

Hi Ladies,
I have recently been introduced to PTI by a friend. I want to place my first order but not sure what to buy first. I do see a bunch of stamp sets I like and a bunch of colors as well but have limited funds. I would like to know what is your favorite set, color, ink type etc.. I realize personal taste plays a factor but I would like to know what would you consider "a staple product you cannot live without" from papertrey ink that you think I should try.. thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would buy white or cream cardstock, the colored cardstock sampler, envelopes, a sentiment stamp set, a background stamp set, another stamp set with images you like, a roll of ribbon and a black ink pad if you don't have one. You will be able to make a variety of cards with these supplies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I would suggest getting a sampler pack of paper and then a package of white, kraft and cream paper. I would also get some of the neutral ink pads and then depending on what colors you tend to lean towards a few of the cubes instead of the full size pads. Ribbon is also a must. I prefer the twill and the swiss dot satin.

As for stamps I use Mega Mixed Messages all the time. I do also like Blooming Button Bits. You would need to get some buttons to go with the set. I'm not sure what you mainly stamps so I don't know what other stamp sets to suggest for you. I would suggest looking at the PTI gallery here on SCS to see some samples.

You might want to wait until the 15th to place an order. That is when the next release comes out. There many be additional colors of paper that are released. I am sure that they will also be releasing a new sampler pack with all the paper colors released in 2009.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I love PTI's "Turning a New Leaf" and "Spiral Bouquet" stamp sets, as well as their kraft cardstock. I don't know what stamping style you prefer, but if you like the clean and simple look, or just want some inspiration using PTI stamps, check out Lateblossom's gallery:
LateBlossom's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

The above suggestions are great. Also, I would wait until the 15th when their new release come out. They will be having some new items, as described on Nichole Heady's blog today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My new "go to" set is Baby Button Bits. I've made a bunch of cards with it, and haven't even used it for a baby card yet! If you like coloring, the Vintage Picnic is another great set. Don't worry, before long, you'll be hooked on PTI!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info. I want to hear what other people love from this company... is it their white cardstock or a certain stamp set etc.. what item stands out that separates pti from other companies.. I have baby button bits on my wish list but never heard of vintage picnic. I will have to check it out. Thanks! Keep the advice coming!
Kacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I totally agree that the cardstock sampler is a great start. I really like the background stamps from PTI - so easy to create many different looks with them, from subtle (with Versamark), to bold & colourful (alternating colours as you build up your background). Most people like the Mega Mixed Messages as someone else mentioned - very versatile. I personally like Beautiful Blooms because the designs are quite simple but easy to combine.

If you are into buttons, then perhaps the Holiday Button mix is a good choice as there are several colours mixed in there. Maybe PTI will be introducing a button sampler like the cardstock sampler...?
I also use my Dark Choc ink pad all the time - goes with everything.

Another good reason to wait until after Feb 15 to order - if you get hooked on their stamps (like so many of us have been!), the 'new' year for the anniversary set (assuming they continue with this) begins then - if you buy 12 sets within the year you get a bonus.

Have fun & welcome to the addiction! ;)

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Default PTI

If I were going to try PTI' s stuff for the first time, I'd look at what I already have and try to fill in the gaps. I use the polka dot background a lot and the one with the crosses (blessings?), I've used the tags and the trademarks a lot also. The paper is super and I've bought punches too (can't beat free postage on punches!). Have you seen the sneak peeks for this month? It looks as though some of the dies are in my future for sure!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

While I'm fairly new to PTI, a few things I love-their cardstock-esp white, cream & kraft.
Ribbons & buttons are beautiful and great quality. Their Fresh Snow pigment ink is amazing! I only have about 5 of their stamps sets, Couch set & couch extras are my fav.
I've also enjoyed their sampler packs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a ton of PTI stuff.
Besides the white, cream and kraft, I really have gotten to love the Rustic White and Rustic Cream cardstock. Matching envelopes are great!

