Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default How did you get started in stamping?

For me, it was an off-shoot of scrapbooking. I started scrapbooking 8 1/2 years ago; and when I went to my then lss for the first time, I saw the most wonderful rubber stamps I'd ever seen in my life. I was hooked immediately. After playing around a little by myself, I took a few classes. The rest is history.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was invited to a Stampin' Up! demo. I didn't get interested from it though. I did buy a stamp and ink but it collected dust. It was a year or so later when I had to make a card for my then husband that I stumbled upon a scrapbook store and the pretty things in there got me more excited about stamping. I was somewhat scrapbooking then too and I started collecting since (this was 2000 or 01). I didn't really get into it until 2007 though and now I'm just bloggin' and stampin' and scrapbookin' and everything else in between

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

offshoot from scrapbooking for me too. I used to be a pretty hardcore scrapbooker, several pages a day, scrapping crap that didn't even need scrapping just because I was so addicted, I truly WAS caught up all the time, I did pages for other people for hire and stuff too.

Then I got some Hero Arts letter stamps, thinking they would be easy and cheaper in the long run than stickers, then I discovered embossing powder (EP is like the hussy of the cardmaking world, so shiny and exciting, hot stuff draws you right in, then you are hooked for life) So I had to get some embossing powder worthy stamps... I don't really know what happened after that. I guess I stumbled into a stamp store, you know as opposed to a store that is mostly for scrapbookers, this store was just jammed with stamps.

And that's pretty much the end of the story.

Now I'm feeling proud if I do one scrapbook page a month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

My friend stamped and never scrapped, and I scrapped and never stamped. We got together to teach each other both thinking "yeah, I'll never get into that"......

Years later she does nothing but scrap, and I do nothing but stamp! How crazy is that???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I went on a cruise to Mexico with friends (four of whom spent every spare minute scrapbooking!!). The last day one of them suggested making a card for our waiter and asst. waiter. She took a piece of cardstock and folded it, stamped, double-stamped, tied a bow........I was dumbstruck! (Thinking furiously to myself: I COULD DO THAT!!! (I'd never really had an artistic talent before...but I figured I could stamp a design!))

Came home, went out and spent a lot of money unwisely (because I really didn't know what I was doing), but just practiced and tried new things, went on-line and got ideas, went to a couple of Stampin Up! open houses...and have just had an absolute BALL with this fantastic hobby!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found THIS site.

All I was looking for was info on a cuttlebug ....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
For me, it was an off-shoot of scrapbooking. I started scrapbooking 8 1/2 years ago; and when I went to my then lss for the first time, I saw the most wonderful rubber stamps I'd ever seen in my life. I was hooked immediately. After playing around a little by myself, I took a few classes. The rest is history.
YOU ... it was all YOU! :-D:-D:-D

I enjoyed all the classes and workshops you did - and fell in love with many images. But it wasn't until I was laid off in Fall 2003 that I really started making cards on my own. I shudder at the thought of the Jolee stickers on some of those first Christmas cards but I ran out of the stuff I hoarded over the years and all that was available (then) was Michael's. At least (I think) I had enough SU cardstock and ink.

Now I have over 100 SU stamp sets, at least 6 TAC sets and uncounted loose stamps from many companies (Hero Arts, Savvy, Seaside Stamping, Repeat Impressions, Heartfelt Impressions, Stampabilities, Paper Inspirations, Outlines, DRS Designs, and more I cannot think of at the moment). I even own a few clear stamps (but rarely use them).

So, from the bottom of my glitter-covered heart - THANK YOU!

Last edited by TeeGeeDee; 02-09-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #8  

It's all Colleen's fault (my best girlfriend who now lives in CO). I scrapped, but didn't really like it, and she said, "Why don't you try stamping? I'm a DEMO!" Famous last words...

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom turned me on to Card Making/Stamping in 2005 when I went to stay with her because she had to have a lung removed due to Cancer. I fell in love. Prior to that I had been Scrapbooking since 2001. well now I hate to scrapbook but love making cards sometimes stamping and sometimes not. I have enough things to open a store and more paper then can be used in 4 lifetimes and Yes I always buy more. I am hoping this year will be a year I buy alot less and use alot more!

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

A CTMH demo was holding free classes in the community where I lived in 2002. I went (for five years) because it was something to do. Of course, by the end of the five years, I found I really enjoyed stamping. Thank goodness I found SCS a month before she stopped holding the classes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About $35,000 ago ....

I went to a local craft store to buy poster board for my kid's science project and saw a row of jars with colored powders.

I crept closer looking around for a clue as to what this stuff was ...the jars were labeled "embossing powder" but there were no directions.

