Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you buy replacement blades for a Tonic 6" paper cutter?

My mini Tonic paper cutter has seen better days. It no longer cuts cleanly, despite trying to sharpen it with aluminum foil. I have Googled and gone to Tonic's web site, but I can't find replacement blades. Does anyone know if they are available (or a source, if they are)? Please?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send an email to Tonic off their website. They respond pretty quickly and are very good about backing up their product. I believe their trimmers are self sharpening so that may be the reason they don't sell replacement blades. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I just sent them an email.

I had contacted them several months ago, when this problem started (it's worse now), and they told me a) that I needed to tighten the screws and b) the blades were NOT self-sharpening. I was disappointed because I'd heard good things about their service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, if you got your money's worth, maybe it's time to just buy a replacement (although that's not very green, is it?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
Well, if you got your money's worth, maybe it's time to just buy a replacement (although that's not very green, is it?).
No, it seems a waste IMO to toss the whole thing when only a small part needs to be replaced. but, if need be, I'll buy another one (different brand), making sure it has replaceable blades *before* I buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What about trying to sharpen it yourself with a whitestone?

Hi, I was reading your thread and was concerned because I own both the 12" base and the 8" portable guillotine Tonic trimmers and was hoping that they would not need to be replaced in the future either. So far they still work very well but I've only owned them for a year or so.

At any rate, I was wondering, if you are thinking of replacing the unit anyway, perhaps it's worth a try to sharpen the blades with a whitestone (I believe this is what is used to sharpen dull knives, not the honing stick). I was reading somewhere that the Tonic guillotine trimmer can theoretically get dull over time by having the metal get rounded where it should be straight (but not sharp) for cutting. (That site claimed though that Tonic Studios had not received one complaint of dull blades in the three years they sold the products in the UK, but clearly that's still not the case, at least in the US.)

If it's the rounding of the blades that causes the trimmer to dull over time, perhaps a tool (like a whitestone) that sharpens knives would work on the blades of the trimmer?

If you didn't feel comfortable doing this yourself, perhaps there is a professional knife sharpener service you can consider (although I wonder how much it would cost.) I'm not sure, but the old guillotines that were used by schools could be sharpened, and even though they are completely different, maybe that sharpening service could also handle the Tonic trimmer? Just a thought.

Good luck and please keep us posted,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Doreen,
I too have the 12" trimmer and it is holding up fine, but the smaller one gets more use, cutting layers and smaller pieces of cardstock.

I guess I have nothing to lose by trying to sharpen them. A local hardware store does sharpening of all sorts of things, so I could ask them if I do not hear back from Tonic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
Doreen,
I too have the 12" trimmer and it is holding up fine, but the smaller one gets more use, cutting layers and smaller pieces of cardstock.

I guess I have nothing to lose by trying to sharpen them. A local hardware store does sharpening of all sorts of things, so I could ask them if I do not hear back from Tonic.
Yeah, I understand. I use my smaller one for the same purpose. Can I ask you how long you've owned your 6" trimmer? It would give us an estimate as to lifespan of these trimmers.

I really do hope Tonic comes through for you. It would be such a shame to have produced a solid product that is "disposable." I mean, if the blades have screws, then couldn't they theoretically be replaced if they are dull?

I agree with you, waiting to hear back from Tonic is a good idea. The sharpening should be a last resort. I hope they offer to replace or sharpen your blades. At the very least offer to send replacement blades for a small fee.

Keep us posted,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
I really do hope Tonic comes through for you. It would be such a shame to have produced a solid product that is "disposable." I mean, if the blades have screws, then couldn't they theoretically be replaced if they are dull?

I agree with you, waiting to hear back from Tonic is a good idea. The sharpening should be a last resort. I hope they offer to replace or sharpen your blades. At the very least offer to send replacement blades for a small fee.
I can't remember specifically, but about 18-24 months. I use the small one almost daily.

Yes, it has several "screws" with a triangle-type head to them, so it appears that the blades could be replaced, but I would have to buy a special screwdriver tip (which is fine with me).