For colors, definitely get the sampler, so you can see what colors you really like. But I've found that even if a color doesn't grab me right away, I end up finding that it's perfect for something later. I do use Pure Poppy, Ripe Avocado, Spring Moss and the Chocolate a lot.

I love the twill ribbon and use it most, but I like the grosgrain and the others too.

The buttons are great - they coordinate and you'll find a range of color tone in each package, as different materials take the color in different ways.

As for stamps - there are so many to choose from. Others have mentioned some really good ones, but it depends on your stamping style and what you already have. Their stamp sets are incredibly versatile and you can use so many of them together in a never-ending variety of ways. You might want to go back and look at Nichole's release posts - that would show you great ideas for each set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Another vote for the paper sample pack...and white CS...once I tried the white for card bases, I could never go back to anything else!

My favorite stamp set now is On My Couch...cold Wisconsin winters just lend themselves to that set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Im a big fan of PTI also and have lots of products now. But if I was just starting out I would get the following:

Cardstock - Vintage Cream, Cardstock Sampler
PP - Green Tea Leaves
Background Stamp Set - Damask Design or Polka Dot Basics
Sentiment Stamp Set - Mega Mixed Messages
Image Stamp Set - Tea for Two, Giga Guidelines, or a button set
Ink - Dark Chocolate and Fresh Snow
Ribbon - Satin or Twill to match your cardstock

You can get lots of ideas for cards if you go to the company gallery here on SCS or on the PTI forum. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my first PTI order of 18 packs of cardstock. It is all YUMMY!!! The white is perfect and the best! I have converted and will never ever buy SU cardstock again. It is PTI cardstock for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

When I started I bought a small pack of each of the colored papers, the small ink pads in each color, a couple ribbons. As for the stamp sets I got a floral and a sentiment set to start with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I addition the the previous suggestions, I have to add:

* Aqua mist paper and ribbon -- so soft and beautiful
* Signature Greetings stamp set -- very versatile and can stand alone on a card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Their cardstock is awesome. It's so thick. I like the white and vintage cream for card bases. I find myself using the "Birthday Basics" set all the time. If you like using buttons, any of the Button Bit sets would be a good choice. And my personal favorite right now is "Through the Trees". You might want to wait until tomorrow to order. They are introducing several new sets, dies, embossing plates, felt, paint and more starting at midnight. You might find something else that is a must have after seeing what's new. Check out this blog for more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's my take for each category:

Card stock: All the colors, kraft & cream. I use the white for card base. But would recommend Gina K's Luxury white for Copics if you're a Copics lover like myself.

Ink: sorry, I don't really care for their inks. All the ones that I have are now collecting dust. I'm a Memento girl!

Buttons: Don't have to get them all since some colors are very close to another. For example, if you get Rasp. Fizz...you won't have to get Hibiscus Pink.

Ribbons: my fav. are twill & satin.
Stamp sets: this is a broad one so I'll list my favorite in each category:

* Floral - In Bloom & Garden of Life
* Sentiments - Birthday Basic, Communique Sentiments (luv that font!) & Signature Greetings
* Background - Polka Dots Basic II & Text Style I
* Nature/All purpose - Turning a New Leaf, Through the Trees & On the Couch.

HTH!! and honestly, you can't go wrong with PTI... you'll be hooked!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

My recommendations would be to get one of the new cardstock samplers. I love all of the colors, but this would give you a good feel for the colors. Once you decide which colors are your favorites, you could order some of the ink spots on your next order. They also have a couple different button mixes to choose from...yet another way to get a good variety. I love all of their neutral card stock...I use the white, cream and kraft the most. As far as stamps...what occasion(s) do you make the most cards for? I woulc choose based off of that. I love all of their Background Basics...but would definitely start with Polka Dot Basics 2...it's my favorite! Welcome to the PTI club! Also, do check out their forum...I love it over there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Favorites-

Color- Spring Moss
Stamp set- Wishing You
Ribbon- Saddle Stitch

Reply With Quote Likes