I asked a clerk, who pointed out a book on Rubber Stamping. And that was that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

A friend took me to a SU class/party and we made 5 cards. I bought a stamp set, I think it was a Christmas one, some ink, and cardstock. The demo also told us about SCS and I checked it out and was hooked after that, that was 6 yrs ago, now I have my own craft room and enough supplies for several stores and love it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Went to a stamping party just to get out of the house. That was about 15 years ago and about $$$$$$$ (can't admit to amount) ago. Can't imagine my life without stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
About $35,000 ago ....
ROFLMAO!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

A friend of my mothers gave me an old box of rubber stamps that she used when teaching Sunday School.....that was about 25 years ago! I've pretty much been hooked every since. I've scrapbooked, quilted, made jewelry etc but I always seem to gravitate back to stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to make some invites for a friend's baby shower (well, to be honest, the co-host who lived in Canada suggested we make invites and I wasn't about to be outdone). I did a crash course in cardmarking, spent a lot of $ at M's and produced some lovely invites. After that successful adventure, I stumbled into a local stamping store and fell in love. That was about 7 years ago. Now, I can truthfully scoff at the notion that you can save money by making your own cards. Well, okay if you already have purchased the Cricut Expression, 25 cart's for the Cricut, the Big Shot/Wizard/Cuttlebug embossing machines [yes, I do have all 3], Xyron [large and small], Copics [over 100], a lot of adhesive (love my ATG!), a Scor-Pal, bone folder, 15 different black inks [like black shoes, a girl can never have too many black inks], embossing buddy, embossing powder, and 100's of stamps, coordinating CS and ribbon, buttons, glitter, Stickles in every hue, then you can come close to a cost-efficient card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I went to a Knitting and Stitching show and saw a demo of heat embossing - bought a couple of pens, some EP and a couple of stamps. Took me several years after that to really get into it though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
YOU ... it was all YOU! :-D:-D:-D

I enjoyed all the classes and workshops you did - and fell in love with many images. But it wasn't until I was laid off in Fall 2003 that I really started making cards on my own. I shudder at the thought of the Jolee stickers on some of those first Christmas cards but I ran out of the stuff I hoarded over the years and all that was available (then) was Michael's. At least (I think) I had enough SU cardstock and ink.

Now I have over 100 SU stamp sets, at least 6 TAC sets and uncounted loose stamps from many companies (Hero Arts, Savvy, Seaside Stamping, Repeat Impressions, Heartfelt Impressions, Stampabilities, Paper Inspirations, Outlines, DRS Designs, and more I cannot think of at the moment). I even own a few clear stamps (but rarely use them).

So, from the bottom of my glitter-covered heart - THANK YOU!
From the bottom of mine, you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a Christmas market in the Netherlands with my 12 yr. old daughter and her friend who both wanted to buy something. We came across a woman demonstrating a very different kind of punch and I talked the girls into buying a little starter kit so they could both make their xmas cards. That never happened - so the other girl's Mom and I decided we would all sign up for a cardmaking course on the army base we were living on. We could spend some mother/daughter time and learn something new! Turned out the girls had to be 16 (it was Adult Education after all) so we went to the classes without them. My friend who still lives in Germany and I who live in Canada are still stamping away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I just wanted a white ink pad for a thing I wanted to do in scrapbooking. That's all. Couldn't find one and someone online suggested the SU one. Had never heard of them but found a demo, got a stamp pad, started hearing more about them, got a catalogue and that was the end of me ....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #21  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Oh I love hearing everyone's stories!!!

My DH and I had recently moved from Louisiana to Illinois...

We were visiting a church and a gal invited me to a SU workshop.... I thought, well, I'll go just meet people...

Um, yeah... once that stamp is in your hand...

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I saw a Stampin Up demo at a craft fair. SHe showed me how to make a card, and I was hooked. I later joined her hostess club, and enjoyed learning new techniques.
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I was invited to a Creative Memories party, couldn't go but had promised my daughter we would....so when I had to flake out on baby girl, she insisted we go to Michaels and buy some stuff and do a scrapbook. That trip was about $125 and two not completed scrapbooks later....she's off to college now, won't take the darned thing with her and there it sits uncompleted and sad.

My "box" of scrapping stuff is now an entire room, desk, cubbie wall unit and more! She (the insistent, spoiled baby girl) now thinks scrapping and crops and stamping is "lame"!

