View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
kinglake
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
Challenges are often a great kick start if you get stuck in a rut. Just pick something that helps with whatever aspect you're stuck with (so a sketch challenge if you're not sure what layout you want to use, an inspiration challenge for something very free form, a colour challenge to get you using different colour combos etc). There's a different type of challenge every day here at SCS (plus a handful that change each week like the CAS one and Mother Mark's Teapot challenge) or there's a whole raft of them out there in blogland if you want to focus on a particular type for a while.

I also find it helps just to play a little and do it regularly. If you can take ten minutes out every day just to do something without necessarily having an end goal in mind you'll probably find you loosen up and feel more creative. If you're thinking "I need a card for Aunt Emma" or "Yikes, our anniversary is tomorrow - what can I make?" every time you sit down, I think you just end up feeling pressured rather than having fun and that can make you feel less creative. So try something like sitting down with a favourite stamp and colour combo, stamp a few times on scratch paper and then play round. Turn it at different angles - see anything different? What else would look great with it - could you maybe combine it with another image, either overstamped or masked? How does it look if you crop it down so it goes off the edges of your piece (use Post It notes to move around and cut off different parts of the image to give you an idea how it will look). You'll probably end up with an idea you want to stretch further and turn into a project for real. If you don't have the time to do it right there and then, just jot a note on your scratch piece and then come back to it later.

HTH!
Great advice! xx jo xx
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!