Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How much do you charge for your cards?
Under $2 6 8.70%
$2.50 19 27.54%
$3 19 27.54%
$3.50 3 4.35%
$4 8 11.59%
$4.50 2 2.90%
$5 and up 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you charge for your cards?

From what I read on here it seems people sell their cards really cheap and wondering how you make a profit! I am just getting into selling card and wanted a poll to find out approx how much you sell them for!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I sell mine for $2.50 or $3 with envelope included. I also make "flower cards" - ATC sized cards for the gift shop to put in their flowers. I sell those for 50 cents and she orders them in bulk and I can make 10 of the same design. I think I make more money on the "flower cards" comparitively.

People have mentioned that I sell my cards too cheaply and that I should raise the price. I'm just too chicken to. I want the stores to be able to mark them up and I want to give a good deal to my friends.

Besides, I just enjoy making cards, and this is a great way to "get rid" of them and make some money to buy more supplies to make more cards. Don't get me wrong. I use my cards for all occasions and send them to people, but I make lots of cards and have lots extra that I would never be able to use up all by myself. I even sent a box of cards to the military.

(Sorry, long rambling story... hope you don't mind)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrishGView Post
I sell mine for $2.50 or $3 with envelope included. I also make "flower cards" - ATC sized cards for the gift shop to put in their flowers. I sell those for 50 cents and she orders them in bulk and I can make 10 of the same design. I think I make more money on the "flower cards" comparitively.

People have mentioned that I sell my cards too cheaply and that I should raise the price. I'm just too chicken to. I want the stores to be able to mark them up and I want to give a good deal to my friends.

Besides, I just enjoy making cards, and this is a great way to "get rid" of them and make some money to buy more supplies to make more cards. Don't get me wrong. I use my cards for all occasions and send them to people, but I make lots of cards and have lots extra that I would never be able to use up all by myself. I even sent a box of cards to the military.

(Sorry, long rambling story... hope you don't mind)

thats interesting flower cards thnks for your reply, i am in alberta too ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that if you are into selling cards for profit that you pick a design and make several of that design. That wy you are getting paid more because less time is going into designing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I sell my cards for $5, but am NOT making a profit by any stretch of the imagination!!! I sell a card maybe once every few months when someone specifically asks me to make a card for them. Usually it is a friend and I would be happy to just give it to them, but don't want them to keep asking me over and over so I figure the $5 would be a deterrent to them asking me more frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sell my cards for a buck. I sell to friends, family and at some senior centers. I do not sell to make a profit. I sell to buy more supplies. LOL. I have several people that give me more because they think I sell them too cheap. I make cards for the love of it. Does that make sense? I did make some cute acetate boxes for a physical therapy place and sold them for a buck also. I only make the boxes and they filled them with the candy so I didn't have that expense. And the great news is they just ordered 15 more. And I think this will be a regular gig. I'm so excited!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't really think of gaining a "profit" when I sell my cards, I think of it more as a source of income for replenishing my supplies. I sell mine for $5 to friends/co-workers, and my cards sell for $6 at a flower shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

i sell mine for $3-$5 depending on how detailed it is and how much the person buys from me. i tend to add a lot of embellishments to my cards, ribbon, brad, buttons, glitter, etc, so i don't think i'm overcharging. i also get told that i sell them too cheap. but if someone is ordering 5 cards, i will cut them a deal, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I sell mine for $2 - 4, with $3.50 being the average price for most of the cards. When I make a large number of multiples of one card for someone I charge less because I am only creating one design and I can do them faster because I can do portions of them in assembly-line fashion. Almost all of my cards are A2 size, with a few square cards thrown in here and there. I do provide envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

i sell myne between $2.50 and $3.00 depending on how much stuff I put, but usually do myne simple and A2 size cards., I sell to friends and family and usually use the money to buy more stuff ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell for $4 online and to strangers and such.

My mother-in-law pays $2 (and several times a year I give her piles for free)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I don't sell my cards. I'm a crafter and make cards just for the love of creating them. I give my cards to friends in sets. I also will give cards to anyone who asks for some. I include a matching envelope (can't mail a card without an envelope). The sets are enclosed in an orgami folded box with a fancy lid.

I think what someone sells their cards for would greatly vary depending on their location and the market they are selling to.

No matter how much embellishment you put on them, they will only sell for the price people want to pay.

Some areas of the country (US) people are more inclined to pay a higher price than other areas even for the exact same card.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I sell mine for $5 (Canadian). I layer and embellish my cards a lot and can easily spend between 2 and 3 hours on most cards, so I don't really make much money with that price point but here is my reasoning:

1) $5 is better than having the cards start to pile up in my house

2) It's an round number so I don't have to carry a lot of change.

It just makes my life easier to charge that price. I have charged $7 for a very fancy card once that I wasn't willing to sell for $5, though, and the lady really liked it so she didn't even flinch at the price.

HTH!
Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I don't sell my cards. I'm a crafter and make cards just for the love of creating them. I give my cards to friends in sets. I also will give cards to anyone who asks for some. I include a matching envelope (can't mail a card without an envelope). The sets are enclosed in an orgami folded box with a fancy lid.

I think what someone sells their cards for would greatly vary depending on their location and the market they are selling to.

No matter how much embellishment you put on them, they will only sell for the price people want to pay.

Some areas of the country (US) people are more inclined to pay a higher price than other areas even for the exact same card.

Patti
You are so right, Patti. It would be very hard to sell a card for $5 in the area where I live. The people here would rather go to the dollar store for a card.

And I don't know if it's just me, but doesn't it seem like receiving cards in the mail isn't like it used to be? I mean, everyone sends messages via email, texting, phone, etc. anymore. My husband's birthday was just this past Saturday and you know....he didn't receive -not one card in the mail- not even from his own family! They just called him on the phone instead. And it isn't like my mil and my brother in law don't have any cards. I'm always giving them cards that I make. (sorry to get off topic here)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I normally just give my cards away or donate them. I've done one craft show and charged 2.25, but if I did another one I would charge less.
I just enjoy making them, so giving them away is fine with me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

After converting from euros, I voted for $5 and over. But I don't sell mine to make money, and on the whole I don't make to order (certainly not to a detailed request). But I can sell some of the cards I have made just for myself in work for that sort of price. It's just a bonus getting money for them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
You are so right, Patti. It would be very hard to sell a card for $5 in the area where I live. The people here would rather go to the dollar store for a card.

And I don't know if it's just me, but doesn't it seem like receiving cards in the mail isn't like it used to be? I mean, everyone sends messages via email, texting, phone, etc. anymore. My husband's birthday was just this past Saturday and you know....he didn't receive -not one card in the mail- not even from his own family! They just called him on the phone instead. And it isn't like my mil and my brother in law don't have any cards. I'm always giving them cards that I make. (sorry to get off topic here)
I was teling my husband that the other day, for Christmas I only received like 3 or 4 and none from family. I'm like wow so sad!
And i send everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I just started selling mine to my moms co-workers. I sell them anywhere from $2-$6 US dollars. (california but major recession mode) But they are still selling pretty fast. The thing is Even my $6 cards are not much of a profit because those are more lavish with lots of layers and embellies. Not to mention the time spent making them. If I am in the mood I will make a bunch and send them with my mom but I dont really like making mass qty's because then it becomes a huge task and my hobby begins to feel like a job, know what I mean. I think we all under sell them, these are specialty cards that you can't just buy anywhere. Our love for our hobby shows in the beauty of our cards!
Reply With Quote Likes