Now I am wondering if there are blades for the larger one too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

When I emailed that mine was shredding paper (the 12 inch), they send me free replacement blades.
Since then, they have replaced the entire trimmer twice, so I say they do stand behind their products!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Still no reply to my message. Hoping I hear soon. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default can you b uy replacement blades for a tonic 6" cutter

I winter in Arizona and bought a 12 inch Tonic last year. Last week I went back to the same LSS and purchased a package of 3 cuttingblades for $6.50

Do you think that these would also fit a 6" because if memory serves me I think they are all about the same size. I could be wrong but you might want to check this out where you bought your Tonic.

They are presently trying to find a new scoring blade for me as I want to have a spare.Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Do you think that these would also fit a 6" because if memory serves me I think they are all about the same size. I could be wrong but you might want to check this out where you bought your Tonic.
I don't think those blades would work. This trimmer is very small, as are the blades, but thanks for asking.

I am very disappointed in that I did not receive any response to my email. I guess I will start looking for a new (non Tonic) small trimmer. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is there a toll free number you can call? Maybe try emailing again...your email could have been lost in the CHA shuffle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Can you buy replacement blades for a Tonic 6" paper cutter

Quote:

I don't think those blades would work. This trimmer is very small, as are the blades, but thanks for asking.

I am very disappointed in that I did not receive any response to my email. I guess I will start looking for a new (non Tonic) small trimmer. :(
The reason I suggested it ,is that I also have a small 6 " Fisker cutter and the blades that replace those look the same siZe as the ones for my 12 " Tonic. But that is in the package so no way of knowing until you could have a good look.

I am so pleased with my Tonic which I bought after all the recommendations I read here, and just picked up a package of 3 cutting blades from the same LSS that I purchased it from.

I also wanted to purchase an extra scoring blade which they have been trying to find for me ,as they have several distributors they buy from. They are also going to contact Tonic and aske them where they can be purchased.

So I would second the previous poster, and perhaps send them another email and perhaps you will have more success.Good luck, and let us know if you do hear from Tonic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default V-type or the guillotine type trimmer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
The reason I suggested it ,is that I also have a small 6 " Fisker cutter and the blades that replace those look the same siZe as the ones for my 12 " Tonic. But that is in the package so no way of knowing until you could have a good look.

I am so pleased with my Tonic which I bought after all the recommendations I read here, and just picked up a package of 3 cutting blades from the same LSS that I purchased it from.

I also wanted to purchase an extra scoring blade which they have been trying to find for me ,as they have several distributors they buy from. They are also going to contact Tonic and aske them where they can be purchased.

So I would second the previous poster, and perhaps send them another email and perhaps you will have more success.Good luck, and let us know if you do hear from Tonic.
Hi Canada Goose,

I'm just wondering, but are you referring to Tonic's V-blade trimmer (you drag a blade down a plastic guide)? Once I read your post about a scoring blade, I was sure it couldn't be the guillotine type, which to my knowledge doesn't score. The guillotine style is similar to the ones used in schools. I think there might be a mix-up here.

I was excited to hear about replacement blades until I realized maybe we weren't talking about the same type trimmer. Thanks for trying to cheer us up though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
When I emailed that mine was shredding paper (the 12 inch), they send me free replacement blades.
Since then, they have replaced the entire trimmer twice, so I say they do stand behind their products!

Anne
Hi, is your trimmer the guillotine style or a rotary or v-type blade trimmer? I am just wondering if the one I own might start shredding paper and if so, whether Tonic will replace the blades also (if we share the same type trimmer).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Ok, I have sent a second email to them this morning. There appears to be NO phone number on their web site, so calling is not an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Can you buy replacement blades for a Tonic 6" paper cutter

My apologies as I have never seen a 6" Tonic of any typ, so I misunderstood the type of cutter.

Once again I would have to agree that you hAave nothing to loose, by trying to get it sharpened professionally if you dont feel comfortable doing it your self.

It's funny how we get used to certain tools which become our favorites and we want to keep on using them. Once again good luck and sorry for the mistake in the type of paper trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Canada goose, no problem. I might try getting it sharpened; what have I got to lose? I'm now wondering if I should look at "office" type cutters instead (I'm going to start a new thread about this).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have the v-blade trimmer you can use the fiskarss blades. I have the 602 12" trimmer and when I can'g find the blades I use fiskars (the straight handle, not the curved one).