It's all her fault.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Two mom's of two of my kindergarten students began a SU workshop each month. At that time it was five cards for $5.00 at 5:00 pm. That was about four and a half years ago. One of the mom's still hosts our monthly workshop. Now it's 6 cards for $9.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I really got into it through my SU demo. We lived at an naval air-station and the same circle of us kept having workshops and ordering from each other. I spent over $1400 my first year stamping (that was just SU stuff). When she transferred to Italy I became a demo so I could get my supplies at a discount...we won't discuss how much I've spent since then.......had to let my demo status lapse due to moving and knowing no one/no sales but I'm gonna be back before SAB is over. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

I love this thread and love to tell my story. I was recovering from a wonderful life saving liver/kidney transplant and my cousin got me started scrapbooking to pass time, later in the year I went to my lss and was invited to wed. stamping class. Now I almost can't get in my craft room for stamps and tools and paper etc... Oh what fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I got bit by the stamping bug after attending a SU party for a friend of mine. I was not interested at all, but bought Mini Mates and a black ink pad to be nice thinking that I might possibly use that set. Subsequently, the demo called me and asked me to have a party. She was such a nice, fun person...I said, "What the heck, sure!" I've been hooked ever since. One of my friends was a demo for awhile and we used to joke about being addicted. She's moved on to other things and I'm still here loving it...completely addicted, but loving it!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

when my daughter went to collage, she asked me to send her mail. Cards seemed like the logical choice. One card a week just about the whole time she was in school! Discovering this site and Stampin Up! took my card making to a whole new level, best thing that ever happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

In August 1998, my cousin invited me to a SU! workshop. I was hooked instantly!! Even my mother mentioned how excitedly interested I was with the craft. My frist stamp set purchased was Jack-O-Lantern. I still have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's all my mother's fault!;)

In 1997 my dd had to have spinal surgery. My Mom brought her a plastic shoebox full of inkpads, embossing powders, stamps, and a heat gun. Showed her how to use it. DD was not interested in the least. I sat up every night and played with that stuff....And it doesn't fit in that plastic shoebox anymore:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

What wonderful, fond rememberances you all have!
I was invited to a Stampin Up workshop at a friend's house. I fell in love with the card I made, and signed up on the spot to have a workshop! The enthusiasm has never waned.
A fun side note: my sister was invited to that first workshop, but she wasn't particularly impressed. For several years, I stamped and quit inviting her to my workshops. Maybe 4 years later, I invited her to a workshop, and this time she fell in love and booked a workshop. I have no idea why it took so long for the but to bite her, but bite it did.
Now, we live about a half hour's drive apart, but love to get together to stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL! What a great thread!

I got bit at a SU! stamp card-making-demo-dealie ...
The combination of 'Hey, I can do that!' and 'Think of all the money I'll save.' Bwahahahahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I wanted to make cards and started in high school. This was my only creative thing i did. Now the sky is the limit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

I went to a SU workshop/demo at my neighbor's house and I won a 'Free' set as a door prize. I figure that 'free' set has cost me hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars. I guess it's true that there is no such thing as a 'free' lunch (or stamp set)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep I started by scrapbooking.. I would just scoot on past the stamp section in my LSS because I thought the prices were ridiculous FOR ONE STAMP and "you can't do much with stamps... they're boring.." hahaha..
Then I got invited to a Stampin' Up party and the rest was history.. that was a little over three years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #36  

Quote:

Well, I was a scrapbooker ... and on another message board. And one of the other members there, who lived in New York was stamping and posted some beautiful cards. And I wanted to try it. So I did. Then she had some cards with a SU! coffee set 'cos she was a SU! demo at the time. And I fell in love. And became a SU! demo five years ago!

So Jeanette - it's all your fault!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I started scrapbooking in 1996 when we went to Disney. A friend of mine decided to sign up to be a Stampin' Up! demo and asked me to a party. I went but it just wasn't anything I liked. Then in 2000 she asked me to another Stampin' Up! party and I loved it! The rest is history.

By the way, I only scrapbook when I "have" to!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

A friend of mine became a demo 10 years ago and I hosted a party for her to help her get started. I got Bow Bear, a black ink pad, white cardstock and the chalk pastels. I had so much fun making invitations and thank you's for my son's birthday with those few supplies and I've been stamping ever since. She's still a demo, we're still great friends, and I'm pretty sure I'm her "best" customer. {wink}

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Well, I was a scrapbooker ... and on another message board. And one of the other members there, who lived in New York was stamping and posted some beautiful cards. And I wanted to try it. So I did. Then she had some cards with a SU! coffee set 'cos she was a SU! demo at the time. And I fell in love. And became a SU! demo five years ago!

So Jeanette - it's all your fault!
It's all true! You and Tina have me to thank for your addiction (I mean hobby). You know, Gail, I still have that set. It's Espress Yourself by SU, and it's still one of my favorite sets. I'm so glad that you ladies are still going strong and have developed your own unique, special styles. You both make beautiful cards & "stuff."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #40  

Quote:

It's all true! You and Tina have me to thank for your addiction (I mean hobby). You know, Gail, I still have that set. It's Espress Yourself by SU, and it's still one of my favorite sets. I'm so glad that you ladies are still going strong and have developed your own unique, special styles. You both make beautiful cards & "stuff."
I still have the set too! It's my first SU! set ... and will stay forever!
Reply With Quote Likes