Do a google search on these words and you will lots of sites that sell the replacement blades (if you have the v blade)

tonic 602 trimmer replacement blades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
If you have the v-blade trimmer you can use the fiskarss blades. I have the 602 12" trimmer and when I can'g find the blades I use fiskars (the straight handle, not the curved one).

Do a google search on these words and you will lots of sites that sell the replacement blades (if you have the v blade)

tonic 602 trimmer replacement blades
I looked these up and they appear to be for the rotary trimmer. I have the mini guiotine (sp) version.

Still no word from Tonic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I looked these up and they appear to be for the rotary trimmer. I have the mini guiotine (sp) version.

Still no word from Tonic.
Oh well, the one I have is not a rotary it's the V blade, sorry

I pm'd you with the contact that helped me, I don't know if he is still at tonic but it might help

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 02-12-2010 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Oh well, the one I have is not a rotary it's the V blade, sorry

I pm'd you with the contact that helped me, I don't know if he is still at tonic but it might help
Thanks. I just sent him a note.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you again, stamphappy. I did receive a response, but unfortunately, the blades are not replaceable. Still, I'm going to see if I can remove them and have our hardware store sharpen them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Thank you again, stamphappy. I did receive a response, but unfortunately, the blades are not replaceable. Still, I'm going to see if I can remove them and have our hardware store sharpen them.
I have the 6" Guillotine and I was happy with it until I tried to cut thru 2 layers of card stock. :(

Now, it appears I've loosened that screw/hinge and there's not enough torque to get a clean slice--I have to push the blade handle tight to the machine as I'm slicing downward.

I may see if my hubby can get in there and tighten the screw for me . . . hopefully he has a tool that will work because it'll be a pain hunting for a "special" tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I may see if my hubby can get in there and tighten the screw for me . . . hopefully he has a tool that will work because it'll be a pain hunting for a "special" tool.
I am hoping DH has a tool that will work among his bicycle tools. If not, I'm not going to buy something--who knows how much that will cost! :O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Update: I brought my cutter to work, and a co-worker has a Y-shaped bit that worked to remove the screws. The blade came right off, and I'm going to take it to the hardware store to get it sharpened. The last time I got a knife sharpened it was $3, so I won't be losing much. I'll let you know what happens with the sharpening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Hmmm, I had no idea the guillitine cutter wasn't self sharpening. I guess I'll consider buying a "real" office guillitine cutter before getting a Tonic 12" then.

So far I LOVE my 6" Guillitine. I also have the 6" V cutter but I'm not a fan. Even with brand new blades it doesn't cut as well as I'd like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Is this the little mini 6" cutter you are talking about? I got mine about 2 years ago and have had no problems with it, but then I only paid less than $20 for it, so I suppose I would just replace it if it started giving me issues. I have only cut through one sheet of card stock at a time though so maybe I have been *too* easy on it. LOL. Sorry you are having issues. I have the big 12 x 12 trimmer, the 6" x 12" and the mini 6" by them, I love them all and would surely buy them again. Before that I had a Creative Memories little 6" mini trimmer, but it never worked very good. When I had a problem with my first 12 x 12 trimmer they mailed me out a new one and told me to keep the old one too. I gave that one to one of my kid's high school teachers to use in her classroom, since she wasn't going to be using it like I was.

Good luck with the sharpening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3View Post
Is this the little mini 6" cutter you are talking about?
Yes, the tiny one. The hardware store called and said that they would try and sharpen the blade, and they guessed it should work ok. (I guess the blades of some cutters don't work sharpen well.) I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Yes, the tiny one. The hardware store called and said that they would try and sharpen the blade, and they guessed it should work ok. (I guess the blades of some cutters don't work sharpen well.) I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!
Update:
I picked up the cutter from the hardware store tonight. Unfortunately, the guy there said it could not be sharpened or adjusted. He said cutters like this are "throw aways." He's been working for this store for many years and obviously new a lot about paper cutters, so I trust his judgement.

So, for anyone who has one of these mini cutters, sadly, they will have to be thrown away. What a shame.
Reply With Quote Likes